• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You gotta be kidding me

dude the only funny part of that movie (and I'll admit it's a HILARIOUS part) is Will Ferrell's rant at the end with him screaming into the camera for a minute. BLUE STEEL, FERRARI, LATIGRA?!??! THEY'RE THE SAME FACE

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
seb all his work is definitely worth viewing IMO (altho I haven't seen 2)
Barry Lyndon was beast. From a directorial standpoint.

The fact that the film uses like 99% natural lighting is still dumbfounding.
now knowing how crazy film is to work with, I can appreciate this so much... it must have been maddening because their depth of field was like miniscule. lights can be such a pain the *** but after dealing with weather fuxing up a bunch of shoots...

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
BUT WHY MALE MODELS?!
...are you serious? i just...i just told you that.

not my favorite comedy but i do find it good, probably top 10.
the jerk is my favorite movie ever, though. so good.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
SSF IV is going to be incredible and I'm going to go to tournaments for it I think. The Melee scene around here is pretty much the same people playing ALL the time....even in tournament.

I play Spife, Roman, Banks, Th0rn, solar, most of the time and every now and then someone like jman, eggm, or hax goes to an event and plays.

I just feel like the Melee community is the same batch of kids unless you REALLY TRAVEL.

Like honestly, I've played Spife, kyu puff, roman, and solar like a billion times.

lol.

The diversity of the melee community unless you travel like 3-4 states out is pretty much the same every tournament. Like, its like "oh my god, time to play Fox. Something completely new." That's the problem with smash sometimes. I'm sick of playing the same five characters on the same five stages with the same music all the time. Street Fighter expands that.

Sf is not as advanced as smash but there are a lot more match ups to learn than in Melee.
ok so
same batch of players at local tourneys sure, k.
played same folks... except you don't travel so it's your fault, k.

then you say "i have to go out of my state to play people who aren't in my state and going to in state tournaments." lol
same five chars welcome to high tier lol
five stages welcome to tournaments. HEY I AM TIRED OF THESE STAGES WHERE THE WINNER IS LARGELY DETERMINED BY PLAYER SKILL. LET'S GO TO BRINSTAR DEPTHS KK
same music welcome to melee hacks lol
sf expands that welcome to 1 stage with different backgrounds lol
sf is not as advanced as smash lolololol
a lot more matchups to learn

hmm, that last one might go under k or lol. it's debatable i guess.
even if this is just a list of gripes as opposed to legitimate complaints, most of the gripes are invalid.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> I'm pretty sure you're going to find that no matter what kind of competition you're getting into, you'll run into the same people over and over as long as you're not traveling and making an effort to meet new people.

If you're playing a competitive video game, everyone is going to tier *****, and if they have low tier secondaries, there is probably something you can do to overcome them no problem using your high tier, and you only learn the matchups against characters you will be playing.

And thats pretty much where SF ends as far as depth. You get your ATs, and you get your Matchups. Then you just practice. You get your opening, capitalize, get the same set amount of damage by executing the same combo you did last time into the same Ultra/Super you did last time. If you're leaving melee because its repetitive I don't think you'll make it very long on SF. Its still going to end up being the same music, all on the same one stage, its just different for the time being.

Smash is responsible for me having so many jawesome friends, my girlfriend, an awesome resume, the college I chose to go to, the reason I'm not miserable at this college, and is literally the only game I can play that doesn't feel like work or get old, so dropping this before the entire scene just up and dies one day is not likely, because I feel like there is always something for me to learn.

I think I'll upload the last of the vids now.
-DD

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
You never see me at any events anymore, or do anything, ever, but I still play it everyday. Melee that is, Brawl by yourself is like practicing juggling with only 2 balls

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Hmm... I go to tournaments to play a few fun matches but mostly to see friends.
Yes; agreed, but part of going to tournaments is to compete, learn match ups, see what you're doing wrong, etc. If I want to play with friends I'll have my friends come over or have a smashfest. You go to a tournament to see faces yes, but mainly to compete.

You gotta be kidding me

dude the only funny part of that movie (and I'll admit it's a HILARIOUS part) is Will Ferrell's rant at the end with him screaming into the camera for a minute. BLUE STEEL, FERRARI, LATIGRA?!??! THEY'RE THE SAME FACE
I hope you're joking. You really don't like comedies, do you? Thats the whole point of a comedy....to laugh. Not to have an epic storyline or plot.

I'm sure you hate Tommy Boy, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, and Airplane! too?

You're hurting my feelings Seb.

ok so
same batch of players at local tourneys sure, k.
played same folks... except you don't travel so it's your fault, k.

then you say "i have to go out of my state to play people who aren't in my state and going to in state tournaments." lol
same five chars welcome to high tier lol
five stages welcome to tournaments. HEY I AM TIRED OF THESE STAGES WHERE THE WINNER IS LARGELY DETERMINED BY PLAYER SKILL. LET'S GO TO BRINSTAR DEPTHS KK
same music welcome to melee hacks lol
sf expands that welcome to 1 stage with different backgrounds lol
sf is not as advanced as smash lolololol
a lot more matchups to learn

hmm, that last one might go under k or lol. it's debatable i guess.
even if this is just a list of gripes as opposed to legitimate complaints, most of the gripes are invalid.
Here we go again w SleepyK looking for things in what I say for flaws.

Smash is deeper than SF...I never said SF was deeper. What I said was is that I'm sick of the same match ups in Melee (fox, Falco, Jigs, Marth, Peach, Falcon, Sheik) because the tiers in Melee are incredibly high tier bandwagon and skewed. I don't want to go to Brawl simply because; well, Brawl gets old REALLY FAST and I don't like camping shield.

I mention different levels in SF because ALL THE LEVELS are tournament viable and I don't have to hear the Dreamland theme song all tournament long and can listen to a good 25 + stages of music as opposed to 5? That was my point.

SF allows players to learn ALL their match ups as opposed to the top five characters because it is more common to run into lower tiers in SF than any smash brothers game, period. Have you seen good Abels? Fei Longs? Cammys? Goukens? I know i've seen more lower tiers in SF than I have in smash brothers. The fact is, the tiers in SF aren't that rigged unless its like Akuma VS Gief, Vega Vs Gief, or Dan VS any high tier.

SF allows the game to be more about match ups and reacting than "well my character can chain grab you to 90% and then fair you in a ditto and you die" (Sheik Dittos)

Melee hacks? People will be over that in like.....two months? Hacks are cool for like two weeks and then you realize, "well, im sick of this song! I want something else." I modded my psp's menu music and opening boot screen and i got bored with it fast. Too much work for something so minimally satisfying. Heck, Spawn has his Wii main menu modded and is incredibly sick of it for proof. Melee hacking is cute, but it gets old. The Falco hack is legit but I'd once again get sick of it.

I don't travel to tournaments because I HAVE A JOB. I make money. I like to make money and not spend it so when I graduate college, I have a place to live and can start a life. With SF, I'll see different mains locally as well. I know two people from my own **** school who play mid to low tiers and are pretty good players. One is a Cammy main and the other is a Blanka. Both, not god or top tier.

Street Fighter is also way more popular and has a bigger fan base than smash brothers can ever dream to have and we all know this to be true.

Basically; the bottom line: I want to play SSF IV because it looks incredibly promising and it looks like all the hype is going to live up to it. I've heard incredible things and I'm really excited to see the new online modes, characters, costumes, and see what was changed and who was buffed etc. There is going to be a whole new level of depth to explore and hopefully we'll have some answers to dealing with Ryu, Sagat, and Akuma.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
You should listen to your friend Billy Zane, he's a cool dude.

Also, what is this? A center for ANTS?!

Zoolander was dumb hilarity, Seb. Sorry, I'm as big a film snob as you, but you gotta just accept the mindless lulz sometimes.

And I don't even do drugs.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Also, do some research on Barry Lyndon and the crazy cameras they used for the candlelit scenes. Kubrick was only able to find the camera with a large enough aperture to get the scenes right that he had to go shopping for a camera they were using at NASA. And even that had to be specially modified and custom fitted for him.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'm really ****ing tired so I didn't read PoF's long *** post but I'll read it later. All I have to say is a lotta the time you don't want me to go my other characters because you say you want to "get better vs Sheik/Fox/Falco" so yeah. If you're going to complain about tier whoring I'm going to start going my other characters so you can learn those MUs as well.

Joey/whoever I talked to on aim today sorry for the random dc's my computer was being a ***** to me at school.

Anyways good night. /dies

Oh wait, I wanted to post this like 10 hours ago lol:

Cog, I have been following your sage advise. ;) I suck at shaving on the third day though. I usually let it grow for a week then shave. T_T

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Melee hacks? People will be over that in like.....two months? Hacks are cool for like two weeks and then you realize, "well, im sick of this song! I want something else." I modded my psp's menu music and opening boot screen and i got bored with it fast. Too much work for something so minimally satisfying. Heck, Spawn has his Wii main menu modded and is incredibly sick of it for proof. Melee hacking is cute, but it gets old. The Falco hack is legit but I'd once again get sick of it.
There's a HUGE difference between hacking something you're only supposed to use for a brief period of time (menus) and something you're supposed to use for a large period of time (...the game you're playing). I still mess around with the music on my Brawl simply because I can, and I'd be all over Melee music hacks if my Wii still played discs. If you're sick of a song after 2 weeks, you can change it...

Street Fighter is also way more popular and has a bigger fan base than smash brothers can ever dream to have and we all know this to be true.
I disagree with this, actually.

SF allows players to learn ALL their match ups as opposed to the top five characters because it is more common to run into lower tiers in SF than any smash brothers game, period. Have you seen good Abels? Fei Longs? Cammys? Goukens? I know i've seen more lower tiers in SF than I have in smash brothers. The fact is, the tiers in SF aren't that rigged unless its like Akuma VS Gief, Vega Vs Gief, or Dan VS any high tier.
Sounds like you missed Vanz vs Darc

Also, I uploaded some pictures (like only 10 lol) from PAX if anyone wanted to see. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2063104&id=1229821249&ref=mf

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
And if you're saying its too much work to change it, then you don't have enough of a problem with it!

-DD

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
a lotta the time you don't want me to go my other characters because you say you want to "get better vs Sheik/Fox/Falco" so yeah. If you're going to complain about tier whoring I'm going to start going my other characters so you can learn those MUs as well.
No, thats not what I'm saying at all. I'm not complaining about tier whoring...more so seeing the same five characters all the time. The amount of diversity in smash is little to none. That's a better way to put it. SF has 10X more diversity in both levels, and characters.

Smash is the king of combos and finishers. No fighting game can ever dominate that.

Smash > SF > Blaz Blue IMO in terms of combo creativity.

Super taunt is broken, Sagat can't handle that
I lol'd.

In all honesty what are peoples opinions in terms of smash?

Is Smash a FIGHTER?

ThreeX

Smash Lord
street fighter talk? :D I think this is the first time i've ever posted in CT board LOL sup

hit me up on xbl? Deeeeejay XL DO IT DO IT

ThreeX

Smash Lord
POF, I agree and disagree with you on some things... Melee definitely more advanced then sf4... Personally, I kinda just gave up on melee, it's a great game but I grew sick of it.. didn't see myself getting better.. but that's my fault, whatever.

Now I've been playing alot of sf4, and I really like it... community is pretty tight. The talk about SF being more diverse with characters.. yeah, definitely... you see alot of mid tier/low tiers compared to melee, in my opinion I guess =\

The talk about stages/music is pretty dumb imo... I could care less about the music, that kinds goes in one ear and out the other. But what you said about the community being bigger then melee... idk, I think I agree with you on that one also. SF is pretty big.. along with all the other traditional fighters out there

Whatever.. wall of text awesomeness :D love u roman<3

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i'm turning 21 on the 6th, if you guys are still gonna be around we should all hang out.

where is anime boston anyway? i'm sure its close to me, i live off huntington ave, my apartment is literally off the green line. like, 20 feet to my door. the prudential is like a 20 or so min walk

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i'm turning 21 on the 6th, if you guys are still gonna be around we should all hang out.

where is anime boston anyway? i'm sure its close to me, i live off huntington ave, my apartment is literally off the green line. like, 20 feet to my door. the prudential is like a 20 or so min walk
It's at the hynes convention center, there is a green line stop for it. There is a fee though on sat/sun I believe so be ready to pony up some money if you decide to go.

I feel kinda stupid hearing the stages being all viable. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they all flat? It's just a background change. You could argue they are all the same stage.

Imagining SF with platforms and stuff though would be interesting to see in terms of combo creativity.

Octave

Smash Ace
I know for a fact "dus" is going to be at Anime Boston April 2-4, as will I.
My prom date is going ;__; I was too broke to pay for tickets as I hadn't worked for 2.5 months (******* of a boss) and I probably couldn't have paid for hotel rooms anyway. Ah well.. Maybe you guys will see her. I'll ask if she's cosplaying or something.

S l o X

Smash Champion
not going to tourneys for a while, maybe smashfests if there are any (really local at least).

drew pm me whenever your open

my grades = :/

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
My prom date is going ;__; I was too broke to pay for tickets as I hadn't worked for 2.5 months (******* of a boss) and I probably couldn't have paid for hotel rooms anyway. Ah well.. Maybe you guys will see her. I'll ask if she's cosplaying or something.
>_> Hm.

I might be able to put up free passes to Anime Boston like I do for CTCon.

I get to stay at Irish Mafia's for the Weekend. Be jealous.

And I love you too Roman!
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Melee hacks? People will be over that in like.....two months? Hacks are cool for like two weeks and then you realize, "well, im sick of this song! I want something else." I modded my psp's menu music and opening boot screen and i got bored with it fast. Too much work for something so minimally satisfying.
speak for yourself. that's all, no mean backup statement tonight, i'm feeling good.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Yes; agreed, but part of going to tournaments is to compete, learn match ups, see what you're doing wrong, etc. If I want to play with friends I'll have my friends come over or have a smashfest. You go to a tournament to see faces yes, but mainly to compete.
then go out of state further. no johns.
if you are still losing to the same people, then what is the problem with playing those same people until you beat them? or is it just "SOMEONE HELP I HATE BEING WORSE THAN TH0RN"

Here we go again w SleepyK looking for things in what I say for flaws.
Maybe you should stop posting your opinions on public forums if you're going to get butthurt when people respond to them.
lols

Smash is deeper than SF...I never said SF was deeper. What I said was is that I'm sick of the same match ups in Melee (fox, Falco, Jigs, Marth, Peach, Falcon, Sheik) because the tiers in Melee are incredibly high tier bandwagon and skewed.
OH MAN I AM SO TIRED OF HIGH TIERS WINNING BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER CHARACTERS

I don't want to go to Brawl simply because; well, Brawl gets old REALLY FAST and I don't like camping shield.
basically "I don't want to go to brawl because i have formed an incorrect opinion about it."
watch kismet v reflex n tell me about campin shield again pls

I mention different levels in SF because ALL THE LEVELS are tournament viable and I don't have to hear the Dreamland theme song all tournament long and can listen to a good 25 + stages of music as opposed to 5? That was my point.
you do realize that for the most part players just hit rematch to continue the set? so you're hearing one song for an hour in grands?

hey sf is a bigger game than smash so i'm going to use ratios as my argument

SF allows the game to be more about match ups and reacting than "well my character can chain grab you to 90% and then fair you in a ditto and you die" (Sheik Dittos)
right because there is zero gay in 2d fighters. "hey i am inexperienced in the tournament scene for these games so they are currently more appealing to me because i am losing in smash bros."

lol you realize changing a song takes 5 minutes at most thanks to meeeeeeee
and the other hackers ofc.
also ofc you don't use songs that "you get bored of in two weeks." you use music that feels like stage music/bgm.

I don't travel to tournaments because I HAVE A JOB. I make money. I like to make money and not spend it so when I graduate college, I have a place to live and can start a life.
I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A WEEKEND OFF FROM MY JOB BECAUSE IT'S JUST A VIDEO GAME RIGHT GUYS BUT ALSO I WILL COMPLAIN THAT I DON'T GO OUT OF STATE AND SOMEHOW IT IS MY FAULT FOR BEING SUCH A REAL GUY

With SF, I'll see different mains locally as well. I know two people from my own **** school who play mid to low tiers and are pretty good players. One is a Cammy main and the other is a Blanka. Both, not god or top tier.
With Melee, I'll see different mains locally as well. I know two people from my own **** school who play mid to low tiers and are pretty good players. One is a Bowser main and the other is a Yoshi. Both, not god or top tier.

lol also i am not lying.
well, maybe not my school, but close enough to my school.

ya so that just helps in invalidating your gripes.

Basically; the bottom line: I want to play SSF IV because it looks incredibly promising and it looks like all the hype is going to live up to it. I've heard incredible things and I'm really excited to see the new online modes, characters, costumes, and see what was changed and who was buffed etc. There is going to be a whole new level of depth to explore and hopefully we'll have some answers to dealing with Ryu, Sagat, and Akuma.
lol i love the bolded parts

I play Street Fighter because Chun Li is hot
Jam is such a manly man

I'm really ****ing tired so I didn't read PoF's long *** post but I'll read it later. All I have to say is a lotta the time you don't want me to go my other characters because you say you want to "get better vs Sheik/Fox/Falco" so yeah. If you're going to complain about tier whoring I'm going to start going my other characters so you can learn those MUs as well.

Joey/whoever I talked to on aim today sorry for the random dc's my computer was being a ***** to me at school.

Anyways good night. /dies

Oh wait, I wanted to post this like 10 hours ago lol:

Cog, I have been following your sage advise. ;) I suck at shaving on the third day though. I usually let it grow for a week then shave. T_T
lol nice1pof

cog has beard advice? too bad i am immune ;-;

There's a HUGE difference between hacking something you're only supposed to use for a brief period of time (menus) and something you're supposed to use for a large period of time (...the game you're playing). I still mess around with the music on my Brawl simply because I can, and I'd be all over Melee music hacks if my Wii still played discs. If you're sick of a song after 2 weeks, you can change it...

I disagree with this, actually.

Sounds like you missed Vanz vs Darc

Also, I uploaded some pictures (like only 10 lol) from PAX if anyone wanted to see. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2063104&id=1229821249&ref=mf
i love dazwa

No, thats not what I'm saying at all. I'm not complaining about tier whoring...more so seeing the same five characters all the time. The amount of diversity in smash is little to none. That's a better way to put it. SF has 10X more diversity in both levels, and characters.
yeah you were. combining arguments doesn't mean you weren't arguing half of them.
and your limited diversity is once again due to your location... also due to ratios as sf is bigger.. etc.
smash has diversity in the sense that people play completely differently. you would understand this if you traveled.

Smash is the king of combos and finishers. No fighting game can ever dominate that.
ehhh, this is purely opinion. your opinion. not everyone's.

Smash > SF > Blaz Blue IMO in terms of combo creativity.
define combo creativity. you complain that mu's and characters are the same then you praise smash for having creative combos? you play marth. LOOLOLOLO

Is Smash a FIGHTER?
I pose a better question - why is the genre of the game even relevant?
i love dazwa

but smash is smash. it's it's own game.

POF, I agree and disagree with you on some things... Melee definitely more advanced then sf4... Personally, I kinda just gave up on melee, it's a great game but I grew sick of it.. didn't see myself getting better.. but that's my fault, whatever.

Now I've been playing alot of sf4, and I really like it... community is pretty tight. The talk about SF being more diverse with characters.. yeah, definitely... you see alot of mid tier/low tiers compared to melee, in my opinion I guess =\

The talk about stages/music is pretty dumb imo... I could care less about the music, that kinds goes in one ear and out the other. But what you said about the community being bigger then melee... idk, I think I agree with you on that one also. SF is pretty big.. along with all the other traditional fighters out there

Whatever.. wall of text awesomeness :D love u roman<3
yea stage music is really pof just finding something else to complain about

Top Bottom