• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

Derpington

Smash Rookie
Interesting thread. My story is somewhat similar to yours. A few weeks ago I went to an anime con in Detroit and there was a tournament for melee. I of course signed up and was blown away by the competition. It was my first time seeing AT's and needless to say I was stunned. I had asked where they learned how to play and eventually looked up some vids on youtube etc and happened upon this website. I like you wish to improve and become good at this game.

- Sign to improve

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Interesting thread. My story is somewhat similar to yours. A few weeks ago I went to an anime con in Detroit and there was a tournament for melee. I of course signed up and was blown away by the competition. It was my first time seeing AT's and needless to say I was stunned. I had asked where they learned how to play and eventually looked up some vids on youtube etc and happened upon this website. I like you wish to improve and become good at this game.

- Sign to improve
This makes it all worth it.

edit/ Go to SWEET IV (MI), SSBO L (IN), or Smashing Grounds (IL) all tournaments this weekend with good players.

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51&prefixid=Midwest

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I'd say im still trying to advance up to top 10.

I'd like to see myself somewhere near top 5 around smym, but i still realize you guys play each other more often than i get the chance so it might be tough.

Dart!

Smash Master
I'd say im still trying to advance up to top 10.

I'd like to see myself somewhere near top 5 around smym, but i still realize you guys play each other more often than i get the chance so it might be tough.
JBM move to IL, you can play with us all day :awesome:

D

Deleted member

great thread jason

didn't know you had that much desire to get good haha. just like me

lets play whenever you visit socal

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
hilarious thread...you have the best players within like 3 hours of each other on either coast. the distance between people here can reach half day status. if it ain't a national peeps ain't going for that plain and simple. And I don't blame em. N1ggas got jobs, school, priorities to deal with. and I know people gonna come through with no johns but w/e its more important thangs than smash. At this point the only way I'm travel 4+ hours is for a guaranteed 60+ turnout. what sense does it make to go that far and be in some hole in the wall tourney. none to me. I love this game but at this point its not that huge of a deal for me like it used to be in HS and I figure its like that for a bunch of cats. Its not as simple as just dropping 100$ traveling around the MW to play people every weekend.

The crazy thing is tho we not that far behind. yes we don't have a m2k/mango but the skill level hear is high as ****. I mean you got ****ing Cosmo ****** people with zelda people. Where else does that happen? People are always like "well ec/wc comes here and destroys us" well gosh, ya'll act like m2k and the like don't **** everyone. Its always the top top top that beat us when they come here. which is completely understandable imo. maybe one day one of us will get on taht level who knows.

Everyone wants to get better, but coming here patronizing people when you have no idea how the scene functions is lame as hell. I don't know how long you've been here but people in this thread have been MW for **** near half a decade or more. I think we can figure out why we don't have a m2k.

oh and my falco is still beautiful.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
What you said makes sense zeus but if you want to be good there are no johns.

Its not too realistic for us to be amazing but we are all capable. Darkrain and dr. pp both have shown that.

Im still trying.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
yeah I fill you, it gets to a point where you either play mostly for fun adn go on about your life since **** is more important now. or you make smash a priority in your life and devote yourself to it. Right now I'm too focused on making money now and in the future to be obsessed with melee like I was in HS. People grow and change maynes. still most come around for nationals and I will be no different...

Dart!

Smash Master
hilarious thread...you have the best players within like 3 hours of each other on either coast. the distance between people here can reach half day status. if it ain't a national peeps ain't going for that plain and simple. And I don't blame em. N1ggas got jobs, school, priorities to deal with. and I know people gonna come through with no johns but w/e its more important thangs than smash. At this point the only way I'm travel 4+ hours is for a guaranteed 60+ turnout. what sense does it make to go that far and be in some hole in the wall tourney. none to me. I love this game but at this point its not that huge of a deal for me like it used to be in HS and I figure its like that for a bunch of cats. Its not as simple as just dropping 100$ traveling around the MW to play people every weekend.

The crazy thing is tho we not that far behind. yes we don't have a m2k/mango but the skill level hear is high as ****. I mean you got ****ing Cosmo ****** people with zelda people. Where else does that happen? People are always like "well ec/wc comes here and destroys us" well gosh, ya'll act like m2k and the like don't **** everyone. Its always the top top top that beat us when they come here. which is completely understandable imo. maybe one day one of us will get on taht level who knows.

Everyone wants to get better, but coming here patronizing people when you have no idea how the scene functions is lame as hell. I don't know how long you've been here but people in this thread have been MW for **** near half a decade or more. I think we can figure out why we don't have a m2k.

this is exactly what i've been thinking about myself.

i've noticed that only the Top level players from the coasts come, and then win. I'm pretty sure the undercrust players aren't that far off though they do have better "GOOD" people to train with. Doesn't mean all of EC/WC > All of MW...if only there could be a mass crew battle to prove it. LOLLOOLOLOLOL

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah, "whenever EC or WC comes here they destroy us" is a poor argument. Only the top-level players from EC or WC win here, and when the upper-level players travel here they don't do any better than the rest of the upper-level Midwest does. Vanz, HBK, and G$ all got 9th at SMYM11, Eggm got something like 33rd. Midwest also does just fine in nationals... example, Velynn and Shaeden have defeated players such as Wife, Husband, Darc, Reno, Pakman, etc. in pools at Pound 3 and Pound 4.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
^ This.

Most of the time the only players i've lost to at a regional are those from different areas, not the midwest. Nes Noob, IHSB, Zhu, G$

Btw wife and husband are way out of their prime aka retired. saw them at poe and husband was usually getting wrecked.. it was sad to see.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
WALL O' QUOTES

why does that make it all worth it?

has this thread actually helped anyone improve?
LOL. I'm not good at choosing which posts (if any) you are serious about.

great thread jason

didn't know you had that much desire to get good haha. just like me

lets play whenever you visit socal
Christmas break is around the corner! :bee:

LMAO. He said I was "patronizing" people. I don't even know how somebody can make this kind of response to my first post. That's incredible.

Everything you've said here supports the first post. And if you're moving on from smash then I don't even understand how this thread even began to entertain you. You are still a smasher at heart. ;)

this is exactly what i've been thinking about myself.

i've noticed that only the Top level players from the coasts come, and then win. I'm pretty sure the undercrust players aren't that far off though they do have better "GOOD" people to train with. Doesn't mean all of EC/WC > All of MW...if only there could be a mass crew battle to prove it. LOLLOOLOLOLOL
Of course not all of EC/WC > all of MW. Whoever says that is ********. Generally speaking though, the skill gap is large. I can't see how anybody can deny this.

All in all I feel like a lot of people have gotten territorial and defensive about what I've said in this post and to be quite honest, I'd prefer that. After all, that is how old school MW became such a force back in the day.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
old school mw actually pretty much started high and slooowly went down

eddie howells practically invented this whole game, since then everybody caught up to us and passed us up

DippnDots

Feral Youth
patronize: to adopt an air of condescension toward.

As most of you may know, I’ve done a whole lot of talk about the Midwest “getting better”. That seems to be a tough concept for me to talk about, as well as many other players to grasp.

Many of the following topics I believe you will understand better if you understand where I’m come from and my story when it comes to the game.

You Guys Are Behind
I feel that every smasher should have a goal in mind; otherwise you are playing without purpose. I came from one of, if not THE strongest smash region in the world,

You guys make fun of your region a lot, but unless you’ve traveled outside of your region to EC or WC then you truly don’t understand. You guys are BEHIND.

This REALLY shocked me. This was a big reality check for me. From this point I took a step back and realized “Not only are they extremely behind, but they think they are better than they are!” Now this sounds very judgmental, but I am convinced that this is a safe assumption to make.

I’d like to say that I’ve performed decently out here. It’s safe to say, that I’m one of the best Falco mains in the MW, and that’s really sad, because I could not hold a candle in a national tournament.

The MW is bad, but this is not the problem.
Problem #1: Kels is the best active player in the MW and therefore he indirectly sets “the standard”. No offense to Kels, but beating him should NOT be the standard; yet it is. This is probably what saddens me the most about the MW. You guys have set a standard so low that you will never be able to compete on a national level. I know this sounds harsh, but that’s the way it is. This leads me to the next point.

LMAO. He said I was "patronizing" people. I don't even know how somebody can make this kind of response to my first post. That's incredible.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
old school mw actually pretty much started high and slooowly went down

eddie howells practically invented this whole game, since then everybody caught up to us and passed us up
and thats not embellishing really. eddie did invent practically everything.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
@DippnDots

Stating the obvious = Being condescending?

cool. :D

Oh wait, and forget everything I said about setting goals and playing to improve. It's not like any of that stuff is important anyways. haha

man you just come off as a huge lame sorry. people who are focused on getting better will, people who got more important **** to do with there time treat the game as such. you coming here and acting holier than thou is annoying as ****. your lil psa was not needed. and with as much head as you talk I expect you to falco ditto any falco that wants to in MW. You are one of the best here right? and yes that first post was patronizing.

honestly you prolly chill as hell in real life, but like so many others you adopt a different persona online.

btw its a tourney in chicago that should get about a 20+ man turnout. you should come since you know thats how you get better right. kels, tink, and a lot of other good players are coming through. you can't miss such a oppurtunity to level up mannnn?:glare:

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Thus far when presented the idea that you're tone is condescending you've just replied with sarcasm and incorrect simplifications of the argument. But thanks for actually addressing me as a person instead of a third person pronoun like you did with Zeus.

I'm not here to say the points you made are wrong, but if you're going to write something like that first post, a giant, structured block of text with the intent of proving a point, using a more formal writing style(one ex. not using the word I so much) and being conscientious of your delivery would stop useless posts like ours right now from even happening. If you want to know when you're being condescending, it's not necessarily what you're saying but how you're saying it.

Top Bottom