• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Honestly, I was greatly confused by it and I don't think it's a movie you can watch once and understand fully. I plan on watching it at least one more time in the future, especially considering a live action high budget Akira movie is in the making.

but this should help you Wes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(film)

wow the link is being gay, just click on Akira (film) to bring up the page. It explains a good deal.

Cort

Apple Head
No, its just a mount. >_>

Blizz just started to figure out offering cosmetic items to players for money = ez cash, ala Korean MMOs.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Honestly, I was greatly confused by it and I don't think it's a movie you can watch once and understand fully. I plan on watching it at least one more time in the future, especially considering a live action high budget Akira movie is in the making.

but this should help you Wes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(film)

wow the link is being gay, just click on Akira (film) to bring up the page. It explains a good deal.
um, it didn't really explain anything to me... :(

I watched the movie twice and still just felt horribly confused and dissatisfied with it. Maybe it was really trying to appeal to the people who had read the Manga and had all the blanks filled in for them, but as a stand alone movie, it just felt really frenetic and confusing. *shrug*

thumbswayup

Smash Master
um, it didn't really explain anything to me... :(

I watched the movie twice and still just felt horribly confused and dissatisfied with it. Maybe it was really trying to appeal to the people who had read the Manga and had all the blanks filled in for them, but as a stand alone movie, it just felt really frenetic and confusing. *shrug*
Oh I thought you wanted a good description of the plot or something. Yeah it doesn't really go much deeper in that link sadly. I'd also like a lot of smaller things in the film cleared up.

btw Kayne West's music video of Stronger pays tribute to Akira. I hadn't ever bothered to watch it and I just did and it's like WOW the whole video is scenes from that movie.

Also, if you've ever seen that DBZ movie The World's Strongest, there are soooo many elements of that movie that are taken directly from Akira. I saw that DBZ movie dozens of times when I was a kid so many of the prominent images stuck with me all these years and when I watched Akira I immediately recognized each and every one of them. It's quite scary how many things it has influenced, even The Matrix!

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
If you want a trippy anime that will really leave you confused, watch Tamala 2010.

We had to watch it for my anime class and the entire class was stunned into submission afterwards by the sheer WTFery.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Wtf, there's anime classes? HAB, teach me the ways. I'll read the last like 10 pages... eventually. Someone wanna catch me up to pace with what's gone on since like this past Thursday? LOL

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
NYU was kinda awesome in the kinda WTF classes it offers. I took a class in anime as well as one in video game culture and industry.

And I kid you not when I say they were both probably the most challenging courses I took there. I actually LEARNED stuff in those classes.

EDIT: And actually, I'm in the same boat as you. I was in NYC since last Thursday and completely missed all ten pages of CT Spammy goodness.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Akira came out back when mature themes and suggestive references were scarce and not so the norm now a days. I have a GREAT amount of respect for Akira solely because they hand drew all of the cells. That level of detail without significant computer assistance doesn't occur anymore.

The plot was kinda like, meh. I would never call the plot anything more than decent, but it was the combination of the characters, themes(both obscure and mature at the time), and animation that REALLY set it apart from everything. For me it was far more driven by its presentation and the handful of characters that I got attached to briefly. Overall its really cut n dry plot wise but its how they got there that made it a classic.

Akira could come out now with the common digital nuances and it would be maybe above average. Its timing and ability to stray from conventions that were being established at the time of the greats such as Robotech is what deemed it a classic. An exmaple would be how all of Akira's face models all are FULLY articulated and have full fledged (life like) movement during all types of dialog(many studios used[and still do use] lots of stock footage with faces to cut corners). Another would be some of the angled shots and panning that demand a high level of detail both in the foreground and the background.

OVERALL...Akira is a technical masterpiece that kinda was the mario 64 of anime(lol my point is similar so I had to make the reference) movies. Combine that with some themes that really REALLY broke the mold in the late 80s and you have something great.

Honestly, kinda how some people don't see the big deal about Evangelion....I feel like you have to be an anime enthusiast at some point to really appreciate all of the subtleties in great work in general. Its kinda like having a great appreciation for melee after playing it for years and seeing the little things being executed at high level.

EDIT:I am not calling akira one of the best anime movies ive seen or anything, but its def a staple. I can probly name 4-5 movies that I liked more overall but its impossible to deny its technical prowess and the way that it set the bar for animation/presentation in movies.
EDIT2: TIME to go troll some apple geniuses....to stamford!!!!!!!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I guess the real problem with Akira (or any classic) is that you have to appreciate it in it's respective timeframe. A friend of mine made that point to me with Psycho: by today's standards, it's just your average slasher flick, but when it was released, it invented the average slasher flick.

Basically, when you compare a classic to its contemporary counterparts, it falls short, but you have to keep in mind that the classic is what forms the foundation for the contemporaries that are so much better.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
well, I can't speak on the anime appreciation levels that Swift's talking about there, but I will say that Psycho scared the balls off of me much moreso than any modern horror movie has. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, but that movie just got under my skin.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
For me, it's that shot near the beginning of the shower scene when you see a dark figure open the door and walk towards her. It still has me scared to turn my back to the door when I shower.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
The sound and visuals in Pyscho are just brilliant to me...

Actually, is anyone else getting deja vu from like, a year ago or so? I think we had some sort of conversation like this about Psycho a long time ago and I would go find it but for the fact that I don't have search to make it easy :(.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I guess the real problem with Akira (or any classic) is that you have to appreciate it in it's respective timeframe. A friend of mine made that point to me with Psycho: by today's standards, it's just your average slasher flick, but when it was released, it invented the average slasher flick.

Basically, when you compare a classic to its contemporary counterparts, it falls short, but you have to keep in mind that the classic is what forms the foundation for the contemporaries that are so much better.
yikes. I started to type a response to this but it's just kind of mindblowing so I won't bother.

edit: Akira def has deep themes but they are kind of particular to Japan. Specifically the whole disenfranchised youth culture that started to bloom in the 1980s there. Their parents lived through armageddon, basically (Japan is a post-apocalyptic society... it's a relatively small island that had TWO ****ing atomic bombs dropped on it) but they were to first to not feel the national drive to become a productive member of society/salarymen or whatever.
The plot is pretty vague but I don't think it's really confusing. A lot of the experiment's specifics are left up to the imagination but I kind of like it that way.
I'd still put Akira's animation up against any modern day anime.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
What's so mindblowing about suggesting that old media doesn't hold up well in comparison to new media?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Do you still listen to tapes?

EDIT-

What's so mindblowing about suggesting that old media GENERALLY doesn't hold up well in comparison to new media?
There, now everyone's favorite media can be held up as the exception to the rule. Happy?

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
spawn didnt you say that you knew someone that did stick mods? I am looking for someone to dual system mod my stick. I have the core parts, just need someone with experience.

Top Bottom