• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky's Lab: Video & Kritique Thread

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Thanks. I know I still have a lot to work on though; my aerial upBs still need a lot of polishing (I often miss the lagless landings on platforms) and I could probably count the number of successful Dsmashes from all those matches on one hand. :glare:

Also, I edited in game 4 of GFs 1. I missed it the first time while digging through the uploads since they were somewhat out of order.

:005:

Ruinn

Smash Ace
quick question dk users.

When you can land a successful side b and the character is not in kill percents, what move(s) do you try to do? Do you try the charged smash/smash anyway? Or do you throw in some ftilts/dtilts? I usually do smashes but I'm wondering if maybe 2 dtilts which adds up to about 20ish percent might be the smarter idea. What do you guys say?

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
quick question dk users.

When you can land a successful side b and the character is not in kill percents, what move(s) do you try to do? Do you try the charged smash/smash anyway? Or do you throw in some ftilts/dtilts? I usually do smashes but I'm wondering if maybe 2 dtilts which adds up to about 20ish percent might be the smarter idea. What do you guys say?
I almost always D-smash them because I know its quick and it deals pretty good damage. People usually start button mashing as soon as they realize that they're going to get hit by Side-B. DK also has his ending lag after side-b which gives you less time to followup so I barely ever hit them with F-smash. If they're above 90% then getting f-smash or DK punch is more reliable. If they don't mash (which is usually rare) then you could just KO them with 9-wind punch at 60% or so. If they're button mashing, just go for your fastest move (preferably d-smash). Sometimes at lower %'s (10-50) you could just jump and U-air/Dair/Fair their jumping animation when they mash themselves out of being grounded.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Personally I always use F-air. Not because it's good or anything, it's just extremely satisfying. You should probably avoid using side-b at lower percents anyways, it loses a lot of its value. But if it slips your mind, at least make it cool and use f-air.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I'd go with d smash as a safe option but often I wait a bit, then jump and dair. Fastfall down and wait for a roll. it's possible to get a grab or jab or even dsmash or something if timed right. I woudl do fair but I actually find it cooler to spike them as they fly upwards. and I get a followup
But this is absolutely not guaranteed sooooo yeah. It depends on wher eI am in the match or how confident I am at the moment.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
If you want to go all fancy, you could stand right were they are and time a usmash as they jump up. that's extremely satisfying if it hits.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7iiQ5NnXu8
Bracket match from a recent tourney.

Olimar MU... =/ It's so annoying to play as DK. I was kinda lucky to make that comeback in the last match. I don't know how I would have won otherwise.
1st match is against Diddy and I didn't really have any trouble there.

Neon!

Smash Lord
1st half: how NOT to play against mk
2nd half: How to play against mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_zO2H4Uw0s

I will be updating this thread soon with more recent videos and will be offering more in depth critique for players who want it. I wanted the thread to list videos by matchups, I'll keep older videos that are still relevant or well known on the front page (ook vs mike, cable vs sk92) Old matches that are not relevant will be archived under a "2008-2010" sort of heading. Please offer suggestions, I need to know what you guys want.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Well played Neon! I really enjoyed watching you get your head in the game and kick his ***.

Neon!

Smash Lord
I'm still working on updating this thread, it may take a little longer than i thought considering how long it takes to format the video url so that they look pretty.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Finally had time to update this thread, suggestions are welcome.

The most important new function of this thread is that I can now upload replays that are sent to me for discussion/personal use.

Title page looks boring right now but I'll fix that later.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
My first tournament in 2 months! Here is some footage of the DK vs G&W matchup. In the case that it's not spliced and uploaded to YouTube shortly, I'll just leave you guys the raw footage of the stream.

Go to 3:10:30 for
Will (DK) vs Pentasalia (G&W)

http://www.twitch.tv/teamcustomcombo2/b/315007868

Hopefully I displayed some of the things I talked with Jesse about. For some reason I felt like I couldn't follow up after SDI-ing out of b-air though. Thoughts?

I had another match on stream vs a Ness player at 1:50:47
Will (DK) vs Baconator (Ness)

This was my round 1, my first match after not playing competitive for two months. It felt really fresh and I was surprised to not be rustier =x

Neon!

Smash Lord
You played the matchup very well again Penta. You shouldnt have challenged GW's up'b like you did in the first match but otherwise this a great example of how to outspace GW. Many new players in general feel that they have to always be moving around but you showed numerous times that by standing still (and having good reflexes) you can cover all of their offensive options. DK's utilt, up angled ftilt and short hop bair cover so many of GW aerials approaches that standing still is sometimes the best defensive option.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
don't get me wrong but doesn't nado kinda ***** dk Neon?

I think that most mk's just don't abuse that move in this mu

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
tornado is very hard to combat as dk, DK's ftilt and utilt beat it but you have to react quickly.
true dk has options but in general they are not that good
and if dk is in the air it's an "catch the ape with tornado" game
I do really hate the mu personaly. It's doable dut freaking hard.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
as appoased to doing it by characters, you should break it up by each player. so like a section for you, and then what chars you faced udner each picture. and do that for everybody

Neon!

Smash Lord
I'll consider that although I think by character makes it easier to find matches you want to watch. Doing it by player makes it really messy imo, I'll upadte this list again soon, of there are any important matches from the past year and a half that arent up here please post them.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Can I get a critique guys? I'm going to be playing DK at my next tournament on June 9, and I'd like to know what I should do to improve some before then. This is a match of me playing against Spade's Marth (Current #5 on our PR). I did kill myself my last stock, but aside from that, I feel like I did well playing against a good Marth.

http://youtu.be/2V3bxa9zA-w?t=2m38s

Thanks guys!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
imma name a few things quikly.. I don't have much time atm sorry =/

spacing, and knowing your options as dk. Your dk isn't stupid by any means but try to get as much character knowledge as you can by reading these boards:)
don't let him cpmob you that easely (SDI).
use your faster moves more like bair and dtilt.
I have to say this marth is good but I felt like you got hit way to much.
Do not stay ff-stage so long.. you are playing marth lol

all in all you have to know your character better. things like spacing ad knowing your options are all things that have to do with character knowledge.
you also would help yourself by making a more steady playstile like not going in and defend yourself with your hitboxes. And learn how to avoid all those hits

those few things shoukd be it I gues...

hope it can help you out =)

BeanBurrito

Smash Cadet
I just went to my first big tournament this weekend and was hoping to get some tips on how to improve my DK! Any help is greatly appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUacZ5Jnc4Q&list=UUvqipEoq2CKQEcP-0MrKtlQ&index=8&feature=plcp
Being my first big tournament, I had never really fought a good ICs or MK, so I didn't have much actual matchup experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUORokHbW6E&list=UUvqipEoq2CKQEcP-0MrKtlQ&index=10&feature=plcp
I know its Ganondorf, but DLA is one of the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSfYjJNJgXw&list=UUvqipEoq2CKQEcP-0MrKtlQ&index=9&feature=plcp
I got killed the first match, but I feel like I made the proper adjustments for the next two matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIrgBzrpR4&list=UUvqipEoq2CKQEcP-0MrKtlQ&index=4&feature=plcp
I had been playing friendlies earlier with this guy, and I just couldn't do anything against his fox, so thats why I tried going ROB (not knowing the the matchup is just as bad)

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I hate playing Luigi, haha. It's basically one combo and you're done. Also, NEVER shield grab or be obvious with grabs against Luigi at 70% or above. Even WILL lost to our resident Luigi cuz he got firepunched hardddddd.

NEVER APPROACH LUIGI WITH GROUNDED DOWNB. YOU ARE ASKING FOR A FIREPUNCH! You can use it to catch landings, but his Nair is so friggin' busted that he could prolly make better of the trade anyway.

Against Lain, the first stock after dying you just went for a downB while invincible. You prolly coulda got a way harder move off that coulda changed things. Sometimes when I'm just getting back from dying, I walk up and charge a dsmash right in their face and see what they do. DK's a scary character, gotta make 'em fear 'im.

Just noticed at 8:30 of the Luigi matches that you did the walk up dsmash. Loved it!

I only watched those couple of matches, but with the talent you went up against, don't be ashamed, dude.

I keep editing this, haha. Try to avoid rolling onto the stage from the ledge >100% with DK. He does a really obvious butt-wiggle, and it's unfortunate times when your roll gets read with a firepunch or any hard hitting move in the game. Of course there are situations where it's alright to do, but yeah. Will told me that sometimes you just gotta gay the ledge with upB, when they get close, uair them, when they back off, get on stage.

I'm from N.S., so we have a good Wario who's unranked, the 5th best Marth, 3rd best Ike, and 5th best Pikachu. The 4th best Luigi is currently in T.O., but still. You have a lot more talent around you, so take advantage of it!

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I still remember fighting the first good luigi who didn't fall with nair every time he felt pressured. that was a bad day. Luigi can easily punish side b and up B with his fire punch. also if you try to tipper jab into something and luigi powershields the down smash (if you do that) after, he gets a free one.
srsly it sucks.

Top Bottom