• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm pretty sure the ARMS fighter would outrange just about everyone.
I could see the range vary from move to move to give some variety and prevent the entire moveset's range from being balanced with absolutely abysmal frame data, which would honestly not be really all that fun, imo.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I could see the range vary from move to move to give some variety and prevent the entire moveset's range from being balanced with absolutely abysmal frame data, which would honestly not be really all that fun, imo.
I could see the downside of the long range being like DDD's gordos where it's very easy to knock the fists out of the air on longer moves.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

have you guys seen this yet?
I personally think someone tweaked Min Min's ARMS model and posed it in a graphics program before putting on some filters and using the closest text they could find rather than creating it wholesale.

It is possible that it is the real thing but we'll have to see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I personally think someone tweaked Min Min's ARMS model and posed it in a graphics program before putting on some filters and using the closest text they could find rather than creating it wholesale.

It is possible that it is the real thing but we'll have to see.
Didn’t people immediately dismiss the ESRB leak back in the 4 days because of a font difference or something? Just saying it’s possible

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Didn’t people immediately dismiss the ESRB leak back in the 4 days because of a font difference or something? Just saying it’s possible
That's why I'm hedging my bets. It could be the real thing and for whatever reason the font on Min Min's name's a bit skinnier.

Do you think game companies only hire people who don't know how to take a photo of screen? Or do Smash pictures have a blurring effect like Bigfoot?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's why I'm hedging my bets. It could be the real thing and for whatever reason the font on Min Min's name's a bit skinnier.

Do you think game companies only hire people who don't know how to take a photo of screen? Or do Smash pictures have a blurring effect like Bigfoot?
I had an idea: compare the “MIN MIN” with other characters’ victory screens that have any of those letters but shorter names. Maybe even a few Miis whose names are all capital letters too (spacing optional)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To be fair, the ERSB leak was about a game that wasn't released at the time.

This leak is about a game that's been around for a year and a half, so having a font difference is definitely a bigger red flag here.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

have you guys seen this yet?
I just now watched it. I know this is a bit controversial, but I think people are overestimating how much Min Min's popularity helps her chances. Yeah, she won the Party Crash Bash, but we've had several instances where the popular choice is ignored in favor of someone else (Hero instead of Slime, Byleth instead of Edelgard, etc), if not ignored altogether (remember: it took a BALLOT to convince Sakurai to add Ridley and King K. Rool). Then again, I consider myself open-minded, so I'll just wait and see.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I had an idea: compare the “MIN MIN” with other characters’ victory screens that have any of those letters but shorter names. Maybe even a few Miis whose names are all capital letters too (spacing optional)
Alright, let's compare. On the top we have Marth's victory screen. On the bottom, we have the alleged Min Min "leak".
1591369072889.png

1591368790068.png

The letters in the top seem to be bold, whereas it's not the case for on the bottom. Additionally, and, I'm not sure if anyone noticed this, or I don't know if it's just the angle of the bottom picture, but the angle of the text used is different between the two. So, I'm not putting any stock into this one.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even if the popularity thing for Minmin is exaggerated I recall she's one of the producers favorites or something, that being in her favor. At the same time its also said Spring Man is another favorite of said producer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Even if the popularity thing for Minmin is exaggerated I recall she's one of the producers favorites or something, that being in her favor. At the same time its also said Spring Man is another favorite of said producer.
I could see the ARMS team be alright with literally any character because it's clear they put a lot of passion on all of them.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Doesn’t help that the ARMS models are on-par with Smash models, any ARMS character would likely look almost the same in Smash. If it was an older character in need of a new model, I’d be more willing to give a ”leak” like this the time of day. Now, not so much. Min Min could still be the one, surely.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
One thing I've gotta note about that "leak" in question is that it seems to have the victory animation flipped to have Min Min facing the left, in comparison to original animation in ARMS itself which has her face the right. That seems very un-Sakurai to me, he definitely would've kept her facing right. The dude's a man of detail

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Wait, isn't Min-Min's dragon arm her left arm? Why would the dragon head be on her right arm in that case? (I don't see Sakurai doing a character with mirror animations when even Little Mac isn't mirrored just to respect his stance)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, isn't Min-Min's dragon arm her left arm? Why would the dragon head be on her right arm in that case? (I don't see Sakurai doing a character with mirror animations when even Little Mac isn't mirrored just to respect his stance)
The only reason I can think of is interchangeable ARMS. maybe that’s her gimmick

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The only reason I can think of is interchangeable ARMS. maybe that’s her gimmick
Even with that, I see no reason to put a standard glove on her left arm and the dragon head on her right arm. I mean, in Arms it makes sense, but but for a victory pose in Smash? Olimar's victory poses don't reflect the last Pikmins used, for example. Granted, some character don't follow the rules (Little Mac's bruises, Cloud victory theme or just Joker) but even then. I don't see a point, gameplay wise in smash, to give the ability to have a standard glove and the dragon head purposely on the "wrong arms".

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>blurring effect
How many real leaks have we even had that had that? This is a gigantic red flag to me, so much so that it's no longer a flag at all, but a giant neon sign that says "absolutely real".

The Grinch leak is supposed to have taught us not to believe everything with blur in it. Just yet another case of some random wacko capitalising on fan wishes/expectations for e-peen.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not going off subject, but looks like Sakurai can't talk about any games he plays due to the intensity of Smash fan's speculation for DLC. He just can't find a break to express himself during interviews.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i'm pretty sure by flipping it they've not only put the dragon arm in the wrong place but also the gap in her hair

1591373108530.png

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
slightly more interesting is that despite the flip (dragon included, which is just weird and goes against her render depictions) it's not actually just an image flipped and photoshopped in if you look at the logo and orange jacket-bit

1591373952300.png 1591373958022.png

assuming it's fake, the model itself has had a flipped pose applied to it rather than just flipping an image, since the logo on her chest is as it should be in the leak

Icana

Smash Apprentice
slightly more interesting is that despite the flip (dragon included, which is just weird and goes against her render depictions) it's not actually just an image flipped and photoshopped in if you look at the logo and orange jacket-bit

View attachment 273840View attachment 273841

assuming it's fake, the model itself has had a flipped pose applied to it rather than just flipping an image, since the logo on her chest is as it should be in the leak
Her angle is changed too, since above her shoes is now visible, and that Dragon bead thing is under ankle instead of under her foot. Feels like a cross between her official art, and her ARMS in-game pose:

The font is clearly off though:

Also the red tag on her hat looks like it's missing in the "leak" pic.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So either this is some pro in Blender who will spill the beans eventually

or it’s an early development thing that they’ll end up fixing the font later

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That sounds V ERY UNLIKELY. She looks finished! How could the font beearly devoplopment if it's already in the game?
Well, for all we know, this could've been taken when Sakurai was transferring to remote work on Smash DLC because of the pandemic and all that. That's a very brief moment of security vulnerability to leakage, but an opportunity nonetheless.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Except, the font shouldn't change. That should be a steady thing. Simply insert the text and the font should always be the same. It's not like font takes a lot of work. There is little to no reason the font would ever be wrong.

Besides, even if the AT kills Spring Man, it seems odd that they wouldn't go with Ribbon Girl. Yes, yes, Mii Costume, but, come on, how many fighters have those by now?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Except, the font shouldn't change. That should be a steady thing. Simply insert the text and the font should always be the same. It's not like font takes a lot of work. There is little to no reason the font would ever be wrong.
I doubt the text saying MARIO, DONKEY KONG, etc. is even a sprite. It's most likely using the same letter graphics for each fighter, meaning JOKER, HERO, etc. did not require drawing new sprites.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I doubt the text saying MARIO, DONKEY KONG, etc. is even a sprite. It's most likely using the same letter graphics for each fighter, meaning JOKER, HERO, etc. did not require drawing new sprites.
it's impossible for it to be a pre-rendered sprite period when it has to account for mii names, so there's no reason the font should be off

i think it's an interesting attempt at a leak given the new pose referencing the official artwork (as opposed to render) and i still think the fighter will ultimately be min min, but it's weird how for all that effort they didn't even think to just slice out a mii name like mine above

Arthur97

Smash Master
Exactly, it isn't a sprite. It's putting text in there. Now, a few may have special formatting for if it's one or two lines, but for the most part, the programming for the names should be done and just a matter of what text they put in.

Still hoping for one of the mascots myself.
Here's another thing to consider:

If this is a leak, then how come this schmo hasn't been nuked to hell and back by the ninjas yet? Especially since Sak has tighter security on first party fighters.
Seems kind of odd that security would be tighter on those. At the same time, I suppose it might be easier to keep a tight lid on something like that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Here's another thing to consider:

If this is a leak, then how come this schmo hasn't been nuked to hell and back by the ninjas yet? Especially since Sak has tighter security on first party fighters.
If it's from 4chan, there's nothing Sakurai can do due to the completly anonymous nature of the website.

It's why the Ken leak had so much traction. It couldn't be stopped as easily.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it's from 4chan, there's nothing Sakurai can do due to the completly anonymous nature of the website.

At least that leak wasn't blurry at all, the only thing that was questioned was Ken's design. Also, it was real.

If the latest leak is real, then it should have no hesitation to be shown unblurred, yet it's not. Also, even unblurred fake leaks still feel off somehow, like the Agnès "leak".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Also, the 4chan images of the ESRB weren’t taken down. Only the videos which were on YouTube

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, the "leak" might have been bought more easily by people if it was posted three months ago (when we didn't know ARMS was coming), rather than literally one week or so before the official news. At this stage, it might end up being a lucky guess, and that's a big if.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, the 4chan images of the ESRB weren’t taken down. Only the videos which were on YouTube
They WERE taken dow, but only because 4chan always delete posts over time, so it was taken by natural causes.

4chan leaks are never deleted because Nintendo taking action is pointless; they don't know where the info comes from nor who sent it, or even where they live because again, completely anonymous. (The people can be tracked if Nintendo specifically goes to 4chan's staff for info, but again, it gets deleted over time, so no point in taking action for removing any leaks)

They have to deal with potential leaks from the inside when it's on 4chan, but the second it leaves it and goes to social media, they can at least try to mitigate the damage from the NDA break caused by a leak

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People tried to dismiss the ESRB leak for a bunch of reasons like:

- They thought Shulk's render was just a photoshop Little Mac render.

- They thought it was too insane to be real for the fact Duck Hunt was in it despite the fact no one couldn't find the render anywhere online.

- They it was impossible that Dr. Mario would return especially before wanted cut veteran fan favorites like Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas.

- They thought it was too bizarre that Bowser Jr. was In the clown car instead of using his brush from Sunshine as a lot of people were expecting Jr. with the brush if he ever got in.

I could go on, but a good chunk of people gave it a reason of doubt. I believe it at first sight, but when I saw the gameplay footage of Bowser Jr. and Shulk that was when I knew for sure it was real.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so anyone with a name gets taken down, of course. I guess the only reason LeakyPandy even got away with his Byleth guess at all was because he's far from being a prominent leaker (let alone a legitimate one).

I guess we'll find out in a week if this is legitimate or faker than baloney. :glare:

Top Bottom