• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I'm really starting to get pissed off at the stupid drama that shows up after every tournament about a top level player not doing something or following through with something and they make excuses. It's really not a big deal to follow a TO's rules....like.....at all.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think it's a pretty big deal if people pay thousands of dollars to travel and support the event only to face disqualification for being twenty minutes late.

The only situation in which one could possibly justify doing that would be if they had been late for their LB match too. Since we know that wasn't the case, it should be obvious to everybody that Plank DQ'd them because he didn't want them to "mess up" the LB, which is a form of "special treatment" all its own.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me what a crock of **** the whole thing was, but it doesn't really matter. At this point, both sides are basically just slinging mud and it's obvious that Plank won't admit to any fault on his part. Oh well, he hosted the largest Melee tourney of all time so I guess he's beyond reproach, right?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
What about the other people plank DQ'd? Did he send them into loser's or did he DQ them altogether? I know he DQ'd a lot of people.

Basically if he was consistent with his rules then he is fine. You can complain that no one should be DQ'd for being late but you can't really blame a guy for sticking with the ruleset laid out months in advance. DQ'ing people that are late for matches is something that this community needs to take more seriously anyways... why do you think so many tournies run so friggin late all the time

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
What about the other people plank DQ'd? Did he send them into loser's or did he DQ them altogether? I know he DQ'd a lot of people.

Basically if he was consistent with his rules then he is fine. You can complain that no one should be DQ'd for being late but you can't really blame a guy for sticking with the ruleset laid out months in advance. DQ'ing people that are late for matches is something that this community needs to take more seriously anyways... why do you think so many tournies run so friggin late all the time
there is consistency, he didn't DQ people from matches, he DQed them all from tourney.

however, the part we all take a bit of issue with is bolded up there. there's no mention of DQ rules in the first post in the pound thread. he said he'd be harsh with DQs, but no concrete rule was given. given that nothing was stated in the first post, I think it's fair to say that I'm not the only one who expected the DQ rules to be somewhat standard, which is to say, some variant on the Mages' DQ Rule, which we as a community expect to DQ players from singular matches, not entire events.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Plank told me candidly that he had planned on making an exception for PC and Janet but he was forced to DQ them to avoid a double standard after the M2K/Jman debacle. After M2K/Jman were DQ'd, I learned that Plank had DQ'd a bunch of people from pools the day before, but I never heard anything about any of that, presumably because M2K and Jman were the first people who made such a big deal out of it (I can't say I blame them). If I'd known about any of these DQ's, I most certainly would have stuck up for those people. Then again, the only way you can REALLY hold up a pool is if you're nowhere to be found for at least an hour or two while everybody else plays through their matches.

I understand that Plank needs to stick to his guns or people won't take him seriously, but the fact remains that they weren't late for their LB match so there should have been no reason to disqualify them entirely unless Plank just wanted to make an example of them, which is ludicrous.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
there is consistency, he didn't DQ people from matches, he DQed them all from tourney.

however, the part we all take a bit of issue with is bolded up there. there's no mention of DQ rules in the first post in the pound thread. he said he'd be harsh with DQs, but no concrete rule was given. given that nothing was stated in the first post, I think it's fair to say that I'm not the only one who expected the DQ rules to be somewhat standard, which is to say, some variant on the Mages' DQ Rule, which we as a community expect to DQ players from singular matches, not entire events.
Oh ok, I didn't know there was no mention of any DQ rule in the first post of the pound thread. Though at least was consistent, in which case everyone should just ***** at the rule and not the particular instance. Problem is, M2K makes a post that basically says "we were going to win why'd you take away our money" which lends credence to the whole preferential treatment argument.

But yeah I don't really agree with the rule either, it should be DQ to losers bracket. *shrug* whatever

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Plank also stated that he was going to make an exception for PC and Janet because they had to play him and Chinesah first round and he was pretty sure he'd beat them.

But he doesn't want to give anybody special treatment, I swear.

Funny how everybody jumps down his throat when M2K says something far more realistic in the same vein.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
I felt bad for M2K/Jman getting DQ'd entirely from doubles. However, I still found it really funny when M2K was trying to change Plank's mind and it wasn't working. So he bursted out with "You know what? **** YOU" and stormed off.

What's Tipped Off 6?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Plank also stated that he was going to make an exception for PC and Janet because they had to play him and Chinesah first round and he was pretty sure he'd beat them.

Funny how everybody jumps down his throat when M2K says something far more realistic in the same vein.
but the point is he didn't, right?

also anybody else kind of loling at pc & janet teaming

EDIT: Oh hey look at that it's Jan 20. Anybody else remember POF saying he guaranteed Obama will be assassinated within one year of being in office?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> How would M2k and JMan mess up the losers bracket? By winning?

Jeez. Its a tournament, and only one person or team can make it out of losers brackets anyways. If M2kJman were going to lose, they would have lost.

LOL Cog you remember such silly things~
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The red haired chick is on Mad Men.

I watched the first two episodes. They were good, but it's just not my kind of show I guess.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I think it's a pretty big deal if people pay thousands of dollars to travel and support the event only to face disqualification for being twenty minutes late.

The only situation in which one could possibly justify doing that would be if they had been late for their LB match too. Since we know that wasn't the case, it should be obvious to everybody that Plank DQ'd them because he didn't want them to "mess up" the LB, which is a form of "special treatment" all its own.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me what a crock of **** the whole thing was, but it doesn't really matter. At this point, both sides are basically just slinging mud and it's obvious that Plank won't admit to any fault on his part. Oh well, he hosted the largest Melee tourney of all time so I guess he's beyond reproach, right?

Plank told me candidly that he had planned on making an exception for PC and Janet but he was forced to DQ them to avoid a double standard after the M2K/Jman debacle. After M2K/Jman were DQ'd, I learned that Plank had DQ'd a bunch of people from pools the day before, but I never heard anything about any of that, presumably because M2K and Jman were the first people who made such a big deal out of it (I can't say I blame them). If I'd known about any of these DQ's, I most certainly would have stuck up for those people. Then again, the only way you can REALLY hold up a pool is if you're nowhere to be found for at least an hour or two while everybody else plays through their matches.

I understand that Plank needs to stick to his guns or people won't take him seriously, but the fact remains that they weren't late for their LB match so there should have been no reason to disqualify them entirely unless Plank just wanted to make an example of them, which is ludicrous.
Oh ok, I didn't know there was no mention of any DQ rule in the first post of the pound thread. Though at least was consistent, in which case everyone should just ***** at the rule and not the particular instance. Problem is, M2K makes a post that basically says "we were going to win why'd you take away our money" which lends credence to the whole preferential treatment argument.

But yeah I don't really agree with the rule either, it should be DQ to losers bracket. *shrug* whatever

Who cares? M2K needs to stop whining, Jman needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions/decisions and make events on time.

I'd like to see anyone else in this thread run pound 4 better than plank did. All I ever hear from smashers is complaining about tournaments after they happened. Theres always someone bein a ***** or saying something horrible happened. **** happens, things aren't perfect. Get Over It.

pkmvodka got DQ'd (paid 20 bucks to re enter) for playing friendlies
Ok? Plank announced before anything happened that if we played friendlies he would DQ us. No sympathy here.

No TO should have to babysit. That's basically what it feels like.

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
if M2K and jman knew about the auto DQ rule beforehand i'd say they got what they deserved but they didn't. Same goes for Kiwi and i. Kiwi TOLD plank that she'd be a little late for bracket beforehand, like Saturday night before teams signup . He didn't mention anything about DQ'ing us from the teams bracket completely. If he did mention that i would of ended up teaming with thorn but i thought worst come to worse me and kiwi would end up in the losers for her being late.

Edit: LOL at PoF's sig i dunno why it made me laugh.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yes. Nut-busting yes.

She's perhaps the best looking woman in entertainment today. Mostly because she's not some waifish coke-head lookin' skank. She's a full-bodied, all natural woman, and she looks fantastic.
She's hot, but I still gotta go with Salma Hayek.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
but the point is he didn't, right?
If he had been consistent all along, I would still think it was a terrible call but I'd basically agree with you. The problem is that everything I've heard and witnessed has forced me to constantly question his motivations for DQ'ing them in the first place.

He was willing to make an exception for the team that he was pretty sure he could beat (in his words), but not for the team that had a shot at winning the tourney? Then he disqualified PC and Janet to cover his ass? Nobody else thinks that's ridiculously shady?

EDIT: Oh hey look at that it's Jan 20. Anybody else remember POF saying he guaranteed Obama will be assassinated within one year of being in office?
Hey it's almost like Garrett's opinion is completely worthless or something.

Who cares? M2K needs to stop whining, Jman needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions/decisions and make events on time.

I'd like to see anyone else in this thread run pound 4 better than plank did. All I ever hear from smashers is complaining about tournaments after they happened. Theres always someone bein a ***** or saying something horrible happened. **** happens, things aren't perfect. Get Over It.
I'm not saying there wasn't fault on both sides, but if you were cheated out of hundreds of dollars due to circumstances completely out of control, I HIGHLY doubt you would be so quick to just "get over it."

Ok? Plank announced before anything happened that if we played friendlies he would DQ us. No sympathy here.
He was calling attention to the fact that some players were allowed to buy back in while others weren't.

This whole mess has left me feeling pretty disenchanted with Smash, to be honest.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i believe someone mentioned that only ppl got dq'd for being late or suggested so.....hence I mentioned the DQ of PKMvodka. I have no quarrel with the decision was just giving an example of how others were DQ'd.

plank being strict was kinda good though. 2nd/3rd round pools went smooth.

S l o X

Smash Champion
so after i become best in the world, im not gonna be like hbox who is super duper nice. i dont know why people give him **** man hes so cool.

thought much more of the melee community.

hbox needs to knee someone irl next time someone says something

besides that hes like one of the best players in the world everybody should know their place already

----
edit: still love smash and about 80% of the smashers ive met in person
fun *** trip and i plan on playing melee for years to come even if the scene dies

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
so after i become best in the world, im not gonna be like hbox who is super duper nice. i dont know why people give him **** man hes so cool.

thought much more of the melee community.

hbox needs to knee someone irl next time someone says something

besides that hes like one of the best players in the world everybody should know their place already
Yeah, but seriously, he plays Jigglypuff.

Ewwwww.

<3Darc.
-DD

S l o X

Smash Champion
Yeah because Marth isn't gayer than Jiggs...right?

Come on now... flaming someone 20x better than you because you want to see them play another character? Get real. I would've honestly told everyone to **** off if I was hbox but he's that nice a guy that he didn't tell them to and he knows half the people flaming him were randoms.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yeah because Marth isn't gayer than Jiggs...right?

Come on now... flaming someone 20x better than you because you want to see them play another character? Get real. I would've honestly told everyone to **** off if I was hbox but he's that nice a guy that he didn't tell them to and he knows half the people flaming him were randoms.
=[ Well...random has 2 spots on the character select screen, SO HAH!
T-T Even if you can't see them.
-DD

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Who watched the GFs?

Who agrees that that West Coast ****** is a total ****** for trash talking him. I almost ****ing screamed at that douche.

I forget who he was.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
worst segway inc

We're doing draft crews this time, and somehow I will be one of the captains!

what do you guys think of draft crews at nationals?

I wouldve loved to see a top 48 draft after singles.(this has nothing to do with me making top 48 -.-) This way crews would be done(easy picking and organizing) and competitive all around.

also @ dave:

WOW soooo many smashers take friendlies too seriously. All I thought about was that time that you explained your logic about friendlies(playing to learn etc etc...). On that note, I like the idea of exhibition matches. Plank kinda announced when certain people were playing day 1 and that seemed kinda like an exhibition match which i liked. Kinda glad that i am not super high profile. Zhu seemed annoyed a bit at times and now thinking about it I would be too if I were high profile.

Who watched the GFs?

Who agrees that that West Coast ****** is a total ****** for trash talking him. I almost ****ing screamed at that douche.

I forget who he was.
some guys was telling HBOX to SD to end the game and make the set faster right?

Top Bottom