• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Wario thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Okay Mr. Wrath, I watched all your videos and definitely have some advice to give you! First of all, great job recording those matches without a capture card. No wiggling of the camera, no giant bars going up and down the tv, great job haha. Now on to the advice.

- Farts: I noticed that your farts were extremely predictable, and your opponent could see them coming from 10 miles away. You landed a couple of good ones on Pit, because he's pretty much helpless when he's in his UpB move. It's definitely good to know when it's safe to use farts like that, but the real money farts come from reads and traps. Basically that means the best way to use the fart is reactively, if the opponent whiffs a move or you read their airdodge/roll. This brings me to my next piece of advice!

- Think a step ahead: I noticed that whenever you go on the aggress, you're attacking where your opponent is at that moment. With Brawl's decreased hitstun and multiple airdodges, it is relatively easy for the opponent to see that you're attacking, then simply dodge. Try not to attack where your opponent IS, but where your opponent WILL BE. Basically it boils down to reading your opponent, which is a lot less difficult than people think.

If you see Snake falling towards the stage, you jump towards him. Now is where the reading comes into play: will he try to airdodge past you? Low level Snake players will probably do this a lot, and that's where your opportunity is to fart on them or clap them. To read your opponent, you have to think about what their habits are, what they've done in the past, and if they mix it up a lot or not.

The next step is to read their attacks against you. If you jump towards Snake, will he try to Utilt you? What you can do is fade away to bait the Utilt, then punish him if he whiffs it. Those are some examples of basic reads against Snake, more advanced reads are harder to explain, and more fun if you explore for yourself! :D

- Overall speed: To be an awesome Wario player, you have to be fast and streamlined. Wario doesn't have a lot of range or priority, so you have to weave in and out of your opponents attacks, finding openings and taking advantage of them, while not leaving yourself open for counterattack. Sound complicated? It is without a doubt, but with practice and the right mentality, anyone can do it!

I noticed that you had points in the matches where you hesitated for a split second in the middle of your attack patterns. With Brawl's reduced hitstun, every frame counts (there are 60 frames in 1 second). A good thing for you to practice is buffering. What is buffering, you ask? Well basically there is a 10 frame window at the end of every move (1/6 of a second) where you can input your next action, and your character will perform said action ASAP. It may seem daunting on paper, but it's quite simple in execution! All you have to do is input your move in the split second before your current move ends, and it will speed you up a ton!

I practiced my buffering simply with a shorthop Nair. When you shorthop, Nair and then fastfall it. When you hit the ground, Wario turns into a pancake (I call this the pancake dodge) for 4 frames I think. While he's flat on the ground, you can input another shorthop, and even a Nair! This means that you will jump and Nair as fast as the game will allow.

Try fighting a lvl 3 Snake in a 99 minute/99 stock match. Just beat him up like a punching bag, explore your moveset and work on speeding your game up. It's loads of fun, and it helps familiarize you with Wario!

Wrath the Furious

Smash Rookie
Thanks for taking the time to watch the videos and giving me advice. You've given me lots to work on and stuff to think about. So I should probably get off of here and get to it! Thanks again!

SAX

Smash Ace

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say never use smash attacks, but yeah you better know it's gonna hit before you use one haha. I've played a few good Foxes (Trevonte, Nerd), and I've found that Nair is a really good go-to move in the matchup. Fox is really quick and agile on his feet, so you must match his speed and have really good SDI. If he hits you with a Dair in the air, try and SDI out of the top, you can Nair him from there.

Tires are also good, because you can trap and approach with them. Dthrow them near him, if he uses his reflector it will miss and give you an attack opportunity. If not, you can aerial or bite, easy escape with the tire on his back. Also utilizing the bike for edgeguarding is always helpful, spacies' recoveries are pretty linear and the bike can be very helpful for Wario.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
a uair at 4:40 of the second game would have given you a far better chance. you whiffed so many fsmashes as well. in this matchup we dont get whiffed smashes for free. and at over 100% theres an extremely fast move that Fox has which will take your stock.

I thought you were campy Masky... :(

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Need help with this match up. I'm a mess in this video. Where should I strike too? What makes this match-up so tough other than the grabs? What am I doing wrong? I was terrible and I want to know what I should do to get better or is it better just to go MK for D3? Thanks.

Wario-Dedede
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EyINsl1Vb8&feature=channel_video_title

Plus here are some more Snake videos which I feel could use some criticizing. I felt off all week but as long as it gets me progress.

Wario-Snake
Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ7uiHlAfW0&feature=related
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgLkIa-BK4&feature=related
*Had port priority against Snake in both games.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
@ SSGuy (D3 Match): Okay, now this was an interesting game to watch for sure! You got grabbed a TON in this match, but you made a pretty good comeback in the end to make it a 1-on-1 stock game. I noticed a few things which could improve your game ;)

1. Get grabbed less: Now this is what makes the matchup difficult for Wario. However, hope is not lost because Wario definitely has the tools to avoid the King's clutches (and do great damage to boot)! I would suggest watching my matches against D3 in the video thread, Wario can bob, weave and poke in through D3's defenses using fast, quick low-lag moves. Tires are also AWESOME against D3, Moochero (an Oregon D3 main) admitted that tires make it way harder to wall and grab Wario.

I saw 0 use of tires, so a good way to start out is to go into training mode on Shadow Moses Island and practice there. The Wario AT Thread has tons of helpful info involving tires, and there's even a new section specifically devoted to the rubbery circles of goodness! Try reading that thread, then go to Shadow Moses and throw tires around alllll day ;)

When you were playing against TRA, I noticed a lot of dodges and landings that ended up with you getting grabbed. It is generally a very very bad idea to airdodge into the ground against D3, that's pretty much begging him to grab you haha. I don't know what TRA was aiming at with those grab releases, but Fthrow at 200% will do the trick haha xD One thing I've found is that grabbing D3 first works really well, as many D3 players notice dodge habits and attempt to read them. Just don't get predictable!

Imagine there is a bubble around King D3. When you enter this bubble, you are at risk of getting grabbed, Baired, Utilted etc. Only enter this bubble if you have a clear plan of attack and escape, try not to commit so much with your approaches (i.e. Wario Bair into the ground). Try safe pokes like fullhop Dairs, fullhop Fairs and bite. Oh that reminds me! Bite is really great against D3 if he likes to stay in his shield a lot. Be careful though, because if he reads a bite coming he can roll behind you and score a free grab.

It's not the end of the world if you get grabbed. Sure it hurts, but just make sure that you don't get grabbed too much. Make sure that you're doing as much damage to him as he does to you, however fast or slow that may be (I'm fast and aggro, Masky is slower and campier but in the end our goal is the same! Warios UNITE!!!!). It all depends on your personal style, aims for the game and all sorts of other stuff. Just do what feels right for you ;)

2. Edgeguaring D3: You did a terriffic job making that comeback on D3's second stock! Kept him off the stage exceptionally well, scoring damage and keeping him from gaining much momentum. However, there is always room for improvement! :)

I noticed that you rarely grabbed the ledge against D3, allowing him to grab the ledge, which in turn refreshes his jumps, which in turn multiplies his options by 27 squared. My advice is to grab the ledge while he is recovering! From there Wario can ledgehop Bair (Bair has more knockback than Fair, so therefore is more useful when edgeguarding), ledgehop Nair for a quick hit or just hang on there and wait for him to UpB. His aerials are fairly telegraphed, so if he tries hitting you off the ledge you can dodge it. Be careful of D3's Bair, it's his fastest one and can stagespike you with it. However, he needs to turn around to hit you with it, so you can still see it coming.

Tires and ESPECIALLY the bike completely own D3 when he's trying to recover. Edge Crash the bike and throw it upwards when you knock him off the stage, then grab the ledge. A giant metal hunk of death is bouncing where he needs to go, and you're grabbing the ledge (his other option). He will have no choice but to UpB into the bike, taking loads of damage in the process! The bike is truly awesome ;D

Phew ;) hope some of that was helpful!

Gichan

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fLmkk3kUw&p=B0973135B370DAB8

Just gotta explain the ending, when I win and storm off it's to tell ally to eat it for saying I'm free and had no chance beating cura.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjrKQNPLmU&p=B0973135B370DAB8

I played this olimar once again and he just keeps getting better. Ally tells me to bair and I just keep forgetting to implement that. I also lost to his diddy....that's his month old secondary. any help would be great. *there will be a better quality , screen capture, version of this if you don't want to critque this one yet*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgZoQzGyP0&p=B0973135B370DAB8

This guy's DDD ALWAYS ***** me. Seriously, what do I do in that MU?! I'm lost, so please I need help in that MU.

I also lost to a MK. He's now ranked higher than me on PR. I don't want to lose to random MKs anymore so when I get that vid I'll post it up.

I do feel myself improving, and that's a good thing.
I guess if I post here I'll get some answers.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Gichan you were amazing in those games!
I love the way you stormed off after thrashing defeating Cura. so epic!

bair is definitely one of our better options against Olimar, work on implementing it. also work on not getting hit by pikmin. simply shielding stops them from latching on and they do a surprising amount of damage surprisingly fast so you gotta be careful of them. dont hesiitate to use a uair to knock off a white pikmin. taking 36% in 3 seconds is never good, lol.

for DDD, you did what I believe Wario mains should do. people pick D3 to cp Wario. then just pick Olimar. it's really that simple. and you can blind pick them if they won the last match.
if you cant blind pick, then this is how I believe the matchup shoud be played:

identify what moves you can get away with without getting grabbed. doesnt matter if you get hit. getting grabbed is the real danger here. D3 is a fatso who's fairly easy to combo. get aggressive on him. if you camp, they get the chance to time their grabs and calculate. if you go aggressive, get the momentum of the match and KEEP IT. I honestly believe that aggressive gameplay is our best option against D3. aggressive with tires is even better as it reduces our chances of getting grabbed.

if you get grabbed at low % you need to mash like crazy and pray he drops the CG. dont do SHFFuairs if you arent 100% sure of hitting him because you WILL get grabbed. dont do dair bombs bcos you'll get grabbed. if first hit nair hits his shield, get the hell away.

you should only ever hit the back of D3's shield.

dont use fsmash unless D3 is at the edge of the stage and you can knock him off if it hits his shield.

if you camp against D3 then he just gets the chance to grab you whenever you slip up or whenever you attack.

be wary of D3's grab. be aggressive. we can dominate him, just dont be stupid.

for example, against D3 you should use fair, spaced bairs, rising dairs, uairs from below, down smash, bite jumps and biting a recovering D3 are both very very good. throwing the bike when D3 is recovering is SOOOOO good. if you learn how to insta-crash(without needing the ledge) then you can do some serious damage to a recovering D3. Pwneroni has mentioned it so many times. Wario can cut down D3's recovery options SO well... we should capitalise on it more.

tl:dr, aggressive pokey Wario beats D3 imo.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Croi

Smash Lord
****** mains Samus, doesn't he? Tell him fsmash.org says hi.

The ROB MU is the only one I have any decent experience in, so:

Wario can beat ROB in the air, but it'll take a lot of baiting and waiting, and ROB has ******** priority with his nair and his bair lasts forever. Against an aerial character like Wario, ROB won't be so keen to roll and will prefer to spotdodge, so try to avoid hard-read reverse bites like you did at :29.

4-frame dsmash on both sides *is* dumb, I agree. If you ever find yourself standing right next to ROB, after a whiffed dair or something, do not spotdodge or try to roll or even anything: ROB will want to dsmash, so your best bet is to shield until its over (you're going to have to count the frames), and then OOS nair or run the **** away. Examples are :50, :54, 1:19, and, even though it missed, 1:15, just to name a few.

ROB's best attack is his nair: it has a massive hitbox reaching all around him, hits wicked hard, and has priority like I said. However it can also be read pretty well: ROB mains tend to show the same signs that they're going to use it before they even press the button (kinda-close-but-kinda-far, in the air, approaching slowly if at all, etc), so you should be able to see him project. You will have to fight the nair: the best options are to either approach from in front or below, but not behind or above, because ROB's bair and uair are better options for him in that case. Once the nair goes off, it starts right in front of him and goes clockwise, leaving him open to a uair or fair if you're quick. Otherwise just try to avoid it entirely.

This might just be my experience with my local ROB, as well as watching ****** play, talking, but ROBs are great with items and will not hesitate to abuse their glide-toss. Once it picks up its own gyro or your tire, expect a glide-toss-to-dsmash/fsmash to the face. Their gyro and your bike will also delay their nair, which they love, so be careful of that.

Aside from the MU...

You used Wario's dair almost religiously and you made it really obvious when you were coming in for an attack. You followed a successful dair with a fair usually, which, while isn't a bad idea necessarily, is also really repetitive and projective. That whole second stock, when you weren't recovering, you were either trying to use dair or standing right next to ROB without a shield. And right after, you dsmashed, which I assume was supposed to be a dair.

Dair is good, don't get me wrong, but there are better attacks depending on the situation. Uair can juggle and fair and nair can poke. You occasionally used bair, which is strong, but not dependable. Mix it up; wherever his dair will fail, his nair can succeed. And uair is just plain awesome.

also dun get grabed D:

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
im not gonna do a writeup of 3 matches sorry :(

0:16 why did u throw the tire up, you know the platform is going to stop the tire and snakes dont jump..

0:20 i think you coulda got him with a nair instead of going for the clap. nair is fastest

0:28 shoulda jumped back and covered a recovery option onto the middle of the stage (where snake wants to be) forcing him either off stage or his back towards the edge.

0:35 GREAT predict with the bite to punish dacus. I love doing that <3

0:38 why are you running?? cover his recovery onto mid stage option. you have control. USE IT!

1:10 NOOOO!!! dont get bike on stage that way!! use the bike crash on the ledge its quicker and you wont get punished like you did..

1:43 uhgggg obviously you went for the platform drop upair :(

3:22 NOO what're u doing?? bite the upB!!

last stock you got greedy, impatient.

Overall i didnt really need to critique very much because im pretty tired (sorry) and you really seem to know what your doing.

Your spacing is good, you dont throw out random moves hoping to hit, and you have great predictions. Punishes could be a bit better.

hope this helps. if you have any spacific questions, please ask. I feel like i should do more to help, but i just cant think right now. sorry :c

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Thx dyno. I'll watch more vids to learn how to punish better in certain situations. Ill also work on my horendous tire game :(

As this is my first critiques of wario and i won't be asking for more till like a month or 2 would someone else be willing to do G2 and G3 respectively?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Wow Kuro I LOVE your Wario! You are a great player to begin with, as seen by your reads, combos, and overall decision making. Now all that's left to do is learn the ins and outs of this freakin awesome character!

Your matches against that Snake player.... wow talk about ***-kickery. The ending of the first match was BS, you totally should've had that! The first stock of the first match was like.... godlike for lack of a better word. You have that bite -> DACUS down to a SCIENCE!!

There were a few things I notice about your game that I could critique!

1. Move choice: Now obviously as you play Wario more, you will learn when to use and when not to use certain moves. However, I saw like absolutely ZERO Nair in these matches (a common quality I see in many players picking up the fat man). Newer high level Warios quickly learn the awesomeness of Uair, Fsmash, Fart and bite, but Nair strangely gets left behind a lot of the time. Nair is by far my favorite move of Wario's, because it has so many fantastic qualities about it! Quick, long lasting, 2 hitboxes, GREAT for gimping, combos at low-mid percents, very low landing lag, and it grabs tires really easily.

Try exploring more with Nair! I use Nair a ton, you may be able to learn a thing or two by watching some of my videos :)

2. Your Tire Game: Watching these matches made me exceedingly happy :D you have the beginnings of a tire game! I loved how you kept that in mind during the match, and it benefitted you on the whole I think. The next step is furthering and improving that tire game, so it can be a valuable and useful tool in the future!

Pretty much everyone starts with SH Dthrow tire -> Uair, it's the easiest thing to do and pretty much kicks *** when it lands (ty Ally). That is really only the tip of the iceberg though, as tires have tons of potential to do so much more! I'll give you a few bits of advice for your tire game :) Grat job!

1. Uthrowing the tire will give it more bounce, but if you need a quick throw then Dthrow is the way to go. A shorthop dthrow will bounce the tire in place, the big tire will reach through a platform but the small one isn't big enough unfortunately.

2. You can use tires to trap your opponent in their shield (or at least fool them into staying in there). Mix it up with attacks, grabs and bite to give your opponent a headache they won't soon forget!

3. Use the bike and tires to cover options. Since Wario's items bounce, you can use them to cover tech and dodging options. Force an airdodge and punish as you see fit. Cover a ledge option so you can predict a roll, standard getup or ledge attack. Tires make a good walling instrument, explore for yourself or take a gander at the Tire Section in the AT thread to learn more ;)

4. Combo out of the tire hits! This is one of the BEST things about tires: their comboability. Easily seen with tire dthrow -> Uair, there are so many more instances possible it's mind boggling! Keep an eye out for situations where you can score some sick combos into fart or fsmash for the kill! Remember, tires have a set knockback (or at least suuuuper slow increasing), so even at high percents a tire hit can combo into a strong kill move.

5. Learn Tire ATs - A big part of evolving your tire game is learning all the ins and outs of Wario. Learn his glide tosses, instant throws, practice z catching, tire dribbling, juggling, edge crashing, basically everything in his arsenal is fair game for learning. Grow your brain and kick some butt!

SAX

Smash Ace
Thx dyno. I'll watch more vids to learn how to punish better in certain situations. Ill also work on my horendous tire game :(

As this is my first critiques of wario and i won't be asking for more till like a month or 2 would someone else be willing to do G2 and G3 respectively?
yo yo yo, I might be able to come down this saturday. I wanna get some replays saved of my wario and put em up on youtube. I wanna see how my wario has improved etc, and get it critiqued, with better desicion making and stuff. If I win or lose. could you upload them to youtube if when we save them? I'll see if I can bring solo and chris too. If I can come saturday, I'm gonna just save every match I play wario in, but I'll just go all wario sat so Ill be saving each one xD That cool? I'm just gonna use Mk as a secondary now. I'll puil em out every once and a while just so he doesn't get rusty, and for dumb MU's. But other than that, I'm staying wario. That cool? lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
yo yo yo, I might be able to come down this saturday. I wanna get some replays saved of my wario and put em up on youtube. I wanna see how my wario has improved etc, and get it critiqued, with better desicion making and stuff. If I win or lose. could you upload them to youtube if when we save them? I'll see if I can bring solo and chris too. If I can come saturday, I'm gonna just save every match I play wario in, but I'll just go all wario sat so Ill be saving each one xD That cool? I'm just gonna use Mk as a secondary now. I'll puil em out every once and a while just so he doesn't get rusty, and for dumb MU's. But other than that, I'm staying wario. That cool? lol
Ya, but i'd try to make it earlier if possible. Smash isn't gonna be all. I'll prolly have Some Call of Duty hooked to the new HD t.v. for the other friends im having over. Chris has to work on saturday apparently. Cool cool sounds good i'll still use ur mk when needed though ;). I won't upload every match but we can do some randoms to warm up and have fun then we can decide to upload legit sets where we cp and everything sound good? Which characters do you want sets vs? I'll also be looking at you for more wario tips. And you can get a serious set vs Solo mk if you want.
Oh and can we do some pit vs marth? And maybe a few Pit vs Lucario?
Gallax-hr-mvd=snake trainers
Solo-sax=wario trainers
Pit=me myself and i.

SAX

Smash Ace
Okay, I'll see when earliest I can make it is, but if solo can't come I'd prolly pass for another day, just so cod wouldn't cut any training short lol. Yeah the legit sets would be cool! And idc man, you could do ddd marth and falco for all I care xD yeah and I'll always be here to help.
Haha sounds good if solo comes!

:phone:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Okay, I'll see when earliest I can make it is, but if solo can't come I'd prolly pass for another day, just so cod wouldn't cut any training short lol. Yeah the legit sets would be cool! And idc man, you could do ddd marth and falco for all I care xD yeah and I'll always be here to help.
Haha sounds good if solo comes!

There's gonna be 3 t.v.'s. Smash and CoD wont interfere with each other.

SAX

Smash Ace
this makes no sense. Im so confused.
Oh I thought I already told pwneroni was coming. He is coming down to Orlando to visit some family I pmed him about the smash at your house this sat. I'm suppose to give him a ride to your house.
Yo pwneroni, I still need your families adress so I know where to pick you up. When are you schduled to land?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What are you talking about?

I thought somehow my thing went screwey and that was you saying you'd be there at 4...and it was just showing as pwn on mine...but it wasn't o3o so i'm good. It was just confusing me~

snake~

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the critique my wario thread where we try to help each other improve.

Rules of the Thread:
1. Present 1 or 2 videos of yourself, giving background as to when the videos were recorded, where, who is the opponent, etc (don't make this part a wall of text though lol). Tournament videos or MM videos are preferred but (serious) friendlies are acceptable. Also please post videos that are recent and of things that you want critiqued which means it doesn't always have to be that you won the match since even in winning there's something to be learned. No computer matches are permitted but if need be WiFi matches are allowed but only if the critiques are OK with it. Best video quality that you can offer should be presented since improvement of skill is what is truely important to us.

2. Videos that are presented will be added to the original post and cateriagized and any comments will be posted under thier name so that they don't have to search the whole thread in search of who related help to them.

3. Before posting a comment on how to help your fellow Wario in his endeavor to become better. YOU MUST WATCH BOTH VIDEOS HE/SHE POSTED. This way you can get a accurate view of their play-style and to help them see where the holes in their game plan are.

6. It is preferred that videos be against S tier, A tier, or B tier characters because those are the matchups most people know well so we can give you better advice. Though if that's not possible, then since you have no alternative any character will do but you most likely won't get as good advice.
7. You must read your critiques.
8. You must ask for advice or feedback on a a specific aspect of your Wario in your post. For instance, something like "how can i work on my ground game" or "how do i approach this person" or "what am i doing wrong". Don't expect to just dump a bunch of random videos and expect people to tell you how to be good.
9. Please after you post your videos please specify who you would like to judge it in the most generic opinion you can say everyone. You can suggest a certain Judge to do it but wait time might be longer.

Judges:
Masky
DMG

Video list:
silentboxer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4WNAmE9DkU (Me. VS random online snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbsI2KBL7kY (Me [black and white] vs. Dynomite)

TheOgbot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJQjip1zNw vs GnW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgMsTHyJn8 vs Snake

Croi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOHREo5Ndms (vs Luigi)
Silentboxer, what was that? You got whooped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom