• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The rAt said:
It was mine.
Heh, I was just gonna' say that.

I'm not too excited about the Pokemon Trainer though. There are a few problems I have with him.

1: The name. Why not "Red", which is, in fact, that character's name? If we can have such generic names, why not "Space Mercenary", "Protagonist of the Zelda games", and so on.

2: There'll be one Pokemone everyone plays as. And it'll probably be Squirtle. Also, I hardly think he'll be played at higher levels, what with the player being forced to switch Pokemon all the time. You'd think the Zelda/Sheik debacle would've taught them...

3: NO CHARIZARD IN POKEBALLZ

4: You don't actually play as him. Seriously, this is a really lame idea. There are other characters they could've spent time making rather than CHARIZARD, IVYSAUR and SQUIRTLE. "Pokemon Trainer" you say? Who's that? You mean the background? The flora and fauna?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
@rAt: HAha yeah...I beleive you!

@twighlit hero: my battle was good today, my bro was every character starting top right starting with Ganon and Pichu last and I randomed every time. He beat me twice in 25 battles. Then we had a last standing 1 stock battle with each as Mario (he won barely) and then one with Samuses (I pwned his ***)

@CheifM: Charizard is the ONE Pokemon I've been rooting for this entire time. Don't talk down on HIM/IT!!!
Also...he's not called "Red" because chances are...he has an altern costume that looks a lot like...oh...maybe ASH!!!

@8Sage: Yeah? What symbols?

@Repryx: Yes, they are in without question...

ONLINE FTW
- the last day...Dec 2nd...The world of Smash Bros forever changes...WIFI capabilities beyond the wildest dreams...downloadable updates and additions...Set tourneys for competitives...casual easy managable general system...everything possible -

coming soon to SMASH YOU!

ganon543

Smash Cadet
the new trainer is not a good idea, hes either going to be extremely broken, or horrendously horrible.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Dynamism said:
@CheifM: Charizard is the ONE Pokemon I've been rooting for this entire time. Don't talk down on HIM/IT!!!
Also...he's not called "Red" because chances are...he has an altern costume that looks a lot like...oh...maybe ASH!!!
Well, I haven't, and I was looking forward to seeing good ol' familiar Charizard and Blastoise in Pokeballs, updated for Brawl.

Also, I highly doubt we'll be seeing Ash in Brawl, since, you know...he's never been in a videogame.

P.S. Since we're talking about Pokemon, I just found the best thing ever: http://www.live365.com/stations/pirn

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Heh, I was just gonna' say that.

I'm not too excited about the Pokemon Trainer though. There are a few problems I have with him.

1: The name. Why not "Red", which is, in fact, that character's name? If we can have such generic names, why not "Space Mercenary", "Protagonist of the Zelda games", and so on.
Many people are hypothesizing that maybe the trainer's alternate outfits are female, or some other trainer so "Red" just wouldn't make any sense, you know?

2: There'll be one Pokemone everyone plays as. And it'll probably be Squirtle. Also, I hardly think he'll be played at higher levels, what with the player being forced to switch Pokemon all the time. You'd think the Zelda/Sheik debacle would've taught them...
It did teach Sakurai something. I think you missed something from the update... the word "stamina" this means that eventually you WILL have to switch on to the next Pokemon. :o

3: NO CHARIZARD IN POKEBALLZ
lol, they might put another fire type Pokemon in the Pokeball to assume the same role.

4: You don't actually play as him. Seriously, this is a really lame idea. There are other characters they could've spent time making rather than CHARIZARD, IVYSAUR and SQUIRTLE. "Pokemon Trainer" you say? Who's that? You mean the background? The flora and fauna?
This is just your opinion I suppose. Personally I love the idea. That's three whole different playable characters right there, and they only take up ONE spot.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Many people are hypothesizing that maybe the trainer's alternate outfits are female, or some other trainer so "Red" just wouldn't make any sense, you know?
Alright, that makes sense enough to me.

It did teach Sakurai something. I think you missed something from the update... the word "stamina" this means that eventually you WILL have to switch on to the next Pokemon. :o
But that's a terrible idea. What if I love playing as Ivysaur? And what if I also happen to hate how Squirtle moves? It's like, you're an expert Fox player (Squirtle), and midway through a match, the game switches you to Bowser (Charizard).

lol, they might put another fire type Pokemon in the Pokeball to assume the same role.
Probably. But it was a tradition, however short.

This is just your opinion I suppose. Personally I love the idea. That's three whole different playable characters right there, and they only take up ONE spot.
Yeah, it is. If you like it, fine, but I think the whole setup stinks.

P.S. They may only take up one spot on the character select screen, but that doesn't mean it took any less time to create them as playable characters. For those three Pokemon that we've lived with for over a decade, we've invisibly lost out on playing as some obscure, niche character (i.e. an awesome character), like Takamaru or Jill or...or Geno.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
You know I'm not 100% how this will work out myself. I'm hoping he does balance the three out... I mean it would suck to have one pwn like Charizard, but another suck.

I'm sure Sakurai will still get in plenty of odd characters. He's had a heck of a lot more time with this game then Melee (or so I've heard.), and plus there's rumored to be a roster of 45 or so playable characters, so I'm sure there'll be room for the underrepped game series.

I hope so at least, I personally want a Golden Sun character in.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Brawl's been in development for about as long as Melee*, which is worrisome considering we're supposed to get an online mode, around 40 characters, and a much bigger story mode...

* - It started in October of '05.

Sensai

Smash Master
So, any guesses as to what tonight's update will bring?

(I haven't visited this thread in about 15 pages....meaning, a day, tops.)

DarkMagus505

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else see it as weird that they haven't yet put up the info on Metaknight, nor Solid Snake as they have already been confirmed before The Trainer, Ike, etc...?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Does anyone else see it as weird that they haven't yet put up the info on Metaknight, nor Solid Snake as they have already been confirmed before The Trainer, Ike, etc...?
I didn't even ponder a fraction of my mind into the possible thought in the burried abyss known as weird...Meta Knight! We're all stoked! We know he's in! We don't know the circumstance! Suspense, anxiety ect...

Snake is 3rd Party, Saki said 3rd Party are all unlokable chars. If it's anything like melee...He won't release a word more until after release...He's got alot to show us before he needs to get into secret things anyway!

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
well maybe Ike and trainer are starters. like peach bowser IC etc. were starters in melee but they weren't in ssb64. and i think we havn't gotten anything on meta and snake because they're secret characters. if meta was secret it would probably be as hard unlocking him as it was for jigglypuff.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
So, any guesses as to what tonight's update will bring?

(I haven't visited this thread in about 15 pages....meaning, a day, tops.)
I know what you mean. The problem isn't that people post so much, it's that people all post at once. Apparently at certain hours of the day nobody has anything to say, but at others, virtually everyone wants to weigh in. It boggles my mind, because usually the hours when nobody is posting are the hours when I actually have time to read what people have to say. The upshot is that the discussion inevitably cycles back to the same topics every few pages. See below post for reference.

Mukoe890, pretty much everyone has assumed that. However, the part about Metaknight being a secret character makes zero sense, considering he was revealed in the first trailer and PT and Ike were not revealed, both of whom we assume are starters.

My guess is tonights update will be somebody's FS. I'll get back to you after the update on whose.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
I don't see why female alt. costumes would keep him from being called "Red." Peach's alt. costume is Daisy, but they didn't just call her "Princess."

The more likely answer is that the character is supposed to be a generic pokemon trainer. Unlike other characters that the player names (Link, Ness) there are supposed to be multiple pokemon trainers in the world. Each player is supposed to co-exist with the others and trade/battle/etc. So where there's only 1 link in the world, and 1 ness, there are tons of pokemon trainers, not just Red, Ash, or whoever else.

SamusMeleeMaster

Smash Cadet
Nintendo dosn't even know how they are going to do snakes moves yet
They Obviously showed snakes moves in the second Trailer...and hes already been confirmed...just look closly at the triple kick he does in the second trailer...thats from MGS2 and the rest of the moves are well regonized from previous MGS games...

*Reh Reh Reh*:chuckle:

Fawriel

Smash Master
I don't see why female alt. costumes would keep him from being called "Red." Peach's alt. costume is Daisy, but they didn't just call her "Princess."

The more likely answer is that the character is supposed to be a generic pokemon trainer. Unlike other characters that the player names (Link, Ness) there are supposed to be multiple pokemon trainers in the world. Each player is supposed to co-exist with the others and trade/battle/etc. So where there's only 1 link in the world, and 1 ness, there are tons of pokemon trainers, not just Red, Ash, or whoever else.
Actually, both answers are true.
Your point against the former is nonsensical. They didn't call her Princess because Daisy is not a costume change, it's just a palette swap. Peach doesn't turn into Daisy, she's just Peach with different colors. There's no importance given to that detail. It's just a little homage and that's that.

The third reason, which adds to the second one, is immersion. Silent, somewhat generic protagonists are meant to be identified with. You might well be able to name the trainer yourself. Far-fetched, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai.
More costumes will only add to that, and it's so easy to do and such a convenient way to appeal to female gamers more, I'll be really surprised if Sakurai doesn't do it.

Repryx

Smash Champion
You Really thought that out didnt you?

But your right its not Farfetch'd

EDIT; Seems strange But what if the PT had some type of Connection w/ the Mii? Its probably not gonna happen but its not entirely out of the question

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
I know what you mean. The problem isn't that people post so much, it's that people all post at once. Apparently at certain hours of the day nobody has anything to say, but at others, virtually everyone wants to weigh in. It boggles my mind, because usually the hours when nobody is posting are the hours when I actually have time to read what people have to say. The upshot is that the discussion inevitably cycles back to the same topics every few pages. See below post for reference.

Mukoe890, pretty much everyone has assumed that. However, the part about Metaknight being a secret character makes zero sense, considering he was revealed in the first trailer and PT and Ike were not revealed, both of whom we assume are starters.

My guess is tonights update will be somebody's FS. I'll get back to you after the update on whose.
Yeah, I basically post every time someone else does...I'm on most of the day.

I really, really hope Meta Knight isn't secret. I was planning on secondary-ing him (after Link, of course).

You mean today's update? No, today's update sucked. Like whoa.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
A dec 3rd tournament would be sick as hell. Everyone would be in the dark as far as advanced techniques go, it would be so random lol. I'm going to look into organizing this. Or maybe the weekend following the release. To allow for time to procure the game, although it'd be much better for everyone to PRE ORDER!
Hey guys i will definetly participate if you guys host a out of box tourney, my brother works at gamecrazy and has already reserved a ssbb for himself and me( reason for 2 games is, my brother and i live in same city, but different houses.)

40 chars. dang, i will explode if they put that maney in, this will make the game a lot more interesting, once i own the game i will not stop playing it!!!!!!!

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
Hey guys i will definetly participate if you guys host a out of box tourney, my brother works at gamecrazy and has already reserved a ssbb for himself and me( reason for 2 games is, my brother and i live in same city, but different houses.)

40 chars. dang, i will explode if they put that maney in, this will make the game a lot more interesting, once i own the game i will not stop playing it!!!!!!!
So true!

How can you not spell the word Many.....
So true!

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that happens to me too. I was just kidding above.
ya, i kind of figured you were.

I know you arn't aloud to do this in this thread, but i just opened my site, and i want people to know, and i want to put a forum on it so people can discuss stuff like this but on my site, does anyone know how do to make my profile get "out there"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom