• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Cort

Apple Head
You can appreciate just about anything without understanding its context I think. Most art ends up getting picked apart sideways by millions of different people (regardless of what the artist wanted it to mean). Doesn't necessarily matter that much if people end up finding much more out of whatever it is.

But then again I'm a herp derp

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Mogwai's example was the case study of this: viewing Akira without the context of what made it special in its day reduced it to an average movie in comparison to a modern classic like Spirited Away (if I'm putting words in your mouth Mogwai, please correct me).
This all started so long ago, I barely remember.

Someone said they recently saw Akira and it blew their mind or something (thumbs maybe?)
I was all like, "yo bro, what's the big deal with Akira, I dun like it that much"
Some other **** was said
Swift came in and basically gave a huge run down of the history of Akira and why it was a big deal (providing context basically).
I was like, "oh, ok, cool, but at this point, seeing it so late and not being invested in anime enough to appreciate how it changed the medium, it's not that good"

So yea, I guess I agree that that's what I'm saying. :laugh:

Like, for comparisson, I'm not terribly interested in Drama or History but I still think Lion in Winter is an unbelievable film. I'm also not terribly interested in Horror but I still think Psycho is amazing. These films aged well IMO, and are good standing alone, out of their context. So much of what seems to make people love Akira just doesn't matter to me, so I think it requires context to be appreciated.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I didn't bring up Casablanca originally, CogSmooch did:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10087133&postcount=76465

but I ran with it because I think it proves my point pretty well.
My bad.

EDIT- I should say also that I'm assuming in this conversation that when we use the word "appreciate" or any synonym thereof, we mean more than just "liking" the film. Sure, you can like a film without understanding it. But to "appreciate" it (that is, engage with it on a more intellectual level), I think cotextual understanding is crucial.
I'm not sure when we crossed over to "appreciating" art versus simply enjoying it, but I think I get you now.

I had a similar discussion with some friends recently, and I arrived at the following analogy:

If somebody told me they like Kenny G more than Miles Davis, I would be totally bewildered by that person but I really couldn't say they were wrong. If somebody told me Kenny G is a better jazz musician than Miles Davis, I could think of about a hundred reasons why they were wrong.

Basically, I think I agree with you, but on the other hand, if you run with that line of thinking, I don't think there's any point at which one could claim to "appreciate" anything short of actually being the artist. Also I agree with Cort (and I think it's pretty self-evident), that art is always completely open to interpretation.

On a lighter note, the new Mountain Dew tastes a lot like Baja Blast. IT'S ABOUT ****ING TIME.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
curious situation: ran into the most beautiful girl i've ever met a couple nights ago...
pros: everything that isn't a con
con: she is good friends with an ex-gf of mine, hence how i met her. hella awkward. also i have no seemingly appropriate reason to talk to her again. resort to badgering my ex-gf and again, awkwardly asking her to properly introduce us, or lamely facebook stalk and attempt contact, since not running in the same circles means there is virtually no possibility i will "run into" her in a city of this size.

conflicted. halp.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I agree with Dave.

Or just Facebook stalk her. That's petty much our version of saying hello to a random woman on the street.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
best bet: facebook stalk her while uploading pictures of your **** to facebook

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
curious situation: ran into the most beautiful girl i've ever met a couple nights ago...
pros: everything that isn't a con
con: she is good friends with an ex-gf of mine, hence how i met her. hella awkward. also i have no seemingly appropriate reason to talk to her again. resort to badgering my ex-gf and again, awkwardly asking her to properly introduce us, or lamely facebook stalk and attempt contact, since not running in the same circles means there is virtually no possibility i will "run into" her in a city of this size.

conflicted. halp.
If she's just the most beautiful girl, then it's not worth it.

If she's mad chill and you can see yourself having a meaningful relationship, then do whatever the HAYLL you have to in order to be able to talk with her. Sacrifice your dignity by talking to your ex-girlfriend, consider finding her on Facebook or whatever, be humble, be yourself.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Make her a powerpoint confessing your love
lol, brilliant. as usual.

best bet: facebook stalk her while uploading pictures of your **** to facebook
sleepyk is all about the combos

If she's just the most beautiful girl, then it's not worth it.

If she's mad chill and you can see yourself having a meaningful relationship, then do whatever the HAYLL you have to in order to be able to talk with her. Sacrifice your dignity by talking to your ex-girlfriend, consider finding her on Facebook or whatever, be humble, be yourself.
i meant beauty on more than a surface level. and word, since it's no exaggeration i have no pride or shame in this scenario. i'll bother the **** out of my ex, i suippose, before i have to lamely resort to introducing myself over fb if it comes to that.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
or even better, play smash with her, then while showing her the buttons, pull out your ***** and have her accidentally come into contact with it.

works every time.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
But never pineapple, despite how exotic it is. It just isn't worth it, Dante.

BUT MAN

DEADPOOL

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/131474/deadpool-shoryuken.jpg

HOLY ****
LOL WTF?

or even better, play smash with her, then while showing her the buttons, pull out your ***** and have her accidentally come into contact with it.

works every time.
THIS.
It sounds like sexual harassment at first, but when you actually do it she just goes right for the joystick, if you know what I mean.
-DD

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
lol at Alexander advice. Only thing I can add is not to wait too long to do something, otherwise she could potentially forget about you! (lol that could never happen with the Hazygoose!)

Also, Lupin the 3rd is good.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Agree with Budai. Don't wait too long. Be swift. (Waits for Swift Puns)

Also, what Dew tastes like Baja Blast? Voltage?

No way, man. Both good, but distinct flavors.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
yea waiting to strike with girls is rly a waste of time. I rather much be in the moment and go for it. Otherwise I syke myself out or make trying to get into their pants sound too rehearsed. I swear some girls rather be surprised and see akward than some smoothy two shoes with more small talk than a ****** orator.

If the girl is worth it overall then its better to take ur time and build rapport and actually listen and all that good stuff.

/advice

Aesir

Smash Master
Better act Hizzzzzzy.

I remember this one time I was gonna act on this girl I really liked who was just getting over a guy, but I didn't want to be some rebound so I waited camping my *** off. Then someone comes in for the kill and then I see "GAME."

Never in my life have I ever felt like smash accurately depicted something in real life. Moral of the story, camping your *** off with girls = not always good advise.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I remember this one time I was gonna act on this girl I really liked who was just getting over a guy, but I didn't want to be some rebound so I waited camping my *** off. Then someone comes in for the kill and then I see "GAME."
I love you, Aesir. This is going to be in my sig.

Smooth Criminal

Aesir

Smash Master
Yeah and when a girl gets interested in another guy it's done, over. It's basically like you're about to smash a stupid fox for recovering wrong then a star lands on them and items aren't even on. FML

ZoSo

Smash Champion
It's more like if you were teaming with G$ and he came over and edgeguarded the Fox before you while you were taking your sweet time and everybody flipped out and started inquiring as to the whereabouts of said Fox player, meanwhile he edgeguarded the Fox in a variety of positions three more times in that same match.

Also, I disagree that camping is a bad strategy when it comes to girls. I've found camping out in the bushes in their backyard to be quite effective.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
for anyone who cares. maybe 3 ppl:

21/04/2010 (new update on next month)
Currently Arcade Machines' Ranking of Japan

01 Mago (Sa) 651.072
02 Daigo (Ry) 421.305
03 Ojisan Boy (Sa) 397.274
04 RF (Sa) 320.708
05 Tokido (Go) 239.897
06 Uryo (Vi) 224.631
07 Momochi (Go) 223.444
08 Radiowave (Sa) 208.103
09 Hamaa (Sa) 203.480
10 Shiro (Ab) 200.606
11 Rikuson (Sa) 197.166
12 Oaru (Sa) 192.847
13 Furiten (Sa) 192.145
14 Eita (Go) 184.450
15 Kindevu (Ru) 176.520
16 Akua (Sa) 170.859
17 Pie (Sa) 161.712
18 Hisshou (Sa) 160.582
19 MDR (Ru) 155.073
20 Akameryu (Ry) 154.556
21 Bean (Sa) 154.225
22 Gachihomottsun (Sa) 148.803
23 Dragon Boy (Ke) 147.387
24 Ameriken (Sa) 140.738
25 Momochi (Ry) 138.849
26 Noriyasu (Go) 136.633
27 Nike (Ru) 134.930
28 Suropu (Sa) 134.783
29 Yuki (Sa) 132.814
30 Kyomachi Blanka (Sa) 130.499
31 Akimo (Ho) 130.468
32 Maakun (Sa) 129.887
33 Fuudo (Ry) 128.357
34 Yuu★ (Go) 127.969
35 Chiari (Bl) 127.846
36 Iyo (Dh) 127.540
37 Nuki (Ch) 123.859
38 Mahoshojo Zangitan (Za) 123.684
39 Wao (Ke) 121.977
40 Pamyu (Bi) 120.384
41 Cantona (Za) 120.319
42 Kojima (Bi) 120.014
43 AC Revenger (Ab) 120.003
44 Bonchan (Sa) 119.819
45 Dashio (Vi) 118.963
46 Haneyama (Ch) 118.496
47 Shungoku Neurosis (Ve) 117.487
48 Maeda Taison (Bi) 117.027
49 Aojiru Guile (Bi) 116.830
50 Kanbara (Go) 116.543

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
So I heard I'm hosting a smashfest on Saturday? Who from CT is going to that?

Marc, Andrew and Herman want to chill, LOL.
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i just got wombo combod by my ex-gf.

girl was not single. girl was married. to a girl.
made an *** out of myself.
i'm not falco.

well played, ***** who mutually hates me...well played.
thanks for the advice anyway, pals...i will use this if i am ever in a similar situation. but i need to recover after this ****. ****ing ex has top tier mindgames.

Top Bottom