• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zferolie

Smash Hero
Considering how much overreacting happens when shipping is brought up in the Shantae thread, it's best not to do that anyways, yeah.

Although I do find the theories about Max Brass, Coyle and Spring Man being related to each other to be...interesting, even though it's not immediately making sense.
They get upset at the yuri ships the most sadly. Those are the most fun.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering how much overreacting happens when shipping is brought up in the Shantae thread, it's best not to do that anyways, yeah.

Although I do find the theories about Max Brass, Coyle and Spring Man being related to each other to be...interesting, even though it's not immediately making sense.
oof i dread to think what its like

i can see why people would think that

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, here's a fun possibility.

Do you think the ARMS fighter could have an unusual base? Like Lola Pop making use of King Dedede, for example.

oof i dread to think what its like

i can see why people would think that
Basically, it's just "what if Spring Man is Brass and Coyle's son?". I mean, the latter two used to be friends, so I can see why some would think that.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Do you think the ARMS fighter could have an unusual base? Like Lola Pop making use of King Dedede, for example.

Basically, it's just "what if Spring Man is Brass and Coyle's son?". I mean, the latter two used to be friends, so I can see why some would think that.
I could see Helix being based off Yoshi.

amageish

Smash Master

Ribbon Girl = Corrin. Big Jump and Corrin's once-upon-a-time-the-longest-distance-attack is kind of ribbony?
Ninjara = Sheik or Greninja or Joker... Duh. wait is this where the ponytail file went
Twintelle = Bayonetta

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Why would Sakurai putting in a SM AT count as ARMs promotion investment to the ARMs team?
I know people here like to pretend that Assist trophies are equivalent to killing your dog, but they not. They're there as either cut cameos or at promotional material. That's why they added the mascot. To show off the face of this new game.

Did you read the part where I point to Pokemon: Pocket Monsters manga?
Irrelevant considering Pikachu is still shoehorned into a main character role due to his mascot status

I have given you examples of games shifting spotlights.
You said Darkstalkers; which is wrong. The first game didn't actually have a central mascot but the promotional media without question prioritized Morrigan. That priority on her only grew over time.

If you don't think it will happen that's your opinion.
But you can't see the future, and it has happened before ... and it's clear as a day in May that there are a number of characters more popular than him.
Glad that you apparently realize that regardless of what you think of mascots SM isn't a lock for the spot though.
Sounds like you just don't like the mascot of ARMS? I don't see why he would trigger you so intensely but whatever. Seems you have some kind of distorted view where you think "fan demand" can control the marketing direction a franchise takes. That's not how it works.

Complaining about Spring Man as a mascot is like complaining about Pikachu as a mascot. It's not gonna change lol

Koopaul

Smash Champion
While its true that the mascot can change, I feel like the people who suggest this just hate Spring Man.

From a design perspect Spring Man is a perfect representation of ARMS. You take one look at the character and know exactly what the nature of his game is all about. Either way, it's been established that Spring Man is a title that is passed down. So future games will proabably have future Spring Men. It seems like they set things up ahead of time so that Spring Man will be eternal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just a reminder, being realistic is one thing, but try not to set yourself up to be proven wrong later. A lot of people were bamboozled when it turned out that Isabelle wasn't too pacifistic to fight in Smash. And Ultimate got DLC. And got more than one Fighter Pass. Among other things.

So if anything radical happens when the ARMS fighter is finally revealed in the next two months, don't act surprised if your assumption gets proven wrong.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's fine to have educated theories because I certainly do. But I always acknowledge that anything could happen and that I could be wrong. I was almost certain that every fighter in Fighter Pass 1 would be from a new series that doesn't already have a fighter. And then we got Byleth.

That being said. This discussion about Spring Man being the mascot is a different topic from who's going to be in Smash. Maybe Spring Man gets in Smash but the ARMS series changes the mascot to Min Min. Maybe Min Min gets in Smash but the ARMS series continues to use Spring Man as their go to guy. These are two different games and what they decide to do aren't related.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's fine to have educated theories because I certainly do. But I always acknowledge that anything could happen and that I could be wrong. I was almost certain that every fighter in Fighter Pass 1 would be from a new series that doesn't already have a fighter. And then we got Byleth.

That being said. This discussion about Spring Man being the mascot is a different topic from who's going to be in Smash. Maybe Spring Man gets in Smash but the ARMS series changes the mascot to Min Min. Maybe Min Min gets in Smash but the ARMS series continues to use Spring Man as their go to guy. These are two different games and what they decide to do aren't related.
True. Although we should keep in mind that one could potentially influence the other. Granted, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but it's a possibility none the less.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
People like to pretend otherwise, but Smash doesn't have the power to dictate an entire franchise's direction.
Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply it would the WHOLE franchise. Rather, it could influence minor things, like certain character traits and whatnot. Though again, I can't think of anything specific.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply it would the WHOLE franchise. Rather, it could influence minor things, like certain character traits and whatnot. Though again, I can't think of anything specific.
well jr seems to have been in the koopa clown car more often since smash

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I've seen some influences here and there. More often than not Smash influences how the general public see these characters. Wario has gotten this reputation that he's all about farts even though, outside of Smash, he's only farted in a game 4 times. Ever.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Koopaul Koopaul

This is true- I know Jigglypuff, while a Balloon, never was seen aerial before Smash.

I preface by stating that I am not a computer graphic artist, I'm not a game engineer-
But I think that the joints/body type/skeleton of the ARMS character would require them to be completely unique.

I could see just about any ARMS character being used for another ARMS character, though.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

i didnt say he hadnt been in it before i said it happened more often
Did it though? I'm counting the appearances on the wiki page and seems the junior clown car became permanently established with Jr. waaay before Smash 3DS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did it though? I'm counting the appearances on the wiki page and seems the junior clown car became permanently established with Jr. waaay before Smash 3DS.
there a difference between regular appearances for boss fights and him being in it for everything

amageish

Smash Master
While its true that the mascot can change, I feel like the people who suggest this just hate Spring Man.

From a design perspect Spring Man is a perfect representation of ARMS. You take one look at the character and know exactly what the nature of his game is all about. Either way, it's been established that Spring Man is a title that is passed down. So future games will proabably have future Spring Men. It seems like they set things up ahead of time so that Spring Man will be eternal.
Yeah, I do wonder if we'll get to see multiple Spring Men in future games. Bring about a Noob Saibot situation by having the next game's Spring Man not be the first game's Spring Man, with the original spring man now fighting with an edgy costume under the name Ikubay Awakishi (that was a joke; I'd hope they would have a better name).

As for the mascot debate in general, I'd be personally expect future ARMS games to advertise themselves more with an ensemble cast. I'm imagining future boxarts will be more like Min Min's victory art, with as many fighters squished onto the cover as possible. There are a lot of characters who have become recognizable online for a variety of reasons, so it'd be a pity to not capitalize on that by showing off a multitude of them. That said, when you boot up the game and get to the character select screen, I'd expect them to still have the most-accessible/least-gimmicky be the one you start on by default. For now, that's Spring Man.

SwitchButton

there a difference between regular appearances for boss fights and him being in it for everything
Right, and both of these were established before Smash. Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Mario Party, and NSMB all had Jr. in the clown car Jr as a part of his character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we assume Bowser Jr. was chosen in 2012, then Sakurai was one of the first people to implement the Clown Car after its debut in NSMB Wii.

NSMB U might have influenced his decision, but Jr. still wasn't seen inside the Clown Car very much until after Smash.

SwitchButton

If we assume Bowser Jr. was chosen in 2012, then Sakurai was one of the first people to implement the Clown Car after its debut in NSMB Wii.

NSMB U might have influenced his decision, but Jr. still wasn't seen inside the Clown Car very much until after Smash.
By that logic we need to push back every pre-smash Clown Car appearance to their development dates as well, so that changes nothing. The bottom line is that Bowser Jr's signature vehicle was established and distributed among Mario's various spinoff franchises LONG before Smash added him. It's not a Smash invention.

Dukefire

Smash Master
IDK if you do know, but for Min Min. Did you know that her family's noodle restaurant is called Mintendo Noodle House?

SwitchButton

Just had a thought. Dr. Coyle is a punk-metal rockstar style character right? Well isn't that also the case for the new "mascot" pokemon? The toxic type frog fellow from Sword/Shield?

Imagine if they shared a hardcore punk metal style reveal trailer. That would be sick.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
By that logic we need to push back every pre-smash Clown Car appearance to their development dates as well, so that changes nothing. The bottom line is that Bowser Jr's signature vehicle was established and distributed among Mario's various spinoff franchises LONG before Smash added him. It's not a Smash invention.
nobody said it was a smash invention, said he appeared in it more often after smash

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To clear things up, Bowser Jr was in the Clown Car before Smash but it wasn't his defining gimmick in most games before Smash (and subsequently his amiibo) codified it as such. Before then his gimmick was squarely the magic paint brush (and in the Mario Strikers series, screaming).

It's not the first time it's happened either as Yoshi couldn't freely seal himself in an egg to roll and Bowser wasn't seen to retract into his shell before Melee.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To clear things up, Bowser Jr was in the Clown Car before Smash but it wasn't his defining gimmick in most games before Smash (and subsequently his amiibo) codified it as such. Before then his gimmick was squarely the magic paint brush (and in the Mario Strikers series, screaming).

It's not the first time it's happened either as Yoshi couldn't freely seal himself in an egg to roll and Bowser wasn't seen to retract into his shell before Melee.
Adding to that, I can list several things that influenced later Kirby games after Melee.

- Amazing Mirror had Master Hand as a mini-boss, and had a new ability that allowed you to use special moves from Smash.
- Entries from Return to Dream Land onwards gave Kirby some standard Smash mechanics in his regular moveset, namely air dodging and shield dodges.
- Triple Deluxe had a mini-game called Kirby Fighters (later getting a standalone Deluxe edition), which was basically Smash lite.

While Smash isn't all-encompassing, it doesn't just exist in its own vacuum either.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Adding to that, I can list several things that influenced later Kirby games after Melee.

- Amazing Mirror had Master Hand as a mini-boss, and had a new ability that allowed you to use special moves from Smash.
- Entries from Return to Dream Land onwards gave Kirby some standard Smash mechanics in his regular moveset, namely air dodging and shield dodges.
- Triple Deluxe had a mini-game called Kirby Fighters (later getting a standalone Deluxe edition), which was basically Smash lite.

While Smash isn't all-encompassing, it doesn't just exist in its own vacuum either.
Smash Wiki has a whole page dedicated to it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion

By the DS and Wii era, Bowser Jr had pretty much abandoned his paintbrush. NSMB had him toss shells and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 had him control mechas and ships. NSMB Wii put him in the Clown Car. He then used it again in Mario Party 9 and in Sticker Star. And finally, NSMBU gave him the Clown Car with the boxing gloves. I think Bowser Jr was on his way to be the the Clown Car rider with or without Smash.

SwitchButton

Bowser Jr was in the Clown Car before Smash but it wasn't his defining gimmick
It was clear that it had been decided before Smash. In multiple games pre-Smash he spends literally the entire game in the clown car, like Mario Party 9 or Paper Mario Sticker Star.
Whoever writes the Mario bible decided that Jr. was going to be permanently associated with riding in his car. This simply spread to Smash the same way it spread to Paper Mario or the like. Smash had absolutely no influence in it becoming a part of his character

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, would the final smash for the ARMS rep be their supers from the game or something more intense?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One last thing on the topic of the Smash Effect; maybe it's me, but I've noticed a fair bit of ARMS fan art come up more often ever since the Mini-Direct happened. All that without knowing who's coming.

So, would the final smash for the ARMS rep be their supers from the game or something more intense?
I guess it would be the former, since we've yet to get anyone from a pure Nintendo fighting game unrelated to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The supers seem a bit basic tbh

So I'm thinking either
A. Hedlok
B. A Hero style cinematic where the rest of the ARMS cast helps out

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I still think the best final smashes for the ARMS rep is either.

A. Headlok cinematic

B. They use their flurry rush, the opponent gets stunned and then the ARMS character grabs the opponent and dunks them in a basketball hoop.

It would be boring if it was just the standard ARMS flurry rush as the final smash it would be too similar to DK's and Little Mac's final smashes.

Top Bottom