• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Copy Ability Tricks and Tactics

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
hey, since DDD has an auto-starshot trait...

I've seen DDDs inhale you, then when you break out, they immediately utilt you so it's a 100% KO move for them. Keep that in mind next time a DDD inhales you, just stay still and let the inhale time out!

kthx. :)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I was wondering why you always made threads in other character boards.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I've still yet to see a way to reliably swallow at high percentages...

EDIT: I just found something that worked! It's not INSANELY reliable, but it's a good mind game to get a swallow! I was doing it on wifi and landed it most of the time, so it's probably a little less reliable in person.

STONE.

Opponent approaches with attack/grab.

get out of stone earlier than they would expect, and inhale. It'll usually beat most attacks they try to use, and will always beat the grab as long as you're facing the right way!

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
"In team battles, if you are Inhaling and someone is trapped in the vortex, and another person hits you, both you and the enemy fall through the stage"

Any video to proof this? Is this easy to do? (I don't have my Wii yet, so I can't test myself).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm pretty sure that inhale glitch only happens to D3, since we have invul. on ours when that happens instead.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
What does "vortex" exactly means? I tried to take a guy in my mouth with DDD's hat, and someone hit me, but nothing happened.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
I guess you did a bad job.
What should I (or rather my partner, who try this for me becauseI can t play) then?

That s also why I asked the meaning of "Vortex"... (I also add I m french, so if I could have a clear explannation, it should be nice :3).

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
What should I (or rather my partner, who try this for me becauseI can t play) then?

That s also why I asked the meaning of "Vortex"... (I also add I m french, so if I could have a clear explannation, it should be nice :3).
Look at the words I bolded in the quote of that post.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Look at the words I bolded in the quote of that post.
Fail troll is fail. :lick:

Reliable ways to copy...? The only reliable way to get an inhale is when your opponent is recovering from very low and is going straight up, then you jump off and inhale where he's going to travel.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Well, not "reliable", but you can punish with it. And if it's an ability Kirby can use better than the guy he copies, it keeps on punishing.

...Okay, that was pretty bad. :rolleyes:

And I remember someone talking a while back about throwing it in after the u-air of the Gonzo Combo.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Reliable ways to copy...? The only reliable way to get an inhale is when your opponent is recovering from very low and is going straight up, then you jump off and inhale where he's going to travel.
Using Inhale as an edgeguard is actually effective against predictable recoveries and recoveries that don't out prioritize inhale. It's really the only way to get an inahle off at high %'s. At lower %'s, I just throw out an inhale randomly. So far, it's the only reliable way to get off an inhale for me >.>.

Oh and since there notable characters to inhale, why not focus on them? I doubt that the same "reliable" inhale methods work on every character.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to keep this thread active >.>. Though I do lack Brawl for the time being...

Oh and PT's powers are pretty useful :/.

Watergun can help gimp Ivysaur and Charizard (the latter needs to be nearly out of jumps), Bullsh*t Seed can help rack up damage on all of the pokes (and get them out of the air a few times) and Flamethrower is one of the best moves Kirby can use to either edgeguard, rack up damage or get someone out of his face.

On the topic of getting inhales off reliably, I'm surprised that no one mentioned to use it to punish laggy attacks. Also, if Kirby can use Inhale oos, that would be pretty nice, too.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No one mentioned punishing laggy attacks because we have better punishing moves.

However, against D3, we can reliably inhale him out of his UpB and his inhale.

Also, Dthrow>Inhale works on characters who are likely to airdodge to the ground. Of course, if you don't want their power, then Fsmash, Usmash, or even grounded hammer make better punishers for that.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Or another Dthrow.

Discussion's going kinda slow...maybe we should start talking about another ability?

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
[THREAD=DFat2]The best way to get an Inhale/Copy is on a Shielding opponent. Short Hop and Fast Fall Inhale in front of them as close as possible. If they Try to Roll/ShieldGrab/SpotDodge they'll get inhaled.

[/THREAD]

Isn't it better to Dair> FS? A Gimp is better than a Hat.

Inhaling out side of the stage is kinda silly, since you can Bair/Fair to keep them outside of the stage and Dair to Gimp them. The only time I use inhale out side of the stage is when facing Metaknight. Inhale > (Air) Shuttle Loop.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Inhaling out side of the stage is kinda silly, since you can Bair/Fair to keep them outside of the stage and Dair to Gimp them. The only time I use inhale out side of the stage is when facing Metaknight. Inhale > (Air) Shuttle Loop.
And against Sonic/D3/Snake's recovery!
Well, D3 gets his triple jump back, but no jumps, so you can just keep starshotting him and inhaling, or walk off after a few seconds, let him break out and laugh.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hrm. Seems that on average I update this once a month. I'll try to get Bowser up soon. But I should do a bit of testing first.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
July 12, 2009 - Bowser Kirby added

My. The most annoying to do will most likely be Falco, due to the amazing amount of techniques you can do with his laser. So Falco isn't next :p. Although I may accept stand-ins to write about a character or so. Use you own style or whatever, just don't bore people to death and don't make it too long. Maybe. Ah, well, if anyone want to do a specific character... *is lazy*

But hey, I reached my monthly deadline, so that's always a plus. Tell me what you think about today's "article"! Don't be shy, I accept your criticism and enjoy your critique.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
July 15, 2009 - Toon Link Kirby added

Yeah so that was quick. I hope it's good. I REALLY would love critique, on anything pertaining to the guide. One of the worst things is you guys not telling me what I should fix and I'm just boring you to death, or my information is horribly inaccurate.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
You kinda forgot how Toon Link can d-air you after you copy him. I guess the good news is that TL has trouble killing.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You kinda forgot how Toon Link can d-air you after you copy him. I guess the good news is that TL has trouble killing.
It depends on how long you hold him in Kirby's mouth, and how fast the person knows how to break out of it. Plus Kirby can just shield his D-Air like he can shield Lucario's D-Air and Mr. Game & Watch's D-Air, (or Side-B).

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I just found out that when you inhale and copy's Metaknight's tornado and use it as Kirby, it has a wind effect. While MK's tornado does not have that effect. It may be smaller, but it still has it's uses vs MK.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Shuffle Loop out of shield will work if you don't abort properly when Kirby's tornado runs out. Escaping from the front will automatically make him able to perform his Up-B, escaping from the back is the proper way, of course don't get too close.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Ok i just discovered something kinda situational with toon link's power leading into a jab lock! Like i said, it's situational though.

Basically it goes like this, have toon link right next to you and short hop bair him and don't fast fall it, then do a reversed quickdraw so the arrow goes where you hit him. If he doesn't tech his fall from the bair, the arrow will hit him leaving you with some time to run over, shield stop yourself and proceed with a jab lock. From my fooling around in training mode, it seems to work from 30%-60%ish.

I need people to test this out. I was doing it by myself in training mode but having two people try it would probably work better.

Edit: Of course by the time they DI and then I don't know if there is actually enough time to get over there...

feardragon64

Smash Champion
The most useful thing I found tornado'ing was good for with Kirby is it's nice to have one more option for recovering from the ledge since(at least from my experience) it eats through shuttle loop attempts, and other things mk might try. Basically, it'll keep you alive longer. Versus mk I find that's more important than trying to net a lucky kill since you're not likely to get a swallowcide kill or anything.

As for TL's ability, maybe I'm just not good with it but my friend who mains TL ***** me whenever I try and use it. Boomerang + Arrows + Bombs > Arrows + Final Cutter(?). Imo you're better off just finding a way in. TL has trouble killing Kirby anyways, why let him rack up more damage with a potential dair when you get the ability and putting yourself in a disadvantaged projectile fight?

UncleSam

Smash Master
Ok i just discovered something kinda situational with toon link's power leading into a jab lock! Like i said, it's situational though.

Basically it goes like this, have toon link right next to you and short hop bair him and don't fast fall it, then do a reversed quickdraw so the arrow goes where you hit him. If he doesn't tech his fall from the bair, the arrow will hit him leaving you with some time to run over, shield stop yourself and proceed with a jab lock. From my fooling around in training mode, it seems to work from 30%-60%ish.

I need people to test this out. I was doing it by myself in training mode but having two people try it would probably work better.

Edit: Of course by the time they DI and then I don't know if there is actually enough time to get over there...
TL's arrows have jab lock qualities, since our jab can't do that for us.

EDIT: when using marth's copy ability in the air do you get that boost like Marth's do?
Just asking

9Kplus1

Smash Master
The most useful thing I found tornado'ing was good for with Kirby is it's nice to have one more option for recovering from the ledge since(at least from my experience) it eats through shuttle loop attempts, and other things mk might try. Basically, it'll keep you alive longer. Versus mk I find that's more important than trying to net a lucky kill since you're not likely to get a swallowcide kill or anything.
Dsmash, Bair, Fair and Shuttle Loop murder our Nado, so I don't see how it helps us live longer.

when using marth's copy ability in the air do you get that boost like Marth's do?
Just asking
Yeah, any trick, glitch, or AT with a Special that doesn't require another move isn't changed when Kirby gets it. Using Shieldbreaker's boost isn't a good idea btw >.>.

Top Bottom