• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Wario thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masky

Smash Master
One thing I can say for sure: DI with Fair, when sent flying in any direction. Try to avoid DIing with Uair and Dair. Fair is much better =]
incorrect, dair and fair are equally as good

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I wonder why we can never agree on anything *sigh* I'm not even going to input what I feel is the best method to DI do w/e.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Lol Gichan I had this huge critique written yesterday. It was awesome. Then I clicked submit......no internet connection xD whoops! I'll see if I can remember the main points..

1. Since you know the dangers of Usmash oos, you are wise not to rush in. You used safe moves and rarely got punished, except for the occasional Uair on his shield. A good spacing game, you have.

2. Follow up your attacks at low percents. If you land a Dair, you are 100% able to follow it up with either a Fair, Bair, Nair or even Uair depending on their DI. Don't be afraid to explore, Wario has tons of small combos that help rack up damage quickly.

at 5:02 in the first video for example, I think you might have been able to connect an Uair from the Dair hit. Your very first Dair in the video could have connected with a Bair or Nair, but probably a Fair was the best option there. Just keep in mind the more time you have, the more damaging move you can use.

The Dair at about 1:59 could have linked into a Nair, possibly hitting with both hits and leading into a grab. That's like a good 25% damage there! Which brings me to my next bit of advice....

3. Use Nair more effectively against Olimar. This is seriously my favorite move against Oli, as well as most of the cast. However, it is a bit more effective on Olimar than many others. Along with Jab, it sends him at this weird angle so he is very easy to combo. You can combo Nair or the first hit of Jab into Grab or Fsmash very easily! Take advantage of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vK4fbQvOU

Check that one out. It's a match of me against Asa, one of Canada's better Olimars. You can see how I link moves at lower percents, no? I also play really spacey and campy at times, which is what you have to do. If you just rush in, you will get Usmashed or pivot grabbed.

Gichan

Smash Champion
thanks a lot pwn. It's funny how you can't see something till someone points it out. I cannot believe I've been letting those opportunities go away so easily.

In your match I also noticed you used a lot of bairs and that's a move i pretty much never take out and that's also a bad thing. I gotta work on that.

So somethings I can see I have to improve on.

1. Better use of the bike, kept taking it out and it falls off the stage. Gonna incorporate kryst's bike to end of stage and wipe out or buffer jump

2. combo dairs, ALWAYS

3. In oli MU, use nair much more effectively like when they are trying to land or platform pressure (plat pressure for other chars to)

Any thing else other warios see I'd appreciate it.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
you staled your uair to HELL whenever pikmin got on you... personally, I only uair if it's a white one, and I need it off asap. if its any other colour, I ignore it at high % and I dair or nair it away at low %.

At high % the pikmin only stay on for 2 or 3 hits, totaling at 3-6% for everything thats no white. at low % they stay on for 5-6 hits. dair and nair arent guaranteed to knock pikmin off, but they dont need to be kept fresh anyway, might as well use it.

Gichan

Smash Champion
i saw, i think, blue rogue use uair to take off pikmin. You just said at low percents that **** stays on me for 5-6 hits, that's a lot man. Especially if two are on you. And if dair or nair don't guarantee them off that's ****ed. If the combination of them took them off I'd gladly replace uair with them.

Personally I fought an olimar of less calibre and barely won cause of pikmin owning my percentage and this fight I felt it helped.

So what do you suggest, at low percent use uair and at high percent use dair/nair?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I usually save Uairs for getting white pikmin off of me, but imo it's personal preference. Uair is basically guaranteed to get the little guys off you. Any other aerial has a chance not to get them off, depending on which part of your body they latch on to.

If you have questions to which move is suited for which scenario, please take a gander at the hitboxes of Wario. Smash pikmin accordingly.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255241

Have a nice day.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Those are a LOT of matches Croi... And there isn't usually much to critique in doubles... But I'll try to help if I can anyway.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno

SAX

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlE1JLcuyTE moe of meh friends wario. DIdnt ask me to post link just thought i would. Ending was stupid and hilarious though. Hes gettin better imo.Its Bebop.
Thanks Kuro! I didn't even know this was up yet. Such a bs ending haha.
I've been practicing that item control though!
I have some videos of me getting recked by my friend gallax. Mainly metaknight matches. He's much better than me so when those come up I'll post them here for advice.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1JnbKteap8&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRNj286d6wE&feature=recentu

I just recently (within the last month or so) picked up Wario. These matches are seriouslies. Dunno what else to say....I just really would like to know in what situations certain moves would be more applicable. I know I spam F-smash too much :/ As well as DACUS/boost smash. What do I need to use more? Less? Are my approaches weak?

Edit: I'm asking for general strategy advice, not necessarily matchup advice.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
you tend to always land next to your opponent when you do an airial.

Mix up your landings: land behind, land away, jump after a fair or dair.

TRY not to bike approach.
i dont understand why you were using upsmash when the pikachu was landing. up air him.
dont get fsmash happy
You seem to have a rolling problem. Wario's roll is one of the WORST in the game. try not to use it
^ that doesnt mean get spotdodge happy.

Near the end of your pikachu match you started Fsmashing ALOT and you kept charging it expecting him to run into it... NO! that normally doesnt work.

try to use your farts more. I guess you were trying to since you didnt really keep a full fart the whole time meaning you probably lost it along the way a couple times, but try to bait into your bike and fart to get an increased hitbox. Or even try doing sour spotted fair>fart.

I want to see more air time and less ground time.

I want to see more spacing against pikachu

I want to see less Fsmash

I want to see less rolling.

I want to see more fair pokes.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Thank you very much for the help, Dynomite! Like I said, I do need to stop FSmashing so much lol. I'll lay of the bike approach and work on my landings as well.

I just have this feeling that there were a lot of opportunities when I would land certain moves and a bite would have been more appropriate than whatever I followed up with--does that sound legit?

Again, thank you a ton!

SAX

Smash Ace
Thank you very much for the help, Dynomite! Like I said, I do need to stop FSmashing so much lol. I'll lay of the bike approach and work on my landings as well.

I just have this feeling that there were a lot of opportunities when I would land certain moves and a bite would have been more appropriate than whatever I followed up with--does that sound legit?

Again, thank you a ton!
learn your opponents shielding habits. Then bite them. One of my favorite things to do is if my opponent is above on a ledge, 90% of the time they are going to shield expecting an uair, so I always go for the bite.
Also falling bite is good if your opponent is expecting another dair as an approach. Unles it's mk lol.
Just mix it up

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
learn your opponents shielding habits. Then bite them. One of my favorite things to do is if my opponent is above on a ledge, 90% they are going to shield expecting an uair, so I always go for the bite.
Also falling bite is good if your opponent is expecting another dair as an approach. Unles it's mk lol.
Just mix it up
Yeah, I'm almost always able to jump over and b-reverse bite my friend who always shields expecting an aerial :p But that's a good idea with the platforms :] Thank you very much.

SAX

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm almost always able to jump over and b-reverse bite my friend who always shields expecting an aerial :p But that's a good idea with the platforms :] Thank you very much.
No problem, it's what we are here for haha

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno

Again, thank you a ton!
Well, pikachu is hard to bite so dont rely on bite to save you. But as you said, biting is sometimes better then actually doing a move. You know just around where the person is gonna land from bite regardless of %. Bite also helps control your opponent and pressures them. Im not an expert on the Pikachu matchup, but I personally do try to stay away from using bite, unless they are shielding.

On the shielding note: I saw that you tend to Fast fall Fair their shield. I am guilty of doing this too, but i do NOT do it when i see they are shielding. If they are shielding i would bite.

learn your opponents shielding habits. Then bite them. One of my favorite things to do is if my opponent is above on a ledge, 90% of the time they are going to shield expecting an uair, so I always go for the bite.
Just mix it up
Not trying to be a **** but your wrong. I dont want new warios to get the idea that jumping off the ledge and biting is a good idea. Most good people space it so that they arent RIGHT next to the ledge. They space normally where the blue ring is on bf (around that much space from the ledge)

SAX

Smash Ace
Well, pikachu is hard to bite so dont rely on bite to save you. But as you said, biting is sometimes better then actually doing a move. You know just around where the person is gonna land from bite regardless of %. Bite also helps control your opponent and pressures them. Im not an expert on the Pikachu matchup, but I personally do try to stay away from using bite, unless they are shielding.

On the shielding note: I saw that you tend to Fast fall Fair their shield. I am guilty of doing this too, but i do NOT do it when i see they are shielding. If they are shielding i would bite.

Not trying to be a **** but your wrong. I dont want new warios to get the idea that jumping off the ledge and biting is a good idea. Most good people space it so that they arent RIGHT next to the ledge. They space normally where the blue ring is on bf (around that much space from the ledge)
Did I say ledge? Ahh my bad. I meant like a platform. Like if your opponent is on a platform above you, like on battlefield or the moving one on smashville. Sorry for my word mix up haha.
Yeah, never use bite near the ledge, unless your on it, then you could jump and bite, and then it'll send them under the stage.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
^^ *** Never use it unless THEY are CLOSE to the ledge so you can bite them to wariocide. *****

Careful with the wording.

SAX

Smash Ace
^^ *** Never use it unless THEY are CLOSE to the ledge so you can bite them to wariocide. *****

Careful with the wording.
Yeah, I kinda implied that... I guess I should be extremely specific when trying to help someone. No sarcasm intended. I'm new to helping other warios out. So always be as specific ad possible?

And just so we are on the same page, you agree that jump > bite is good when the opponent is above you on a platform?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Yeah, I kinda implied that... I guess I should be extremely specific when trying to help someone. No sarcasm intended. I'm new to helping other warios out. So always be as specific ad possible?

And just so we are on the same page, you agree that jump > bite is good when the opponent is above you on a platform?
Yes be as specific as possible. Online it is hard to tell what people are trying to say and the meaning behind it.

As for bite when they are above you: I think its an option that should be taken into consideration, but is not always the best thing to do. When they are shielding above you its great. Your on the right track sir. :awesome:

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate both of you guy's help. Yes, I knew what you meant by ledge (platform), Bebop!. And Dyno, what you're saying is bite instead of fast-falled fair on a shield?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
TBH Wariocide is a crap option in 90% of the situations because your opponent chooses when you spit him out. If you have a lead they'll just cause both of you to die, if they have a lead I suppose it may or may not net your an advantageous situation, but rarely if ever a true kamikaze.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I appreciate both of you guy's help. Yes, I knew what you meant by ledge (platform), Bebop!. And Dyno, what you're saying is bite instead of fast-falled fair on a shield?
yes, if you fastfall fair their shield; what are your options? NOTHING! you have a 0% chance of hitting them if they are shielding and they can do ALOT out of shield. most likely you will get grabbed. So if you know they are gonna shield or if they ARE shielding, just go for the bite. Its an airial grab which isnt really expected because people are not use to getting grabbed when someone is in the air and they are shielding. Breaks the physics of smash itself :p
TBH Wariocide is a crap option in 90% of the situations because your opponent chooses when you spit him out. If you have a lead they'll just cause both of you to die, if they have a lead I suppose it may or may not net your an advantageous situation, but rarely if ever a true kamikaze.
Yes^^ this. Chair is correct. It is risky, but SOMETIMES it is helpful.

Ze3rox

Smash Rookie

B.Mack

Smash Ace
dammit zerox are you just posting here to show off? >:(
I'd say you're a pretty damn good player, you have really good basics. but if you wanna main wario now, I'd say you focus on character knowledge. Focus on landing your farts for kills, not just for damage. you landed many farts when our opponent was at like 20% or less and I just facepalmed.

I ****ed when I noticed stuff like you SDI'ing the second hit of ZSS's jab so you could powershield and shieldgrab the 3rd hit... ur pretty good with juggles and stuff.

1: learn how to use farts for kills
2: learn how to use tires to form awesome combos.
3: switch to Candy Wario jumpsuit
4: PROFIT

Ze3rox

Smash Rookie
No xD! i'm always reading the forum, searching for new stuff, videos, matchups, etc but i don't post too much because my english sucks a little :( (these 5 posts are from the R.O.B. forum i think).

Ohh ok, i know waft is like wario's principal KO move, but i tend to use it more for damaging than for killing xD need to change that.

Thanks you a ton Baron Mack! <3

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Your wario reminds me of mine a little.

The move choices are not like mine at all, not like any warios ive watched to be honest. You do a lot of upairing where as other warios focus on Dair and fair.

The thing that reminds me of me was that your very intuitive. Your choices off attacking are based on judgment and how you feel. It seems to work well for you, but keep inmind that this is not always good.

Focus on landing your farts, dont waste them.

I noticed you tend to spotdodge randomly when zerosuit cant hit you with any attack in that particular position.

Some warios tend to spotdodge when they feel like they lost control of the character and that is their panic button to get back in the zone and reset themselves. This might be the same case for you too, but try not to do that.

Overall i really liked the first match and you have potential as a wario player. Keep it up and I hope to see more of you around here in the future.

Dont be shy we dont bite....

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I ****ed when I noticed stuff like you SDI'ing the second hit of ZSS's jab so you could powershield and shieldgrab the 3rd hit... ur pretty good with juggles and stuff.
That requires little to no effort. You don't even have to SDI, you just press shield lol.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
That requires little to no effort. You don't even have to SDI, you just press shield lol.
seriously? just press shield? awesome! ok I'm gonna start using that now. I thought you had to SDI downwards and powershield it bcos thats what GP told me. and GP is right 90% of the time.

Ze3rox

Smash Rookie
@Dinomyte
Yeah, i have the bad habit of spotdodging when i don't have to, and like you said, that's pretty bad. Sometimes i was spotdodging the ZSS's down smash instead of shielding it, and then was hit by a second down smash :mad:
So thanks for pointing that! and thanks in general.

Pd: shyness is going :cool:

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
@Dinomyte
Yeah, i have the bad habit of spotdodging when i don't have to, and like you said, that's pretty bad. Sometimes i was spotdodging the ZSS's down smash instead of shielding it, and then was hit by a second down smash :mad:
So thanks for pointing that! and thanks in general.

Pd: shyness is going :cool:
Quite honestly, im a very shy person. :urg:

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom