• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky's Lab: Video & Kritique Thread

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I've lost too many matches because of that pictochat line =c. AWESOME F-air into u-air combo.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
C'mon we discussed this a long time ago. Black Kong is Martin Luther Kong.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198090

I mean what else are we gonna call him? I can't think of anything clever and that's a classic man.

Edit: OH man I thought this was the social thread why are we talking about this here. Move any color discussion to the social thread, or even make a new one, please.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I loved game 1, and to an extent game 3. You kept momentum so well when you had it!
Shield break was perfect too lol.

Bit of advice. I thought your giant punches looked sorta obvious... even if most of them landed lol. Idk maybe it's just something DK mains can see.

And also why did you CP PS1? Nothing good ever comes from that stage, I swear :urg:. I don't know what the stagelist was there, but you at least had Picto right? Or maybe like Battlefield? On paper, PS1 looks good for us, but I've never actually been successful there :s.

Cable

Smash Lord
I love how you played last stock game one against Falco you put more pressure and avoided the CG its always important and the shield breaker yes :)

Game 3 against MK advice don't use f-tilt when mk is on the ground its too slow and if they shield you can get punished for it better d-tilt only use f-tilt for the tornado or u-tilt and you were using it good stuff.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
Thanks for the response, Sold2 and Cable. I feel my timing was way off (eg early up b when recovering back to the stage or F-smash the wrong side). I will work on not using f tilt too much vs mk I do get punished alot by using that move.

DrG

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Also against MK, if you are being pressured of stage, recover high, especially on PS1 when stuff like the windmill and tall platforms are around. You got messed up by nado, it happens i know. it sucks, i saw you try to beat it a few times with up tilt and f tilt, i think you beat it out twice. But what you should try doing instead is keeping a punch for when he nados.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
Also against MK, if you are being pressured of stage, recover high, especially on PS1 when stuff like the windmill and tall platforms are around. You got messed up by nado, it happens i know. it sucks, i saw you try to beat it a few times with up tilt and f tilt, i think you beat it out twice. But what you should try doing instead is keeping a punch for when he nados.
That's an excellent advice. I'll keep that mind. With that, it'd keep MK less tornadoing. Yeah, i was thinking the same thing about up b high so i won't die early!

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
More like d-smash > Snake. Great job, very cleanly played all around. Very solid punishes, especially that d-smash on his second stock.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
If you guys are interested, I have a ton of new videos up from KTAR 5. Bracket matches include me vs Doommachine, Cable, M@v, and Pelca as well as a doubles match of me and Nakat vs Tony T and HeavyGarbage. Additionally, I MM-ed Holy's Rob for $5 in a best of 3. Damn is he good =x

Here's the link to the video thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12755736#post12755736

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=RoOyIcIVSNc
Eyy there DKs. This is a match from a smashfest the other day against a DK i've been practicing with and coaching for several months now, and I think he's gotten pretty good minus his unlucky SD habit. He's been studying and stalking these boards for awhile lol. I've been trying to help with general dk stuff I've picked up but I think some critique from you guys would be better, because I barely know anything about DK besides basics.

:phone:

i1337

Smash Ace
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=RoOyIcIVSNc
Eyy there DKs. This is a match from a smashfest the other day against a DK i've been practicing with and coaching for several months now, and I think he's gotten pretty good minus his unlucky SD habit. He's been studying and stalking these boards for awhile lol. I've been trying to help with general dk stuff I've picked up but I think some critique from you guys would be better, because I barely know anything about DK besides basics.

:phone:
dat Snoic. inb4intentionaltype

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Don't jump vs Grounded Snake so much, if at all. We have literally no business in the air vs him unless he's in the air or did something punishable. Our grounded game works really well vs his and doesn't leave us open as to getting blown up by a billion things or having to airdodging into tilts and grabs.

Once you're on the ground, just try to outrange him and punish him for putting down explosives or pulling grenades. Snake's close combat game is better than ours, he has too many fast options and traps, but we can play the mid range game very well until he gets popped up in the air.

Watch out for dash attacks. Like seriously you have to wait for these and punish it, you can't let Snake do this for free.

The jumping is the biggest problem there really. Other than that, don't be afraid of going super far off the ledge to chase Snake and hold your giant punch. Giant punch is best used as both a threat and for punching him when he does something stupid and obvious like b-reversing a grenade in mid-air near you, or holding out rapid jabs.

Lylat's an alright choice, though you didn't look that comfortable there. Really against Snake, go where you're most comfortable first. You don't need to be dealing with thinking about the stage AND his explosives if you don't have to. Personal favorite CPs vs Snake are PS2 and Delfino, RC if I think they don't know what to do there. Though I wouldn't take Bizkit to PS2 unless you feel super comfortable there lol.

Anyways that's my critique, for actual comments.

omg how did that shield not break.
Bizkit with those style combos.
and wow you play a silly kong.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Silly?? That's a new one lol.

N I'm fairly certain that I jump because it's the most effective way for me 2 dodge nado's.....:/
It's def a habit I can break, once I become more adept at dodging things by sidestepping,rolling or proper shielding.

Lylat was....who knows man. I made a rush decision off of an odd gut feeling. (A dumb one in retrospect.)

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I got into the Grand finals at a small local tourney that had 16 entrants. I was up against this Diddy player who I had beaten previously in the bracket 2-1 DK vs Diddy. It seems that he learned the ins and outs of the MU pretty quickly and I had a hard time approaching.
This was my first time being in singles GF and by looking at the set its obvious how nervously I played.

Here's the set (he had to beat me twice to win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6HadP6EEs
I would really appreciate it if someone would take their time to look at the sets and somehow critique it. I have a hard time mixing up against Diddy kong and it seems that everything I try to do gets punished by bananas sooner or later. xD

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
I got into the Grand finals at a small local tourney that had 16 entrants. I was up against this Diddy player who I had beaten previously in the bracket 2-1 DK vs Diddy. It seems that he learned the ins and outs of the MU pretty quickly and I had a hard time approaching.
This was my first time being in singles GF and by looking at the set its obvious how nervously I played.

Here's the set (he had to beat me twice to win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6HadP6EEs
I would really appreciate it if someone would take their time to look at the sets and somehow critique it. I have a hard time mixing up against Diddy kong and it seems that everything I try to do gets punished by bananas sooner or later. xD
I will crituqe them. I am donkey kong main now. He has been my secondary since the game came out and now I'm bringing him up.

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
Game 1
======
Jebu you should not focus on charging your punch so much. Back throw him off stage and then charge a bit. Also battlefield is one of your best stages because, of being under the platforms stop jumping so much on that stage. Stay grounded more and use the banana's. If he has one simply walk up to him and use tilts or block. If you can manage to face him with one in your hand also, only throw yours after he has thrown his. Throw it at either him to cancel the banana's or at your feet. Control the ground and own the stage by keeping him above you. Control your DK. Remember, you're Donkey Kong and you have incredible range. Make sure he remembers that (forward tilt). Up tilt, kills landings on this stage...add a down-b every once in a blue moon. In this match up down-b is very situational (3:10 in the video).

Game 2
======
At 5:33 you jumped off and missed a free down-b. At 6:04 you should have gotten to the lowest level of the stage and punished from below instead of trying an unnecessary back air from the top platform. Like last match you want him above you. Great use of down-b in this match it wrecks snake. However only use it were logical (do not blow yourself up). Stay grounded for pressure and use up tilt. You can fight in the air but, only for mixup because, truthfully snake is horrible at landing, so abuse it. At 6:38 you should have kept the down-b's coming which would have probably set him on the top platform or in the air enough for you to position below and pressure him from under (like 6:58)...which could have lead to his demise earlier.

Game 3
======
First off I don't play Wario but, I will give my input.. :D! Watch the stage more and play the match don't just rush in. Use a simple punish and pressure him by staying alive with a fart always ready. Do not just run in...even use his banana's against him. Fart him if he side b's from off stage to on. That's all I have :/

Game 4
======
Everything is almost the same from the first game accept. The air game you had was appropriate this time. Diddy with two banana's is a no go. Do not approach that lol (15:55 all day). O an down tilt is great, I never mentioned that .

Game 5
======
Again control the stage. Great up tilt at 17:02. But, you shouldn't have followed up with an up-b because, it positioned you above him. Stay under him if possible (plus he had no banana's. Every time he has two banana's you have to not approach (or be very very cautious). I found you trying to trade blow for blow with him. Do not. You are Donkey Kong. Truthfully, all you need are a few well placed hits that set up for the worst.

Game 6
======
Good game even though you lost. You played better. Apply what was said earlier.

Game 7
======
Diddy slipping on banana's is good. Diddy with two banana's is hard (very). Try and think of it as fighting ice climbers...you want to separate the two banana's as apposed to not. Again, do not let him get his banana's (one is okay) even if you do not get your punch fully charged. It's not worth the pain that Diddy will bring.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Actually your DK is really nice if you just started. I'd love to see more and definitely keep using DK.

You're going to need to learn to contain yourself though, in a sense. You're really greedy. Taking risks is great with DK but if you just always take the risk, they're going to catch on. DK's simple juggles with b-air and u-air are incredible and extremely reliable. Also this is kind of a really difficult video to critique because the ROB never sat down and defended. A big part of your success with DK is about how well you can get someone out of their shield and start juggling them. You kinda got a free pass and skipped straight to the juggling phase lol.

This will come with playing the character more, but learn what kills when. Especially with a move like D-smash, unnecessarily staling it really hurts. There's also little reason to take a risk with F-smash if it's not coming close to killing.

Little thing, when you up-b brake in the ceiling like that, you get a ton of airspeed. You want to take the up-b above the stage so that you can keep your options. When you just fall at the side like that, it's obvious you can only go to the edge, but if you're above the stage you can trick them and stuff.

I never got to see it since ROB got juggled the entire time so I'll just say that walking and patience is really important for DK when approaching.

Top Bottom