• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky's Lab: Video & Kritique Thread

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Yeah, i saw you use ftilt like 4 times, lol i counted :)

Dont use ledge attack when you are over 100% it is pure crap and easily punished.

Against Yoshi I prefer to stay on the ground to fight him and space ftilts, up b (which you used rather well) and run away bairs

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ahhhh! What happened? It didn't update it? I'm sorry guys, I made a booboo :(

I'ma fix it right now. Hopefully I remember to save it this time, haha.

EDIT: Okay, got it up. The dates posted up there are the dates the videos were uploaded to Youtube, not necessarily the dates y'all posted them up here. Sorry 'bout that again, guys.

YooY

Smash Cadet
Good matchs Man. I think that you don't Space enough agaisnt mk and that's why his nados are as effective. But Good matchs

Cable

Smash Lord
The first match I thought you did good with everything only thing you could change up is be careful with your air dodging in the air MK punishes that very easy try to get rid of that i also have that problem is kinda of a habit :( also when above tornado try to side b to kill time for tornado could stop or just foot stool it dont airdodge

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to YooY and Cable! Yeah nado is pretty much my biggest problem in this MU. Even decently good nadoing can be hard to avoid due to DKs size :/ Shield and Punish rarely works when dealing with the nado. I'll just have to try to space better next time. :p

daisho

Smash Lord
Something that often works is just staying far away and see if he approaches with nado... in that case punch him. If you manage to get it off once he will be much more hesitant to nado you for the rest of the set.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Ok so amazing news... all of my sets that I played on the livestream, which were quite a few, were saved. If they are given to Keitaro by Tantalus, they will be uploaded in 720p quality through a Wii emulator/Fraps method. It literally looks sexier than anything I have ever seen before.... I am so hyped for my vids to go up in this quality!! xD

Here is an example of how good it looks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrhrKTPOQo4

Change it from 480p to 720p for the full effect!!!

Edit: Also, my set vs Fatal from Viva La Smash III is up =)

Fatal (Snake) vs Will (DK) 1

Fatal (Snake) vs Will (DK) 2

crifer

Smash Lord
I seriously need a good demonstration and tips against lucas,
@ the weekend I´m going to play an awesome lucas player, who spaces nearly perfectly.
I know about the grab release regrab and dsmash, I know I should angle my shield up if he dairs...
But do you have any other tricks? Especially to get the grabs more easily? sh air dodge through his approaches??? pivot grab? or punish his landing maybe with a grab?

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend not trying to grab too often coz then you'll end up being too predictable about it and he'll start avoiding your grab at all cost. You should look for a grab when his % are closer to 80 and regrab a few times -> D-smash -> KO.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Lucas will probably try to PK spam, which is surprisingly effective against DK. I found that the best way to approach Lucas if he does this is to jump forward toward him and have a punch ready. If you try to approach backwards with bairs then he'll see it coming and dair you. But if you approach forward then you can jump over the PK fires; grab him if he tries to shield, double jump and bair him if he does a dair, and punch him if he's open trying to do another attack. You can gimp him pretty easy by attacking his poor recovery. Getting hit by his PK thunder-worm-thing will kill him. Because of the way he recovers, he'll also probably fall for a cargo throw to dair, but not more than once.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Lucas will probably try to PK spam, which is surprisingly effective against DK. I found that the best way to approach Lucas if he does this is to jump forward toward him and have a punch ready. If you try to approach backwards with bairs then he'll see it coming and dair you. But if you approach forward then you can jump over the PK fires; grab him if he tries to shield, double jump and bair him if he does a dair, and punch him if he's open trying to do another attack. You can gimp him pretty easy by attacking his poor recovery. Getting hit by his PK thunder-worm-thing will kill him. Because of the way he recovers, he'll also probably fall for a cargo throw to dair, but not more than once.
you have never seen or played against a very good lucas I take it?

first off, lucas does not have a poor recovery in anyway. he has one of the best recoveries in the game. he may get hit a couple times ill give you that but he ALWAYS recovers.

lucas' don't spam PK fire, bad ones do but good ones do not. its very punishable though.

just play it like any normal match up. just f-tilt more and you'll be good

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
you have never seen or played against a very good lucas I take it?

first off, lucas does not have a poor recovery in anyway. he has one of the best recoveries in the game. he may get hit a couple times ill give you that but he ALWAYS recovers.

lucas' don't spam PK fire, bad ones do but good ones do not. its very punishable though.

just play it like any normal match up. just f-tilt more and you'll be good
Ripple is right, Lucas' recovery is amazing. They don't even use their up-b unless it's their only choice and they don't have any jumps left. They have a few ways of recovering: They can jump and then z-air to the edge (z-edge), at the peak of their jump they can perform a wavebounced down b to shoot them horizontally back toward the stage, and they even have another crazy d-air super jump that can help them recover from incredibly low.

I've played Dire, Ninjalink, and Nasty in the DK vs Lucas matchup and I can say that you should never really go for grabs unless you get obvious openings. Shield grabs are a no brainer, but if you can read their landings pivot grabs work. F-tilt works great like Ripple said bc it outranges everything they have except PK fire.

If you get caught in their d-air, you can SDI up if you are quick enough. If not, just be ready to tech the ground so that you don't get caught by the d-tilt lock into *insert choice of smash attack* Also, make sure that the cargo release chain grab is not banned at your respective tournament before you go ahead and be gay =P

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
dude, will, you could have easily beaten koolaid if you knew how to punish those empty hops and stall arrows

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
@ Will... Well said. That MU is, well, not fun. haha.

Also, while i'm in here, i wanted to extend my congrats to you in beating NAKAT (my fellow crew mate) at KTAR 3. I watched the matches, very intense.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
dude, will, you could have easily beaten koolaid if you knew how to punish those empty hops and stall arrows
Lol you're right Ripple. And I hated every time he empty jumped behind my shield and grabbed, it seemed to happen way faster than it actually was. Also, the only set that was uploaded so far was of the set he beat me in winner's at Viva La Smash III. I beat him in losers bracket 2-1 =x

@ Will... Well said. That MU is, well, not fun. haha.

Also, while i'm in here, i wanted to extend my congrats to you in beating NAKAT (my fellow crew mate) at KTAR 3. I watched the matches, very intense.
Thanks man! It was my first time ever playing NAKAT in singles, after having played him in doubles a few times in the past. He was definitely a lot better than I had expected since I have not played very many good foxes in a while. He was very fast and definitely kept me on my toes! Luckily DK lives forever =P

Edit: Also, here is the next set of videos Bizkit uploaded from Viva La Smash III:

Winners bracket: Koolaid (Pit) vs Will (DK)

Loser's Semifinals: Koolaid (Pit) vs Will (DK)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
not really a recent example or a very good one at that but take a look at my last stock at all those trades/reads at the beginning. just shield for a sec then up tilt or d-smash since that hits frame 8 at the earliest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yX-Uz0qrc

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
not really a recent example or a very good one at that but take a look at my last stock at all those trades/reads at the beginning. just shield for a sec then up tilt or d-smash since that hits frame 8 at the earliest

D-smashing at the right time is definitely something I know I need work on. The only time I remember to d-smash out of shield is when I powershield lol. But yeah, d-smash out of shield is really ****. I prob use up tilt too much in that situation =x

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
D-smashing at the right time is definitely something I know I need work on. The only time I remember to d-smash out of shield is when I powershield lol. But yeah, d-smash out of shield is really ****. I prob use up tilt too much in that situation =x
*Bow*

Will <3

I'm seriously going to bow when I meet you in person.

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman

where were your shorthops that match, seems like i didnt even see any, but you did pick it up at the end real nice(considering lain is good)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
where were your shorthops that match, seems like i didnt even see any, but you did pick it up at the end real nice(considering lain is good)
I have off and on games. this was more off than on. plus it was a year ago

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
I have off and on games. this was more off than on. plus it was a year ago
well, i wouldnt talk, im not good at all, but you seem to hold DK down pretty good, nice **** though. im trying myself to pick him up. i watched the rest of those finals by you and lain, and its good ****. those ics are *******s imo(even though i main them)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
well, i wouldnt talk, im not good at all, but you seem to hold DK down pretty good, nice **** though. im trying myself to pick him up. i watched the rest of those finals by you and lain, and its good ****. those ics are *******s imo(even though i main them)
I can only play a few match ups totally correct. ICs being one of them.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I can only play a few match ups totally correct. ICs being one of them.
I'm getting WAY better at the Kirby match-up with my DK. I've never played another Peach, but I think I know exactly how the match-up would go anyway.

Pikachu can be an issue at times.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
i think most DK's just need a basic guide* on how to play specific matchups, im still waiting for Will
to finish his post in the matchup thread :D i hope he hasnt forgotten about it

only matchup i think im playing kinda decent is Wario, since its the only one i play O.o ow, and Rob i guess

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
i think most DK's just need a basic guide* on how to play specific matchups, im still waiting for
Will to finish his post in the matchup thread :D i hope he hasnt forgotten about it

only matchup i think im playing kinda decent is Wario, since its the only one i play O.o ow, and Rob i guess
Yes, true.

I honestly think DK can really handle Meta really well. We can still knock him out of Nado and we out range him in the Air with our Bair.

I know his speed and ability to gimp is the giant issue, but it's definitely not as hard as people make it seem.

Btw use Seagreen. It's the one on the 4th row 3rd up.

Will. <3

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Yes, true.

I honestly think DK can really handle Meta really well. We can still knock him out of Nado and we out range him in the Air with our Bair.

I know his speed and ability to gimp is the giant issue, but it's definitely not as hard as people make it seem.

Btw use Seagreen. It's the one on the 4th row 3rd up.

Will. <3
****it, wrong colour XD will edit...

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Will, we must worship.

GAWD, Ground Pound is SOO EFFING AWESOME.
only against characters that dont have a "tendency to jump alot" like marth, mk, wario, etc...
and wtf, why do all the people i play friggin SPOTDODGE THE WHOLE THING AND GRAB ME AARGH, i mean, how the hell do you time that? O.o

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
only against characters that dont have a "tendency to jump alot" like marth, mk, wario, etc...
and wtf, why do all the people i play friggin SPOTDODGE THE WHOLE THING AND GRAB ME AARGH, i mean, how the hell do you time that? O.o
Honestly I think it's luck.

Ground Pound is awesome.

And we have our magnificent Bair to knock the jumpers out of the sky. :)

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
problem is you have lag untill the apocalypse before you can bair, and they tend do it 2 or 3 times a match
Lmfao, so true.

All we have to work on is what to do and what not to do in the match.

That's why we have all of our Mix-ups. :)

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
to pound or not to pound, that is the question...
to stomp or not to stomp, that is also the question...
to punch or not to punch, that's no question, hell, just do it =3

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
to pound or not to pound, that is the question...
to stomp or not to stomp, that is also the question...
to punch or not to punch, that's no question, hell, just do it =3
Lulzville.

To charge punch once in the air from a short hop canceling it with Z then using it to bait for a Bair, or not to charge punch once in the air from a short hop canceling it with Z then using it to bait for a Bair.

Now that's a question.

Top Bottom