• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
"It’s rumored that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see."

So are we to infer that his entire moveset is rooted in flatulence, or at least heavily influenced by gaseous output? That would be a bit demeaning. =/

Sensai

Smash Master
And not very interesting. It'd get really old really quickly...fart jokes are terrible to begin with, but having an entire character who's basically just one big fart joke?

/pass

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Agreed. Wario has SO much more to offer--the possibilities are endless!--that it would just be a shame to relegate him solely to the comic relief bin.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'm not sure that phrase is referring to his flatulence, the translation seems a bit iffy. In the update thread, the other languages were translated and it seems that they just meant his style is unpredictable and unusual from what I gathered.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
IMO, I think that "Mario's scared face/run away" thing is Mario's dash reverse. This is an unconfirmed game aspect, but if they can make characters look at other characters in mid-battle as we've seen in other shots (much like the one with Pit looking over his shoulder at Link), then maybe when a Final Smash is activated all eyes will fearfully be on the powered-up character? Though, this could just be an altered face to make the screenshot more humorous.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
I have a theory!

So far there are 3 characters that have 5 jumps... and one (Jigglypuff) we know she/he is going to be in. That means 4 characters already have 5 jumps.

Plus, melee was very unbalanced. It was, and you know it.

To the point... i think Sakurai has made all character's jump height the same... even Pikachu's, with Pits. Except Pikachu = 2 jumps, and Pit= 5 jumps. The more jumps the more versatile you can be.

Anyways, if this is true, i think Sakurai is starting to balance the game more!

What do you guys think?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I'm going to guarantee that not all characters jump heights will be the same. I'm sure Sakurai has altered some jumps/recoveries to make the game more balanced (Mario's uB for example is without-a-doubt altered for the better), but making every characters jumps the same height would take the "authenticity" out of characters. Imagine Bowser jumping the same height as every other character. Not only doesn't it make sense, it just isn't the heavy, slow, unagile Bowser we've all grown to love. Jump height may seem like an insignificant part of a character's persona, but it's just as important as the way they play. In fact, it IS part of the way they play!

But you are right about one thing, it looks like Sakurai is doing very well with balancing the game more.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Speaking of farts, though... anyone else think Wario's 3rd jump will be a rocket-propelled barking spider?

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
Lol, that appears to be his dash move. I love it, I really want to play as him. Is it just me, or does he seem to be the most graphical looking character so far...
to me he looks like a fun char to play with, hey i like ur sig. FINALLY!!! another person who wants C.Olimar in brawl, if hes in it im gonna make him broken.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Meta Owns Ur Dad said:
Lol, that appears to be his dash move. I love it, I really want to play as him. Is it just me, or does he seem to be the most graphical looking character so far...
That title probably goes to Samus right now. But hey, once MASTER CHIEF and LEON SCOTT KENNEDY are announced...she's out.

DynamicDuo said:
FINALLY!!! another person who wants C.Olimar in brawl
Hey, I'm all for the guy too.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I dunno about most "graphical-looking", but Wario is certainly the most stylized character thus far.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm going to pass on the whole 'everyone has the same jump' idea too. Not because of anything you said, but because I don't think that Sakurai is stupid enough for that.

Sure, Melee wasn't completely balanced, but it's a lot more balanced then most think. Yes, the tourney scene is usually run by 6 or 7 characters, but it doesn't stop others from excelling (Aniki, Bum, Fumi, Chu are examples). Again: it's more balanced the most people think.

The only true way to balance a fighting game is to make everyone identical. You don't want that.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I'm gonna have to second... er, third... er, whatever the whole Olimar thing. I mean, he's a pretty original character by way of comparison. For how many guys we've got swinging swords around there might as well be one who picks colorful pigmies out of the ground and makes them do his bidding.

As far as Wario's moveset, I really hope Nintendo handles it with some degree of tact. I mean, one gas based attack is going to get on people's nerves very quickly. But a whole characterful? Seriously? I mean, I've been under the impression that Nintendo is trying to expand their demographic, and making anyone over 12 years old embarressed to play a game certainly doesn't help that.

As far as equality in jumping goes, I'm going to have to side with Sensai. I'd rather have them screw over my little yellow compadre once again then having characters start losing their edge. Just makes it all the sweeter when I hand people their ***.

Anyone else bothered by the uselessness of some of these updates? I mean, I really don't know why I needed to wait a whole day to see a few more pictures of Wario...

Andy

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well, I wonder if I'm the first to deduce this. Nah, certainly other's have speculated even before it was announced. What I mean is Fox's Reflector. The little object on Fox's waist has officially been announced as the reflector.

Anyway my point is, a lot of what makes Fox top tier is his speed. And Shining is a HUGE part of a high level Fox's game. Well now it seems that an animation has been added to this move. Now it seems Fox must remove the item from his waist before initiating the attack.

I'm not saying that it's something you have to prepare before hand, but that this animation will tack on additional frames to the reflector. Thus making it, well slower.

I know that the developers realize that to reflect it has to be fast, but will it still be fast enough to Waveshine or any more semi-advanced attacks involving the Shine?

I'm sure this has already been said but I can't find it. So I wanted to hear your'lls opinions on it. "Could Fox be dropping drastically on the Tier List?" Not only from this mind you but from what we know and what we can speculate.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
The whole jump thing is obviously not going to happen i mean Falco and Bowser having the same jump? not likely.
And id rather have a broken game than a game were all the characters are the same! (Samus is very shiny isn't she?)

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm sure this has already been said but I can't find it. So I wanted to hear your'lls opinions on it. "Could Fox be dropping drastically on the Tier List?" Not only from this mind you but from what we know and what we can speculate.
Fox has already been slightly nerfed in the PAL version, where I think he's considered 3rd or 4th now.
I think he'll be downgraded considerably this time... I sure hope the reflector really does need some start-up lag.
It has been observed that some of his aerials seem to have more range. This might be true, but I don't think it'd make him more broken. If anything, it could indicate a change in direction of the character. In Melee, his up-attacks were just stupidly strong and fast at the same time. Even his normal up-tilt was stronger than some smashes other characters have.
Maybe he'll now be a character snugly placed in middle tier with great speed and overall weak attacks, and the range of his attacks just counters their weakness.

Of course, this is just hopeful speculation. :ohwell:

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Or they could make Fox slow and powerful with small jump and short range.... Jking XD

Anyways that does sound like a good solution to this Fawriel.

(Click sig!!)

Rash

Smash Ace
Has anyone brought up the possibility of Zamus using Down+B to change her blaster to the whip? Suddenly it makes some sense that she (instead of "transforming" to normal Samus or some BS like that) could have two separate movesets for the gun and the whip, and you could switch by pressing Down+B.

After seeing that screenshot with her and Fox's shine I realized that there are a lot of possibilities for combat with using both a blaster and a whip; maybe so many that's it's nearly necessary for her to have a separate moveset for each.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Has anyone brought up the possibility of Zamus using Down+B to change her blaster to the whip? Suddenly it makes some sense that she (instead of "transforming" to normal Samus or some BS like that) could have two separate movesets for the gun and the whip, and you could switch by pressing Down+B.

After seeing that screenshot with her and Fox's shine I realized that there are a lot of possibilities for combat with using both a blaster and a whip; maybe so many that's it's nearly necessary for her to have a separate moveset for each.
Her Down+B is in the second brawl video, the last sequence before the logo comes up. She is in mid air and she kicks straight down.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
You don't know that for sure. For all you know that move isn't even in the game anymore. Don't assume things.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
O i get what you mean now Roy you just mean use her whip for melee attacks and blaster for range just like link and fox (Except with sword and martial arts (Or something) respectively).

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I called over my dad to look at the Wario screencaps. Me and my dad are long-time fans of his gleeful and maniacal outlook, and we chuckled.

My dad raised an interesting question when he saw that awesome pic of Wario chasing Kirby - "Is that an intimidation attack or is he just out to take a bite out of that Kirby?"

Thoughts? Be nice, my dad hasn't played SSM - he prefers horror, puzzles and racing games.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Nah, I think that's just an attack. Most likely his dash attack. I doubt they'll add moves that "get inside your opponents heads" and make the other characters on the field afraid of you. It's a fighting game, they all need to grow a pair or go home. Lol

And I was thinking... you were all talking about switching Zamus' gun between a blaster and a whip with the press of a button and that got me thinking about Link. You know how Link has bombs? and how Link has arrows? and how in TP he has BOMB ARROWS?! Well what if you could pull out a bomb, then when you go to shoot off an arrow with the bomb still in-hand it could have a bomb attatched to it! How awesome of a combo would that be?!

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
First, on another thread along the lines of "Whats going on at smashbros.com", someone had the CRAZY idea of saying "maybe this game designers will just say 'yep, heres your REFLECTOR, and guess what it does? It REFLECTS ****. And thats it. Just REFLECTING."
I've got to hand it to people who think outside the box and say the move atually might be used for what it's intended to be, and maybe there is no knockback or even any damage when it overlaps peoples hitboxes.

Second, I'm a firm believer that Samus transforms into Zamus via Samus' final smash, and that Zamus would essentially be like a, don't attack me, less powerful, but more mobile version of the varia suit samus, and I've been toying around with the idea the switch between gun/whip with down-b would produce a difference moveset.

EDIT: GOOD CATCH DYCE! That would be sooo sweet. I finally found the time to finish TP today. I'm so ashamed I waited so long lol.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Well, I'm here to back you up in the belief that Samus' FS will produce Zamus. I was thinking though, Sakurai says that "A Final Smash can only be performed by a character once...", now this probably means that no matter how long a match may last, there will only be one Smash Ball per game. I'm fine with this, but I have come to the conclusion that if this is the truth, then Zamus is sh;t out of luck for getting her own FS. Unless, that at some point in the game you'll be able to choose whether you want to start a match as Zamus, then they'd have to give her one, but if that isn't part of the game, then she's going to be Final Smashless.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I disagree about ZS Samus, I think that her transforming via the final smash is possibly the worst way they could implement a transformation. We already know that smash orbs are going to be very rare in games, so limiting a character to being used only through obtaining one just seems like a complete waste of a character, especially seeing as ZS Samus is likely going to play very differently from ZS Samus. You just wouldn't get enough opportunities to use her. It also creates a huge negative if the person doesn't want to turn into ZS Samus and therefore can't use the final smash because of that. Not to mention that Final Smashes are most likely going not going to be used in tournaments, therefore practically banning ZS Samus.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
^^^^
Very true, and the only thing I've ever had to agree with you on TwoK. Lol

It's a bit disappointing. If that's the case, and I turn out to be an unstoppable Zamus player, then I'm never going to have a shot at showing the world how good I am with her. I guess the same could go for anyone else here, but it's hard to get upset for you guys, so I'll just cry for me if I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom