• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Social: we livin' in smash 4

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I bthrow such characters as GandW, Falco, MK, etc. to rack damage. At lower percent, you can chain it when they air dodge (especially on Falcos, a MU in which I have been excelling in recently).

At higher damages, on characters like those, I try to dthrow to kill set up, unless im near the edge, at which point I do the appropriate throw to get them off the ledge.

On Olimar, a MU I have recently gotten much better at, I dthrow if im near the middle of the stage (terrible roll, easy to read) and otherwise do the appropriate throw to get him off stage (fthrow or bthrow). Then follow up with reads, bairs, regrab, reset situation, etc.

Uthrow is good at lower percents on some nonchaingrabbables (Falco, Oli) when they dont expect it, and it can cause you to rack up a TON of dmg as a result.

Ice Climbers, when they are together, buffer fthrow to hit both then fthrow chain (ish) the two of them (learned that from watching Coney, the ICs here, fut7ure and Hyl1@n, are experiencing all that I've learn in that MU recently..haha). If they are seperate, though, brthow can be a great help too, as Coney said.

Other non chain grabbables, use your discretion...bthrow usually until it stales, at wich point your going for a kill and can try to dthrow into some follow-up. Unless you are by the ledge, at which point you should use the appropriate throw to put them off stage.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
You got dis TChase. Pwnn MI with that D3!
Oh, and thanks for all the good luck in the HDR thread! I'll let you know when I take first! :p

∫unk

Smash Master
depends on the character. Mk I'd say always b-throw, maybe 1 or 2 times d-throw techchase. Olimar a combination of d-throw techchase and f-throw off the stage to gimp/set up bair edgeguarding(I'd backthrow only if you were facing the other direction towards the edge). I could go on and on about other chars. What chars did you have in mind?
i didn't really have any in mind i just wanted other ddd's opinions. i think there's advantages to doing both, and it depends on the opponent as well.

i basically only bthrow until it's doing 12%, then i mix up my throws

tbh you SHOULD be tech chasing, especially olimar, but i'm a ddd that likes less time on the ground and more in the air--that's what i excel. so instead of reading options off the dthrow, i prefer to get under whoever i'm fighting and pursue them aerially. plus, by the time i dthrow people are expecting a bthrow...and this sudden position they've found themselves in can sometimes lead to favorable outcomes.

uuusually fthrow climbers. i say usually because if they're the least bit split up, bthrowing can really help the situation.
actually i can see both, and like you said your way isn't the "norm" but i think it might be a conditionally better strategy.

Mostly, I Bthrow, but I also do Dthrow > Run Forward > B Reversed Swallow 'cause in most cases, when they see you run forward, they tend to roll the other way.
why not... turn around and grab again?

with down throw on non CGables. What I used to do was down throw, and than treat it like snakes down throw, where I just foxtrot forward, and than try to react to their options, if they roll behind me, foxtrot again and pivot grab, situation reset.

if they roll away, based on character and stage positioning, turn the foxtrot into a full run and grab them again, situation reset.

if they tech, wait after the foxtrot, and than grab, situation reset.

if they get up attack, run up and shield, than grab after, situation reset.
ya ya ya

Lol thank you D3.

And Tmacc: Haha I'll be getting that first also. Time to make that money! We gonna represent today!
gl

I'm going to my first tournament in months, so I need all the luck I can get xD
Wish it to me guys/gals =]
Siegeeeee
gl

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZX7P_kTIY

I talked with june about this match n we both agreed that the things he was doing right were pretty safe

Spaced fairs, occasional dairs, platform camping and AS spam

what atomsk didnt do right was let himself take too much 'free' damage.

However junebug is a lucario that stays very grounded as part of his style, but he really knows what to do to DDD once he gets inside. I dont recommend to other lucarios to try what june does by staying overly grounded... unless they really know how to follow up their combos precisely and with accuracy. Which means getting the read on the DDDs DI pretty quickly. Platform camping = one pretty safe lucario. Just make sure your not sharing your platform with DDD at any time.

im pretty much saying, "play your game perfectly"

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZX7P_kTIY

I talked with june about this match n we both agreed that the things he was doing right were pretty safe

Spaced fairs, occasional dairs, platform camping and AS spam

what atomsk didnt do right was let himself take too much 'free' damage.

However junebug is a lucario that stays very grounded as part of his style, but he really knows what to do to DDD once he gets inside. I dont recommend to other lucarios to try what june does by staying overly grounded... unless they really know how to follow up their combos precisely and with accuracy. Which means getting the read on the DDDs DI pretty quickly. Platform camping = one pretty safe lucario. Just make sure your not sharing your platform with DDD

im pretty much saying, "play your game perfectly"
June also seems to follow up with "surprise nairs" in order to cover more ground but not be afraid since it auto-cancels. In regards to edgeguarding, I have the idea how it is supposed to work, but this came of cat and mouse seems to be very annoying as a matchup. However dtilt looks like a move that can be useful here but would see little use in most lucario's styles (I'm trying to implement it in mine, working for the snake matchup). Just a grab can lead to ~30% due to you chaingrabbing from side A to B with a followup ftilt.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
with a cg that can be done at any % and can lead into wall infinite, your best opinion is running away and planking/platform camping with AS

dtilt isnt useful for lucario for this mu; AS, platform camping, and fair/spaced aerials are.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Tournament was mad fun. TYRANT SHOWED UP!!!

I had to play him in pools also...-_-

I got 9th today out of 32 so not too bad. I failed as D3 today on so many levels though.

Tyrant won it with Anther taking 2nd. It was fun :)

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Crashic is banned so I definitely thought I would drop by and say hello to you guys

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
why celebrate over someone being banned?

@tech chase, 9th is a fine daw gj, but what probs did you have

ZTD | TECHnology

I really just felt out of sync with him today in singles. I ***** with him in doubles but when it came time to use him in singles I was feeling off for some reason. I lost to a really campy Snake so I had to go Snake. And the rest of my matches in singles didnt call for D3. I played Tyrant so ..yeah D3 wouldve gotten ***** lol. I barely lost to an GaW also as D3 in pools so I had to go Snake so I could win and make it out of pools. I just didn't get to use him like I wanted to in singles.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
you know your not the only one to feel this way. Even really good players...have those days where they dont feel totally insynch with their main and go something else the rest of the tournie. Im not sure what causes this, maybe its just a sudden lack of confidence or something they ate that day. But having confidence is the key to victory even before the match starts, so like wise if the magic isnt there then by all means dont use DDD n use another char you feel better with at the time.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah after losing Game 1 of the pools set that determined whether I'd make into bracket..I had no choice but to fall back on Snake. I really wanted to use D3 more than I did. I played him in friendlies afterwards and I was going great with him. Maybe it was tournament pressure *shrugs* I am much more seasoned with Snake.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Well thats a pretty good self analysis. And your exactly right.

I mean...me? I've only gone DDD in bracket. And you know whats funny? All my seconds just suck in comparison to my DDD. When i whip out my DDD tho, its like n the back of my mind my DDD is telling me, "This guy better quit while hes ahead because I'm on the field
."

ZTD | TECHnology

lol nice. I felt much more confident with him at SSI3 for some reason. I think it was because I needed to prove that I'm a Midwest D3 that people should be looking out for. Confidence is everything and you're right.

What would you suggest I do for future local tournaments to keep my confidence as D3? I do well with him when I'm in sync with him and I need to keep that going. He's by far the best 2ndary Ive ever had. I kind of consider him a 2nd main tbh.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
You need to be able to take those steps, with DDD, with confidence.

Limmie put you in my shoes.

MLG Columbus, June 4th.

My first tournament.

All the first round winners were being called right? The announcer calls RichBrown's name, then my name.

What do you think went through my head?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Actually I didn't think anything at all. Once we sat down n selected our characters, the nervousness left me. It was kinda like staring into a clear sky, n the matches came and went like a small breeze.

I think I could of beat him if had went to a few tourneys prior. That and well if I'd stop holding myself back mentally. I feel ashamed for saying that especially since I had people I knew telling me prior to some of my tougher matches that I could win it.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah my mental blocks have been holding me back. I need to get over nervousness and keep my mind clear during matches I don't know how to do that though lol I'm a naturally nervous person.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
My mental blocks are voluntary, as in I'm purposely letting myself play less than 100%

Nervousness can be beat once you learn to trust your character, whole heartily. Im naturally nervous too, so when i overly obsess with DDD
especially on the boards tehe
its because he brings me peace of mind with his quiet confidence and security with his brute strength. Through him I know I have nothing to fear.

ZTD | TECHnology

Mine are not lol

But that is an interesting way of looking at D3. I kind used to view Snake in the same way when I was placing well before..hmm....maybe I look at it like that again. I just need to have absolute trust iin my characters.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Good stuff TChase.
I got 17/60ish (not sure of the number) losing to Nicole and Mr. Doom.
I played really well against them both, either way, and they were close. Nicole and I have had to play the last three circuit events (shes up on sets 2-1). It sucks becuase we are friends and from the same area. Plus, it's kind of a toss up between who wins, we both know how to play the other relatively well.
I got second in my pool too, the only person I lost to was Fino 0-2 (once again, close and I played well). The other people in my pool were Breezy, Kain, Ngamer, and two randoms who I can't remember the name of.
It was a really fun tourny though. Still kind of upset that Nicole and I play at EVERY tournament we go to together recently (either in pools or bracket)...lol, oh well.
Atomsk won the tournament, and MJG got second with Hylian in third and Lain in fourth. It was a fun tournament.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
lol tmacc ive had ppl want me to play nicole ;.; gj regardless. Oh what are some of the prob you ran into with mr doom n nicole?

Mine are not lol

But that is an interesting way of looking at D3. I kind used to view Snake in the same way when I was placing well before..hmm....maybe I look at it like that again. I just need to have absolute trust iin my characters.
mmmm..for some people its different.

They see their characters a tools and dont develop any emotional attachment what so ever and play the game very well at high level play.

However since im an artist, ive always had that kid mind set where everything is real. N after i had a very fateful encounter with DDD, my lifes never really been the same since he came into it

Coney

Smash Master
nicole's real good, no shame in that...she knows how to fight ddd well. she thinks it's in peach's favor which is laughable but hey, she's a woman right? ;D

losing to ike though, what happened there? matchup inexperience is understandable, ike hits real hard and can be annoying for ddd...it's really in our favor though.

unless he went mk in which case, my condolences :<

i heard you beat kain though, good stuff!

ZTD | TECHnology

Nice job beating Kain dude! And MLG got second?? That's crazy but he's mad good. Hylian beat Lain ..interesting. Sounds like a fun tournament though and good stuff you also dude. Wish I couldve went lol

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Thanks! I played well against Kain. It took me a bit to figure wolf out though. I don't get to play against them much. First stock of game one, he comboed me for like, 90 damage haha. Then I settled down a bit and played a little smarter.
As far as Nicole, I'm never upset about losing to her. She's really good, and like I said, we've been going about even recently. I just hate that we have to play often in tourny when we play like every Tuesday. Haha, and it sucks to knock someone from your area out early that often at a reasonably big tourny. But yea, I never feel bad after losing to her. And trust me, I tell her everyday i see her that D3 has the advantage in the peach MU :p she's stubborn though.
As far as mr.doom, part of it is he's really **** good. Haha, both games were last hit. Alot of the problem was that I didn't know how to deal with ikes jab. He was so quick at reversing it, and I got caught in it alot. Plus, I feel into a lot of the typical traps in the beginning (bthrow-dashattack, his uair when I landed on a platform, other things). I also wasn't quite sure how to edgeguard Ike...I had a few good ones, but I really wasn't sure what to do. I think next time I play him though, I'll be much more ready. I had never played a *good* Ike like San or mr. Doom before, only people who play him for fun or play him a but and are decent. Now I understand it a bit better. Either way, depite that, they were really close, and I think he and I could both agree it was a really good set.
Also, where do I take Ike? He banned fd. I know mr. Doom loves delfino, so I wasnt going there (probably still should have), I don't like siege much. So I just went smashville...

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Mine are not lol

lol don't get nervous <_<" Everyone is as good as you for the most part, though you probably don't realize it. Though you could do what I used to do. Only check the dedede boards and have no idea who is considered good and what not elsewhere and just in your own region since thats pretty hard to avoid. Like I've been playing competitively since 08 but when I went to MLG I had no idea who Malcolm or fatal were. Didn't really get bogged down since I didn't know who they were to begin with. No1 saw that **** coming lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. somebody within the last couple of posts just called MJG, 'MLG'. I lold

2. Dark3 > Nicole.

3. Back throw dash attack isnt a trap, thats an actual combo at most %s

4. Never take a good Ike to delfino.

5. yoshis, frigate, and lylat can be solid ike CPs

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Thanks! I played well against Kain. It took me a bit to figure wolf out though. I don't get to play against them much. First stock of game one, he comboed me for like, 90 damage haha. Then I settled down a bit and played a little smarter.
As far as Nicole, I'm never upset about losing to her. She's really good, and like I said, we've been going about even recently. I just hate that we have to play often in tourny when we play like every Tuesday. Haha, and it sucks to knock someone from your area out early that often at a reasonably big tourny. But yea, I never feel bad after losing to her. And trust me, I tell her everyday i see her that D3 has the advantage in the peach MU :p she's stubborn though.
As far as mr.doom, part of it is he's really **** good. Haha, both games were last hit. Alot of the problem was that I didn't know how to deal with ikes jab. He was so quick at reversing it, and I got caught in it alot. Plus, I feel into a lot of the typical traps in the beginning (bthrow-dashattack, his uair when I landed on a platform, other things). I also wasn't quite sure how to edgeguard Ike...I had a few good ones, but I really wasn't sure what to do. I think next time I play him though, I'll be much more ready. I had never played a *good* Ike like San or mr. Doom before, only people who play him for fun or play him a but and are decent. Now I understand it a bit better. Either way, depite that, they were really close, and I think he and I could both agree it was a really good set.
Also, where do I take Ike? He banned fd. I know mr. Doom loves delfino, so I wasnt going there (probably still should have), I don't like siege much. So I just went smashville...
CO said he had an easier time dealing with Ikes aerials if you spot dodge them. Why not try that? or pshielding.

Jabbing yeaaa you just gotta watch out for his jabs and try to punish. I think you can grab him out of jabbing but you have to time it.

Welp, Rainbow is your best bet cp wise. I took san there in our wifi match. Ikes best neutral is BF. So SV, Lylat or Yoshi depending on how you strike your neutrals. Pokemon Stadium i think Ikes like that stage, they can fthrow infinite on walls so be mindful of that. Obvi they're gonna strike FD but if you can go there do it.

CP; Rainbow would be your best choice, then either Japes, Castle Siege would be good for walk offs/final d third transformation, Frigate would be good too. Halbard is eh, Ike can kill well in any direction. Brinstar/Norfair is a big no. Pictochat, not sure depends on the Ike.

what were your matches with nicole like?

And yea with Kain wolf gets ***** by very good pshielding...literally. Pshield everything he does and the match becomes sooooooooo much easier for us. Especially after we get a grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_BES0Y-TYQ

Watch dis vid. Another good wolf. Pay close attention to why this DDD lost tho. And yes that infinite is legal...

@kid, but she knows the mu! Its a good thing im scouting her thru tmacc

Top Bottom