• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Why would Byleth have had a spirit though? His game wasn't out when the base game came out and by the time it was out, Byleth was already being made, and any FETH spirits were held off on until his dlc wave.

As far as Piranha Plant, plenty of Mario mooks didn't have spirits. But either way, Plant was already planned when base game came out, so why add a spirit ahead of time?

The spirits deconfirm argument was a real debate in FP1 because the idea was that they'd have held off on adding spirits of characters already planned. Now that we're in FP2, and the characters weren't planned until long after Ultimate came out, the idea that spirits still deconfirm is asanine.

Who gives a flying **** if it affects gameplay? Final smashes affect gameplay yet Chrom got in. That alone proves a character can be playable despite other roles. And when they can just add another spirit that says "character name (fighter spirit)" using different artwork or even just the smash render, it doesn't even matter at all. They already went back and changed spirit names when Byleth came out, so there's precedent.

I'm sorry, but there's simply no logical way to justify spirits deconfirming at this point. It's just another fan rule, and it's most likely going to be broken, just like every other fan rule, once the ARMS character comes out.
I can't believe I'm having to repeat these points, but here we are.

Byleth's Spirit could have been added when Three Houses was released. much like Pokemon SWSH, however they perposefully avoided adding a regular Spirit and changing it later, which they could have done. This is an example of them avoiding overlap between who's a Fighter and who's a Spirit.

The Plant question is exactly my point. WHY aren't they just putting regular Spirits in then changing them? What's stopping them? It's entirely possible to do that if they're "just pngs" or if "Nintendo can change what they want" but. They. Don't.

Chrom in Robin's Final Smash is likely the result of porting over assets, since we know multiple assets were carried over from Smash 4.
Evidently Sakurai's team cares if Spirits affect gameplay because they haven't done it! Changing a Spirit's name doesn't prove anything since it's literally just text and the Spirit Battle doesn't prove anything because that's the method of GETTING the Spirit, not the effect of the Spirit itself!

Yes, they CAN add a separate Fighter Spirit, they always COULD have, but they DIDN'T and it's very clear looking at the development cycle that. They. WON'T.

Not saying that it's happening or that I especially want it, but I don't think this is as laughable as you make it seem. When jump and smash aren't real Monado arts, Ness/Lucas use almost exclusively moves they don't learn, Richter and Simon have composite moveset, and Byleth is running around with all four holy relics... I'm not sure that ARMS characters losing their canon abilities in favour of a more general ARMS moveset is, like, some radical weird thing for Smash to do.

It'd be a bit weirder as ARMS is a fighting game series and you'd maybe expect a fighting game moveset to have a more literal/accurate transition into Smash, but it's still Smash Bros and they always play around to some extent.
Might I refer you to my comments on Dr. Coyle?
her moveset could incorporate other character's arms without feeling out of character, since she gave herself the Arms ability

amageish

Smash Master
Might I refer you to my comments on Dr. Coyle?
You can, but that wasn't really my point? My point was that Smash does things that do feel out of character. Coyle being a composite character is a fun idea that could fit with psuedo-canon (similar to the "Sothis gave Byleth the holy relics, so that's how they have them!" thing we had last trailer), but not really my point. If they wanted to make an ARMS character like Hero or Koopalings, I don't think they'd let a pesky thing like "canon proprieties" stop them.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
You can, but that wasn't really my point? My point was that Smash does things that do feel out of character. Coyle being a composite character is a fun idea that could fit with psuedo-canon (similar to the "Sothis gave Byleth the holy relics, so that's how they have them!" thing we had last trailer), but not really my point. If they wanted to make an ARMS character like Hero or Koopalings, I don't think they'd let a pesky thing like "canon proprieties" stop them.
They've been getting better at it recently, but in all truth they kinda already have a few characters' abilities in there.
Blocking and Parrying is similar to Spring Man's wave.
Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps, so that's a given for any character they choose.
Kid Cobra's dash is kinda in there as dodging and such.
The parry specifically is also similar to Twintelle's ability, giving a player a frame advantage.
So in a way, they will have multiple characters' abilities by default unless they do something REALLY weird with it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'mma just get my ratings of likelihood out.

Characters who have a high chance:
Helix: Possibly the most familiar face outside of the mascots. Helix's movement and general demeanour are very thematically fitting to Smash, he has great mobility options and a good stage to boot. He also plays major roles in side modes.
Max Brass: The main villain is ARMS, so anyone who's played will know him, and he's the driving force behind the tournament as a whole. He may also be able to switch between a light and heavy movement style, giving him advantage over the ARMS heavyweights. It also makes sense to have a main villain, since the main hero is an Assist.
Dr. Coyle: Shares some of her reasons with Max Brass. She's a very important character to ARMS as a whole, inventing Helix, Lokjaw and Springtron, her moveset could incorporate other character's arms without feeling out of character, since she gave herself the Arms ability, and if we take Bayonetta's texture changing glitch into consideration, Coyle is the ONLY character who changes texture in battle due to her invisibility. I'd give her front running. honestly.

Characters with a medium chance:
Kid Cobra: He's very vanilla as far as Arms goes, but his mobility gives him an edge where Smash is concerned. His stage would also be interesting.
Lola Pop: She's got the feeling of Smash down and a plausible blocking move, but she's not too unique otherwise.

Characters with a low chance:
Master Mummy: Having a heavyweight represent ARMS as a whole wouldn't be the best choice.
Mechanica: Same reason as Master Mummy.
Byte & Barq: They're a gimmicky character in their own game, so they'd have two gimmicks on top of each other which may break balancing.
Misango: Honestly, most people don't even remember he exists.
Springtron: Would've maybe been a costume/Echo for Spring Man, but without Spring Man, he's not got much going for him.
ARMS 2 Character: It's an interesting concept, but I don't think they'd show the ARMS 1 roster only to announce a sequel.

Characters with no chance:
Spring Man: He's an Assist Trophy and would've already have been revealed if it were him.
Ribbon Girl: She's a Spirit.
Ninjara: He's a Spirit.
Min Min: She's a Spirit, and it's likely the Party Crash Bash didn't actually mean much outside of ARMS itself.
Twintelle: She's a Spirit and doesn't fight with her arms, misrepresenting the series.
Biff: He's just the announcer, not much here to work with.
Lokjaw: He's better suited to a cameo in a Final Smash.
Alternate Costume Characters: [laughs] Come on, if you know anything about ARMS, you know how different the characters' body types and abilities are, and the only few that could much this concept are already Spirits. I know this theory only happened because they showed the whole roster, but guaranteed, it's not happening.
This is what dogmatism looks like, kids.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Smash fans were more familiar with SNK when the copyright leaked, would there be people saying that the rep has to be Tung Fu Rue because he trained Terry and Geese? Because that's what picking someone "important to the lore" over the main protagonist feels like to me.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Smash doesnt do things out of character, at worst it stretches things to "plausible". Magic spells are learned abilities. Paula and Poo teaching Ness is at least plausible to the point where it isn't out of character. Same for weapons.

The ARMS characters abilities are physical skills or outright biological quirks that can't be shared with other characters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think a question we haven't asked yet regarding the ARMS rep is how said rep will handle swimming

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
The ARMS characters abilities are physical skills or outright biological quirks that can't be shared with other characters.
Not really, all the second generation could get most of the abilities because of "technological updates" (Byte and Barq, Mechanica, Dr. Coyle, Helix, Springtron) everyone else "could" learn Ninjara's ability in the Ninja College, Missango could command his spirit friend to help the other fighters and everyone will have Ribbon Girl's ability anyway (which shouldn't be possible as ribbon is super light). The only one i think wouldn't make sense at all is Twintelle's and Lola Pop's but i guess most abilities would be "plausible" depending on the fighter, even if it is out of character. (i just can't see others doing Ninjara's teleport or having Missango's spirit with them)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we're all underestimating how a moveset with just the "default" set of abilities would work.

They might not even have to use any of the character's specific gimmicks.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Sakurai usually loves gimmicks for DLC fighters. Hedlock makes the most sense. He'd grab you and the then let loose a flurry of punches followed by spitting a giant explosive energy ball. It doesn't need to be a cinematic either. It could happen on the stage like DK's or Little Mac's FS.
On the topic of which character- I can damn near guarantee that it will not be Hedlock. When choosing an ARMS character to represent the game, the only way it promotes the game is to give a general sample of what the game is actually like. A character with extra ARMS does not showcase the true game.

If Smash fans were more familiar with SNK when the copyright leaked, would there be people saying that the rep has to be Tung Fu Rue because he trained Terry and Geese? Because that's what picking someone "important to the lore" over the main protagonist feels like to me.
The 'main protagonist' is often not the featured character of a fighting game. Let's look at some major fighting games.

Street Fighter- yes. Ryu, the main protagonist, is the face.
Mortal Kombat- the face of the series is Scorpion. The protagonist is Liu Kang. Scorpion is the only one that gets featured nowadays, and occasinally Sub Zero.
Soul Calibre- The main villain, Nightmare, is the face of the series- he is even in the logo.
Tekken- The protagonist is not the main character. The main character is Heihachi, the series main villain.
Dead or Alive- I honestly don't know the characters of this game well enough. So I will not comment upon it.

I repeat- a character based game like ARMS is unlikely to be forced to use the protagonist as the character mascot. The likely character mascot is the one that is most popular. This emerges over time. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were on the cover because the game had to be marketed for the FIRST TIME EVER. The gimmick had to be explained to people at a swift glance. Parents had to be able to look at the cover and say 'hey, that looks cool.' This is marketing. It has nothing to do with the character who will ultimately become the main character. I HIGHLY anticipate the next game to feature Twintelle and Min Min on the cover, as they are generally seen as the favorites, and quite honestly, greatly supported characters representing East and West- even in blatant stereotype.

One last thing on the topic of the Smash Effect; maybe it's me, but I've noticed a fair bit of ARMS fan art come up more often ever since the Mini-Direct happened. All that without knowing who's coming.
I guess it would be the former, since we've yet to get anyone from a pure Nintendo fighting game unrelated to Smash Bros.
I think that's the point.

The speculation on which character is getting in boosts the chatter and research into each character.

Yes, they CAN add a separate Fighter Spirit, they always COULD have, but they DIDN'T and it's very clear looking at the development cycle that. They. WON'T.
Welcome to Fighter Pass 2- here to make all alleged points of yours void.
Aren't we over these silly, nonsensical, fan crafted theories of irrelevance?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'mma just get my ratings of likelihood out.

Characters who have a high chance:
Helix: Possibly the most familiar face outside of the mascots. Helix's movement and general demeanour are very thematically fitting to Smash, he has great mobility options and a good stage to boot. He also plays major roles in side modes.
Max Brass: The main villain is ARMS, so anyone who's played will know him, and he's the driving force behind the tournament as a whole. He may also be able to switch between a light and heavy movement style, giving him advantage over the ARMS heavyweights. It also makes sense to have a main villain, since the main hero is an Assist.
Dr. Coyle: Shares some of her reasons with Max Brass. She's a very important character to ARMS as a whole, inventing Helix, Lokjaw and Springtron, her moveset could incorporate other character's arms without feeling out of character, since she gave herself the Arms ability, and if we take Bayonetta's texture changing glitch into consideration, Coyle is the ONLY character who changes texture in battle due to her invisibility. I'd give her front running. honestly.

Characters with a medium chance:
Kid Cobra: He's very vanilla as far as Arms goes, but his mobility gives him an edge where Smash is concerned. His stage would also be interesting.
Lola Pop: She's got the feeling of Smash down and a plausible blocking move, but she's not too unique otherwise.

Characters with a low chance:
Master Mummy: Having a heavyweight represent ARMS as a whole wouldn't be the best choice.
Mechanica: Same reason as Master Mummy.
Byte & Barq: They're a gimmicky character in their own game, so they'd have two gimmicks on top of each other which may break balancing.
Misango: Honestly, most people don't even remember he exists.
Springtron: Would've maybe been a costume/Echo for Spring Man, but without Spring Man, he's not got much going for him.
ARMS 2 Character: It's an interesting concept, but I don't think they'd show the ARMS 1 roster only to announce a sequel.

Characters with no chance:
Spring Man: He's an Assist Trophy and would've already have been revealed if it were him.
Ribbon Girl: She's a Spirit.
Ninjara: He's a Spirit.
Min Min: She's a Spirit, and it's likely the Party Crash Bash didn't actually mean much outside of ARMS itself.
Twintelle: She's a Spirit and doesn't fight with her arms, misrepresenting the series.
Biff: He's just the announcer, not much here to work with.
Lokjaw: He's better suited to a cameo in a Final Smash.
Alternate Costume Characters: [laughs] Come on, if you know anything about ARMS, you know how different the characters' body types and abilities are, and the only few that could much this concept are already Spirits. I know this theory only happened because they showed the whole roster, but guaranteed, it's not happening.

Im sick and tired of this stupid ****ing spirits deconfirm bull. Keep that talk out of here. It kills all speculation, starts fights, and is unhelpful in all ways. Untill sakurai or Nintendo say they deconfirm, then they are open. End of story. Stop making your own dumb fan rules, as this second dlc nothing we saw happen in the first round matters.

As for your high chance, max brass has literally no screentime outside of the game so its one of those litterally who situarions for non arms players. I hate that argument but they want people to like arms amd be excoted for this rep. Helix i can see happening but honestly hes middle of the road. The only non spirit(who you put all at no chance for reasons i mentioned above are dumb), is Dr Coyle as she is the main villain and i can see Sakurai breaking the trend starting with the villain.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Not really, all the second generation could get most of the abilities because of "technological updates" (Byte and Barq, Mechanica, Dr. Coyle, Helix, Springtron) everyone else "could" learn Ninjara's ability in the Ninja College, Missango could command his spirit friend to help the other fighters and everyone will have Ribbon Girl's ability anyway (which shouldn't be possible as ribbon is super light). The only one i think wouldn't make sense at all is Twintelle's and Lola Pop's but i guess most abilities would be "plausible" depending on the fighter, even if it is out of character. (i just can't see others doing Ninjara's teleport or having Missango's spirit with them)
All of this goes way too beyond the realm of plausibility. There's a difference between "magic boy learned magic spell" and "new york bruiser goes to japan to learn ninja teleportation despite it breaking character"

It is not possible for a character to act out of character in smash. Even if they're modified to fit smash they MUST still be themselves.this is what makes ARMS fighters as alt costumes completely impossible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only surefire thing that'll happen is that some people will end up having egg on their faces when the ARMS fighter shows up, and right now, we don't know who, I just want these next couple months to go by quickly so that we can just move on already.

Until then I'm off from this thread, since constructive topics to talk about have pretty much run out.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

The only surefire thing that'll happen is that some people will end up having egg on their faces when the ARMS fighter shows up, and right now, we don't know who, I just want these next couple months to go by quickly so that we can just move on already.

Until then I'm off from this thread, since constructive topics to talk about have pretty much run out.
Egg on their face because they guessed incorrectly? Seems a bit nonsensical, dont you think?

Remember guys; theres no such thing as a wrong guess. Every theory is valid because the outcome is impossible to verify. It's a schrodinger's cat situation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Egg on their face because they guessed incorrectly? Seems a bit nonsensical, dont you think?

Remember guys; theres no such thing as a wrong guess. Every theory is valid because the outcome is impossible to verify. It's a schrodinger's cat situation.
Yes, I know, but loudly dying on a hill until something disproves them doesn't seem worth it if they're getting too passionate about it. Testing friendships on here just because people don't want their Smash dreams broken, or can get a bit unreasonable with "not expecting anything good and being realistic".

Although the genuine haters definitely embarrass themselves when their subject of hatred gets in anyway.

At any rate, this is among the most civil and reasonable support threads I've been in, even though it's already going in circles.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looked back at my old E3 Countdown (for it was something that once existed) and if Nintendo is going to do their direct at the same time they would have, it'll be 56 days away.

That might be how long we're waiting for any news, assuming no extra delays.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Im sick and tired of this stupid ****ing spirits deconfirm bull. Keep that talk out of here. It kills all speculation, starts fights, and is unhelpful in all ways. Untill sakurai or Nintendo say they deconfirm, then they are open. End of story. Stop making your own dumb fan rules, as this second dlc nothing we saw happen in the first round matters.
I'm sick and tired of this stupid ****ing spirits don't matter bull. Keep that talk out of here. It encourages false hope, starts harassment of Sakurai, and is unhelpful in all ways. Until Sakurai or Nintendo say they can be fighters, then they are closed. End of story. Stop making your own dumb fan rules, as this second dlc nothing we saw happen in the first round matters.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm sick and tired of this stupid ****ing spirits don't matter bull. Keep that talk out of here. It encourages false hope, starts harassment of Sakurai, and is unhelpful in all ways. Until Sakurai or Nintendo say they can be fighters, then they are closed. End of story. Stop making your own dumb fan rules, as this second dlc nothing we saw happen in the first round matters.
Touche. It can be either way i suppose. Still, i wrote that early when i was angry about soke irl junk, and came off more angry then intended.

Really, what we need ins sakurai to just say for sure the future of spirita. Getting tired of this back and forth and we need an answer, to stop this argument.

Either this ARMS fighter is a spirit, or sakurai should tell us that no spirits are being upgraded. Whats so hard about that? It keeps peoples expectations in check, and has people wondering who it can be.

Staarih

Smash Master
It’s just best to not get too worked up about it all. Speculation is fun and it’s good to cover all possibilities, but to get too passionate about it is not worth it. Easier said than done, I guess, when the topics of discssion begin to run around in circles at this point haha. We’ll be wiser in a few months so patience is all we need, after June it’ll be a clean table of new speculation again.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Touche. It can be either way i suppose. Still, i wrote that early when i was angry about soke irl junk, and came off more angry then intended.

Really, what we need ins sakurai to just say for sure the future of spirita. Getting tired of this back and forth and we need an answer, to stop this argument.

Either this ARMS fighter is a spirit, or sakurai should tell us that no spirits are being upgraded. Whats so hard about that? It keeps peoples expectations in check, and has people wondering who it can be.
Fans can just keep their own expectations in check. A game developer's job isn't telling people to be realistic.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It’s just best to not get too worked up about it all. Speculation is fun and it’s good to cover all possibilities, but to get too passionate about it is not worth it. Easier said than done, I guess, when the topics of discssion begin to run around in circles at this point haha. We’ll be wiser in a few months so patience is all we need, after June it’ll be a clean table of new speculation again.
Indeed. I tend to not let it bother me but this morning i was angry at other things and it seeped into here. I am starting to get tired of all the fighting though, so i am hopeful June helps solidify the state and calms people down... but it wont

Fans can just keep their own expectations in check. A game developer's job isn't telling people to be realistic.
Very true, but the smash community is..... well insane and rabid. I think it may be good to let them know what to expect and not to just expect anything. It would help turn down the have and harrassment sakurai or anyone gets.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

To be honest, I doubt Sakurai or Nintendo will ever put our an official statement on it. This kind of talk does keep the game relevant after all.
At most I can see a small comment being made like "we had to pick a character that wasn't in the game" or "normally we wouldn't change Spirits or Assist Trophies, but this was a special request." That kind of thing.

I say Spirits are out mainly because their actions haven't said otherwise, and the decisions they make with the game say more than any official statement could, but if the Arms character being a Spirit or not isn't definitive proof of where they stand, then good luck finding something that is.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
On the topic of which character- I can damn near guarantee that it will not be Hedlock. When choosing an ARMS character to represent the game, the only way it promotes the game is to give a general sample of what the game is actually like. A character with extra ARMS does not showcase the true game.

The 'main protagonist' is often not the featured character of a fighting game. Let's look at some major fighting games.

Street Fighter- yes. Ryu, the main protagonist, is the face.
Mortal Kombat- the face of the series is Scorpion. The protagonist is Liu Kang. Scorpion is the only one that gets featured nowadays, and occasinally Sub Zero.
Soul Calibre- The main villain, Nightmare, is the face of the series- he is even in the logo.
Tekken- The protagonist is not the main character. The main character is Heihachi, the series main villain.
Dead or Alive- I honestly don't know the characters of this game well enough. So I will not comment upon it.

I repeat- a character based game like ARMS is unlikely to be forced to use the protagonist as the character mascot. The likely character mascot is the one that is most popular. This emerges over time. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were on the cover because the game had to be marketed for the FIRST TIME EVER. The gimmick had to be explained to people at a swift glance. Parents had to be able to look at the cover and say 'hey, that looks cool.' This is marketing. It has nothing to do with the character who will ultimately become the main character. I HIGHLY anticipate the next game to feature Twintelle and Min Min on the cover, as they are generally seen as the favorites, and quite honestly, greatly supported characters representing East and West- even in blatant stereotype.

I think that's the point.

The speculation on which character is getting in boosts the chatter and research into each character.

Welcome to Fighter Pass 2- here to make all alleged points of yours void.
Aren't we over these silly, nonsensical, fan crafted theories of irrelevance?
I don't know if this affects your statement, but the main character of Dead or Alive is Kasumi, at least since last time I checked.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dead or Alive is a strange case where half the writers try to make Ayane the main character, half try to make it Hyatae and the character designers keep making Kasumi clones in the vain hope they'll have a story written about them.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Dead or Alive is a strange case where half the writers try to make Ayane the main character, half try to make it Hyatae and the character designers keep making Kasumi clones in the vain hope they'll have a story written about them.
This might call for an Echo Fighter or two... or ten.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know if this affects your statement, but the main character of Dead or Alive is Kasumi, at least since last time I checked.
I thought Ayane was the mascot.
I remember the first game at least being about Kasumi, and she's the one I think of when I think Dead or Alive, but it could be a Tekken situation or something.
This might call for an Echo Fighter or two... or ten.
To skew things even further, Hayabusa exclusively shows up in DOA nowadays, so that's four mascots to choose from...

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To skew things even further, Hayabusa exclusively shows up in DOA nowadays, so that's four mascots to choose from...
And then there's Hitomi who's not one of the mascots but is pushed pretty hard nonetheless.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think we should take it to Hayabusa’s thread if we’re gonna derail to DOA mascot discussion.

Anyways, suppose the ARMS fighter is one of the five who are Spirits. What do you think they’ll do for that fighter’s Fighter Spirit?
-Use a different render of that character from ARMS?
-Use their render for Ultimate?
-Use an original piece of artwork by Masaaki Ishikawa?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think we should take it to Hayabusa’s thread if we’re gonna derail to DOA mascot discussion.

Anyways, suppose the ARMS fighter is one of the five who are Spirits. What do you think they’ll do for that fighter’s Fighter Spirit?
The second one, I’d wager. Same for any future Spirit promotions. Either the base spirit will add the game they’re from in parentheses, or the fighter spirit will have (Fighter) appended to it

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'd love the artwork but that's probably the least likely option sadly. Probably the first option.

amageish

Smash Master
I think we're all underestimating how a moveset with just the "default" set of abilities would work.

They might not even have to use any of the character's specific gimmicks.
Yeah, I really do wonder how many ARMS types they will have. Sakurai commented on it being a strategy-based character, so I do wonder if we'll have the down-special rotate between ARMS or something like that. Alternatively, they could just change with different specials... Lots of possiblity for sure.

All of this goes way too beyond the realm of plausibility. There's a difference between "magic boy learned magic spell" and "new york bruiser goes to japan to learn ninja teleportation despite it breaking character"

It is not possible for a character to act out of character in smash. Even if they're modified to fit smash they MUST still be themselves.this is what makes ARMS fighters as alt costumes completely impossible.
Shulk's monado just straight-up has two arts never used in Xenoblade though. And did Simon and Ritcher teach one another moves via time-travel? Who taught Joker how to use eiha without his persona present? Also, if you really think about it, isn't it kind of weird how every single Smash character provides Kirby with a unique transformation based off of them and only them, when enemies in his own game usually genericize to a weapon-related transformation?

This isn't me dunking on Smash or anything - those are all fine changes that I think worked to make the characters more interesting - but they are changes to canon properties. I don't think everyone will poof up like Lola Pop, but if there is a moveset primarily based on using different types of ARMS, then I don't think it'd be too insane to have everyone be able to jump like Ribbon Girl.

I imagine it'd just be like Cloud's fighter spirit with only the Smash design...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Depends on who the Fighter is.

Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and Twintelle all have alternate renders for example.

Top Bottom