• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Circus, for that to work, we'd all have to start clapping too. Which I'm not (not booing, mind you, but not clapping either). Unless you were refering to previously unmentioned voices in your head. In which case, rock on.

Fawriel, I get that arguement in regards to cartoony. Actually, I agree with that part. But cartoony isn't synonmous with cutesy. In fact, that may be why I like the Melee version better. In my opinion it's more on the goofy/cartoony end of the spectrum. This new design looks like a green, earless teddy bear. The previous incarnation looked like if I flattened it by dropping an anvil on its head, it might reinflate itself by blowing into its thumb. In my humble opinion, that's the sort of zany, crazy vibe Yoshi should give off.

Shritistrang, good observation, and I think you're right, I'm just not a fan of that particular decision on Nintendo's part.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the design. I just don't like it as much as the previous one.

Aeris, regarding the translations, mind you, the only experience I've had with the japanese language was flirting with japanese girls after a question/answer panel on the "American" college experience last summer (which is by no means a bad experience :cool:) and occasionally watching anime in its original language, but the reason I brought it up is that I noticed how he seems to have an awkward way of putting some of his little notes, which makes me think that they are direct translations rather than paraphrases, in which case it is possible that something isn't carrying over properly. I guess I'd have to go back and find some examples to elaborate. Maybe later.

As far as the FS, Stampede isn't a half bad idea, I'm just wondering how that would work in smaller levels, or the most recently revealed destructable level.

P.S. Dyce, I was agreeing with your comments regarding the spamtastic diagram. It made a whole lot more sense before two people posted while I was writing mine. I hate when that happens.

EDIT: My appologies on the ridiculously long post.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Circus, for that to work, we'd all have to start clapping too. Which I'm not (not booing, mind you, but not clapping either). Unless you were refering to previously unmentioned voices in your head. In which case, rock on.

Fawriel, I get that arguement in regards to cartoony. Actually, I agree with that part. But cartoony isn't synonmous with cutesy. In fact, that may be why I like the Melee version better. In my opinion it's more on the goofy/cartoony end of the spectrum. This new design looks like a green, earless teddy bear. The previous incarnation looked like if I flattened it by dropping an anvil on its head, it might reinflate itself by blowing into its thumb. In my humble opinion, that's the sort of zany, crazy vibe Yoshi should give off.
Boooo!

Well, I did differentiate between cartoony and cute.
In my opinion, Yoshi now seems to be both. I guess this one is a matter of opinion... he moved in a cartoony fashion in Melee, so I can see where you're coming from with the anvil. But in the same way, I can imagine this Yoshi in Skyworld, the floor breaking away underneath him, causing him to stand in the air until he notices he should be falling.
Mainly because I don't want to imagine an anvil falling on his head. =<

I guess he might look too cute and innocent now, but the look of a character is also heavily influenced by the way they move. If I didn't know the game and you showed me a picture of Melee Yoshi, I wouldn't have any idea what you mean by cartoony. Sure, he's somewhat cartoony there, but not crazy, zany.
Wait till you see him in motion. He had a great lot of different expressions in Melee. I can only imagine them becoming more in Brawl.

Also, thanks, NrwCircus. 0r+Circus? ... Nothing Rhymes With Circus.

Twilight BladerJulz

Smash Rookie
I like the colour of Yoshi better now, I didn't really like that dark green colour he had before, I always like him with light green. He looks more like the Mario Party Yoshi when you think of it. Bowser's gums are more visible now, and DK is lighter and has visible showing fur, not to mention a little bigger then before. Pikachu is just lighter in colour. The Zelda characters are subdued of course. Fox - I like the green eye piece.

And Samus has had the biggest change of all obviously.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Aeris, regarding the translations, mind you, the only experience I've had with the japanese language was flirting with japanese girls after a question/answer panel on the "American" college experience last summer (which is by no means a bad experience :cool:) and occasionally watching anime in its original language, but the reason I brought it up is that I noticed how he seems to have an awkward way of putting some of his little notes, which makes me think that they are direct translations rather than paraphrases, in which case it is possible that something isn't carrying over properly. I guess I'd have to go back and find some examples to elaborate. Maybe later.
My experience with the language--as interested as I am--has been minimal as well, limited to a few phrases here and there from Final Fantasy and Katamari. I can, however, recite "Sakurairo no Kisetsu" in its entirety. Oh, and what a beautiful season it is! :)

There is still no update on Meta Knight or Solid Snake on Smash Bros Dojo I know Snake is speculated to be Secret but what about Meta Knight.
Yes, I'm suspecting that Meta knight/Snakes update in dojo will be posted at the site sometime this or next week...unless of course everyone working on SSBB just want to screw with us..

And BTW scav maybe in your post you should put YOSHI: CONFIRMED ?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well it's a given that Snake will be a secret character, Sakurai said he intended on making all 3rd Party guests hidden. I just don't like the idea of Meta Knight being hidden because... well... he's the first character I want to play with when I get the game (which I finally put on reserve two days ago after all this time).

I'm fairly certain we won't be getting anymore characters this week, we've pretty much been on a one character per week basis since about week 4. Someone posted the schedule already, but I'm not typing this again to find what they said and quote them, so I'll rewrite it here:

Week 1: Mario and Link, Pit
Week 2: Nothing
Week 3: Kirby and Pikachu
Week 4: Fox, Samus
Week 5: Wario
Week 6: Zelda
Week 7: Bowser
Week 8: Donkey Kong
Week 9: Zero-Suit Samus
Week 10: Yoshi

Whup... I was wrong, it was starting at week 5. Oh well, you see though.
Next character to be revealed...? I don't know. I'm going to be wrong anyway, I'm bad with predictions. Hopefully Meta, but maybe Captain Falcon?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Well, assuming that we get all of the returning characters out of the way first, that leaves:

Captain Falcon
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness

Those are the only four left that I think have a reasonable chance of returning on the default roster, which isn't to say that any other Smashers won't appear as hidden characters (I'm looking at you, Luigi, Jiggs, Ganondorf, and Marth). The ones listed above are the only four that I expect to see on the website in the near future, barring any newcomers that Sakurai might reveal and/or Metaknight (even though I still think he'll be a secret character). Even Ness is difficult to say for sure, though, because Sakurai has expressed an interest in Lucas to take Ness's place on the roster. Time will tell.

If I have my druthers, though, and my predictions are likewise accurate, I expect to see them reappear in this order: Peach, CF, Ness, IC. Fingers crossed for Peach ASAP! =)

(Actually, I'm kind of hoping to hear Skyworld's music tomorrow; I want them to use the Overworld music because it's so awesome, but they'll probably use some rock version of Skyworld's music).

The rAt

Smash Ace
Sound predictions, Aeris, but there's one thing I think you left out. From SSB64 to Melee, two of the secret characters were moved to the default list. I think we can safely say that at least two unlockables from Melee will be default in Brawl.

So, who are they going to be? Well, we can probably eliminate the clones right off the bat. Luigi, the only clone from SSB64, while altered, still returned as an unlockable, rather than a default. That leaves us with Luigi, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Game'n'Watch, and Marth. Since Luigi and Jigglypuff have gone two games running as unlockables, I'd say they just might keep that status this time around as well. And since the Pokemon series is already represented by Pikachu, and the Game'n'Watch and Fire Emblem series' (what's the verdict on this one, Sensai?) are thus unrepresented on the default list, I think it is a fair bet to expect that they will be default returning characters.

Personally, I'm expecting Falcon next week, but it's anybody's guess, right?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Anybody thinking Kirby should still have a copied characters's B move, but also retain the character's weight? Like if Kirby swallows Bowser, i think not only Kirby should gain fire power but also gain weight. This would be an advantage to his Bdown, but also bad for if he tries to fly back up.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Anybody thinking Kirby should still have a copied characters's B move, but also retain the character's weight? Like if Kirby swallows Bowser, i think not only Kirby should gain fire power but also gain weight. This would be an advantage to his Bdown, but also bad for if he tries to fly back up.
It's just a hat...
Exactly. Kirby doesn't become his swallowed enemy, he only dons their image in hat form. What I don't like about Kirby's copy ability is that he has to take their B move. It makes sense, but some attacks could be better used for Kirby than what is given. Like Marth's copied ability for example; I think his fB would be a more suitable copy ability for Kirby, it could make him more frantic like he should be. Ever play the Kirby games Sakurai? Considering you made them, you better have! Also, I think Peach's dB, pulling out a turnip, would work better for Kirby than pulling out Toad. I also felt Link's Boomerang would also work better for Kirby than the Hero's Bow, though they have seemed to improve the attack, so maybe it won't be that bad this time around.

But that's just me. I feel that Kirby should take every character's best trait, and not just what's there. Because IMO, that's what makes Kirby... Kirby!

EDIT:
But the copied ability should never be a recovery; recovery boosters (like Mario's Cape or Jiggly's Pound) are acceptable; and Kirby's uB should slide him like it did in SSB64. I miss that so much.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Sound predictions, Aeris, but there's one thing I think you left out. From SSB64 to Melee, two of the secret characters were moved to the default list. I think we can safely say that at least two unlockables from Melee will be default in Brawl.

So, who are they going to be? Well, we can probably eliminate the clones right off the bat. Luigi, the only clone from SSB64, while altered, still returned as an unlockable, rather than a default. That leaves us with Luigi, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Game'n'Watch, and Marth. Since Luigi and Jigglypuff have gone two games running as unlockables, I'd say they just might keep that status this time around as well. And since the Pokemon series is already represented by Pikachu, and the Game'n'Watch and Fire Emblem series' (what's the verdict on this one, Sensai?) are thus unrepresented on the default list, I think it is a fair bet to expect that they will be default returning characters.

Personally, I'm expecting Falcon next week, but it's anybody's guess, right?
What about the Ice Climbers? Have they gone by the wayside? :urg:

G&W and Marth (or some other FE face) will probably make the default roster, but I don't see them returning anytime soon. Luigi, Jiggs, and M2 will all undoubtedly return as secret characters.

Falcon would make the most sense because it would give at least some news as far as the F-Zero franchise is concerned, but as you said, it's anyone's guess.

(And I believe that my immense knowledge of grammatica can be of service: the apostrophe used is superfluous. Wrong, even. "Series" is the same in its singular and plural forms, so there is no need to differentiate between the two in writing. Hope that helps! :grin: )

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
On the topis of Yoshi's new look, it is just that: his new look. Someone earlier said that he is moving away from the "rideable mount" style and more into a standing, bigheaded style. I agree with this completely; if you look at how his style has changed in recent games, it has been moving in that direction. If you want physical evidence, take a look at my sig. The only Yoshi that looks like the "mount" style is Baby Yoshi from Paper Mario 2 (in that game you actually could ride him). In all the other games Yoshi is standing with larger arms.

Personally I like the new look. Yoshi is all about motion and energy anyway - still frames don't do him justice.

Independent Yoshi FTW!

P3L!C@N

Smash Cadet
What about the Ice Climbers? Have they gone by the wayside? :urg:

G&W and Marth (or some other FE face) will probably make the default roster, but I don't see them returning anytime soon. Luigi, Jiggs, and M2 will all undoubtedly return as secret characters.
Agreed. Luigi needs to return. It doesn't really matter whether or not he's a secret character, Luigi definitely needs to return.

I'm just excited for the default roster. Remembering back to SSB64, that default list was epic in so many ways it was ridiculous.

I really enjoyed IC too. They were original, but I wouldn't mind seeing another combo set like them. For example, Diddy/Dixie Kong.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Well, obviously Sakurai is a bit unpredictable (see Zelda and Bowser), so like I guess IC could be next, but the reason I think Falcon is because neither of the two SSB64-unlockable/Melee-default characters have been shown yet, though we have seen Samurai Goroh. Just seems like a smart next move. That said, I kinda expect Sakurai to drop a bomb like showing Marth or G&W soon. Just seems like things haven't been shaken up too much since Bowser, in terms of character announcements.

But like I said, anybody's guess.

HeroADV

Smash Rookie
i'm not sure about him ether
Wario was inevitable, and will make a brilliant character. And Meta Knight should be good too, nice to see another character from the Kirby series.

Not so sure about Solid Snake to be honest...
My god what is it with you people and hating on snake

I hope that he turns out to be one of the top tier chars in the game

I would gladly welcome snake and all other toons that Sakurai puts in the game. In the end snake will be very well welcome and with all others as well. He may not be nintendo, but i truely think that doesnt matter any more.
Because smash Bros has become something more then just a mascot fighter, its a complex and deep game with so many dynamics that make it even more worthwhile to play.

Every day you play with your friends and the fun never stops and (i know for my self) can go on for hours on end.

Its a awesome game and the more chars that they add in the better. I hope it has all the 26 from melee in all the their redone glory and i hope that the newcomers (that we know so far and many many many more) will Breath new hope and love in the game that has always been there and will always be there.

So stop hating on snake
He may not look like he belongs but the creators look like they know what they are doing so far and snake will be incredible. So will metaknight and wario and pit and all the other new comers they cram in the game.

Hopefully snake will open up the door for more 3rd party chars as well

including hopefully the long awaited sonic
you never know

We might be headed in the greatest smash off yet.

Red Dominator

Smash Cadet
Well, assuming that we get all of the returning characters out of the way first, that leaves:

Captain Falcon
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness

Those are the only four left that I think have a reasonable chance of returning on the default roster, which isn't to say that any other Smashers won't appear as hidden characters (I'm looking at you, Luigi, Jiggs, Ganondorf, and Marth). The ones listed above are the only four that I expect to see on the website in the near future, barring any newcomers that Sakurai might reveal and/or Metaknight (even though I still think he'll be a secret character). Even Ness is difficult to say for sure, though, because Sakurai has expressed an interest in Lucas to take Ness's place on the roster. Time will tell.

If I have my druthers, though, and my predictions are likewise accurate, I expect to see them reappear in this order: Peach, CF, Ness, IC. Fingers crossed for Peach ASAP! =)

(Actually, I'm kind of hoping to hear Skyworld's music tomorrow; I want them to use the Overworld music because it's so awesome, but they'll probably use some rock version of Skyworld's music).
you forgot sheik XD... i know it counts as zelda to, but id recon theyde put him.. um.. her.... as a diferent character :p

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
My god what is it with you people and hating on snake

I hope that he turns out to be one of the top tier chars in the game

I would gladly welcome snake and all other toons that Sakurai puts in the game. In the end snake will be very well welcome and with all others as well. He may not be nintendo, but i truely think that doesnt matter any more.
Because smash Bros has become something more then just a mascot fighter, its a complex and deep game with so many dynamics that make it even more worthwhile to play.

Every day you play with your friends and the fun never stops and (i know for my self) can go on for hours on end.

Its a awesome game and the more chars that they add in the better. I hope it has all the 26 from melee in all the their redone glory and i hope that the newcomers (that we know so far and many many many more) will Breath new hope and love in the game that has always been there and will always be there.

So stop hating on snake
He may not look like he belongs but the creators look like they know what they are doing so far and snake will be incredible. So will metaknight and wario and pit and all the other new comers they cram in the game.

Hopefully snake will open up the door for more 3rd party chars as well

including hopefully the long awaited sonic
you never know

We might be headed in the greatest smash off yet.
That's an awfully long and defensive post over such a small thing. They weren't even "hating on" Snake. They just said they weren't too sure about how he'll be in Brawl—and I share their feeling.

People are allowed to just not like Snake, you know.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Good first post, though, wasn't it? And at least he didn't get offensive instead. :p

In the end, I think Snake fits better than many others. There's nothing wrong with one single "realistic" character in the game... it just adds to the diversity. It seems that Sakurai really wants to give characters very different styles, in terms of art, this time around. And Smash has always been about showing off what Nintendo has to offer.
So having ONE more mature character doesn't seem like a bad idea.
And I hear Snake's games have the occasional absurd humor, too... *wiggles fingers*

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
You know, when I saw today's update, I was thinking: Oh my gosh! That must be the most unexpected fighter they were coming up with!

Only when I looked a second time I realized that Knuckle Joe is supposed to be an Assist Trophy... Silly me...

Still, I think he's a cool addition. I always used him when playing Kirby Super Star, while my friend was using Kirby.

You know, many of these enemy/helper characters from Kirby could become cool Assist Trophies. I'm thinking of Blade Knight, Chilly and that yoyo-guy...

starboardman

Smash Apprentice
They should put in those Kid Icarus statues that helped him in the dungeons after he freed them with a hammer. Those would be cool... if like 5 of them appear and then they mimic'ed all Pit's moves!!!

Wii Lee

Smash Rookie
Do you know if zero suit samus will be playable totally as a new character (will she appears in the character selection screen ?) or only after a samus' final smash ?

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
Do you know if zero suit samus will be playable totally as a new character (will she appears in the character selection screen ?) or only after a samus' final smash ?
We only know what we can see on the Smash Bros. Brawl Homepage... and that is that Z.SuitSamus will become playable after her Final Smash. Everything else, we can only assume.

But maybe, if we're lucky, we can choose her by selecting normal Samus while pressing a certain button, just as we could do with Zelda to directly choose Sheik. I certainly hope so...

By the way, did anyone ever think of the possibility that a common Space Pirate might be playable (or maybe be an Assist Trophy)?

Sensai

Smash Master
NEVER HEARD OF KNUCKLE JOE?!!?

Seriously, GTFO outta this thread, right this minute. Ye GAWDS where are my fellow Kirby supporters?!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I'm all for Kirby going back to God Tier and pro anyone from Kirby... but no, I didn't know who Knuckle Joe was. I've never played Kirby Super Star, I never owned the SNES. I have played basically every other main Kirby game, though. I kinda figured Rick would be an AT.

And I looked at all the other allies from Kirby Super Star... I WANT THEM ALL TO BE ASSISTANTS!

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
I'm seriously hoping to see Ness return with his 64 PKT and Throw. I would be extremely disappointed if Ness was replaced by Lucas. Ness has been in both previous games, it would just make sense to keep him in Brawl.

I expect C.Falcon to be the next character to be revealed. With the assist trophy from F-Zero, not to mention his previous spot in both SB64 and SSBM, he seems almost a shoe-in.

Luigi and J-puff will also most likely make a return. Especially since Luigi's moveset now differs so much from Mario's.

I honestly don't see IC returning though. They just don't bring enough to the table. Most every other character has had a large impact on the Nintendo franchise and are well known and loved. Sure the ICs had their spot, about 20 years ago. I just don't see them returning.
Now I could be wrong, and I wouldn't mind being wrong, but I just think it's going to happen.

For some reason, I see a return of Ganondorf. I can honestly say I base it on nothing more than a gut feeling, but I think we haven't seen the end of him. Although I expect to see him with his sword, and a mostly different moveset.

Also, Is it just me, or does it look like they are trying to do away with ledge-hogging? Take a look at all the newer stages. Just something I noticed. More platforms, trying to get away from that 4 platform set they have been using. The stages also look bigger.

Heh, this is a long post.
Bowzer definitely looks a LOT bigger. They shrank Yoshi's tail size, and Pikachu also looks smaller.
Hrmmm.

HeroADV

Smash Rookie
I'm seriously hoping to see Ness return with his 64 PKT and Throw. I would be extremely disappointed if Ness was replaced by Lucas. Ness has been in both previous games, it would just make sense to keep him in Brawl.

I expect C.Falcon to be the next character to be revealed. With the assist trophy from F-Zero, not to mention his previous spot in both SB64 and SSBM, he seems almost a shoe-in.

Luigi and J-puff will also most likely make a return. Especially since Luigi's moveset now differs so much from Mario's.

I honestly don't see IC returning though. They just don't bring enough to the table. Most every other character has had a large impact on the Nintendo franchise and are well known and loved. Sure the ICs had their spot, about 20 years ago. I just don't see them returning.
Now I could be wrong, and I wouldn't mind being wrong, but I just think it's going to happen.

For some reason, I see a return of Ganondorf. I can honestly say I base it on nothing more than a gut feeling, but I think we haven't seen the end of him. Although I expect to see him with his sword, and a mostly different moveset.

Also, Is it just me, or does it look like they are trying to do away with ledge-hogging? Take a look at all the newer stages. Just something I noticed. More platforms, trying to get away from that 4 platform set they have been using. The stages also look bigger.

Heh, this is a long post.
Bowzer definitely looks a LOT bigger. They shrank Yoshi's tail size, and Pikachu also looks smaller.
Hrmmm.

Yes a very long post
but a good one

I truely hope to see the return of everyone in the SSBM. But i know that every one is going to change drasticly. They already put out that Bowser changed. Maybe for the Better or for the worst, that much we dont know. But all we know is that he changed.

And maybe C.Falcon Got his old up smash from SSB64. I love that elbow it could block anything.

combine that with his new knee in ssbm and yes the fur is really going to fly.

but thats off the point
the fact is that we can only make assumptions so far. But thats fun to do too.

its good to Dream
But on dec 4th it will be on and i will be darn sure to get everyone i can. I just hope they have a lot of fighters.
and i mean lots!!!

All varied and good in there own Aspect Just like SSB64 and SSBM:chuckle:

The rAt

Smash Ace
Nice update, he looks like he could be one of the better ATs. I can't wait to get my hands on him. Too bad for all the Knuckle Joe for Brawl supporters...

...wait... did he even have any?
If there's one thing I've learned since Brawl was announced its that EVERYONE has supporters. When you've seen a Metapod support thread, you've seen it all.

Sensai, sorry I'm a outta the loop on this one too. My interest in/knowledge of the Kirby series is only now beginning to take root.

Warning - Rant ahead.

On the topic of the Ice Climbers (this applies to G&W, Captain Falcon, and probably Ness, as well), listen closely because you can take this one to the bank:

As long as there are multiple characters from a single game series (i.e. Pokemon, Mario Series, ect.), the central character of an otherwise unrepresented game series will not be removed.

Common sense; Ice Climbers will always bring more to the table than Gannondorf, Falco (even though I love him) or the many pokemon which litter the Smash Bros series, because they represent diversity. They represent the whole point of Smash Bros, which was NOT so that everyone's fanboy dreams about side-characters who, in all honesty have nothing to do with anything other than the fact that you (you being the fan, not anyone specifically in this thread) happen to idolize them, can be fulfilled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick on those who enjoy side characters (I've got a tendency to be one of them); I'm picking on the people who are so narcisistic as to write off good, original characters for the purpose of glorifying characters who don't even warrent their own game.

End rant.

On a side note, where'd all the newbs come from all of the sudden? :p

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
Even if all of our favorite characters don't return, (i really hope they do), we can always play as them in Melee.

Hopefully everyone returns, even the characters I never use. Like C Falcon. They'll probaly have the mystery characters from Melee be mystery characters in Brawl and more.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman

On the topic of the Ice Climbers (this applies to G&W, Captain Falcon, and probably Ness, as well), listen closely because you can take this one to the bank:

As long as there are multiple characters from a single game series (i.e. Pokemon, Mario Series, ect.), the central character of an otherwise unrepresented game series will not be removed.

Common sense; Ice Climbers will always bring more to the table than Gannondorf, Falco (even though I love him) or the many pokemon which litter the Smash Bros series, because they represent diversity. They represent the whole point of Smash Bros, which was NOT so that everyone's fanboy dreams about side-characters who, in all honesty have nothing to do with anything other than the fact that you (you being the fan, not anyone specifically in this thread) happen to idolize them, can be fulfilled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick on those who enjoy side characters (I've got a tendency to be one of them); I'm picking on the people who are so narcisistic as to write off good, original characters for the purpose of glorifying characters who don't even warrent their own game.
I don't mind seeing characters like Ice Climbers in fact I support seeing characters from old franchises, we probly wouldnt see Pit if they didnt bring back old franchises and I'm a fan. But saying that about side characters is just wrong. Smash not only a fighting game but is highly based upon the principle of being able to play your FAVORITE game character whether he be a side character like Falco or a main character like Mario. It just wouldnt be the ultimate nintendo showdown if it didnt include those characters that didnt seem to be as glorified as Fox or Kirby. They too now get to show that they are truly worth something and that they can kick some *** if they wanted to. Enraged bowser now has the chance to beat Mario, Falco has a chance to beat Fox, etc. All characters are unique in their own way and each brings their own flare to the ultimate nintendo showdown.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Three things, ASJ.

First, if these characters want to do anything, you may be taking them a bit too seriously. Nothing in the way many of these characters have been portrayed demonstrates what they would do if and when they were in a position to fight one another (Okay, besides characters from the same game who have already interacted with one another. Sheesh. :p).

Second, in video games gameplay most always trumps story (except in RPGs). Thus sometimes even the main characters can be a bit one-dimensional, leaving the secondary characters even more so. Because the purpose of any given game is to showcase its main character, often the sidecharacters are nothing more than scenery. Therefore the personalities which are generally attributed to sidecharacters are most often the work of bad fan-fic and fanboy wet dreams, based on sparce information at best. What I am referring to and what annoys me is that what people often want and refer is that, not the character itself, because in the case of most side characters, they aren't actual characters. Why? Because they haven't been developed beyond how they relate to the central character (Bowser and Peach being exceptions to this rule). Think I'm wrong? That's fair. Then tell me, what does Falco do when Fox isn't around? How does he relate to Krystal? What does he think of Rob? What is his opinion on Fox's adventure on Dinosaur Planet. Granted you couldn't necessarily answer all of these questions about Fox, but you could take a better stab at them than Falco because Nintendo has spent enough time on Fox to show you more than a shard of a personality.
So, if what I am saying is true, then why do fanboys fight so hard for their character? Simple, it's their character. Simple validation of their opinion is what is being sought.

Third, Smash Bros isn't about playing as your favorite character. It's about Nintendo making money. Therefore the your opinion (or mine or any others) matters only insofar as it is corroborated by enough people so as to influence/change how well the game will sell if it is not listened to. Granted, that seems like a pretty obvious distinction, but you'd be surprised how many people can't seem to wrap their heads around that.

Don't get me wrong, side characters are great, and Smash Bros. is a nice venue to develop them further. I like most of the ones they've thrown in. But they'll never add as much to a game their more developed main character counterparts.

Sorry if that sounded rantish or preachy, and of course as always people will probably disagree with me, but it's what I think and I don't make appologies for what I think.

Dang I really feel like I should steer things back towards topic, but it really seems like everything has been discussed. Anyone else notice they've been a bit lax on info on the special moves?

There. I tried. :cool:

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
Three things, ASJ.

First, if these characters want to do anything, you may be taking them a bit too seriously. Nothing in the way many of these characters have been portrayed demonstrates what they would do if and when they were in a position to fight one another (Okay, besides characters from the same game who have already interacted with one another. Sheesh. :p).

Second, in video games gameplay most always trumps story (except in RPGs). Thus sometimes even the main characters can be a bit one-dimensional, leaving the secondary characters even more so. Because the purpose of any given game is to showcase its main character, often the sidecharacters are nothing more than scenery. Therefore the personalities which are generally attributed to sidecharacters are most often the work of bad fan-fic and fanboy wet dreams, based on sparce information at best. What I am referring to and what annoys me is that what people often want and refer is that, not the character itself, because in the case of most side characters, they aren't actual characters. Why? Because they haven't been developed beyond how they relate to the central character (Bowser and Peach being exceptions to this rule). Think I'm wrong? That's fair. Then tell me, what does Falco do when Fox isn't around? How does he relate to Krystal? What does he think of Rob? What is his opinion on Fox's adventure on Dinosaur Planet. Granted you couldn't necessarily answer all of these questions about Fox, but you could take a better stab at them than Falco because Nintendo has spent enough time on Fox to show you more than a shard of a personality.
So, if what I am saying is true, then why do fanboys fight so hard for their character? Simple, it's their character. Simple validation of their opinion is what is being sought.

Third, Smash Bros isn't about playing as your favorite character. It's about Nintendo making money. Therefore the your opinion (or mine or any others) matters only insofar as it is corroborated by enough people so as to influence/change how well the game will sell if it is not listened to. Granted, that seems like a pretty obvious distinction, but you'd be surprised how many people can't seem to wrap their heads around that.

Don't get me wrong, side characters are great, and Smash Bros. is a nice venue to develop them further. I like most of the ones they've thrown in. But they'll never add as much to a game their more developed main character counterparts.

Sorry if that sounded rantish or preachy, and of course as always people will probably disagree with me, but it's what I think and I don't make appologies for what I think.

Dang I really feel like I should steer things back towards topic, but it really seems like everything has been discussed. Anyone else notice they've been a bit lax on info on the special moves?

There. I tried. :cool:

What makes a character a character? Well, just being a character. Therefore a character is guess what.... a character. Whether they are the main character or a side character doesnt change the fact that they are indeed a character.

And i dont get what your trying to prove with your second point other than the fact that it seems you dont want side characters because they are less developed than main characters making them less important.

And of course they are trying to make money, everything having to do with being a company is about making money. Though games have points behind them that interest the people in buying the product. Thus smashes point is being the ultimate nintendo showdown and the ability to pit your favorite character against other nintendo all stars, and that draws attetnion and make people want to buy it. But if its that, people would want to like the characters if they really wanted to buy the game. I have a friend that only plans on getting the game because it has solid snake in it. Wow, a character was the deciding point for whether he should get the game, go figure. Some people like Falco because they think hes a bad ***, theres nothing wrong with that. In fact including him in the game could indeed attribute to more sales. So peoples opinions do matter as it could lead to them sellin more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom