• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
You realize you're talking about Marvel...right?
I don't even care what I'm talking about!
HA!

All I'm saying is that there is a logical trend saying that:
After a certain point, as Roster Size increases, diversity decreases.

That applies to more than just fighting games too. Its just what happens when human creativity is being stretched too far.
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
So today my wife bought a George Foreman grill. When they checked her bag, they stopped her because the Best Buy employee confused the grill for a PS3. The jokes were true!

S l o X

Smash Champion
i must admit i've been more hyped watching halo 2 4v4s than anything else in life vidjogame wise
Can't wait til the next MLG. I'm just getting into console gaming (and gaming in general, I guess) now and want to get good at some FPS games once I'm able to get Xbox Live.

And although many of my friends don't, I prefer Halo over CoD.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Can't wait til the next MLG. I'm just getting into console gaming (and gaming in general, I guess) now and want to get good at some FPS games once I'm able to get Xbox Live.

And although many of my friends don't, I prefer Halo over CoD.
console gaming communities are wack in comparison to fighting game ones

but halo is a ****-ton deeper than CoD, but thats why CoD is more popular i guess. Just plug it in and play and everyone has fun. Sakurai would be proud.

i'm personally waiting for steam to come to mac so i can play tf2 for a bit

Aesir

Smash Master
Dear Jam;

I like to think of myself as an okay writer, but recently I've been in a writing rut and i tend to dislike most of what I write. To cut to the chase, I'm writing this paper, it's a a research paper on the budget. I'm going to ask you if it is at all possible for you to look at it and tell me if I what I wrote actually makes sense. I'm not worried about substance, I just want to make sure it's okay writing.

Thanks.

-Demetri.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
So an understanding of World War II is not necessary to appreciate Casablanca? I also don't understand how showing The Matrix to Amazonians (that is, showing a movie to a population that has no cultural framework to understand it) is an impossible argument or a strawman.

And do you mean that nothing art related has improved over time ever, or are you using some reference point that you didn't specify?

The original point of my post seems to have gotten lost, so let me reiterate: contextual understanding is crucial to appreciating art. I really don't see how you can suggest otherwise. Cogsmooch, you yourself brought up Japan's history of being a nuclear target as context for explaining Akira's post-apocalyptic world.

Also, I can very much see myself getting behind MvC3. I wasn't that hardcore into MvC2, but it was fun just to button mash and hope for an awesome super.
yarg I wrote up a huge response to this yesterday but crashboards ate it. ****.
but basically yes, multitudes of people every single day watch "classic" films with little to no deeper contextual understanding of their impact and yet enjoy them.
what's weird is that you're saying art can't be separated from context, yet you try and do so to prove that newer films are better than old ones.
and that wasn't your point. your point was that the only reason classic films are respected is because of ancillary context and that newer films are better when judged against them. to which I say, your opinion is highly suspect, sir.
I really wish my original response wasn't lost.

Much of art can transcend context though. Understanding the art in context certainly enhances one's appreciation of it, but especially in cinema, I've come to expect highly regarded classic to more than just stand up to modern works with or without substantial contextual understanding. When I watch Psycho next to modern horror, I don't need to have a sense of Psycho's context to appreciate the elements of horror that it executes better. The problem I had with Akira is that putting it next to Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, I just can't seem to find something that makes me like it as much or better than newer works.

Perhaps part of the issue here is that I'm very casually associated with Anime and much of what determines whether or not I like Anime lies in the artistic style, which in Akira, for one reason or another, just didn't do it for me. So I look for something beyond that to draw me in, but Akira didn't really have much in the way of redeeming qualities amongst the characters or plot to keep me interested. This is a problem I have with Anime in general, and can probably be attributed to the entire genre instead of just Akira. I guess I'm just not that into Anime :p.
it's not helping that you're comparing akira to two of the finest films to ever come out of anime lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
lol, ok, but still, that's the level I expect from something labeled classic by so many the way Akira is. I just think both of those movies had much more engaging characters and story than Akira did on top of the fact that I found their artistic style more fun to look at.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
It's nice to have someone around to clarify my own point to me.

And you didn't answer my question: Is it necessary to have an understanding of World War II to appreciate Casablanca?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I haven't seen Casablanca in awhile so I couldn't really say, but it seems like you're basically cherry-picking films that are highly topical as your examples when there are just as many films like The Wizard of Oz, which is entertaining even if you ignore the depth of subtext.

It seems to me that you're sending two very contradictory messages.

Originally you said that classic films will invariably fall short of "modern classics," and they're regarded as great because they're viewed in context.

Then you started saying that it's impossible to fully appreciate a piece of art unless you understand the context. If you DO actually believe that, you pretty much have to concede that your original argument is impossible to make as I stated awhile ago.

I don't really see how those two viewpoints are compatible and I'm hoping you can explain it to me.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I didn't bring up Casablanca originally, CogSmooch did:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10087133&postcount=76465

but I ran with it because I think it proves my point pretty well.

As to my two statements, they're not incompatible, they go together.

A film can't be appreciated without its context. So if you view an older film without its context, it doesn't stand up well to current films. We're steeped in the current context, whether we realize it or not. We're not necessarily steeped in World War II-era North Africa (Casablanca) or Great Depression/Dustbowl era Kansas (The Wizard of Oz). What I'm saying is that if you do not know those things about those two movies (that is, the context they are set in), then it becomes much more difficult to understand them and compare them favorably to contemporary movies, which we understand by default. I strongly believe that context is necessary to understand art. CogSmooch has said that he does not, and that's where the question about Casablanca comes from.

Mogwai's example was the case study of this: viewing Akira without the context of what made it special in its day reduced it to an average movie in comparison to a modern classic like Spirited Away (if I'm putting words in your mouth Mogwai, please correct me).

EDIT- I should say also that I'm assuming in this conversation that when we use the word "appreciate" or any synonym thereof, we mean more than just "liking" the film. Sure, you can like a film without understanding it. But to "appreciate" it (that is, engage with it on a more intellectual level), I think cotextual understanding is crucial.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I didn't bring up Casablanca originally, CogSmooch did:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10087133&postcount=76465

but I ran with it because I think it proves my point pretty well.

As to my two statements, they're not incompatible, they go together.

A film can't be appreciated without its context. So if you view an older film without its context, it doesn't stand up well to current films. We're steeped in the current context, whether we realize it or not. We're not necessarily steeped in World War II-era North Africa (Casablanca) or Great Depression/Dustbowl era Kansas (The Wizard of Oz). What I'm saying is that if you do not know those things about those two movies (that is, the context they are set in), then it becomes much more difficult to understand them and compare them favorably to contemporary movies, which we understand by default. I strongly believe that context is necessary to understand art. CogSmooch has said that he does not, and that's where the question about Casablanca comes from.

Mogwai's example was the case study of this: viewing Akira without the context of what made it special in its day reduced it to an average movie in comparison to a modern classic like Spirited Away (if I'm putting words in your mouth Mogwai, please correct me).

EDIT- I should say also that I'm assuming in this conversation that when we use the word "appreciate" or any synonym thereof, we mean more than just "liking" the film. Sure, you can like a film without understanding it. But to "appreciate" it (that is, engage with it on a more intellectual level), I think cotextual understanding is crucial.

Top Bottom