• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky's Lab: Video & Kritique Thread

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Ok cool thanks man, Ill keep that stuff in mind! I think DK is a really fun character and does have a lot potential so I want to learn him, I appreciate the critique though!

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
@Theelitebrawler,

Your Donkey Kong is spectacular for just starting. Now on to the critique. In order to be better you have to be more patient. In the video you were doing some pretty cool stuff and if it works it works so just based on that simple fact I cannot refute. However, a simple thing that stuck out to me while charging your punch at the right times you never once decided to take advantage of using your wind up punches armor frames and knock rob away while he attacks you. Don't worry about the damage so much that you'll take, the fact is you'll still be standing. No use of Down-b at all which isn't bad for a mix up. More down tilt which is stupid good. Oh and your basic A combo is great. Your traveling to the top platform with up-B with such nice control was awesome! Keep working on it. Heck, I'm still trying to get my Donkey Kong right...been playing him forever but, truthfully it's more because, of my patience that I lose or lack of match up knowledge. Never forget the true inner beast that is DK. Be patient. Release your inner jungle.

PS. I'm walnut from Florida. ( Second Sheik)

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Thanks. I'm used to not being so patient a lot because I main Mario and I usually can just come in and dair them or something (unless its just a really risky and horrible MU.) I've been working on my patience and timing with DK, I'll be sure to post another video here soon.

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. I'm used to not being so patient a lot because I main Mario and I usually can just come in and dair them or something (unless its just a really risky and horrible MU.) I've been working on my patience and timing with DK, I'll be sure to post another video here soon.
Alright sounds good! I used to main Mario as well :)

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I'm gonna have some matches against Nysyarc, the fifth best Ike, up here as soon as they get put on Youtube. I'd like some critiquing, or maybe they could be used to explain the matchup, because I played super well. :) I'd never beaten the guy before either, so yeah.

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have some matches against Nysyarc, the fifth best Ike, up here as soon as they get put on Youtube. I'd like some critiquing, or maybe they could be used to explain the matchup, because I played super well. :) I'd never beaten the guy before either, so yeah.
I check the boards every once in a while but, as soon as I can I will give you a critique as well. Interesting to note the fifth best Ike, can't wait to see the videos! :)

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
Just rewind it to the beginning if you wanna critique. We call that the "Violator." :p
Alright. So here goes. First and foremost your donkey kong is better than mine. I am impressed by it. You exhibit a high sense of what to do in each situation. However, there is always a way to improve. Furthermore, at 1:22 nice forward smash pressure to knock your opponent back towards the edge again. @3:02 great job avoiding the counter and @3:47 very nice up-tilt to pivot grab read. Very intelligent play here. The Ike was good also however me having been gracious enough to face one of the best Ike's in the Nation myself Ryo. He (Nysyarc) could even improve. But, that's for another thread. Like I mentioned before I feel based on this match and series your donkey kong is better than mine. Whatever that means. All I can note is your higher awareness of what to do perhaps you have played this individual numerous times but, it has left such an impression. I advise you to avoid more damage from the edge camping of Ike, follow up tighter (@1:10) you could have killed him sooner had you followed up safely back airing, and space more with high percents (he was able to fast fall up air you @2:00).

Hope this helps a little bit. Good games to both.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
In your match against the Snake (RKO), you did back throw back onto the stage while next to the ledge. Against Snake, you gotta have him off stage, with every character, from my knowledge. Too lazy to watch the rest of the matches, so good luck, I guess, and keep practicing. XD

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I really feel dumb asking this, but I am not a computer person, so I shall ask anyway. Is there anyway I can upload a video to youtube without having a camera? :o

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Pretty nasty frametraps you got there Tearbear. I like that somebody else uses f-air like I do. Really good up-b shenanigans too.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Watch a bit more closely and I think you'll realize these were those friendlies we had while we were trying not to get kicked off the TV pretty close to the projection screen xD

I think our MM with that DK vs Fox Castle Siege game took place on the Wii far in the back of the room. Either way, these matches were fun as hell =)

crifer

Smash Lord
Watch a bit more closely and I think you'll realize these were those friendlies we had while we were trying not to get kicked off the TV pretty close to the projection screen xD

I think our MM with that DK vs Fox Castle Siege game took place on the Wii far in the back of the room. Either way, these matches were fun as hell =)
yeah, possible.
Also the first match you did a SD, afaik.... :-/
But they were really fun :-)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Hi DKs! I main Yoshi, but I'm taking a break from him to work on my secondaries (DK/Diddy), and fortunately, I was able to get a bunch of videos from my monthly this past weekend.

vs. Courier :zelda: [2] [3]

First round of brackets. I went Diddy game 1 and lost. XD Pulled some lucky BS on Delfino though that I think shook my opponent's confidence more than a little bit. I'm sure I could've handled some situations in game 3 a lot better than I did, but it worked out for me. (thanks in no small part to Fsmash~)

vs. Captain L :pikachu2: [2] [3]

Winner's Semis. I was so happy with game 2. ^.^ I also surprised myself game 1 when I landed those side Bs; I almost never find opportunities to sneak those in, so landing 2 in one stock was definitely a first for me. Definitely should've just gone for the Uair followup though. >.> I clearly handled game 3 pretty badly though. Maybe I would've been better off switching to Diddy, but I wanted to play it out. *shrug* My ban was Halberd BTW, because he loves that stage and planks really hard there. Not sure what I'll do next time though...

I also got some doubles matches uploaded!

+ Drake :rob: vs. Captain L :pikachu2: + Jason :rob: [3] [4] [5]

Loser's Finals. Game 2 wasn't saved (we lost on w/e their CP was). I choked really hard at the end of game 5, but I'm pretty happy with how I played aside from that, especially at the beginning of the set. I've never used DK in a serious doubles match before that day, but I really enjoyed this team. I definitely want to try to work on it and maybe do a bit better next time.

Overall, I think my most obvious flaw is the fact that I just don't use very many smashes. I'm afraid to commit to them most of the time, mainly because I'm not comfortable with them and I don't know when I should/shouldn't use them. Even when I get good opportunities, I usually freeze up. >.> Drake has prior experience teaming with DK, and he told me that I really need to throw out more smashes (at least in doubles).

I know I have a long way to go, so any tips you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

:005:

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey Firefly! I know it can be tough to know how and when to use DK's smash attacks at first. But! There are opportunities where d-smash is guaranteed on your opponent!

For instance, whenever pikachu d-smashes on your shield- shield most of it, spot dodge the last few hitboxes and buffer d-smash = guaranteed. In general, shield drop d-smash is very good. If you ever powershield something, that should be one of your foremost options imo.

:phone:

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I may actually have several videos up on here soon at the latest NC tournament I recorded pretty much everything. whether the guy with the recording setup uploads them is a different matter, lol

You can all watch me get bodied/body esam a couple times.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Hey Firefly! I know it can be tough to know how and when to use DK's smash attacks at first. But! There are opportunities where d-smash is guaranteed on your opponent!

For instance, whenever pikachu d-smashes on your shield- shield most of it, spot dodge the last few hitboxes and buffer d-smash = guaranteed. In general, shield drop d-smash is very good. If you ever powershield something, that should be one of your foremost options imo.
He does like to go for those Dsmashes when my shield is low. I've just been going for Ftilts and grabs after the last hitbox finishes, but that spotdodge -> Dsmash sounds fantastic. I'll definitely work on that punish for next time, and I'm going to make myself look for opportunities to Dsmash OoS from now on. Thanks for the tip! ^.^

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I throw out smashes as much as I want, but I'm not a smart singles DK. In dubz though, the reason why he wanted you to is because ROB is perfect for resetting the situation.

When Drake came back and visited for Christmas we took out everybody, because I'd just spam Bair and smashes in 2v1's. If I saw any trouble, I'd yell help and he'd fire off a laser or guyro. If they happened to separate us, we were good enough in the one on one that it didn't matter too much, and when they were both offstage he'd take them and I'd charge.

That's our basic gameplan. And if we were in 2v1, we'd ping pong them with Dtilt's, because Rob's has set knockback.

And cool tip, Will. :) I normally just SDI out of it, but dat works, too, haha.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I throw out smashes as much as I want, but I'm not a smart singles DK. In dubz though, the reason why he wanted you to is because ROB is perfect for resetting the situation.

When Drake came back and visited for Christmas we took out everybody, because I'd just spam Bair and smashes in 2v1's. If I saw any trouble, I'd yell help and he'd fire off a laser or guyro. If they happened to separate us, we were good enough in the one on one that it didn't matter too much, and when they were both offstage he'd take them and I'd charge.

That's our basic gameplan. And if we were in 2v1, we'd ping pong them with Dtilt's, because Rob's has set knockback.

And cool tip, Will. :) I normally just SDI out of it, but dat works, too, haha.
Yeah, that was the gist of what he told me to do. I obviously wasn't so good at getting my smashes in. (though I did get a double Dsmash KO on FD IIRC :awesome:) I definitely recall abusing the hell out of Dtilts and cargo Dthrows in 2v1s as well. Next time we team, I need to learn to just trust his ability to assist me and help me get those smashes in (relatively) safely.

Also, you should do this to Pikachu ^_^

Super chain grab into edge guard combo!

<3 Lambnadr aka Nick Best!!!
Heh, I got the CG on the first game, but sadly, I wasn't able to get the 0-death off. XD It did give me enough momentum to bring me back into the game after a solid deficit though. That is, at least until I ate a double thunder like an idiot... :glare:

I'm glad you brought that up, because as soon as I started my CG, Captain L exclaimed "Oh no, I'm Lamb!" Good times~

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Omg haha that's right you almost had it!! It seems easier to follow up with back airs if you d-tilt after the CG since there is less knock back than f-tilt. Also, be sure to soft drop through the platform so that you don't buffer a fast fall. You'll get it =)

Ruinn

Smash Ace
will should still get those online dittos in with me. :p also can that cg on the platform of sv, can it only be done offline? Cause I tried to preform it and failed miserably. ;-;

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Omg haha that's right you almost had it!! It seems easier to follow up with back airs if you d-tilt after the CG since there is less knock back than f-tilt. Also, be sure to soft drop through the platform so that you don't buffer a fast fall. You'll get it =)

I'll keep that in mind. I probably won't play him on SV next time though. I'll probably strike it next time (7 starter list), and I don't think either of us would CP it unless it was a Bo5. IDK why I agreed to SV this time. :x

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Bo5 = Best of 5 set. As opposed to a best of 3 set where the first player to win 2 games wins the set (most tournament sets are played out like this), the first player to win 3 games wins a best of 5 (this is generally used for finals sets).

I got your visitor message BTW. I don't have a Wii at home, so I can't do Wifi. =[ Sorry I didn't answer earlier, but visitor messages on your wall were disabled. =P

Top Bottom