• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Dyce? Have I done Wrong??? 2day a kid said "what if it were April 1st in Japan and Sonic was a Joke" All I remember is saying Blasphemy...and when I came to his disembodied head was in my hands....have I done wrong???

BTW Im STILL Peeing 4 Sonic
As long as you didn't do anything sexual with that head... you're totally justified.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
In terms of Tier he will probably be top tier, but usually I go for mid-tier, I just hoping Falco (if confirmed) will not be in anyway be like Sonic in terms of speed

Repryx

Smash Champion
In order to main sonic...you must join hands w. me and Dyce and Skip though the streets of Mobius with glee

@ GigaKoopa...Blasphemey....

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I cannot believe they put Sonic in Smash. What were they thinking? It is kinda cool but Knuckles would of been a better choice.
That kind of lunacy needs to stop. Also, don't double post.

Monty Python! :grin:

4) They didn't show Lucas enough, ****it! At least we saw ONE special move....

6) :laugh: I love Peach!

9) No, because: 1) his knees aren't strong enough, and 2) he can't **** people like the Captain. When CF asks if you've "got a little Captain in you", he means it in the most literal sense. ;)
10) Haha, Genesis throwbacks are a nice touch.
Good show.
4)I agree. I wish they would show his moveset so we can go about expecting or unexpecting Ness. The more I see, the more it looks like the latter hasn't left the scene.

6) You? Like Peach? I don't believe that. Also, is it me or in the dance scene w/ Bowser, does her voice sound suspiciously like Baby Mario?

9) That statement will haunt my dreams

10) Yeah, I noticed that too. Green Hill Zone, FTW!

I really hope so. Drummond is so much better than that other guy on the cartoon. EXCEPT for Jaleel White, he's a top-notch Sonic voice. I would have much rather had him. ;)

And I've been looking at Lucas in the trailer... he doesn't seem to do much, so there isn't much given away as to whether or not he's taking Ness' place. Unless that woobly blob-thing coming out of his head is PKFlash... I still don't think he will.
**** right. Jaleel White is the only Sonic as far as I'm concerned. Not gonna lie, I was pretty disapointed when I heard Sonic's voice, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until I read that post. I was expecting the original Sonic voice.

Also, you pretty much just spoke my thoughts on Lucas.

Jaleel White lolz serious?? ive never heard him lolz Got any Cheese?
Blasphemy! Jaleel might have been particularly obnoxious in his Urkal days, but his Sonic voice fits the character beyond perfectly. Of course they went and ruined it with Sonic Adventures, but the original Sonic the Hedgehog tv series was one of the best things to happen to Saturday mornings in the early-mid 90's.

Lol. Well really, I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who's had the same experiences with "Poke'lovers" that I've had...it changes a person. PokeHate FTW! ^^

Yes, Sonic is a lovely addition, but we all knew he was coming. Granted we couldn't see him coming as none of us expected him quite this early, but he came nonetheless and it was expected.

Why are you scared for Falco, exactly?
Not gonna lie, I wasn't really expecting Sonic myself. I just didn't give Nintendo that much credit.
As far as Falco goes, he's a clone and we haven't seen any clones yet. The fear will likely continue until his glorious arrival.

H...h-...hate? Sonic? Is it possible for those words to be used together in a sentence like that? ((Any guesses?))
I've heard that it's legal in Canada.

That comical look is GOOD though, it brings out the cartoony fighting nature of Smash that characters like Snake and Ike threaten to destroy.
Once again, preach it.

Nevermind. Here used to lie a bunch of junk about how I wanted my thousandth to be when Dark Samus was announced, but seeing how I didn't realize I'm now at 1,001 posts, that's kinda...well I'm an idiot. Forget anything else was ever here.
Smooth.

Yes, I'd like to see them as well. I knew they had to be way off.

And I'm scared for Falco because I fear that if he does make it back, he will play a totally different style and I won't be able to **** with him as easily.

EDIT:
P.S.- I'm still geeking out about Sonic over here! :chuckle::rotfl::chuckle:
I empathize with your Falco woes. However, given the variety of characters we've seen so far, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even have time to use him if/when he does return.

On a different topic, I love that I can always count on the Smashboards going down every time something big goes down. Not only that, but it only happens when I'm about to post, not when I'm reading other people's posts. Not cool.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
@ Andy:

ZOMG NO. Baby Mario would make me want to kill myself. I don't mind him in Yoshi's Island DS, Mario Kart, etc. But not for Brawl. There are better Mario characters for the roster.

(But **** I laughed at Peach's giddy little dance :chuckle: .)

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
Sorry to any Christians out there, but JESUS FVCKING KEE-RISTE! I'd resigned myself to another crappy week, and then...I turned on my computer this morning, and BAM! "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" I saw only a tiny piece of the emblem and speculated for a second. "Who could it be?" I asked myself. Finally, I scrolled down and flooded my house. I mean, HOLY SH;T! Sakurai! You can't do this to me! Then I scrolled down some more, and it was as if my bladder had refilled itself. There they were, two videos staring me in the face. I turned the volume up to max and clicked on the vid link for "Sonic Joins the Brawl". There was that strange helicopter-like noise as Mario owned some Goombas, and then...Sonic owned Mario. But you all saw...In my awe, I failed to notice the sound of Link's Spin Attack, something that surely would not have escaped my attention under normal circumstances. I watched it again, calmer this time. AWESOME! Then I watched the other vid. Looks like a lot of people got new taunts. I hope Link's is the victory taunt he does in TP.

Now, Sonic's appearance raises a few questions.

What does this mean for Sonic's buddies?

How does Sonic play into the storyline of Subspace Emissary?

How bad is he gonna own Bowser?

Why a blue hedgehog? (That actually has nothing to do with Brawl, but it's something I've been wondering for a while anyway...)

But one thing can be for sure...Captain Falcon must now throw down his helmet in shame, because baby, we now have the world's fastest character IN BRAWL!

Now...back to Link (not that I don't completely and utterly LOVE SONIC'S APPEARANCE IN BRAWL, but I still love the Hylian more than the hedgehog). It seems as if they simply took everything about Link out of TP and put him into Brawl. His appearance, his items, his stage, even his voice! His Spin Attack voice-over sounds just like it did in TP. I really hope Link's vocals remain exactly the same as they did in that game, because it had my favorite Link VO ever. It's not entirely impossible that they'd change it--after all, they changed it from OoT to SSBM.

Lemme see...I did not get frozen by the ICs this time...I was too busy killing each and every Pichu in the entire world to post. This was, you see, to make sure that the worst stain on Melee's existence could come back to Brawl. Thank me later.

Now, kids, it's time for twilight_hero's update analysis! Oh, BOY!

Thursday
Meh. Deconfirms the "personal shields" idea I heard somwhere on the Internets. Hopefully Link's shield will still block projectiles if you simply stand.

On the other hand, Fox's FS looks pretty awesome.

Friday
Teams in 1-P mode? WTF? But...then it ain't 1-P mode...ah well. Still looks fun.

Monday
Blah.

Tuesday
Blah. I didn't really need to know about Kirby's FS (it was shown in the trailer, for fvck's sake!), and I really don't like the music. BTW, if no one else knew, you can check the Japanese site and hear the music of Kirby's FS along with the FS update itself...the American site doesn't have it though. Pretty weird. Worth listening to, I s'pose.

Wednesday
See the rest of this post aside from t_h's update analysis.

t_h's update analysis is now concluded. My question to you...anything worthwhile happen between pages 604 and this one? I ain't reading 'em...shouldn't even be doing this. I have too much homework...I HATE SCHOOL!

Please, Dyce, be on and answer my questions.

See y'all later.

Not A Naruto Wannabe

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else see that move where meta knight pwned kirby all the way across the stage?
that was awesome and he was about to shuttle loop him too... and then it went to the next scene -.-

Repryx

Smash Champion
guys are you gay? jk;) but anyway what did you mean by Blasphemey?
YOur Comment on Falco

Note da Sig

Hey..Live and Learn was SA2 If Im right...and we have had a Slew of other games since...

SA2 was Also Shadows Debut...

Shadow taggin along maybe?

Repryx

Smash Champion
^^ Are You Effing Serious?????????????????????????????????

OMG!! It comes out in Japan...Jan 24 2008??? WTF SAKURAI!!! CAN I PLEASE KILL HIM NOW???????

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Please, Dyce, be on and answer my questions.
Well that's flattering. Sure twilight_hero. I'll see what I can do. :cool:

Now, Sonic's appearance raises a few questions.

What does this mean for Sonic's buddies?

Most likely... not too much. I'm still going to say that Knuckles and Tails have good chances at being ATs, Robotnik will most likely end up as a boss, Shadow and Silver will end up as alternate skins OR just simple cameos as alternate colors, and anyone else will end up as a sticker/trophy.

How does Sonic play into the storyline of Subspace Emissary?

Well, the chapter starts with Mario punching Goombas. Sonic sees this and thinks Mario is a robot and the Goombas are adorable woodland animals. Sonic runs really fast at Mario and knocks him over. Mario, dazed and confused, attempts to stand, but before he can get straight up, Sonic tackles him back down to the ground and starts pummeling him in the face. Mario, in total shock, screams "What-a the f**k is a-happening!? Stop-a punching me! I'm-a just trying to save-a the world from evil space robots!" Sonic hears his plea and ceases wailing on him. Sonic then continues to say "Really? I'll bet Robotnik's behind all this!" Then, while coughing up teeth and blood and coddling a broken rib, Mario asks who his assailant and newly found allie is. Sonic then runs away, and then runs back on-screen to a screeching halt and says enthusiastically "Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!"

This, of course, was the intro shown in today's update. (*Film was edited as to not run the trailer too long.*)

How bad is he gonna own Bowser?

Worse than anyone else... but not that much worse. Sakurai seems to be on the right track for getting heavy characters on par with the rest of the cast.

Why a blue hedgehog? (That actually has nothing to do with Brawl, but it's something I've been wondering for a while anyway...)

Because every other color and obscure animalwas taken already.
Oh, no. Oh, please, God, no.

THE RELEASE DATE ON THE SITE HAS BEEN CHANGED BACK TO, "TBD"! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I wish it wasn't true buddy... sadly, it is. Now, let us bow our heads for a moment of silence, remembering the days in which "December 3rd" was displayed proudly on the Dojo. Days we have certainly taken for granted.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Sorry....but TBD as in To be Determined? as in...THEY HAVENT DECIDED YET???? AS IN THEY GOT OUR HOPES UP????....as In we probably wont get it in January??? cuz Japan is gettin it on the 24th...OMG IM REALLY SO MAD NOW!!! THis game had better be the best 4 the next ten years!!!!

Some1 in Japan Must be Sakuraificed for this Delay...or it's Curtains for Sakurai!

EDIT: lolz @ Dyce's Story!

Pyrogamer

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we have anything to worry about. The American release date will probably remain the same. Nintendo will want to release as many copies as possible for the U.S. holiday season. They have seemed to care more about the American audience since the Wii came out so this seems quite likely. Since sooooo many people in Japan are going to buy this game, they don't want them taking away from their stock of the game for the U.S.

...at least I pray this theory is true.

also Sonic look surprisingly smooth and very top tier. anyone else see that he jumps off a spring (probably his up+b)?

Repryx

Smash Champion
^^ Silly thats what I said! hee hee anyway...T_H CAN I KILL SAKURAI?? PLEASE??

Delays arent my thing...Due to this Delay Sakurai is being compared to a deadbeat Dad.

Sakurai-"Im coming to see you on Dec 3rd Repryx"

Repryx-"Yay Daddy is bringing presents"

Sakurai-"Uhh sorry but uhm...I cant make it I know you were looking forward to seeing me but you have to wait a lil Longer"

Repryx-"how Long?"

Sakurai-"Well see I hae to visit Bombsoldier on Jan 24"

Repryx-"YOU ******* you Always Preferred his Falco over mine!" *Repryx goes Emo*

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I'll comment on what everyone else had to say later. Right now I need to finish up some homework. :(

Original Post:

(*I missed this, thought I'd comment on it.)

You know, at first I thought you just didn't know what you were talking about. We've seen Sonic jump in this trailer plenty of times. That spring is just his uB.

But after watching the trailer for the twenty-some-oddth time... I'm not so sure of myself anymore.

It's very possible that Sonic's ground jump is a spring. Any time we've seen him use it was off the ground. And after every time he's used it he's able to attack.

But then there's something that confuses me MORE. There is a time when Sonic springs out of a spin-dash, and two times when he doesn't. Do you suppose they added a bit of uncontrability to Sonic to balance him? He looks very dominant right now, with his crazy combos and a bAir with heavy knockback. So what if they gave him a jump that can spontaneously spring him higher than he wants to, just so he can't combo as easily as he should be able to under normal circumstances? From the looks of it he's got great ground AND air control, so comboing with him would be very easy. Maybe the spring is the thing that can help fit Sonic into the Smash Universe without breaking him like they did with Fox.

And one more speculation: Sometimes when Sonic spin-dashes into his opponents it knocks them straight back on their arses, and other times it knocks them into the air. How do you choose which type of knockback you want?

P.S.- Still SO STOKED on Sonic!!! ZOMG HE'S REALLY HERE!!! {<Do-do-do> Live and leeeeearn!}
Haha, nope. I've been clean for over a month, which means that I most certainly know what I'm talking about (even if nobody else does). :p

I've been on GameTrailers and using QuickTime to watch these movie clips frame-by-frame. Unfortunately the quality sucks, but it provides some subtle clues.

That spring jump used in Skyworld is not an upB. Sonic jumps off the ground as it appears, he flips and falls about half-way down to the right platform, then does a Falconkickesq attack where he sticks his foot out and shoots to the ground. (We've seen Zamus do this type of move in the NWT, nothing new.) If he did an aerial attack than he most certainly wasn't upBing. So, either certain "agile" or possible "gifted" characters can charge their primary jumps (could Sonic do this in his games? I know Mario/Peach/Luigi/Toad could in Super Mario Bros 2) or Sonic might have some unpredictability (like Peach's Fsmash? I HIGHLY doubt that, but it's possible). If you watch the scene where Mario and Sonic fight side-by-side in co-op, that smaller jump could be Sonic's "short hop".

I'd also like to make a side note that 1) Mario gets a tad bit of FLUDD spraying action while leaving the ground, but it cuts off as he enters the air, and 2) DK grabs the left side of the right platform on Skyworld. Having so many grabable ledges will make this stage interesting.

As for Sonic's buzz-saw move, I believe his downB is rollout style, knocking opponents away and redirecting Sonic's momentum when he collides with an opponent, lagging him when he hits weak enemies, while his overB is a Raptor Boost style move. Each time his buzz-saw move hit the opponents upwards, Sonic continued forward a highly predictable amoung of distance, then midair jumped out of the buzz-saw. (On frame-by-frame, you can Clearly see the little "jumping ring platforms", which accompanied Melee's midair jumps, beneath his feet each time he performs this move in the trailer.) Also, while you'd be lucky if I went back and counted frames at this hour (I don't know the framerate I've been running so yeah...), Mario goes from his "oof" knockback lag animation to his "flailing" tumbling animation at the instant he's above the pillar. For those who don't feel like watching the video or don't understand; Mario only suffers lag from Sonic's Bair until the instant he's above the exact edge of the stage. He was then free to jump/do whatever, but didn't in this demo video. This really isn't much lag, he only traveled about one and a half lengths of that platform while lagging, but Brawl's new physics made it look like he suffered uber amounts of lag. Don't worry, this move isn't as strong as we were lead to believe.

Speaking of strong, Meta Knight's overB is a HOAX! Kirby took a combined 28% damage in that clip. However, Kirby was hit by MK's overB attack AND Peach's Ftilt. Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but if Peach's Ftilt (which has disgusting range btw) did even 8% damage (which is less than Fox's tilts in Melee, I'm SURE it does more), then MK did AT MOST 20% damage with his "ZOMG SERAPSAIDEATH" move.

Relax, people. Relax.

((I'm gonna do more thurough analysies of these videos for my own personal benefit. If anyone's interested in knowing the results, you can feel free to say something and I'll post what you're "dying" to know in this thread.))

Laters<

Fawriel

Smash Master
Now only Sonic's b move has to be a spin-dash and I can tell you that I frikkin called it. ^^

And, personally, I don't mind the delay. The thing I'm worried about the most is that Nintendo might not be able to cash in on the infamous "holiday season", which is bad for the company.
But if they need some more time to make the game perfect, go ahead.
Hell, in a way I'm glad to be living in the PAL region, because I'd absolutely LOATHE having to play a game with the NTSC Fox, Falco, Sheik... eh. If they need the time for balancing and whatever else, as long as they don't end up losing money for Nintendo and thus causing the new video game crash, it's all fine with me.

EDIT: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Sonic's down-b is a Spin Charge.
But in the air, he's seen several times performing an attack that makes him shoot downwards ( which I believe has been observed in Zamus as well ).
This confirms one of two possibilities:

- There will really be special moves that differ quite greatly in their use in the air and on the ground.
- There will be A moves with the ability to alter the character's momentum. So far, only special-moves could actually change the way a character moved, with the semi-exception of Link's dair's bounce.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
Repryx...think of the worst thing you possibly can, then infinitely multiply it. That's what I'll do to you if you kill Sakurai. And then I'll bring him back to life. So...don't even think about it.

@Dyce: Thanks. You can always make me laugh in times of darkness...such as these dark days...

I thought it was already out in Japan? 'cause one of my friends knows a Japanese person who already has the game. Told me that all the Melee characters returned, and all the newcomers we'd seen so far plus Sonic were in. I laughed in his face and went on to own him...

Pikapi30...that's ancient news. Everyone here knows that. We actually check the site on time.

Okay, so I just watched the Japanese-site version of the "Sonic the Hedgehog Joins the Brawl!" and nothing changed except his voice. Much different from the U.S. version. (And I mean the voice, not the language. I'm not that dumb...usually...)

And how come no one thanked me for slaying all the Pichus?

twilight_hero, signing off.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Repryx...think of the worst thing you possibly can, then infinitely multiply it. That's what I'll do to you if you kill Sakurai. And then I'll bring him back to life. So...don't even think about it.

twilight_hero, signing off.
THe Worse thing...Never Release BRawl....AHH TOO MUCH FOR ME TO THINK ABOUT!!!! *Reaches for Keyblade* Lock My Memory!!!!

Rhyme

Smash Lord
As many of you may have already heard, we have had to delay the launch of Super Smash Bros. Brawl by just a little bit—it will now be launching on February 10th in the Americas. I know that many of you will be disappointed by this news, but please understand that the extra development time will enable us to make the game the best it can be. It is my earnest hope that you will all be enjoying this game for many years, and we are all working very hard toward that goal.

This game won't be "the best it can be" unless it includes Ness...-ponders-

NESS CONFIRMED!! :chuckle:

Fawriel

Smash Master
Doesn't it raise any eyebrows that Lucas wasn't playable in the demo? That might suggest that he is unlockable, which I think further speaks for his replacement of Ness, because I really doubt that both would be unlockables if they coexist at all...

Naturally, I also expected PT to be a starter and he wasn't in the demo. That was just my gut feeling, though.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
The Characters not in the demo are, Wario, PT, Snake, Lucas, Zelda, IC, and... Kirby? Obviously this is not the official default roster,Kirby plays a very important role in story mode so I don't think they'll make him secert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom