• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky's Lab: Video & Kritique Thread

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, oops. Looks like I've been slacking off. I'm gonna blame it on my new job and a bunch of Battlecruisers, Thors, Siege Tanks, and Motherships. Got it updated now though. Haha, sorry about that guys.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know if Will and Cable Apex Matches were recorded?

Cable

Smash Lord
Awesome i ddnt kno they recorded it!

Brood is amazing that was 3rd game. First match I beat him on Smashville then he took me to BF and beat me there and last game was on YI and i lost.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
I think that DK has serious problems against Olimar. Olimar raises DK's percent easily coz Dk has not an easy way to take off pikmins from him.
Thx for the video.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I think DK vs Olimar is definitely in Olimar's favor, but if you ever grab him he should really lose a stock. I agree, its very difficult to get the pikmin off sometimes. I find that the best way to do so is usually up air since it covers most of DK's body, or b-air if they are on the back of him.

I wish I knew which Wii my 2 money match sets vs Pyronic Star from Apex 2 were saved to. I'll work on trying to find those vids.

In the mean time I'm posting some money match sets of me from Apex 2:

Will (DK) vs Jerm (Toon Link) 1
Will (DK) vs Jerm (Toon Link) 2
Will (DK) vs Jerm (Toon Link) 3

Will (DK) vs M@v (Falco) 1
Will (DK) vs M@v (Falco) 2

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
If the Falco is not timing the CG right, we can break out of it with Upb. That Falco was doing the CG slow, and you could have broken out. Since you were on BF you would have had a save landing on a platform.
Hmm, I didn't notice he was doing it wrong lol. Thanks, I'll look out out for that. I don't really mind taking the CG, and it's my fault for getting grabbed in the first place so I deserve it. I like to just be prepared for what they try to do as a follow up at the end of the cg. Most of the time I am buffering up-b the entire time though just in case. I may not have done so here just to get in his head a little =P

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Man Will, you brutalized the Falco first match. What's your mindset when you play Falco? What should you do against him?

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Man Will, you brutalized the Falco first match. What's your mindset when you play Falco? What should you do against him?
In the beginning I always focus on charging a punch because in the case that you think you will get grabbed and CG-ed, the few lasers you take in this process won't matter much lol. You can also choose the strategy of taking about 30% in lasers so as to avoid taking a full CG to the edge and the inevitable d-air that has a chance of doing you in if you don't SDI properly (I SDI on both sticks up and away to avoid follow-up d-airs or footstools).

Battlefield is ideal for me in this matchup because of all the utility DK gets out of the platform. At low percents I just platform camp and bait falco into the air (punishing with drop through b-airs). If they are smart though they will short hop n-airs and shield poke at most.

Always powershield lasers whenever possible, practice this and get good at it! I find that walking toward Falco and powershielding is optimal since you have the most options out of walking as opposed to running. (Running powershielding is also harder and the shield takes longer to come out) After you power shield up close to him, you can tilt if you are in range. Jabs however work exceptionally well in this case since the second hit can hit him out of the air, and either one can intercept him out of his side b.

Note: Angling your shield forward while attempting to powershield seems to make it a lot easier and prevents most shieldpoking from the lasers. Shield angling with DK is actually really crucial since his shield sucks so much, with the most applicable situations being angling shields up against tornado, and angling your shield down when on platforms and being poked from underneath.

When you have his laser pattern down, you can grounded up b super armor through it (grounded up b has SA from on frames 10-16 so learn to time it). However, be sure to catch Falco before he hits the ground because if he reads this and starts jabbing, you will have super armored the laser but will start eating jabs =/

After getting in, you should know what to do from there. Grab happy Falco's like to roll behind you, so make use of down b to punish both rolls and spot dodge habits. The point of this matchup is to try to keep Falco in the air as much as possible without eating d-airs. So bait/read airdodges, juggle with b-air/up airs, and punch laggy landings/openings. I've heard word that DK's down smash beats Falco's side b lol. So do that too =P

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Will, if you can be so kind to leave your input on the olimar matchup in the export that would be great.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Even though Cable isn't here I'll critique the pro for other DK players to learn from. These are "mistakes" I saw in game 1.
:25 SDI Away. A good falco will dodge your attempt at uair, or anything else.
1:06 I stand corrected, but seriously @ low percents DI away.
1:46 A well timed grounded upb on a sh projectile can get SA and hit them in mid-air.
2:22 Now with my idea if you did a dthrow low enough, he would of gotten gimped by edge drop upbs. I hate CSS.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Mr. R is like the greatest Marth outside of America you got to remember that.

Cable

Smash Lord
My match against SK92 first game I believe I played pretty well there some attacks that I could of switched up though I shouldn't have used U-Smash like that and also F-smash the cargo grab I performed it too slow which ended up making me lose a quick stock. Overall I played pretty patience and lost moments I could of had a gimp but its alright.

2nd game on Delfino I played good my decisions were good and patient thankfully I CP delfino which gave me the edge against Falco. My perfect shielding game was on top i guess I ddnt purposly go in the match trying to clock him out I was just patient avoiding the lasers the whole match to get a good opening.

3rd game on SV I began to get nervous and started rushing too much. I kept running trying to grab which is horrible Falco spot dodge is too fast nd his lasers and jabs shut me down. In order to get in Falco more easier I should Up-B more when he's shooting lasers deal more damage. But yea Falco does win that MU pretty good but DK still has a chance if hes careful.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
GFs of a recent tourney (mr r vs me), I tried out DK in the 2nd set of GFs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QdBcRZSXZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiBCVEGwu5U

:\
I have to errors to remark on your battles against MR R.
First one is that when u come down from the air, u don't have to land near marth, he will grab u really easy, the best option is to go to out of the stage of land far from him.
Second one is that BF is best marth's stage, he is really easy to juggling there to him, i always prefer to Cp Yoshi's, lylat of FD.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I have to errors to remark on your battles against MR R.
First one is that when u come down from the air, u don't have to land near marth, he will grab u really easy, the best option is to go to out of the stage of land far from him.
Second one is that BF is best marth's stage, he is really easy to juggling there to him, i always prefer to Cp Yoshi's, lylat of FD.
But I always want to be either really near Marth or totally out of his reach, because I don't want to get tippered...

BF worked alright, I should've just not spammed dsmash at the end and get spiked... >_<
I don't really feel comfortable with YI (well, actually almost any CP stage lol), maybe it would've been better, dunno. :\

Seton

Smash Apprentice
But I always want to be either really near Marth or totally out of his reach, because I don't want to get tippered...

BF worked alright, I should've just not spammed dsmash at the end and get spiked... >_<
I don't really feel comfortable with YI (well, actually almost any CP stage lol), maybe it would've been better, dunno. :\
Don't be afraid of being tippered, Tipper cannot kill Dk until high %. And what i mean is to land grabing the edge or just out of the stage and then, grabing the edge. I had some problems against marths last year and that rule (not to land near marth) help me to get better with that MU. Anyways, Dk vs Marth is always a nice and funny Match, coz it's really even.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
Nice work Yooy. U almost beat Leon! He's with Mr R one of the greatest Marths in Europe. Excelent matches.

YooY

Smash Cadet
Thanks Seton :) I'm sure now that DK-Marth is 50-50 or something like that.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Really nice matches YooY!

You should've used upB to get away from the side on delfino, and you should start using the reverse charge if you got hit away from the stage so you can fight your opponent with your bair instead of like... nothing.

Do you have full results of that tourney, or top 8 or something? How big was it?

YooY

Smash Cadet
That was a very little tourney nothing comparately brawl in berlin :D and no i don't have the bracket maybe later i'll ask the hoster.
Thanks for the advices. i think it works with side b too :)

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Also Yooy, you dont have to always land right beside marth, you ate quite a bit of fsmashes cause of that. Also, Marths like to bait landing airdodges, which he did a lot, if he keeps doing that, punch him while you land

Also, if marth comes offstage to pressure to while you are recovering, recover high if you can, especially if there are platforms to land on, like on BF or delfino.

Other than that great matches.

Top Bottom