• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
if the PT was actually commanding with his voice being used, then i personally think it could mess up mindgames. i mean, if a Falco's coming at u, wut are u gonna expect? anything for that matter. u could be shined, most people think. but with PT, 'SQUIRTLE, HEADBUTT NOW!!!" "whoa i really didnt expect to see that coming..."

Repryx

Smash Champion
Lolz Id Laugh @ that kinda stuff but Ironically even w/ that advantage people would still fall for it...
Maybe if PT RECOMENDED Moves that would take midgames to a new level like PT-"Squirtle headbut"
And Squritle does bubblebeam!

Fawriel

Smash Master
It's not so much a question of surprise, really.
But think about it... you play as the Pokemon, not the trainer. That means that you immediately use attacks. The computer-controlled trainer would have to shout the "command" while the Pokemon already started doing it.

Squirtle: *uses Water Gun*
Trainer: "Squirtle! Water Gun, now!"
Squirtle: *is already done*

I think he'll be mute ( silent, nameless protagonist, probably various different trainers possible to choose from ) and his "commands" will just be 'shouting' silently while waving his hands in the direction of the attack quickly.

EDIT:

Trainer: "Do a barrel roll!"

I'm first! :p

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised there hasn't been more debate about PT's Final Smash, maybe he'll send all three out at once for a tri-attack.

It's not so much a question of surprise, really.
But think about it... you play as the Pokemon, not the trainer. That means that you immediately use attacks. The computer-controlled trainer would have to shout the "command" while the Pokemon already started doing it.

Squirtle: *uses Water Gun*
Trainer: "Squirtle! Water Gun, now!"
Squirtle: *is already done*

I think he'll be mute ( silent, nameless protagonist, probably various different trainers possible to choose from ) and his "commands" will just be 'shouting' silently while waving his hands in the direction of the attack quickly.

EDIT:

Trainer: "Do a barrel roll!"

I'm first! :p
i didnt think itd be like ICs where Nana attacks a few frames after. i thought itd be programmed to say the attack before it happens, because u technically are playing as the Trainer, wut with the switching stuff
I'm surprised there hasn't been more debate about PT's Final Smash, maybe he'll send all three out at once for a tri-attack.
yea but and the attacks should be Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, Hydro Cannon maybe.

EDIT: how the hell do u fix your sig so people could see the rest???
EDIT 2: nvm...

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
how the hell do u fix your sig so people could see the rest???
Ugh, I have the dumb problem so much. Sometimes it shows it all, yet others it cuts out half the sig. Drives me nuts. I'm not sure how but i know if i have a problem I'll go back, edit my sig, not change a thing, save changes and it will magically work now. :confused:

PT final smash...hmmm...some kind of tri attack where he brings out all three pokemon, like many others have said, sounds most likely to me. Can't really think of any other ideas that make more sense at the moment.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I imagine an almost instantaneous command/attack sequence. At the exact moment that the trainer yells "WATERGUN!", Squirtle attacks. Almost as if it ran on the same sound effect (if it already isn't). And I don't think he'll be yelling for every single A move, maybe some, but not all. That would totally ruin the character for competative play (though I doubt we'll be seeing much of him), not so much for giving away attack patterns, but for the sheer annoyance of a kid yelling in the background the whole time you're playing. It's like playing with your little cousin right in your ear, but you can't physically stop them from yelling. And now try to imagine a 4 player PT brawl screamfest... fuggedaboudit!

Also, will the Pokemon change color along with the trainer?
And if one PT bumps into another one too many times will they start bickering in the background?
And what will a PT do if their Pokemon all faint? Just sit there quietly until the match is over?
GOD! THIS CHARACTER RAISES SO MANY QUESTIONS!
Though secretly... I'm loving it!

Oh, and huzzah for the racy update today.
QUESTION: How is it alright for the Devil, the sole icon of evil in many religions, quite possilbly the one character you would NOT want to expose small children to, to show up in Brawl as an AT that will appear in countless battles whether you want him to or not as long as you have ATs turned on, but it wasn't ok for a tiny dragon with little to no ties at all to any religion to show up in Melee as a trophy that you can overlook any time you like?

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
I imagine an almost instantaneous command/attack sequence. At the exact moment that the trainer yells "WATERGUN!", Squirtle attacks. Almost as if it ran on the same sound effect (if it already isn't). And I don't think he'll be yelling for every single A move, maybe some, but not all. That would totally ruin the character for competative play (though I doubt we'll be seeing much of him), not so much for giving away attack patterns, but for the sheer annoyance of a kid yelling in the background the whole time you're playing. It's like playing with your little cousin right in your ear, but you can't physically stop them from yelling. And now try to imagine a 4 player PT brawl screamfest... fuggedaboudit!

And if one PT bumps into another one too many times will they start bickering in the background?
And what will a PT do if their Pokemon all faint? Just sit there quietly until the match is over?

QUESTION: How is it alright for the Devil, the sole icon of evil in many religions, quite possilbly the one character you would NOT want to expose small children to, to show up in Brawl as an AT that will appear in countless battles whether you want him to or not as long as you have ATs turned on, but it wasn't ok for a tiny dragon with little to no ties at all to any religion to show up in Melee as a trophy that you can overlook any time you like?
Well, we have an angel, so the devil had to pop in there somewhere to show the kiddies that good and evil will always exist together. :p

The pokemon might just change tints or something if theres more than one PT, like how if you had two of the same character in Melee. Otherwise, only the PT will be changing colors I think.
If all of the PT pokemon faint, the omniverse collapses, and we all turn into pears.
Seriously, If a pokemon faints, then itll probably just come back to the stage like a normal character would, and the PT would lose a life/stock/whatever.

And yeah I agree the PT might make some sounds when the Pokemon to a powerful attack or something, but he'll probably just be back there miming things most of the time.

Well, if they bump into each other they'll probably just keep going on their way, or one will walk behind the other or something.

And no, I responded in a mixed up order because I CAN!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well, we have an angel, so the devil had to pop in there somewhere to show the kiddies that good and evil will always exist together. :p

The pokemon might just change tints or something if theres more than one PT, like how if you had two of the same character in Melee. Otherwise, only the PT will be changing colors I think.
If all of the PT pokemon faint, the omniverse collapses, and we all turn into pears.
Seriously, If a pokemon faints, then itll probably just come back to the stage like a normal character would, and the PT would lose a life/stock/whatever.

And yeah I agree the PT might make some sounds when the Pokemon to a powerful attack or something, but he'll probably just be back there miming things most of the time.

Well, if they bump into each other they'll probably just keep going on their way, or one will walk behind the other or something.

1) Good point.

2) I can see the PT changing clothes (and maybe gender) for the color change, I was just wondering if the Pokemon would be tinted Mewtwo style or put on cute articles of clothing Jigglypuff/Pikachu/Pichu style?

3) I was thinking more along the lines of bananas.

Seriously 3) I mean if you play stocks with more than one character. Imagine a 4way Brawl, and PT is the first one out. Sure his Pokemon might disappear into their Pokeballs, but what does the PT do in the meantime that the fight is still taking place? Jump off the cliff and die? Or just sit there quietly twittling his thumbs until the match is set?

4) Agreed.

5) Hey, I'm not here to judge. More power to ya.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
Aeris, I thought it was series, but I didn't actually sleep last night (I was playing a ridiculously amazing game of Italian origins called "Bang!"), so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit off my game. Also, did I hear someone call out "Grammar freaks, ASSEMBLE!!"? Cause I was going to respond with "Form of... a dangling participle!" but then I realized that I had no other Wonder Twin. And even worse, I'm mixing DC and Marvel references. I really must be tired.

TH, don't fill up too much on n00bs, just in case any of the Mods remember this thread exists and come for our souls.

And for the record, Olimar is in or my name is Andy McSucksatpredictions.
OMG I love Bang!

But rAt...

Hmm...interesting name. If he doesn't show up, I'll pay you five dollars to change your name to that.

Oooh, ooh! Pick me, pick me! I wanna be a Wonder Twin! "Form of... a copula!" Or an ice menorah (kudos if you get that reference!).

Olimar is in, I don't think that you have to worry about it. My only "offbeat" character choice--Skapon--has a decent chance, especially since he appeared more than once on Sakurai's published poll and also because he has piqued Sakurai's interest. The other three three that I'm really pulling for--Toad, Little Mac, and Midna--all have fairly good chances of showing up on the playable roster. Mike Jones would be nice, but I just don't see it happening. :(
Toad and Midna, yes. Who's Little Mac?

lol i wouldn't hope he shouted out things when the pokemon are about to do stuff. if so the other person knows wats bout to bout to happen.

hmmmm i jus thought bout somethin, not sure if someone already pointed it out though. so when red or whoever it is (not a pokemon fan) chooses the new pokemon there most likely some lag as to when he comes out. so dats like a lil free hit. and another thing is can u jus switch pokemon like to dodge an attack or somethin, or would it be like u need a lil bit of time without gettin hit. ex: about as long as zeldas transformation to shiek
You mean like "PK Fire!" or "Falcon PUNCH!"?

I would definitely like to see some English voice acting in Brawl. Getting voices for the creatures would be easy enough, but finding voices for the characters--regardless of the series--would probably be more difficult. It will be interesting to see whether or not they breathe life into Pit by giving him an English voice actor (I would love to do that!).

I think that a female PT as an alternate costume is a great idea AND a viable possibility. It wouldn't seem fair to deny girls the right to demonstrate their Poképrowess with a character of their own gender.

Haha, agreed about the first point. Shouting out attack names would ruin the whole "surprise" factor and high-energy aspect of Smash because the opponent would know exactly what you're up to.

I think that the Pokéswitch will work differently than Zelda's transformation. This character swap will negate attacks once the switch is initiated, with "grace periods" at the beginning and end of the process.

Haha, thankfully not! :chuckle:
Well, we've heard a little bit of his voice, and there's no actual English...of course, there aren't any actual words either...

I definitely agree about the female PT debate.

Again, I say: Like PK Fire? Falcon Punch?

I agree with that.

Seriously, thank God. (LOL, no pun intended.)

Yes, finally, an agreement!
PT: Flamethrower!
At the same time, Charizard: *uses Flamethrower*

I think the Pokémon will change tints, but not actual colors...like Mewtwo, is what I'm trying to get at here.
That would be hilarious.
No, if one Pokémon faints, you'll have to switch and wait for it to regain stamina. I don't think all three can faint.
Yes...so many...

Very good point.

LOL, yeah. To show about good and evil, shadow and light, blah blah blah.

The PT will change colors, the Pokémon tints.

...I like your explanation of Pokémon faintage better than mine...why pears?

Yep.

If a boy and a girl bump into each other, they start making out and the Pokémon all die.

Uh...have fun with that...

Ugh, I have the dumb problem so much. Sometimes it shows it all, yet others it cuts out half the sig. Drives me nuts. I'm not sure how but i know if i have a problem I'll go back, edit my sig, not change a thing, save changes and it will magically work now. :confused:

PT final smash...hmmm...some kind of tri attack where he brings out all three pokemon, like many others have said, sounds most likely to me. Can't really think of any other ideas that make more sense at the moment.
i hate that problem, i had to take off that Tyra Banks pic haha. but this anime version of the Melee characters will do.

anywayz, here was my old idea for TP's Final Smash:
Mew comes out and telepathically holds only 1 opponent to unleash a Psycho Boost attack. the attack can be charged by repeatedly tapping A. No Charge: 20%; knockback far enough for a "close call" recovery as i call it. Charge: 25-50%, harder recovery. Full Charge: 60%, knockback to make the "scope" look.
that used to be my old idea because i had an idea of PTs in different generations. it was =nt only Mew either. it was depending which gen costume it is
1. Mew 2. Celebi 3. Jirachi 4. the 3 "lake" Pokemon
yea...

Rhyme

Smash Lord
About time you got here! And check your PMs, I sent you a link to a story I'm writing...

I really wanna see what happens when the Pokémon get exhausted...
That isn't so tough. Let's say that this character is 'followed' with a timing mechanism. Each time you reach a checkpoint, one pre-determined number, the game automatically adjusts this character's offense/defense ratio. Each of the three Poke'mon will still be playable, simply not as effective as the next one in the cycle, if you continue playing as the same one.

Iff your story is about eating someone it's worth a read. ^^

1) I've been praying for Olimar too, I think he'd be a good addition.

4) I hope you're right about Charizard being the Ridley precursor.
Olimar would make a VERY nice character edition. Full of originality and whatnot, it really is shamefull that his greatest chance for Brawl is as an Assist Trophy.

That got me thinking as well. Charizard is, in many ways, similar to Ridley. You're all aware of my preoccupation with Dark Samus, so trust when I say that Charizard is a SORRY excuse to not have Ridley in this game. He has every right. Even though his inclusion makes it unlikely that a second playable Metroid villain will be playable, it's still not fair to exclude him because of some stupid poke'mon. I'll agree with whoever said it, though. This is a step in the right direction because it shows that a dragon-type form will work in the game's new physics.

My guess is that a Pidgeotto or Pidgeot will carry him to the next platform, in keeping with the first-gen theme and the allusion to Ash.

Grab a box of Kleenex just in case; when presented with the idea, Sakurai responded VERY enthusiastically.

EDIT: lol. Dyce, I actually had that same exact thought (big surprise!), but I opted not to post it. Proof that, once again, we function on the same wavelength.
I'm not so sure that keeping with the first-gen theme is appropriate here. It'd be better if PT ran/jumped everywhere, trying to remain relatively close to his active poke'mon.

Ouch, that one hurt. Diddy going solo would make me much happier, but I suppose all we can do is wait and see.

What frequency is that? I'm having trouble identifying it using this outdated piece of shiite.

Grammatical note: it's "series". Just "series", no apostrophe required. Yes, the singular is the plural as well. You're creating a possessive form unnecessarily. :p

Something else to consider about PT: when one of his monsters is KO'ed, what happens?
Yeah! Go Grammar Freak!

Just throwing this out there; PT should evaporate a la Nana when his/her poke'mon falls in battle. He/she should then appear right underneath the re-spawn platform, and the poke'mon most recently KO'ed should appear, revitalized and prepared to continue the fight. On a side note, my suggestion appears more convincing if I leave yours out of the quote, which is my reason for doing so. I'm so manipulative at times. *sigh*

Oh, i read in another forum somewhere that people were wondering why the word mother was on the franklin badge, well it is because the franklin badge is a item you get in earthbound that deflects items and was called mother 2 in japan. the first mother was called earthbound zero in the U.S.
Good point. Wasn't Ness from Mother two, and if so, wouldn't a Mother 2 item foreshadow his return?

Aeris, I thought it was series, but I didn't actually sleep last night (I was playing a ridiculously amazing game of Italian origins called "Bang!"), so you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit off my game. Also, did I hear someone call out "Grammar freaks, ASSEMBLE!!"? Cause I was going to respond with "Form of... a dangling participle!" but then I realized that I had no other Wonder Twin. And even worse, I'm mixing DC and Marvel references. I really must be tired.

TH, don't fill up too much on n00bs, just in case any of the Mods remember this thread exists and come for our souls.

And for the record, Olimar is in or my name is Andy McSucksatpredictions.
As Italian as I can rightfully claim to be, I'm quite unfamiliar with this "Bang" of which you speak. Your enthusiam causes me to regret this lack of knowledge.

Haha, I was ABOUT to make a joke using a dangling participle, but throwing aside fragmented bits of thought pains me so, and alas, I could not.

No, if one Pokémon faints, you'll have to switch and wait for it to regain stamina. I don't think all three can faint.

If a boy and a girl bump into each other, they start making out and the Pokémon all die.
Word to the wise - from the not-so-wise - don't ask who someone is, Google them instead. That is if you really care.

Read my POV on Aeris' question, it addresses your concerns equally well.

I doubt the players will be capable of interacting with the PT directly or, for that matter, have PT - PT interference.

Makes more sense than anything else I've heard here. I'll drink to that.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
That isn't so tough. Let's say that this character is 'followed' with a timing mechanism. Each time you reach a checkpoint, one pre-determined number, the game automatically adjusts this character's offense/defense ratio. Each of the three Poke'mon will still be playable, simply not as effective as the next one in the cycle, if you continue playing as the same one.

Iff your story is about eating someone it's worth a read. ^^
Thanks, Rhyme...thanks a lot. So if it's not about eating someone, it's not worth reading?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I hadn't intended to say anything. However, after I finished addressing your post, I remembered a threat you made to some n00b, saying you'd eat him/her, and I thought that was a good way to end it. That was just a joke, I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. I'm sure it's a wonderful story.

~rh

Smash Lord
Wow.

I've been on vacation for a week and now that I finally check up on the confirmed characters...

Pokemon Trainer?

****ing awesome.

Repryx

Smash Champion
I have a Feeling due to the Stamina thingy All of them are gonna have Uber evil Moves...SO Will a popular strategy be switching out to avoid certain Final Smashes? I.E Pit, Link etc.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
At frist I wasn't too sure about the "Pokémon Trainer", but now I love the "Pokémon Trainer". I think he's the best charater, by far. I just love the way he's new to the game, and the way he works, I mean three Pokemon ( cool or what :) ). So imo, he's going to be very good, or very crap. If he is crap, he will still be my main to the end.

Pokémon Trainer: FTW, (with a little help by three Pokemon).

Repryx

Smash Champion
Does anyone think there is gonna be a Limit as to how often you can switch? Maybe a 5 sec wait? Orr do we see a Switch Infinite going on?

well for the Stamina thing, hopefully the pokemon in thier balls will heal a little during time (or every time the one out gets damage). hopefully their moves wont be too bad, i think theyll be cool as well as unique (also dont say the homosexual word. i got a point today for saying it :()

EDIT: srry for getting off topic here, but did anyone ever notice wtf Fox was doing???

doesnt really look like anything he did in Melee...

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
At frist I wasn't too sure about the "Pokémon Trainer", but now I love the "Pokémon Trainer". I think he's the best charater, by far. I just love the way he's new to the game, and the way he works, I mean three Pokemon ( cool or what :) ). So imo, he's going to be very good, or very crap. If he is crap, he will still be my main to the end.

Pokémon Trainer: FTW, (with a little help by three Pokemon).
Again, I say: meh.

Does anyone think there is gonna be a Limit as to how often you can switch? Maybe a 5 sec wait? Orr do we see a Switch Infinite going on?
I think you can switch as often as you wish, but it's just not good for the Pokémon.

well for the Stamina thing, hopefully the pokemon in thier balls will heal a little during time (or every time the one out gets damage). hopefully their moves wont be too bad, i think theyll be cool as well as unique (also dont say the homosexual word. i got a point today for saying it :()

EDIT: srry for getting off topic here, but did anyone ever notice wtf Fox was doing???

Yes, they will be cool and unique, and I do love the idea, but I don't think I'll like them. As characters, I mean.

No, it really doesn't. Maybe he's taunting? Maybe he's trying Counter without a sword? (i olweys noo foxiz where dum...)

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman

Hmmm, it looks like he is floating like peach did in melee.

oh i forgot who said it but yes ness was in mother two and the first mother, i havent had the chance to play the third one yet so i cant say if he is in that one as well. but the franklin badge is a item givin to ness by puala in happy happy villige with all the blue people and everything, sorry for getting off topic.

Stanima will be nice, it will prevent people who used fox or falco in melee to bounce all over the place with out slowing down.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Captain Falcon is going to be the next confirmed character.
Nope Defintly Ness
BZZZT! Both wrong. It's PEACH! :grin:

Ugh...just picturing all of my cousins collectively screaming without stop makes me want to go all Mike Jones on them and shove bananas in my ears. :chuckle:

I would have to imagine that the Pokémon would change colors/add accessories along with the trainers. Otherwise, how would one discern one PT's Squirtle from the other three onstage in a PT free-for-all?

Don't ask me on that last one. I will never understand the logic behind most censorship. :dizzy:

You mean like "PK Fire!" or "Falcon PUNCH!"?

Well, we've heard a little bit of his voice, and there's no actual English...of course, there aren't any actual words either...

I definitely agree about the female PT debate.

Again, I say: Like PK Fire? Falcon Punch?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mac

Little Mac would be orgasmic. Sakurai has expressed an interest in the character; he also commented on the series's "international popularity". Good stuff.

Hahah, well it's hard to say. With Ness, PK Fire is initiated while the phrase is said. With Falcon, on the other hand, the move is so slow that saying it doesn't do much to prevent someone from dodging it.

^^^^
I'll be pissed if PT whips out Lucario for his FS. Lucario needs his own character slot or I just won't be happy with Sakurai at all, regardless of how perfect the game is otherwise.
He won't because of generation discontinuity (like point discontinuity--yayyy calculus!). If, indeed, a Pokémon does serve as his FS, expect Mewtwo. Pika, Jiggs, PT, Lucario sounds like a reasonable quartet to me.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I know, I was just kidding. :p
@_@ Alright.

Do you doubt the potential interest arroused from the reader of your story with the mention of somebody eating somebody else? :laugh:

A dodging animation, or the windup for a smash attack, perhaps? I wouldn't doubt the chances that Fox was given a different move, considering how much his moves changed from Smash64 to Melee. I'm just throwing my two cents in.

EDIT:
He won't because of generation discontinuity (like point discontinuity--yayyy calculus!). If, indeed, a Pokémon does serve as his FS, expect Mewtwo. Pika, Jiggs, PT, Lucario sounds like a reasonable quartet to me.
Good point. I'd also like to add to your statement and say "Thought discontinuity is a _ _ _ _ _."

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
That's what I was thinking, it's got to be 5 sec, or it would be broken. But if it is a Limit like 5 sec, it might be hard to play as.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
BZZZT! Both wrong. It's PEACH! :grin:

Ugh...just picturing all of my cousins collectively screaming without stop makes me want to go all Mike Jones on them and shove bananas in my ears. :chuckle:

I would have to imagine that the Pokémon would change colors/add accessories along with the trainers. Otherwise, how would one discern one PT's Squirtle from the other three onstage in a PT free-for-all?

Don't ask me on that last one. I will never understand the logic behind most censorship. :dizzy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mac

Little Mac would be orgasmic. Sakurai has expressed an interest in the character; he also commented on the series's "international popularity". Good stuff.

Hahah, well it's hard to say. With Ness, PK Fire is initiated while the phrase is said. With Falcon, on the other hand, the move is so slow that saying it doesn't do much to prevent someone from dodging it.

All right, thanks.

It's not a quartet, it's a...a...d@mn it, what is the word? Screw it: a sixtet.

True about Falcon Punch. But you get what I mean.

@_@ Alright.

Do you doubt the potential interest arroused from the reader of your story with the mention of somebody eating somebody else? :laugh:

A dodging animation, or the windup for a smash attack, perhaps? I wouldn't doubt the chances that Fox was given a different move, considering how much his moves changed from Smash64 to Melee. I'm just throwing my two cents in.
Try the first half again? I'm confused.

Oh yeah. He probably has changed a lot. After all...

To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.
...so states the wisdom insanity of Sakurai.

Repryx

Smash Champion

SHinkuu HADOUKEN no I becha Hes goin an illusion or a new karate move HIYA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom