• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Copy Ability Tricks and Tactics

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
I got a 0-death combo on Falcon the other day. It was either 1. inescapable or 2. very nearly inescapable because it was done on Port Town Aero Dive (which, yes, is a legal counterpick in some places.)

(Inhale) and then Fthrow, uair, reverse utilt, Fair, Falcon Punch that hit him as he tried to get back onto the stage with Falcon Dive.

It was extremely sexy.
It may be escape able offline though. Still, air Hammer is not escapable.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ah, but hitting with a ground hammer is so satisfying....

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
My favorite ability to get is ROB's laser. Not only is it hilarious, but its extremely useful lol. I follow-up with it after almost every move.

I also have been working on a few tricks with Snake's nades. I've found that I can mindgame or even combo with nades by tossing it after an aerial. The best way to do this is the Z-release trick then catch with an aerial instantly after. If the aerial whiffs, they probably won't expect a grenade in their face afterwards. If the aerial hits, they probably won't expect a grenade in their face afterwards...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Whew, I haven't been online for *GASP* almost a whole day! I have so much to respond to!

Gangsta Kirby:

._. then dont, videos speak louder than text.....

im going to make a video guide for how to use every characters powers with kirby in ways that are effective... expect it in a week or two

make videos that prove me wrong...
Here are the problems:

-Not all of us have recording equipment.
-You can make videos of things working, but it does not mean they would work against good players. Case in point: You can show yourself gimping ICs with Ice Blocks, but a good IC player won't have that happen. On top of that, Dair will always be a better gimping tool against them, as will inhale and just about every other move you have.
You could also show yourself edgeguarding a G&W with the pan, but a good G&W will utilize their invul frames from their UpB or bucket it as they get close.

On top of that, regardless of mindgames, some of the information you gave is just plain wrong. For example: Ganon's WP reaches farther than Kirby's by a longshot, though it is higher off the ground and can be crouched. Oli spams better since he can do it in the air and his pikmin actually stick around to hump your face, which in turn forces you to stop spamming or eat lots of unnecessary %s. Lucas and Ness have absolutely no trouble with the PK copy moves, especially Lucas who can magnet pull to recover and heal at the same time.

I think I've made my point.

Almost every power that is worth taking can be punished with a D-air.

And, your putting a neutral B-move as a Game Changing Tactic that will win you the ****ing Game. Plz stop it with the Mindgame talk. I'm doubtful of you even knowing what it means. Taking a B-move does not in any way change the match up in a way that you could win it in an otherwise loose able situation.

But not everyone knows they can, not to mention starshotting a few times can mix them up on what to do (for yes, getting multiple inhales is very doable in a high level game if you know when to use it.).

Also, some powers do change the matchups to a certain extent. I can't think of anything gamebreaking, but taking Pika's power definitely switches the matchup from 50-50 to something in Kirby's favor.

As for useless powers.... ehhhh... Everything has a use, that shouldn't be in question. The real question is wether or not it's usable enough to be worth taking or worth replacing inhale for. Some moves, like the Warlock Punch, are so situational they aren't worth taking (the only real use being in the event of a shieldbreak, and how often do those occur?).
Also, in a lot of cases, Inhale works a lot better than the opponent's B move does.

...I think I lost track of which power we were discussing now...

EDIT: Asdioh, that's not fair. It looks like Lou didn't know he could bucket Kirby's sausages. However, one plus to this was that in certain parts of the stage, it was very hard to see you, and even harder to see your hitboxes, especially when you Baired. This power might be useful on certain stages (like Lylat) for this reason.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
Whew, I haven't been online for *GASP* almost a whole day! I have so much to respond to!

Gangsta Kirby:

Here are the problems:

-Not all of us have recording equipment.
-You can make videos of things working, but it does not mean they would work against good players. Case in point: You can show yourself gimping ICs with Ice Blocks, but a good IC player won't have that happen. On top of that, Dair will always be a better gimping tool against them, as will inhale and just about every other move you have.
You could also show yourself edgeguarding a G&W with the pan, but a good G&W will utilize their invul frames from their UpB or bucket it as they get close.

On top of that, regardless of mindgames, some of the information you gave is just plain wrong. For example: Ganon's WP reaches farther than Kirby's by a longshot, though it is higher off the ground and can be crouched. Oli spams better since he can do it in the air and his pikmin actually stick around to hump your face, which in turn forces you to stop spamming or eat lots of unnecessary %s. Lucas and Ness have absolutely no trouble with the PK copy moves, especially Lucas who can magnet pull to recover and heal at the same time.

I think I've made my point.
1 i never said the frying pan was for edgeguarding i said it was for mindgameing, why wud i risk letting him get more upb distance?

2.short hop wp/fp with kirby DOES go farther

3. the main reason kirby does it better is case he doesnt have to stop to get moar pikmen(its ARGUABLE that jumping makes it better however)

4. i said lucas and nesses r 4 ****ing up recoveries

5. the gimp that Asdioh describes works consistantly and most ic's EXPECT to get dair'd so its a good change up

6. its not like the bucket is hard to predict or dodge/perfect shield

7. i dont have any scrubs on my wifi list

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
1 i never said the frying pan was for edgeguarding i said it was for mindgameing, why wud i risk letting him get more upb distance?

2.short hop wp/fp with kirby DOES go farther

3. the main reason kirby does it better is case he doesnt have to stop to get moar pikmen(its ARGUABLE that jumping makes it better however)

4. i said lucas and nesses r 4 ****ing up recoveries

5. the gimp that Asdioh describes works consistantly and most ic's EXPECT to get dair'd so its a good change up

7. i dont have any scrubs on my wifi list
there is no power not worth taking, they may have disadavantages but it gives more attack options than inhale does, EVERYTHING is better than inhale.

ICs: its great for gimping, ic's recovery is poor to begin with

falco: triple SH laser to falcos double

wolf: counterspam/combo out/into the bayonette

GaW: edgeguard gimping, or jab cancel into frying pan burn

Diddy: like marios its good for combo extension

Falcon/Ganon: kirby can mindgame this very well, also it may not seem like it but kirbys reaches farther

Oli: kirby can spam oli harder becuase kirby basically has infinity pikmen

lucas/ness: really screws with their recovery options, they have to go lower putting them at a disadvantage consider pk thunderis easily messed up

Marth: his sword has the exact same reach as marths and its good for recovery

MK: kirbys tornado is faster and theres less end lag

link/TL: kirby shoots the arrows slightly faster, short hop arrows and counter spam

will post more later still thinking/testing/expirementing

1) See the accentuated part of your previous quote.

2) My mistake, I thought you meant the hitbox was bigger. Still... Inhale has a better hitbox than both...

3) Well, that's part of it, but my main problem with it is that they do a few %s then die, rather than stick like Oli's, meaning if he hits you with one, you have to stop spamming to swat it off whereas he doesn't.

4) I know. Go into the Ness/Lucas forums and look at how they recover. Ness should have little problem, and this actually helps Lucas, since magnet pulling is one of his recovery methods.

5) I don't see him talking about a way to IB gimp ICs... are we talking about the same thing?
Edit: Nevermind. You mean the one marked as very hard to do and very situational? How is this better than just inhaling Nana and starshotting her farther away?

6) Ummm... We are talking about G&W's bucket right? Do you know a god**** thing about G&W? His bucket comes out on frame 1 (I forget if the hitbox comes out then or on frames 2-3... In any case it's fast), and most G&W's will try to hit it out of your Dthrow tech so that you CAN'T avoid it.

7) I don't remember even mentioning that, but the fact that you're talking about Wifi might be what is causing this confusion. A lot of things that work on Wifi won't work offline.

We seriously need to get back on topic... RK, next power please?

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
1) See the accentuated part of your previous quote.

2) My mistake, I thought you meant the hitbox was bigger. Still... Inhale has a better hitbox than both...

3) Well, that's part of it, but my main problem with it is that they do a few %s then die, rather than stick like Oli's, meaning if he hits you with one, you have to stop spamming to swat it off whereas he doesn't.

4) I know. Go into the Ness/Lucas forums and look at how they recover. Ness should have little problem, and this actually helps Lucas, since magnet pulling is one of his recovery methods.

5) I don't see him talking about a way to IB gimp ICs... are we talking about the same thing?
Edit: Nevermind. You mean the one marked as very hard to do and very situational? How is this better than just inhaling Nana and starshotting her farther away?

6) Ummm... We are talking about G&W's bucket right? Do you know a god**** thing about G&W? His bucket comes out on frame 1 (I forget if the hitbox comes out then or on frames 2-3... In any case it's fast), and most G&W's will try to hit it out of your Dthrow tech so that you CAN'T avoid it.

7) I don't remember even mentioning that, but the fact that you're talking about Wifi might be what is causing this confusion. A lot of things that work on Wifi won't work offline.

We seriously need to get back on topic... RK, next power please?
1. ._. oops XD

2. -

3.yes but only so many can stick to you for so long

4. not when their low enough, which is how they often recover LOW

5. that particular starshot risks getting upb'd which is pretty hard hitting

6. its possible to perfect shield on frame 1 and teching dthrow against GW isnt as good as an option as the invincibilty framed rise attack (wen u get up from being on the ground) wen u KNOW his bucket is full but when its not then yeah tech it

7. i usually have the blue wifi ball ._. so its near lagless shudnt really make too big a diff maybe a frame or 2 but thats it which i can see for some of these things but not all being not as effective as offline

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
3) Yes, but they do a LOT of damage. Are you willing to take 30-60% just to keep throwing pikmin?

4) But the magnet/freeze won't go under the stage since it explodes at your height after doing an arc, so they can just use ledge invul to avoid it in that situation.

5) But in the proposed situation in which IB could theoretically gimp, Nana is far from Popo, meaning even if he does manage to recall her with UpB, you are nowhere near Popo and can't be punished.

6) Allow me to read your post back to you:
This is not the same as "It can be shielded". Yes, it can. However, it is difficult to do, and most of the time it shall be used at a time when they know they are probably going to hit. Getup invul is nice, but it takes more than 1 frame for the bouncing animation from the Dthrow to end, allowing you to get up, and since they are bound to wait for you to tech, if they don't see you tech, they'll probably wait for the next opportunity (not always, but my point is they aren't going to randomly shoot it to your right if you didn't tech there.).

7) Wifi has input lag (which is part of why Sonic is harder to face on Wifi). On top of that, the lag on your end is not always the same as the lag on their end.

Seriously though, can we please discuss an actual power now? (Like Pika's... that's a VERY useful one after all.)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
March 06, 2009 - G&W Kirby Added
- Stupid G&W Mistake edited

Next up is Pikachu's! :p

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Pika's power, is, in my opinion, the most useful 1v1 power to take. My reasons for this are the following:

In the Kirby vs Pika matchup, Pika spam can force Kirby to approach, which puts Kirby at a disadvatange. On top of that, QAC allows Pika to punish the mere act of getting within quick attack range. Both of these problems, however, are negated by taking his power.

With Kirby's power, Kirby can spam 4-5 times more effectively than Pikachu, and since he stays in the air while spamming, he can not be hit by any of Pika's spam, forcing Pika to approach, something many Pika players aren't too comfortable doing. On top of that, the shocks' trajectory is such that it can prevent QAC, since using QA into the ground will almost always result in a shock (oh what a pun!... Yeah... that sucked...).

Now to explain how to properly spam with this power:

First off, you need to do an empty full hop. At the apex of that hop, hit jump and B almost together to make a rising thundershock. Basically, by the time the move ends, you will have lost no vertical height, though you can DI to move horizontally and adjust your aim. Now keep doing this until you're out of jumps/wish to land/Pika's near you.

In doubles, this power is much less useful, for while the spam is just as effective, it's more likely to hit your teammate, and if your teammate is Pika, stop their QAC.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hm, no discussion? I'll have Pikachu's power up in some time. As of now, I've hit upon another genius idea and can't balance them all, lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm going to talk about Snake's power because I feel like it.

I've been practicing with grenades recently because I'm sick of losing to Snakes and I need something to give me an edge.

In the past, I tried grenade drop, let Snake blow up, and then footstool him as he goes flying up and jablock. Except that's nearly impossible to do, and so it's worthless.

Learn the timing of the grenades: very important.

One thing you can do is drop a grenade, stand between it and Snake, and then shield the explosion. It will send you towards Snake, and you can attack him. It might take him by surprise, but it's not exceptionally useful.

What IS exceptionally useful is something basic that you can do with items, but Kirby doesn't have items by default so many Kirby mains probably don't use it.

1. Drop a grenade
2. Pick it up with the A button, and don't let go of A.
3. C-stick right or left, and you'll start charging a forward smash.
4. Let go of A, and you'll release the smash.

It's useful because Snakes probably don't do it often either, because their Fsmash is so laggy. It will most likely take them by surprise, and land you a KO if their % is high enough.

If your Fsmash gets shielded, the grenade will explode shortly after. So Snake might not want to punish you because he doesn't want to get blown up..or if he DOES punish you, you will both get blown up.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
As the pot explains, this allows you to do a smash while holding an item, which catches people offguard and, in this case, allows you to avoid punishment due to the grenade's explosion.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Pikachu and Snake have the best abilities in my opinion. You can't really use the tornado against MK, so yeah.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Agreed! (though Bullet Seed and BEEP! get honorable mentions IMO.)

Also, neither of those two are quite as good in teams, sadly.
Actually, inhale seems better than most powers in team matches...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Inhale IS useful in team matches. Inhale your falling opponent, Swallow to give them a boost back to stage. More importantly, I find it EXTREMELY easy to pull off Kirbycides in doubles, as opposed to singles.

Yeah gangstakirby, I dunno if I made it clear: You can Fsmash with the C-stick while holding an item, if you don't let go of the A button. Hitting the C-stick left or right causes you to charge Fsmash: letting go of A releases the smash. Extremely useful for Kirby imo.

I don't really understand why Bullet Seed is so good, I find it punishable if missed, and easy to DI out of (for me as Kirby, anyway, I suppose Charizard and Ivysaur would have a harder time...I still prefer Flamethrower)

And here are reasons I would take Kirbynado over Inhale:

1. Metaknight ***** Inhale anyway (he can ftilt through it, lolol)
2. Kirbynado has the potential to make recovering SO much easier if you use it wisely
3. ... that's about it. I'd take it in a 1v1, especially since Kirby looks more intimidating than MK with his mask.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
....but Kirbynado is outprioritized by any move that outranges it.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
i love taking snakes grenades, kirby's ability to move through the air makes them amazing.

nade camping: same methods as snake himself. you can drop them and pick them up to cook and throw. the added bonus of course is that you can adjust the distance for accurate throws very well with kirby's aerial mobility and multiple jumps. when you're opponent gets too close you can simply jump up and throw the grenades downward. from the air you can drop grenades in relative safety until you need to land, and even then you can easily make it to the edge and recover all your jumps. plus you can do suicide bombings by pulling out the nade when you can tell you're about to get hit.

approaching: cooked grenade thrown out of a sh aids an aerial approach nicely. it forces them to deal with the projectile and explosion and allows you to react with your approach accordingly. if you don't like how they work around it you're always free to drop back and pull out another nade and try again.

juggling/gimping: since you can cook and throw nades in any cardinal direction, (as opposed to lasers, bolts, and fireballs) you can use them then you're trying to juggle an opponent or gimp them. when the enemy is high above you, grab a nade and chuck it up at them, then go up after it. if you're timing is good the nade will explode in their vicinity, forcing them to double jump or airdodge. this limits their options for coming back down as they'll either be open after the airdodge to your uair or not have a jump in case they want to stall for a bit as you apply pressure from below. other abuses include throwing the nade in the direction they are headed to get them to change headings, leaving the nade on the ground close to where they will land to restrict movement options afterwards, or just throwing them up constantly to annoy the opponent. off stage, kirby can jump out and throw the nade for a gimp attempt. once again his aerial mobility lets him adjust for height and distance, plus his ability to go offstage means you can follow up the nade with hammer, fair, uair, turn around bair, go for fcs, dair, whatever seems right or makes you hard. this stuff is great because snake is already prone to being juggles and edgeguarded, taking his grenades gives you another GREAT tool to exploit his weaknesses.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
....but Kirbynado is outprioritized by any move that outranges it.
Which is, I believe, MK's entire moveset...

Asdioh, you can use inhale to punish a MK's bad spacing. You have to be careful if you miss though, because being Ftilted is nowhere as bad as being Fsmashed or SLed (both can punish a missed inhale). Hence, I only ever use aerial inhale in this matchup for spacing punishment, and even then, less than in most matchups.

Great post GPE.

The only annoying thing about Snake's grenades is that a shielddropped grenade drops behind you, but meh, that's really the only downside I see, and it's not much of one.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Guys, I just found something out.

I was on the mk boards because I'm thinking of secondarying him My computer randomly went to the mk boards, and I found this:

Tornado's Hitbox

The red area represents the hitbox

As you can see from the diagram, (pardon the bad artwork) Metaknight is completely vulnerable from above. I've tested, and every single character's D-air can knock Metaknight from above! With Wolf, Ness, Snake, Ike, Diddy, Ivy, and Charzard, it's better to use their N-air instead. Special moves that go downward can also be used in this fashion.
No longer fear the whorenado!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ummm... yeah.... you didn't know this?

The thing is, a good MK will actually move the tornado so that you hit the top sides of it, therefore not getting through.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ummm duh

The problem is being in the right place at the right time...which is pretty **** hard considering MK can do whatever he likes in this matchup, and you have to adjust to him.

I've Daired and Naired Tornadoes before. I think I've even Baired one once, by luck.

I've beaten it with Final Cutter...maybe >_>

At least, the projectile part usually beats it, and I'm sure the disjointed part can too if you're in the right spot, but it's so slow...

I've hit Tornadoes with my Stone before, and I've seen it do absolutely NOTHING. So lame.

Why must Kirbynado suck so much? -_-

This game is too lame sometimes...

Anyway yeah, Snake's grenades can explode and stuff. Watch videos of Ally's Snake and see how he combos with explosions (he uses aerials sooo much, even though people claimed Snake's aerials aren't good...)

Kirby can do it too. Learn to predict his trajectory if he gets hit by an explosion, and combo him accordingly. It's satisfying.
Probably more satisfying for Snake when he does it because Kirby can actually die at a reasonable percent, unlike him.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i'm wondering whether kirby could actually pick up a momentum canceling ability with the neutral b.

i 2nd pikachu and, more relevantly, gaw, and they both have momentum canceling 'b' moves that significantly boost their survival rates. (pika's = uair > skullbash, gaw = nair > bucketbrakes)

i don't know of any neutral b moves that stop momentum like those, but maybe one hasn't been looked into yet?

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I might have to give copying G&W another shot. I used to use it as a sort of counter move like Ike's Eruption. I completely forgot you can use it to edge guard. : /

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ok, I don't actually have the time to get the Pikachu paragraph up today, so just spam my PM box on Saturday. I have stuff to test on Friday.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
ah hah caught ya RK! what was that on using AS against us? lol XD anyway you actually made a good thread, do the others know?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I try lol :p

They're all really basic things that a lot of people don't remember. And the last time I bumped up a thread, someone was all like "Gasp, a useful thread" so I'm remedying that. I already started the Pikachu paragraph. I gotta finish it.

Besides, pretty much all of my threads are good ideas.

That much is true, lol.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
1) No, I mean I bumped the Crouch Avoid List, and after that comment I realized the Kirby boards didn't have much useful topics. The comment wasn't directed towards me. I keep making topics because I keep getting ideas.

2) And if you read it, you'd see I said I don't use Double Team much, and I know it's not that great, I was just making a point saying it could be used. Sorry Kirbies, I have to do chores...

|RK|

Smash Marketer
March 21, 2009 - Pikachu Added

Sorry this one took so long. But when I said it would be irregularly updated, I meant it, lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i'm wondering whether kirby could actually pick up a momentum canceling ability with the neutral b.

i 2nd pikachu and, more relevantly, gaw, and they both have momentum canceling 'b' moves that significantly boost their survival rates. (pika's = uair > skullbash, gaw = nair > bucketbrakes)

i don't know of any neutral b moves that stop momentum like those, but maybe one hasn't been looked into yet?
hmm..does Pikachu's Skullbash really help him survive? I read in the MASSIVE thread on DI in the Brawl Tactical Discussion (go read it if you haven't) that using a B move will actually hurt you, rather than help you. Obviously, this isn't the case for G&W's Bucket, but I dunno... :\

I might have to give copying G&W another shot. I used to use it as a sort of counter move like Ike's Eruption. I completely forgot you can use it to edge guard. : /
You can use it to control your opponent's actions, so yes, it's useful.

Of course, it can fill up his Bucket, which can kill you at ridiculous percents, but at least it takes away his bucket braking lololol

Seriously though. Each projectile from Chef does like 4-5% damage, and it can be a pain for him to maneuver around...plus, G&W Kirby looks amazing.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
And you can use it really fast, however the problem is the lag. And the punishment that will ensue if they're close enough...

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
DUDE, you should have put one in for olimar's pikmin!!!!

They are very annoying and even gimp olimar, sometimes u can outcamp olimar just because the fact of the lag, if u get the first hit olimar has a hard time out camping you.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No offense, but really, what DOESN'T gimp Olimar? The general problem is getting to him and giving him enough damage.

Top Bottom