• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Oh, okay. I guess I actually have legitimate reasons for liking The Wire because I'm not white? What show was #1 Daz?

Also, I wish CT thread pages would stop playing music. I actually like to use my speakers for other things.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Oh, okay. I guess I actually have legitimate reasons for liking The Wire because I'm not white? What show was #1 Daz?

Also, I wish CT thread pages would stop playing music. I actually like to use my speakers for other things.
20. Penn and Teller: Bull****!
19. 60 Minutes
18. Entourage
17. Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
16. Iron Chef
15. House
14. LOST
13. Firefly
12. Seinfeld
11. Battlestar Galactica
10. Band of Brothers
9. Star Trek: The Next Generation
8. Dexter
7. Curb Your Enthusiasm
6. Farscape
5. Breaking Bad
4. Mad Men
3. The Wire
2. Arrested Development
1. Jersey Shore

His reasoning behind Jersey Shore:
The reality show everyone loves to hate may be revealing stunning lessons about social phenomena in the tri-state area - and not in the manner some people would have you believe. MTV's "Jersey Shore" is a difficult program to defend at face value, as its images bombard viewers with binge drinking, promiscuity, and coarse language, which seemingly exploit Italian-American youths. This cocktail of vices also exhibits a brutal misogynistic edge, culminating in a physical assault that has now become a widespread point of controversy. However, shrouded beneath the wrapping of atypical TV tawdriness is a somewhat honest portrait of youngsters trapped in a cultural clash of interests, seeking identification with their common heritage and achieving a subsequent unity through its potent influence. The popular show primarily exists to entertain, but it also serves as a vehicle for exposure of a fascinating sub-culture that extends its reach far beyond New York City's boroughs, suburban New Jersey, and adjacent regions.
In all fairness, it is not necessarily the content of "Jersey Shore" that is offending hundreds of Italian-Americans. Rather, it is the harsh, partially exaggerated, and often times comforting portrayal of blossoming adults that have been raised in ethnic households who are caught in the crossfire of contemporary American morays directly opposed to such "old world" sentiments. This group of summer partygoers isn't just a bunch of lewd 20-somethings bent on causing ruckus. Instead, they are people with emotions and ambitions who happen to be divided between allegiance to their familial or ethnic roots and the demands of a being young in uncertain times. They also comprise the cast of a major network's latest pet project and are expected to draw in viewers with outlandish displays of questionable antics. In this respect, "Jersey Shore" is hard to wholly accept as genuine. Yet, these shaky instances are well-compensated for by the dynamics between housemates, their declared ideals, and the split=second revelations that actually offer insight into what they call a "guido" sub-culture.

As a 21-year-old Italian-American (100 percent, born and raised on S.I.), I find the bitter attitude towards "Jersey Shore" to be slightly uncalled for. It's no secret that visiting Jersey's seaside attractions during summer months is a rite of passage for many within our community. Additionally, it is also quite common to see multitudes of people with their families at these locations, avoiding the more unsavory activities. Nevertheless, I am inclined to identify with certain aspects of MTV's program, especially when it presents segments dealing with what constitutes a modern Italian-American identity. In a recent episode, housemate Vinny's relatives came to visit with a traditional meal. The ensuing scene was a drastic departure from what it is largely considered typical behavior for the show. Snookie even went as far as to claim that the dinner was "just like Christmas," with the remainder of the cast enthusiastically commenting on the event as something reminiscent of home. If this is not a concrete testimony to the towering importance of family for Italian-Americans, then I doubt any of us have a clue of what actually is.

Even for these notorious and now downright famous personas, the commonality of their heritage supersedes whatever debauchery ensues during their late=night escapades. This is an integral and utterly vital notion for those of us brought up in an Italian household, as it helps convey to naysayers that there is much more going on in the psyche of "Jersey Shore's" stars than drinking, fighting and sex. If anything, the program should be perceived and evaluated as a fusion of circumstances that depicts an aspect of life in our neck of the woods, which is often unnecessarily scorned and misunderstood. The undeniable fact is that many of us know and love people who look and dress like those we seen onscreen, all of which who are decent and intelligent human beings who are simply partaking in their own iteration of the Italian-American legacy. Discrimination and prejudice is still a factor for many as the aforementioned episode also illustrates. Ronnie comes to blows with a man who was explicitly judging, mocking, and devaluing him strictly on the terms of appearance and where he comes from. In light of this event, it's impossible to blame the housemates for talking incessantly about their familial connection to one another. In fact, this actually solidifies their compassion and support, stemming from a mutual understanding of their origins and cultural upbringing.

These views are not to be misinterpreted as a glorious defense of the unfortunate behavior that does occur on the program. Rather, I'm hoping people start to comprehend that perhaps the MTV executives saw something in creating this show that goes a bit beyond their financial gain and ratings' success, something maybe we're too afraid to admit. This might just be a necessary chronicling of a "situation" that doesn't happen in other parts of the country, a time and place totally misinterpreted by those outside of its realm of influence. Shockingly, it also may be an endearing snapshot in disguise, a compilation of attitudes, beliefs, and moments that unintentionally exploits sub-culture of Italian-American lifestyle. Either way, I've felt something watching 'Jersey Shore" that I haven't felt in a long, long time, while watching television - at home, and for that Jersey Shore gets the #1 spot on this list.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Okay, I'm sorry, but a 21-year old of any nationality is not qualified to write a list of the best shows of all time, as evidenced by the fact that none of the shows he's listed existed before 1987 (with the exception of 60 Minutes, which doesn't count because it's like listing "The News" as a television show), and 14 of the 20 shows aired in the last decade.

If this is just a favorite's list, then it makes much more sense, although his reasoning behind putting Jersey Shore at #1 is dubious at best.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
His reasoning behind 60 Minutes:

I don't really have to say too much about this show. Longest running prime time show in TV history, highest rated show in its timeslot, winner of countless Emmy Awards, Peabody Awards, and so on. Probably the only relevant news that you can watch on TV, other than The Daily Show (which is sad, because it's a comedy show). In fact, this show is so relevant that it has actually created news itself. One of their programs was about a dangerous chemical that was sprayed on apples to make them bigger and to enhance the color. Apple sales dropped so much that CBS was sued by apple growers. Later, the chemical was banned by the Environmental Protection Agency. One of the shows even helped free some guy who was wrongly convicted of armed robbery. Ignoring the relevance of the show for a second and just looking at its quality as a news program, I really enjoy the reporting style. It's less about pointed questions that all feed into a specific agenda, and more about reporting interesting ****. I mean, what other news program would ever report a story about a literal aspie and former doctor who made billions of dollars from insurance policies on the ****ty sub-prime mortgages that caused this whole recession? 60 Minutes gets #19 because it's the best TV show in its class.

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
So should I get Monster Hunter Tri? It's $45 (game only) at Amazon.com with a $10 future video game credit. I can use that credit to pre-order SMG2, which gives a $20 credit, which I can then use on Metroid Other M. Sounds like a pretty good plan. Plus I can get free release day shipping.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
So should I get Monster Hunter Tri? It's $45 (game only) at Amazon.com with a $10 future video game credit. I can use that credit to pre-order SMG2, which gives a $20 credit, which I can then use on Metroid Other M. Sounds like a pretty good plan. Plus I can get free release day shipping.
I'm playing it right now. DO IT. THIS GAME IS SO GOOD.

MH:
3G > 2G > Frontier > 3 > 2 > 1G > 1.
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm so used to thinking of Sheik in terms of Smash that when I did an image search for the Legend of Zelda and Sheik showed up I thought to myself, "Why are pictures of Sheik showing up for a Zelda search?"

EDIT- Swift, can an SE or TE be modified to work for PS2 as well?

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
If anyone said anything directed at me and/or slightly interesting in the past four days on this thread, I'm sorry.

No possible way I'm going back and rereading all of it on the off chance something meets either of those criteria.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
****, looks like HAB is going to miss out on that awesome thing we the CT Thread made for him in a collective effort.
-DD

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
If anyone said anything directed at me and/or slightly interesting in the past four days on this thread, I'm sorry.

No possible way I'm going back and rereading all of it on the off chance something meets either of those criteria.
Funny thing is, in the last 4 days all we were doing was talking about you and how you should clearly be a mod.
We were even contemplating building a statue made of gold in your honor.

shame you missed all that.

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you know, **** you man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulfur is like an endurance trial. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in . . . next to soccer.

Top Bottom