• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Count me in on hoping that the final smash is a HOOPS slam dunk. Would really drive home that the character is an athlete and not a super hero. Then again the Yoga Trainer does a generic Dragon Ball Z energy laser blast so my expectations are not that high. I expect a normal rush attack like DK

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It was clear that it had been decided before Smash. In multiple games pre-Smash he spends literally the entire game in the clown car, like Mario Party 9 or Paper Mario Sticker Star.
Whoever writes the Mario bible decided that Jr. was going to be permanently associated with riding in his car. This simply spread to Smash the same way it spread to Paper Mario or the like. Smash had absolutely no influence in it becoming a part of his character
leave it fogbadge, its not worth it

Count me in on hoping that the final smash is a HOOPS slam dunk.
thatd be so dull

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Count me in on hoping that the final smash is a HOOPS slam dunk. Would really drive home that the character is an athlete and not a super hero. Then again the Yoga Trainer does a generic Dragon Ball Z energy laser blast so my expectations are not that high. I expect a normal rush attack like DK
It would still be a change from just about everyone in the previous pass using cutscenes, so far. Not just something you can easily dodge via whiffing.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So, would the final smash for the ARMS rep be their supers from the game or something more intense?
I agree with everyone and feel like Headlok or just intense punching is the most likely, but some sort of psuedo-original cutscene Smash could be awesome. Like, have the other ARMS characters come in, punch the person (possibly based on this shot from the announcement), then everyone joins in for spiking a V-ball ball at the opponent.

Cutscene Final Smashes are overused, but they're overused for a very nuanced reason: They look cool. :p

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If Terry could have supers in his regular gameplay I cant see why they wouldnt implement the Rush for the ARMS character
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Sakurai usually loves gimmicks for DLC fighters. Hedlock makes the most sense. He'd grab you and the then let loose a flurry of punches followed by spitting a giant explosive energy ball. It doesn't need to be a cinematic either. It could happen on the stage like DK's or Little Mac's FS.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I agree with everyone and feel like Headlok or just intense punching is the most likely, but some sort of psuedo-original cutscene Smash could be awesome. Like, have the other ARMS characters come in, punch the person (possibly based on this shot from the announcement), then everyone joins in for spiking a V-ball ball at the opponent.

Cutscene Final Smashes are overused, but they're overused for a very nuanced reason: They look cool. :p
Yeah, that would make sense. The basic supers from the game would be too simple

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So, if Kirby absorbs the ARMS fighter, how exactly would the attack work?
Kirby would probably acquire a stretchy arm/ arms only when doing the attack, assuming the attack does use the stretchy arms. It may or may not be stylized as being part of his body; he might just hold one end of it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Kirby gets Corrin's unholy mouth hand when using his/her special move so chances are he'll just spontaneously grow the ARMS of whoever he copies.

Staarih

Smash Master
So, if Kirby absorbs the ARMS fighter, how exactly would the attack work?
We don't know what the neutral + B will be for the ARMS character yet, so it may not even require the stretchy/springy arms (no idea what it would be in that case though: a buff move, or switching arms or something?). I do picture the majority of the ARMS moveset to revolve around the arms though, obviously. Then all Kirby needs is springy arms of his own, which would definitely be a sight to see. At least him gaining a wig of whatever character he inhales would be fun to see - now to come think of it, a Twintelle wig (if she's the one chosen) would give Kirby the "arms" without sacrificing his own haha.

As for the Final Smash, Hedlok + a rush of punches seems like an easy, obvious pick. And I personally find it rather suiting.

What do you guys think the ARMS Spirit Board will consist of? Likely some (or all) of the rest of the fighters who aren't in as spirits yet will be present, surely, but anything else? I'd think Biff and/or Hedlok (maybe enhancable into his golden level 8 form?) could get spirits of their own too. Each board looks to have at least one Legend-rank spirit as well, which one for ARMS?

And the weirdest thing, I had a dream last night about a sequel for ARMS announced called "ARMS-2-3" with fully customizable fighters. The brains work weird sometimes.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
We don't know what the neutral + B will be for the ARMS character yet, so it may not even require the stretchy/springy arms (no idea what it would be in that case though: a buff move, or switching arms or something?). I do picture the majority of the ARMS moveset to revolve around the arms though, obviously. Then all Kirby needs is springy arms of his own, which would definitely be a sight to see. At least him gaining a wig of whatever character he inhales would be fun to see - now to come think of it, a Twintelle wig (if she's the one chosen) would give Kirby the "arms" without sacrificing his own haha.

As for the Final Smash, Hedlok + a rush of punches seems like an easy, obvious pick. And I personally find it rather suiting.

What do you guys think the ARMS Spirit Board will consist of? Likely some (or all) of the rest of the fighters who aren't in as spirits yet will be present, surely, but anything else? I'd think Biff and/or Hedlok (maybe enhancable into his golden level 8 form?) could get spirits of their own too. Each board looks to have at least one Legend-rank spirit as well, which one for ARMS?

And the weirdest thing, I had a dream last night about a sequel for ARMS announced called "ARMS-2-3" with fully customizable fighters. The brains work weird sometimes.
I'm fairly confident that every fighter from ARMS that wasn't a spirit already will be one for the Spirit Board and Biff may or may not join them

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm fairly confident that every fighter from ARMS that wasn't a spirit already will be one for the Spirit Board and Biff may or may not join them
This is of course assuming the ARMS character is a Spirit promotion (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara or Twintelle)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It almost assuredly will be. It's very unlikely the character won't be one of those five.
Not only are the remaining ten fighters a good fit for a spirit board, but Dr. Coyle is the best fit for an ARMS spirit board's boss spirit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another factor to take into consideration: Lola Pop had gotten a pretty warm reception in Japan when she debuted in ARMS, compared to elsewhere (understandably so, since Coulrophobia isn't actually common there, from what I hear).

I wouldn't doubt the possibility of getting another "Eastern-audience-aimed" character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At bare minimum, we'll have 10 spirits for sure: the remaining ARMS fighters. Biff and anything else however is not so certain

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'mma just get my ratings of likelihood out.

Characters who have a high chance:
Helix: Possibly the most familiar face outside of the mascots. Helix's movement and general demeanour are very thematically fitting to Smash, he has great mobility options and a good stage to boot. He also plays major roles in side modes.
Max Brass: The main villain is ARMS, so anyone who's played will know him, and he's the driving force behind the tournament as a whole. He may also be able to switch between a light and heavy movement style, giving him advantage over the ARMS heavyweights. It also makes sense to have a main villain, since the main hero is an Assist.
Dr. Coyle: Shares some of her reasons with Max Brass. She's a very important character to ARMS as a whole, inventing Helix, Lokjaw and Springtron, her moveset could incorporate other character's arms without feeling out of character, since she gave herself the Arms ability, and if we take Bayonetta's texture changing glitch into consideration, Coyle is the ONLY character who changes texture in battle due to her invisibility. I'd give her front running. honestly.

Characters with a medium chance:
Kid Cobra: He's very vanilla as far as Arms goes, but his mobility gives him an edge where Smash is concerned. His stage would also be interesting.
Lola Pop: She's got the feeling of Smash down and a plausible blocking move, but she's not too unique otherwise.

Characters with a low chance:
Master Mummy: Having a heavyweight represent ARMS as a whole wouldn't be the best choice.
Mechanica: Same reason as Master Mummy.
Byte & Barq: They're a gimmicky character in their own game, so they'd have two gimmicks on top of each other which may break balancing.
Misango: Honestly, most people don't even remember he exists.
Springtron: Would've maybe been a costume/Echo for Spring Man, but without Spring Man, he's not got much going for him.
ARMS 2 Character: It's an interesting concept, but I don't think they'd show the ARMS 1 roster only to announce a sequel.

Characters with no chance:
Spring Man: He's an Assist Trophy and would've already have been revealed if it were him.
Ribbon Girl: She's a Spirit.
Ninjara: He's a Spirit.
Min Min: She's a Spirit, and it's likely the Party Crash Bash didn't actually mean much outside of ARMS itself.
Twintelle: She's a Spirit and doesn't fight with her arms, misrepresenting the series.
Biff: He's just the announcer, not much here to work with.
Lokjaw: He's better suited to a cameo in a Final Smash.
Alternate Costume Characters: [laughs] Come on, if you know anything about ARMS, you know how different the characters' body types and abilities are, and the only few that could much this concept are already Spirits. I know this theory only happened because they showed the whole roster, but guaranteed, it's not happening.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533

Helix: Possibly the most familiar face outside of the mascots. Helix's movement and general demeanour are very thematically fitting to Smash, he has great mobility options and a good stage to boot. He also plays major roles in side modes.
Max Brass: The main villain is ARMS, so anyone who's played will know him, and he's the driving force behind the tournament as a whole. He may also be able to switch between a light and heavy movement style, giving him advantage over the ARMS heavyweights. It also makes sense to have a main villain, since the main hero is an Assist.
Dr. Coyle: Shares some of her reasons with Max Brass. She's a very important character to ARMS as a whole, inventing Helix, Lokjaw and Springtron, her moveset could incorporate other character's arms without feeling out of character, since she gave herself the Arms ability, and if we take Bayonetta's texture changing glitch into consideration, Coyle is the ONLY character who changes texture in battle due to her invisibility. I'd give her front running. honestly.

Kid Cobra: He's very vanilla as far as Arms goes, but his mobility gives him an edge where Smash is concerned. His stage would also be interesting.
Lola Pop: She's got the feeling of Smash down and a plausible blocking move, but she's not too unique otherwise.

Master Mummy: Having a heavyweight represent ARMS as a whole wouldn't be the best choice.
Byte & Barq: They're a gimmicky character in their own game, so they'd have two gimmicks on top of each other which may break balancing.
Springtron: Would've maybe been a costume/Echo for Spring Man, but without Spring Man, he's not got much going for him.
ARMS 2 Character: It's an interesting concept, but I don't think they'd show the ARMS 1 roster only to announce a sequel.

Spring Man: He's an Assist Trophy and would've already have been revealed if it were him.
Min Min: She's a Spirit, and it's likely the Party Crash Bash didn't actually mean much outside of ARMS itself.
Twintelle: She's a Spirit and doesn't fight with her arms, misrepresenting the series.
Alternate Costume Characters: [laughs] Come on, if you know anything about ARMS, you know how different the characters' body types and abilities are, and the only few that could much this concept are already Spirits. I know this theory only happened because they showed the whole roster, but guaranteed, it's not happening.
I mostly agree with you , however, it just seems insane to decline the most popular characters just because of a few fancy PNGs.
I guess we'll know soon enough but let's not forget that the "spirits deconfirm characters" is just a fan rule, a fan rule that hasn't yet been disproven, yes, but still a fan rule nonetheless.

Though i'd like it to be true since my most wanted ARMS rep is Lola Pop.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Not sure why you think .pngs can prevent a character from showing up when 3D models didn't contain Lucas and Mewtwo in Smash4 but I agree that Helix is one that people are sleeping on.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I mostly agree with you , however, it just seems insane to decline the most popular characters just because of a few fancy PNGs.
I guess we'll know soon enough but let's not forget that the "spirits deconfirm characters" is just a fan rule, a fan rule that hasn't yet been disproven, yes, but still a fan rule nonetheless.

Though i'd like it to be true since my most wanted ARMS rep is Lola Pop.
Not sure why you think .pngs can prevent a character from showing up when 3D models didn't contain Lucas and Mewtwo in Smash4 but I agree that Helix is one that people are sleeping on.
One thing that never gets taken into account is the function Spirits serve.
While Spirits may be a replacement for Trophies, Trophies did not have any baring on gameplay where Primary and Support Spirits do.
Fighter Spirits act like Trophies in terms of function, but with Primaries and Supports they're more like Stickers in Brawl - they're equipment. When you add together the gameplay bonuses and abilities, not to mention their place in World of Light, you end up with a very significant piece of equipment that I doubt can be replaced or changed. So it's not "just a png."
The only way to avoid that would be to make another Spirit with their Fighter render like Lucas and Mewtwo got two Trophies, but considering they didn't add Piranha Plant or Byleth Spirits when it would've been easy to do so, I think that's a scenario they're trying to avoid repeating.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

max isnt a villain

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing that never gets taken into account is the function Spirits serve.
While Spirits may be a replacement for Trophies, Trophies did not have any baring on gameplay where Primary and Support Spirits do.
Fighter Spirits act like Trophies in terms of function, but with Primaries and Supports they're more like Stickers in Brawl - they're equipment. When you add together the gameplay bonuses and abilities, not to mention their place in World of Light, you end up with a very significant piece of equipment that I doubt can be replaced or changed. So it's not "just a png."
The only way to avoid that would be to make another Spirit with their Fighter render like Lucas and Mewtwo got two Trophies, but considering they didn't add Piranha Plant or Byleth Spirits when it would've been easy to do so, I think that's a scenario they're trying to avoid repeating.
It's not like there's only one set of artwork for them to use. They made a ton of hand-drawn stuff for advertising. and if it's a Spring Man/Ribbon Girl combination, they can use the render from the boxart.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
It's not like there's only one set of artwork for them to use. They made a ton of hand-drawn stuff for advertising. and if it's a Spring Man/Ribbon Girl combination, they can use the render from the boxart.
It's never a question of how many renders there are, of course the resources exist to make this possible, but like I said with Plant and Byleth, it doesn't seem likely they'll go through with using someone who's being used already.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's never a question of how many renders there are, of course the resources exist to make this possible, but like I said with Plant and Byleth, it doesn't seem likely they'll go through with using someone who's being used already.
Why would Byleth have had a spirit though? His game wasn't out when the base game came out and by the time it was out, Byleth was already being made, and any FETH spirits were held off on until his dlc wave.

As far as Piranha Plant, plenty of Mario mooks didn't have spirits. But either way, Plant was already planned when base game came out, so why add a spirit ahead of time?

The spirits deconfirm argument was a real debate in FP1 because the idea was that they'd have held off on adding spirits of characters already planned. Now that we're in FP2, and the characters weren't planned until long after Ultimate came out, the idea that spirits still deconfirm is asanine.

Who gives a flying **** if it affects gameplay? Final smashes affect gameplay yet Chrom got in. That alone proves a character can be playable despite other roles. And when they can just add another spirit that says "character name (fighter spirit)" using different artwork or even just the smash render, it doesn't even matter at all. They already went back and changed spirit names when Byleth came out, so there's precedent.

I'm sorry, but there's simply no logical way to justify spirits deconfirming at this point. It's just another fan rule, and it's most likely going to be broken, just like every other fan rule, once the ARMS character comes out.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why would Byleth have had a spirit though? His game wasn't out when the base game came out and by the time it was out, Byleth was already being made, and any FETH spirits were held off on until his dlc wave.

As far as Piranha Plant, plenty of Mario mooks didn't have spirits. But either way, Plant was already planned when base game came out, so why add a spirit ahead of time?

The spirits deconfirm argument was a real debate in FP1 because the idea was that they'd have held off on adding spirits of characters already planned. Now that we're in FP2, and the characters weren't planned until long after Ultimate came out, the idea that spirits still deconfirm is asanine.

Who gives a flying **** if it affects gameplay? Final smashes affect gameplay yet Chrom got in. That alone proves a character can be playable despite other roles. And when they can just add another spirit that says "character name (fighter spirit)" using different artwork or even just the smash render, it doesn't even matter at all. They already went back and changed spirit names when Byleth came out, so there's precedent.

I'm sorry, but there's simply no logical way to justify spirits deconfirming at this point. It's just another fan rule, and it's most likely going to be broken, just like every other fan rule, once the ARMS character comes out.
Before Three Houses, the Cuphead spirits (specifically the Devil) also caused a name change for other spirits, and would actually modify the battles themselves depending on whether or not you got Cuphead's Mii costume.

amageish

Smash Master
Not saying that it's happening or that I especially want it, but I don't think this is as laughable as you make it seem. When jump and smash aren't real Monado arts, Ness/Lucas use almost exclusively moves they don't learn, Richter and Simon have composite moveset, and Byleth is running around with all four holy relics... I'm not sure that ARMS characters losing their canon abilities in favour of a more general ARMS moveset is, like, some radical weird thing for Smash to do.

It'd be a bit weirder as ARMS is a fighting game series and you'd maybe expect a fighting game moveset to have a more literal/accurate transition into Smash, but it's still Smash Bros and they always play around to some extent.

Top Bottom