• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky's Lab: Video & Kritique Thread

Luigi player

Smash Master
I have one vid of my DK from BiB3 against Tays Snake:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5eSRpH3eFc&feature=plcp#t=6m10s

Was the only time I used DK in tourney lol. He beat my Diddy twice with Snake and lead 2:1 and I went all or nothing with DK! But of course I was confident being able to win. (Last game I switched back to Diddy cuz I beat his ZSS game 1 with him and I have no idea how I'd do against her with DK so I just switched back to be safe)

I got a bit reckless in the last stock since I had such a lead, but I guess that wasn't too good. It annoys me that it got so close still, but oh well... btw I didn't use a single smash attack in that match lol, because I felt they're too risky (I hate being punished for using dsmash). If you notice I often dash forward then stand still. I hate that this happens. I almost always wanted to go for a running downB, but did it too early. >.<

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
yeah definitely work on the whole running down b thing it's an invaluable tool vs. snake. there were tons of times where you went for a punish like grab and got naded or some other thing when the tip of Down b range would have popped snake up and put you in a better position. overall good job though

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Not bad at all man. The things I noticed is that you're really immobile, you seemed uncomfortable with DK's size, and you need to work on fully utilizing DK's moveset.

The first and second point are probably related. You relied on your shield a lot, which unfortunate for this discussion your opponent just kept jumping into it. Play DK more and get more comfortable with his size so you can implement your walk actions, which you seem to have a good idea of, with dash shield, rolls, specials out of run, RARs, etc. Especially vs a character like Wolf you want to be able to keep his spacing off, and it's really important for our gameplan to be diverse. Not everybody will let you play reaction-DK like your opponent did here, and that's when you really need all of those options.

Your selection of moves with DK is fairly linear. I like that you tried Side-b to keep them on their toes but you threw it too often. IIRC that lead to you just getting u-tilted for it and other junk. Again what I said earlier, learning when to implement up-b and down-b out of a dash will improve your approaching dramatically, though you didn't really have to do that in this set. One move I never saw was u-tilt, which was mindblowing for me. Play around with that move, it's really versatile and fills in a lot of holes in your attacks. More jab will do you good. I actually really didn't get to see you use your aerials outside of b-air much, you didn't juggle so much as you just pushed them to the edge.

Keep it up, you've already got a lot of tricks down and you just need to get more familiar with the character right now.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Thanks!

You're right, I'm a bit too shield-happy, especially with DK since he has no fast options on the ground. :/

I also need to get used to his big size, as you said.

"Especially vs a character like Wolf you want to be able to keep his spacing off, and it's really important for our gameplan to be diverse. Not everybody will let you play reaction-DK like your opponent did here, and that's when you really need all of those options."
Could you be more precise please? I'm not sure if I see what you're talking about.

I really like the DownB approach (but not against every character, aerial based characters aren't really affected by it) but I'm not a huge fan of UpB approach... When should I use it?

Moar U-tilt! Got it. :p
I don't really like DK's Jab because it's kinda slow for a Jab (and that's a reason why I often shield), but it's still his fastest option so yeah, I'll use it more in the future.

DK's aerials are fairly slow (except U-air and B-air obviously ; and I don't like N-air because of its poor range) so I don't really use them, except in some cases...

I try to get them to the edge because imo, DK is good at trapping opponents on the ledge, so pushing them to the edge instead of juggling isn't that bad, I guess?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Upb if you get pressured or want to mix it up. It has super armor on frames 10-16 which is one of the reasons it is a decent approach/tool for dk.

It can also be used as a dash attack or for shieldpressure when your opponents shield is low

:phone:

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Uair is monstrous, please use it a lot. Sometimes I use it to approach instead of bair. xD

But yeah, utilt is a great "get off me" move, and jab has many uses. Jab 1 sets them up for gimmicks out the wazoo, and if they dodge that, just hit them with the second. Now they're in the air >read airdodge with usmash or uair.

I can't say much about upB, but I find myself using it when they're at low percent, or when I'm at high percent.

I haven't watched the matches yet, so I will after my classes, but yeah. :p

Also, instead of shielding a ton, I do upB OoS just to get away and reset. That's my preference though, doesn't work for everyone, haha.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Incase anyone still checks these boards, I'd like a critique on my DK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZq45TpIGZQ

Five matches. Any critique would be nice, trying to get back into Brawl so I'm looking for advice. If possible, subscribe if you want!
Just looking at the first game, you should use like, tilts and stuff (other than utilt OoS). Up-angled ftilt is good for stuffing aerial approaches. Cut down on the smash attacks, cuz when people catch on to those, it's a bad situation.

Out of the upB, don't just autopilot into dsmash or fsmash. When upB-ing and carrying them up to Battlefield's platforms, that's a better dsmash or utilt situation, but you weren't even close to hitting him with the fsmash, and I don't think he even had a chance to get hit by it anyway. It's better to just read what they'll do, or shield 'cuz some chars can get out of it (don't be obvious with the shield or they'll grab you, but yeah).

Speaking of upB, learn to recover to the ledge, or work on recovering on stage laglessly. A lot of times you could have easily gone to the ledge, but you recovered way above stage. You needlessly created a mindgame by recovering high then pulling back to the ledge, when you could have just recovered to the ledge, haha. Also, not the best idea to upB recklessly into people, ook did that to Mikeneko a lot and it didn't pay off. :p The best thing is to do it when they're near a ledge (creates great shield pressure, may push them onto the ledge). Either that, or do it while they are trying to land, or platform pressure. They may see it coming, but it catches air dodges on landings, so it's not like they can do much about it (unless it's another DK headbutting or something, but meh).

Ummmmm... MU specific stuff (I have more experience with Ike, so I'll talk aboot that), unless you're EXTREMELY confident in knocking Ike out of his upB, don't try it. DK's shield is poop, so even shielding the upB near the ledge is a poopy idea. You can dair and down-angled ftilt him out of his upB (prolly punch and fsmash too, but I don't trust them), but again, probably better not to unless you're amazing at it.

Down cargo throw is super chill against Ike - just walk off stage and toss him, then regrab the ledge with upB to renew invincibility and edgehog. Be careful though, cuz as he did in game 1, he gayed you out hard last stock with the upB spike.

Speaking of, you should grab. At all. DK enjoys characters being offstage, and bthrow/down cargo throw are pretty good for that. Don't be predictable though, especially with Ike's jab, cuz he can catch ya in jab cancel shenanigans.

Finally, 'cuz my hands are tired (may review this again later), when you had Kimchi in the air on Halberd, you juggled him with utilt to uair, then did a retreating bair and ran away from him. Ike's dair is pretty horrible for getting people off of him while he's airborne, so you should keep pressuring him with uairs/nairs. This applies to quite a few characters except like, G&W and MK (off the top of my head, probably more). And once they start catching on to you jumping up and uair-ing them, you can do an empty short hop to bait the air dodge, then usmash/dsmash. :)<3

Sorry if that sounded mean or whatever, I'm not trying to powertrip with my advice. Hopefully you keep playing DK, he's a cool guy except when half the cast ***** him. xD

People should chip in with more advice if they have the time, a few of the guys here are much better than me, so that'd be shwell. :3

EDIT:

You cleaned up some of the no-grab stuff last game against him, which was good. :) Also, DownB's kind of bad against Ike, unless you're reading a techroll off of something or a get up. He just jumped over it and fair'd you, haha. It's also not that amazing out of dthrow unless you condition them to stop something elsee.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I'll try my hand at it sometime soon, although the other DK's may be more knowledgeable.

I'm also pretty swamped with school this week, as clinical is starting, so yeah, hopefully I'll pull through. xD

I'm just gonna say a few things at a time whenever I think of them/have the free time to do so.

Off the top of my head:

Don't roll from the ledge with DK >100% unless the opponent has already committed to something. He has this horrendous butt-wiggle he does that is super super super telegraphed and is asking to get punished.

You don't have to start charging smash attacks and mashing downsmash early in a stock. It's best to get the guaranteed stuff like dthrow>ftilt and dtilt>downB and such. When he's in kill range is when you start, well, looking to kill. Contradictory to that, though, don't try toooooo hard to kill with those smash attacks, especially against Marth. Marth lovessssss baiting and punishing attacks. Also, don't roll behind Marth, just asking for Dancing Blade punishes.

Get to tourneys as soon as possible, as you can learn a lot of valuable things. Tourneys are a whole different ballgame in comparison to friendlies, or even seriouslies.

Try to learn to ftilt without walking forward so much. It'll keep ya safer in the long run. Same with bairing while moving forward. You can stay in place and even retreat the bairs if the situation calls for it.

I'll add more specific match time stuff when I can, hope this helps at all for nowww. :) Sorry if I sound serious, I make mistakes too, which is why I said other DK's might be better suited to critique, haha. I talk to Will relatively often, might be able to get him in on this.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post, but can anyone critique my vids? The DK forums seems a little dead, and I'd really like to try and revive em. I'd really appreciate it.
Game 1 (My favoruite Mu is Marth vs Dk)
0:09 - You do a full hop -> double jump way over Marth. Putting yourself above Marth is not the best thing to be doing, you could have retreated to the platform to charge a punch or shield dashed into him to apply pressure.

0:10 - You D-Tilted one too many times, get into the habit of reacting to trips from the D-Tilt if you want the down b.
0:22 - Again, I'm surprised he got hit.
0:35 - You Up B'd too soon after the jump, Dk can make it back from that. Work on your recovery.

You're also bairing too much toward Marth, you should be using them as pressure, not approaches. Dk does better against Marth when you play patiently, you can beat out his dash in approaches/ aerials with F-Tilt aimed up/ side.

0:41 - You can Bair Marth when he D-Throws you off stage at low damages, before he can even D-Tilt.

You roll too much, and go way above Marth too much.

1:03 - You had the bait.. but used Nair when Fair/ Uair would have given you more coverage.
1:09 - You rolled away from Marth, ran in and did Up B when you had enough space to charge your punch safely, learn when you have time to charge your punches and when you don't.
1:21 - You didn't pressure him off stage when you knew he was going to the platform, you just.. charged a punch. See above ^

Learn to aim your F-Tilts.

1:48 - You let his ledge jump Faor go unpunished, you can punish these by Full hop Uair.

You land with Nair too much, mix up your landings with Fair, Dair, Punch, Up B retreat to platform, Side B and Uair.
You also need to work on your Di, Up B shouldn't be killing Dk at 140%.
You use too many smashes when they aren't necessary/ won't kill and against Marth, your best ways to kill are Bair/ Dsmash/ Punch.

2:09 - You knocked him out of his jump.. but.. didn't grab the ledge, learn when you can grab the ledge to have an edge hog instead of going for a risky spike, even if they don't fall down and die, you can ledge hop + aerial to put them offstage again or set up a juggle trap from a uair.

Don't spot dodge so much with Dk.
You don't need to Bair twice to momentum cancel, you only need to do it once + fast fall, and don't recovery the same way each time. You need to recognize situations where your opponent will try to edgeguard you, then you stall your up b and mess up their timing.

3:02 - You had a punch charged, but opted for the weak hit of dsmash to punish his Up B, instead of dealing ~30% and putting him off stage/ in the air to net more damage and then you waste the punch right after.

3:19 - You let his missed Up B go un punished this time.

3:xx - You hit him with Fair, he missed the tech and you had a tech chase, but.. you jumped off the platform way above Marth, getting yourself killed.. where a fall through -> Punch(Ending his stock) or Bair would have kept it going.

Not going to watch the others because I don't want to watch the same thing over and over again.

http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/373049679

Go to 9:12:10 - It's a quick last minute match with the second best Marth in my region, he's better than ScareMi, trust me x3

http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/363308585

Go to 6:35:47 - It's a tournament set where I 2-0 the best Marth in my region.

Use these videos as help!

(Also critique them ? :3)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Hey, i have an set against Purple-H, he ***** my DK so hart in this set :O I have had problems to get closer snake
his spacing is so hart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJqKO3rHFp8
You're running into him with shield way too much, which is why he's beating you pretty badly.
When you're not running into him, you're trying to camp him with using Down B hoping he'll run or Dacus into it.

What you should be doing, is walking up to him and space a Down B instead of hoping he'll run into it.

Honestly, it looks to me like you're afraid of Snake, it's like you're just running around/ away from him and not really trying to pressure him into anything.

Giving up a lot control over the match. AND you should stop trying for really obscure punishes that rely on hard reads to work, go for the ones you have that are guaranteed. They'll be more effective than trying to force one.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Amazing. The MK deserved all of those Giant punches the way he disrespected you with those charged f-smashes.
I also liked how the commentators went from "despite being DK, I dont think he can make a comeback" and 15 seconds later you guys were practically even.

Last edited:

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
Just wanted to post my combo video and ask opinions of it.
youtube com/watch?v=bJGYtMnojwY
Not enough posts to post a link lol

Top Bottom