• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ COMPLETE! ] Smashboards Creates: All-Star Strife (An indie-based platform fighter!)

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting has closed! Our first two Companion Cards for this job will be Black Goo and N, submitted by myself and KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ! As for the third card, we have a tie between Alien Hominid and Guppy & Sylvester. As such, we will be holding our first tiebreaker vote via StrawPoll: https://strawpoll.com/polls/2ayLW0X8WZ4

In light of this, the container jobs' deadline will be extended to tomorrow night, which is also when the tiebreaker vote will close. Here are the specifics:
Job #36: Submit a container item!
We are looking for three types of container-like items:
  • A large container which serves as an analogue to the Crates in Smash.
  • A smaller container which serves as an analogue to the Capsules in Smash.
  • A special container which doesn't meet either of the above criteria. Analogues to other Smash/platform fighter containers are allowed for this category, but don't be afraid to let your imagination run wild!
Feel free to submit for as many categories as you like. Each category will be its own StrawPoll vote.

FazDude

Smash Master
The tiebreaker has ended, and Guppy and Sylvester from cashregister9 cashregister9 will be our third Companion Card from Job 35!

As for the container jobs, my Dimensional Box submission wins by default for the large container jobs. However, since that's the only category that got any submissions, I'm going to save small/special containers for future jobs, probably packed with more exciting jobs.

For now, though, let's talk about our next set of jobs!

Job #37: Submit three super moves for Frisk and/or Cuphead!
Feel free to submit moves for either or both characters. However, since I did a poor job of explaining what super moves are during the Shovel Knight/Orcane run, allow me to explain in a bit more detail:
  • There are three tiers of super moves: 1, 2, and 3, with one super move per tier. Generally speaking, a move of one tier should be more potent than those of lower tiers.
  • Super moves don't need to be direct attacks; Stat boosts or healing are acceptable within reason.
  • A Tier 3 Super Move doesn't need to be a one hit KO like PlayStation All-Stars; It just needs to be the strongest of the three.
  • There's no standard for Super Moves; Not every Tier 3 has to be a cinematic, for example.
Your submission needs to include a super move for each tier, and they will be voted in batch (meaning that all three of your super moves will go against all three of another user's).

If there are any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Job #38: Submit a single-player mode!
Submit a mode for the game which is focused on singleplayer; Multi-Man Smash from Smash is a prime example. Of course, you don't need to copy something from an existing platform fighter if you don't want to. Just make sure your mode is designed with one player in mind.

Both jobs close tomorrow evening.

FazDude

Smash Master
Frisk Super Moves
  1. SOUL Healing - Frisk slowly heals over time for a brief period.
  2. SOUL Burst - The Human SOULs gather around Frisk and release a powerful AOE burst, dealing heavy damage.
  3. SAVE / Reset - This move changes depending on what "stance" Frisk is in.
    1. "ACT Frisk" has Frisk cast a wave of rainbow energy in front of them, dealing heavy damage to opponents without dealing knockback.
    2. "FIGHT Frisk" has Frisk rush forwards with a knife to perform a brutal slash, dealing heavy damage/knockback to opponents.
    3. In either case, opponents over 100% are instantly KO'd by either attack.
Cuphead Super Moves
  1. EX Shot - Cuphead uses the EX variant of whatever shot is currently in his possession; The Peashooter has Cuphead fire a larger energy ball projectile, while the Spread has him fire triangular projectiles in all eight directions.
  2. Giant Ghost - Cuphead summons a muscular ghost bearing his likeness, who proceeds to fly around the stage while spinning for a short period of time. Coming in contact with the ghost deals a strong hit to opponents.
  3. Energy Beam - Cuphead fires a massive beam of liquid from his head straight forwards, dealing multiple hits of damage to opponents before launching them.
Single-Player Mode: Multi-Man Strife
Essentially the Multi-Man modes from Smash. Choose 10, 25, 50, or 100 opponents and see how long you can last! Opponents are randomly generated.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 38:All-Star Mode

The all-star mode is same from Smash, but the order of fighters is same from Brawl, the older character by debut to the youngest character by debut, each one (or two) character(s) on each own home stage,and after the player character knocks out the computer player character,the player character is added on a rest area that has 3 heal items and a teleport for the next character to fight.

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions are closed! My submissions for Frisk and Cuphead's super moves win by default.

As for the single-player modes, we'll be trying something new; A non-ranked vote. Please select your top two modes here: https://strawpoll.com/polls/PKglzlOXEyp. The top two overall will make it into the game!

In the meantime...

Job 39: Submit alternate colors for Quote and/or Shantae!
Same deal as the last four color jobs; Please choose 8 or 16 alternate colors, model swaps are allowed, alternate characters are deconfirms.

Job 40: Submit music for Dark Forest!

Submit six tracks for this spooky stage. Music from Limbo and Inside are both A-OK.

Job 41: Submit music for Stereo Madness!

Submit six tracks for this stage. For tracks originating from Geometry Dash itself, please limit them to songs from official levels.

All four jobs, as well as voting on single-player modes, will close tomorrow evening. The jobs will close Saturday afternoon, with the voting closing tonight as planned.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Due to non-SmashBoards responsibilities that have recently come my way, I’ll be extending the deadline for the current four jobs to tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. Hopefully this gives people more time to submit, and I’ll probably find the time to make my own contributions soon enough.

This won’t affect the single-player mode voting, however; That will still close tonight.

FazDude

Smash Master
To avoid a reply chain of my own, I'll be compiling both voting results and my own submissions into one post.

The winners of the single-player mode vote are All-Star Mode and Multi-Man Strife, submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 and myself.

1. Default
  2. Curly Brace (model swap)
  3. Yellow Quote
  4. Green Curly
  5. Blue Quote
  6. Blue Curly
  7. Goat Quote (model swap)
  8. Goat Curly (model swap)
  1. Default
  2. Blue Outfit
  3. Risky Boots palette
  4. Rottytops palette
  5. Bolo palette
  6. Sky palette
  7. Nega Shantae
  8. Pajamas (model swap)

cashregister9

Smash Hero

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions for Jobs 39-41 are closed! My submissions for Quote alts and Dark Forest's music win by default. As for Shantae and Stereo Madness, they will be voted on in these StrawPolls;
To avoid a reply chain of my own, I'll be compiling both voting results and my own submissions into one post.

The winners of the single-player mode vote are All-Star Mode and Multi-Man Strife, submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 and myself.

1. Default
  2. Curly Brace (model swap)
  3. Yellow Quote
  4. Green Curly
  5. Blue Quote
  6. Blue Curly
  7. Goat Quote (model swap)
  8. Goat Curly (model swap)
  1. Default
  2. Blue Outfit
  3. Risky Boots palette
  4. Rottytops palette
  5. Bolo palette
  6. Sky palette
  7. Nega Shantae
  8. Pajamas (model swap)
Shantae Colors

1. Default Shantae (Red Bedlah)
2. Blue Shantae (Blue Bedlah)
3. Rottytops Colors (Green)
4. Risky Boots Colors (Purple)
5. Dancer Shantae Colors (Gold)
6. Nega Shantae
7. Ninja Shantae
8. Pajama Shantae

Stereo Madness
-Stereo Madness - Geometry Dash
-xStep - Geometry Dash
-Theory Of Everything - Geometry Dash
-Payload - Geometry Dash World
-Viking Arena - Geometry Dash Meltdown
-Press Start - Geometry Dash Subzero
----
Two new jobs are also opening today!

Job 42 and 43: Submit animations for Frisk and/or Cuphead!
It's time to wrap up two more fighters! Please submit a stage entrance, three taunts, and/or three victory animations for either or both characters. Each category of animations will be voted on separately, and you don't have to submit in all three if you don't want to.

Jobs/voting will close tomorrow afternoon!

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 42: Frisk Animations
  • Stage Entrance: Frisk falls onto the stage, landing in a bed of golden flowers before getting back up.
  • Taunts:
    • Up: A text box appears above Frisk's head, which displays a special message depending on the stage. For example, using this taunt on Celeste Mountain would yield the text "The scent of strawberries in the air fills you with DETERMINATION."
    • Side: Frisk wiggles their hips. What a meaningful conversation!
    • Down: Frisk's cell phone rings, prompting them to pick it up. A different voice clip can be heard depending on Frisk's current mode; Toriel for ACT, and Flowey for FIGHT.
  • Victories:
    • The Annoying Dog walks up to Frisk, who kneels down to pet it.
    • Frisk holds up a Save Point to the camera (crushing it if they were in FIGHT mode upon the end of the match).
    • The final victory animation depends entirely on Frisk's current mode.
      • In ACT mode, Frisk is seen selecting "Flee" from the MERCY menu before running off.
      • In FIGHT mode, Frisk just stares into the camera with eyes unnervingly similar to Chara's.
Job 43: Cuphead Animations
  • Stage Entrance: A large black circle opens up on stage, with Cuphead jumping out of it before pulling up his pants.
  • Taunts:
    • Up: Cuphead takes off his head and tips it.
    • Side: Cuphead takes a sip from his own straw.
    • Down: Cuphead flexes, causing bubbles to spew out of his straw.
  • Victories:
    • Cuphead jumps up and down before posing with his hands on his hips.
    • Cuphead holds up a Soul Contract with the name of the last opponent he KO'd.
    • Cuphead flies by in his aeroplane, which now has a banner reading "That's all, folks!" behind it.

Job 43:
Cuphead Animations:

Stage Entrance: Cuphead gets drawn by pencil and comes alive.
(Referencing Cuphead's handdrawn cartoon style)

Up Taunt: Cuphead rises his head while holding his handle.
Side Taunt: Cuphead does a finger gun, but it doesn't shoot.
Down Taunt: Cuphead pulls his pants up, being ready for a battle.

Victory 1: Cuphead does a same pose like on title screen along with Mugman or vice versa.
Victory 2: Cuphead does a tap dance (It's a reference to Cuphead Show).
Victory 3: Cuphead flies in his aeroplane, doing shuttle loops and comically crashes into Ground, rising his hand with thumbs up, meaning that he is okay.

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting for Jobs 39 and 41 have ended! The Shantae alt list made by cashregister9 cashregister9 will be used, as well as my music list for Stereo Madness.

Submissions for Jobs 42 and 43 are closed! My submissions for Frisk's taunts and victory animations win by default; Everything else will be voted on in StrawPolls.
Job 42: Frisk Animations
  • Stage Entrance: Frisk falls onto the stage, landing in a bed of golden flowers before getting back up.
  • Taunts:
    • Up: A text box appears above Frisk's head, which displays a special message depending on the stage. For example, using this taunt on Celeste Mountain would yield the text "The scent of strawberries in the air fills you with DETERMINATION."
    • Side: Frisk wiggles their hips. What a meaningful conversation!
    • Down: Frisk's cell phone rings, prompting them to pick it up. A different voice clip can be heard depending on Frisk's current mode; Toriel for ACT, and Flowey for FIGHT.
  • Victories:
    • The Annoying Dog walks up to Frisk, who kneels down to pet it.
    • Frisk holds up a Save Point to the camera (crushing it if they were in FIGHT mode upon the end of the match).
    • The final victory animation depends entirely on Frisk's current mode.
      • In ACT mode, Frisk is seen selecting "Flee" from the MERCY menu before running off.
      • In FIGHT mode, Frisk just stares into the camera with eyes unnervingly similar to Chara's.
Job 43: Cuphead Animations
  • Stage Entrance: A large black circle opens up on stage, with Cuphead jumping out of it before pulling up his pants.
  • Taunts:
    • Up: Cuphead takes off his head and tips it.
    • Side: Cuphead takes a sip from his own straw.
    • Down: Cuphead flexes, causing bubbles to spew out of his straw.
  • Victories:
    • Cuphead jumps up and down before posing with his hands on his hips.
    • Cuphead holds up a Soul Contract with the name of the last opponent he KO'd.
    • Cuphead flies by in his aeroplane, which now has a banner reading "That's all, folks!" behind it.
Job 43:
Cuphead Animations:

Stage Entrance: Cuphead gets drawn by pencil and comes alive.
(Referencing Cuphead's handdrawn cartoon style)

Up Taunt: Cuphead rises his head while holding his handle.
Side Taunt: Cuphead does a finger gun, but it doesn't shoot.
Down Taunt: Cuphead pulls his pants up, being ready for a battle.

Victory 1: Cuphead does a same pose like on title screen along with Mugman or vice versa.
Victory 2: Cuphead does a tap dance (It's a reference to Cuphead Show).
Victory 3: Cuphead flies in his aeroplane, doing shuttle loops and comically crashes into Ground, rising his hand with thumbs up, meaning that he is okay.
----
There will only be one new job today, but it's a bit of a doozy.

Job 44: Submit reveals for the first trailer!
That's right, folks; Time to start marketing the game! Please pick six fighters, six stages, and three Companion Card characters to be revealed in the first trailer. For your convenience, this document contains all of the game's information so far; Please let me know if you have trouble accessing it!

Voting and trailer submissions will close tomorrow night.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 44:

Fighters:

Tough to narrow it down to six, but...

-Shovel Knight
-Shantae
-Madeline
-Orcane
-Frisk

The first two almost seem like givens for an indie crossover, while Quote makes it clear that it's not just going to be recent hits. Madeline and Frisk are from huge titles (and it seems like it would make sense to reveal an Undertale character right off the bat, both to get people talking and to have it confirmed early; then again, I can see the appeal in drawing the reveal out), and Orcane's from another indie platform fighter, so his gameplay seems like a natural fit.

Stages:

-Celeste Mountain
-Merchant Port
-Pridemoor Keep
-Scuttle Town
-Diogenes' Mountain
-The Stanley Parable Adventure Line

The first four are stages tied to the characters that I picked, while the last two seem unlikely to get playable characters (though I suppose Diogenes could be playable at some point)

I typed out my choices for Companion Cards, but they wound up being the exact same as FazDude's, just in a different order, so I'll pass on that category.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 44:

Characters
-Shovel Knight
-Shantae
-Cuphead
-Madeline
-Hat Kid
-Meat Boy

Stages

-Duel Grounds
-Celeste Mountain
-Floral Fury
-Pridemoor Keep
-Scuttle Town
-Merchant Port

Compenion Cards
-Kick
-Quincy
-Bread

FazDude

Smash Master
Just as a friendly reminder, voting for the Frisk/Cuphead jobs and submissions for the trailer job close in a few hours. Please do try and vote on the former at the bare minimum - We only have two votes as of right now.

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting is closed for Frisk and Cuphead! Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario takes Frisk's stage entrance, I take Cuphead's entrance and taunts, and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds takes Cuphead's victory animations!

Trailer submissions are also closed. Please vote in these StrawPolls:
Job 44
  • Fighters
    • Shovel Knight
    • Orcane
    • Meat Boy
    • Anton
    • Fireboy & Watergirl
  • Stages
    • Merchant Port
    • Pridemoor Keep
    • Diogenes' Mountain
    • Dark Forest
    • Celeste Mountain
    • Duel Grounds
  • Companion Cards
    • Tinker Knight
    • Black Goo
    • Kick
Job 44:

Fighters:

Tough to narrow it down to six, but...

-Shovel Knight
-Shantae
-Madeline
-Orcane
-Frisk

The first two almost seem like givens for an indie crossover, while Quote makes it clear that it's not just going to be recent hits. Madeline and Frisk are from huge titles (and it seems like it would make sense to reveal an Undertale character right off the bat, both to get people talking and to have it confirmed early; then again, I can see the appeal in drawing the reveal out), and Orcane's from another indie platform fighter, so his gameplay seems like a natural fit.

Stages:

-Celeste Mountain
-Merchant Port
-Pridemoor Keep
-Scuttle Town
-Diogenes' Mountain
-The Stanley Parable Adventure Line

The first four are stages tied to the characters that I picked, while the last two seem unlikely to get playable characters (though I suppose Diogenes could be playable at some point)

I typed out my choices for Companion Cards, but they wound up being the exact same as FazDude's, just in a different order, so I'll pass on that category.
Character
-Shovel Knight
-Orcane
-Meatboy
-Hat Kid
-Shantae
-Madeline

Stages
-Merchant Port
-Pridemoor Keep
-Celeste Mountain
-Duel Grounds
-Diogenes Mountain
-Dark Forest

Companion
-Kick
-Black Goo
-Bread
Job 44:

Characters
-Shovel Knight
-Shantae
-Cuphead
-Madeline
-Hat Kid
-Meat Boy

Stages
-Duel Grounds
-Celeste Mountain
-Floral Fury
-Pridemoor Keep
-Scuttle Town
-Merchant Port

Compenion Cards
-Kick
-Quincy
-Bread
---
With that out of the way, it's job time!

Job 45: Submit a boss from a franchise with a fighter!
Simply put, submit a boss from Shovel Knight, Rivals of Aether, UNDERTALE (Deltarune is also OK), Cave Story, Shantae, Antonball, Skullgirls, Celeste, A Hat in Time, Meat Boy, or Fireboy & Watergirl. Note that Cuphead submissions will not be allowed, as the Devil has already been added as a boss.

Voting and submissions will close tomorrow night.

Job 25: Photoshop Flowey (UNDERTALE)

Photoshop Flowey (also known as Omega Flowey or Flowey X) is the final boss of UNDERTALE if the player decides to tackle the Neutral Route. After the player's fight with Asgore, Flowey intervenes to steal the six human souls the monster king had collected thus far, gaining godlike power and a new, more eldritch body to match.

Photoshop Flowey's fight would be remarkably simpler than it is in UNDERTALE, since there would only be one phase. However, the most notable aspect of Photoshop Flowey is his size; He would take up the entirety of the upper blast zone, and while the player is usually unable to pass through his arms, strong attacks can launch a fighter past them and into the side blast zones.

As for attacks, Photoshop Flowey would reprise some of his abilities from UNDERTALE, albiet in a less chaotic, less bullet-helly manner.
  • Botany Bombs: Several bombs drop from the sky, damaging the player with their explosions as soon as they hit the ground.
  • Dentata: Photoshop Flowey deploys a dentata which bounces around the screen for a short time, damaging the player upon contact.
  • Eye Sore: Photoshop Flowey fires several X-shaped bullets from his eyes at the player.
  • Finger Guns: Photoshop Flowey shoots flowery bullets from his fingertips towards the player.
  • Flamethrower: Photoshop Flowey deploys a flamethrower which spews fire forwards, dealing multiple hits to the player.
  • Friendliness Pellets: A yellow circle surrounds the player, with "friendliness pellets" appearing and closing in soon after to damage the player.
  • Vines: Several markings appear at the bottom of the screen. Soon after one appears, a series of vines shoots out to the top of the screen in its place.
Unlike UNDERTALE, Photoshop Flowey does not have an insane amount of attack resistance during the fight; His arms can be attacked, and if the player manages to hit the inside of Flowey's bottom mouth with a projectile or up air, it'll deal a critical hit.
----
Now, why Photoshop Flowey? Well, obvious answer out of the way, he's the main antagonist of his game, and while his second fight as Asriel Dreemurr would be cool, I think his Photoshop form is the more interesting of the two. As for Sans, while I love him, I think he's better off as a fighter or Companion Card than a boss.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Paul (Antonball)

Fighting Paul is really just a regular old 1v1 battle, he's no stronger than a fighter and he only goes out in 3 stocks - the problem is that... Paul isn't animated. He slides across the ground stiffly with the CrazyBus theme as footsteps. There are only context clues of where he hits from dust trails of where his fists or weapons would be and tiny little Pauls that serve as projectiles or traps - not helping matters is that it's also a little hard to realise just who you're fighting as Paul switches which character he imitates every now and then. Pay attention to the background, it may look glitched but you can decipher one of the battle stages in the distance - that along with Paul's size shifting should help you reorganise your battle strategy to take on Paul.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Marie (Skullgirls)

The final boss of Skullgirls.

Her first form would involve many different skull projectiles in various patterns and also she summons skeletons.

The second phase starts with a massive explosion. The fight continues with more skulls and skeletons and also her shadow comes out to attack the player.

The final phase starts with another explosion and she uses all of her previous attacks in a now skeletal form.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ballos (Cave Story)

I don't want to just be "the Cave Story guy", but he seems like he'd be a good fit for a boss in a platform fighter.

In his first phase, he's slightly larger than a player character, and he charges around the room, occasionally leaping into the air before crashing into the ground to produce shockwaves. He will also float through the sky, shooting lightning at the player character. He's fairly predictable, but hits hard.

His second phase has him transform into a large stone sphere, where most of his body serves as a platform. (his eyes are his weak points) He can hop around the stage, trying to crush the player, and hitting him enough takes him to his final phase. (for the purposes of keeping the fight from dragging out, I'm skipping the third phase in the boss fight)

Now, the ground has been replaced with damaging spikes, and Ballos is visibly damaged and surrounded by stony spheres with eyes in them (which act as barriers - the eyes can be attacked, and hitting them enough destroys the spheres) along with platforms. Ballos is hovering in the air, but much like his second form, his eyes remain his weak spots.

I assume that, for the sake of gameplay, he'd be put up against projectile-heavy characters rather than melee fighters. It seems like it would be frustrating from a player's perspective to picture someone like Little Mac fighting him.

FazDude

Smash Master
Sorry for being ever so slightly late than usual, but it's time for the daily update!

Trailer voting has closed!
  • Character reveals and stage reveals all were ties, so I used RNG as a tiebreaker. We will be using the characters submitted by cashregister9 cashregister9 , and the stages submitted by myself.
  • I have won the companion reveal vote, so we'll be using that list.
  • I do want to put together an actual "trailer" mockup like the SMSB thread, so expect that to come out as soon as I can get around to doing it. If a while passes and I still can't find the time, I'll just throw the lists on the doc and call it a day.
Boss submissions have also closed. This'll be our first in-thread voting in a while! Please choose your top two from this list (self-voting is only allowed for second place). The top boss will make it onto the roster!
  • Photoshop Flowey (UNDERTALE) (FazDude)
  • Paul (Antonball) (Wario Wario Wario)
  • Marie (Skullgirls) (cashregister9)
  • Ballos (Cave Story) (Megadoomer)
Job 25: Photoshop Flowey (UNDERTALE)

Photoshop Flowey (also known as Omega Flowey or Flowey X) is the final boss of UNDERTALE if the player decides to tackle the Neutral Route. After the player's fight with Asgore, Flowey intervenes to steal the six human souls the monster king had collected thus far, gaining godlike power and a new, more eldritch body to match.

Photoshop Flowey's fight would be remarkably simpler than it is in UNDERTALE, since there would only be one phase. However, the most notable aspect of Photoshop Flowey is his size; He would take up the entirety of the upper blast zone, and while the player is usually unable to pass through his arms, strong attacks can launch a fighter past them and into the side blast zones.

As for attacks, Photoshop Flowey would reprise some of his abilities from UNDERTALE, albiet in a less chaotic, less bullet-helly manner.
  • Botany Bombs: Several bombs drop from the sky, damaging the player with their explosions as soon as they hit the ground.
  • Dentata: Photoshop Flowey deploys a dentata which bounces around the screen for a short time, damaging the player upon contact.
  • Eye Sore: Photoshop Flowey fires several X-shaped bullets from his eyes at the player.
  • Finger Guns: Photoshop Flowey shoots flowery bullets from his fingertips towards the player.
  • Flamethrower: Photoshop Flowey deploys a flamethrower which spews fire forwards, dealing multiple hits to the player.
  • Friendliness Pellets: A yellow circle surrounds the player, with "friendliness pellets" appearing and closing in soon after to damage the player.
  • Vines: Several markings appear at the bottom of the screen. Soon after one appears, a series of vines shoots out to the top of the screen in its place.
Unlike UNDERTALE, Photoshop Flowey does not have an insane amount of attack resistance during the fight; His arms can be attacked, and if the player manages to hit the inside of Flowey's bottom mouth with a projectile or up air, it'll deal a critical hit.
----
Now, why Photoshop Flowey? Well, obvious answer out of the way, he's the main antagonist of his game, and while his second fight as Asriel Dreemurr would be cool, I think his Photoshop form is the more interesting of the two. As for Sans, while I love him, I think he's better off as a fighter or Companion Card than a boss.
Paul (Antonball)

Fighting Paul is really just a regular old 1v1 battle, he's no stronger than a fighter and he only goes out in 3 stocks - the problem is that... Paul isn't animated. He slides across the ground stiffly with the CrazyBus theme as footsteps. There are only context clues of where he hits from dust trails of where his fists or weapons would be and tiny little Pauls that serve as projectiles or traps - not helping matters is that it's also a little hard to realise just who you're fighting as Paul switches which character he imitates every now and then. Pay attention to the background, it may look glitched but you can decipher one of the battle stages in the distance - that along with Paul's size shifting should help you reorganise your battle strategy to take on Paul.
Marie (Skullgirls)

The final boss of Skullgirls.

Her first form would involve many different skull projectiles in various patterns and also she summons skeletons.

The second phase starts with a massive explosion. The fight continues with more skulls and skeletons and also her shadow comes out to attack the player.

The final phase starts with another explosion and she uses all of her previous attacks in a now skeletal form.
Ballos (Cave Story)

I don't want to just be "the Cave Story guy", but he seems like he'd be a good fit for a boss in a platform fighter.

In his first phase, he's slightly larger than a player character, and he charges around the room, occasionally leaping into the air before crashing into the ground to produce shockwaves. He will also float through the sky, shooting lightning at the player character. He's fairly predictable, but hits hard.

His second phase has him transform into a large stone sphere, where most of his body serves as a platform. (his eyes are his weak points) He can hop around the stage, trying to crush the player, and hitting him enough takes him to his final phase. (for the purposes of keeping the fight from dragging out, I'm skipping the third phase in the boss fight)

Now, the ground has been replaced with damaging spikes, and Ballos is visibly damaged and surrounded by stony spheres with eyes in them (which act as barriers - the eyes can be attacked, and hitting them enough destroys the spheres) along with platforms. Ballos is hovering in the air, but much like his second form, his eyes remain his weak spots.

I assume that, for the sake of gameplay, he'd be put up against projectile-heavy characters rather than melee fighters. It seems like it would be frustrating from a player's perspective to picture someone like Little Mac fighting him.

Finally, it's time for two new jobs!

Job 46/47: Submit super moves for Quote and/or Shantae!
I'm going to repost my explanation from last week for convienence.
Feel free to submit moves for either or both characters. However, since I did a poor job of explaining what super moves are during the Shovel Knight/Orcane run, allow me to explain in a bit more detail:
  • There are three tiers of super moves: 1, 2, and 3, with one super move per tier. Generally speaking, a move of one tier should be more potent than those of lower tiers.
  • Super moves don't need to be direct attacks; Stat boosts or healing are acceptable within reason.
  • A Tier 3 Super Move doesn't need to be a one hit KO like PlayStation All-Stars; It just needs to be the strongest of the three.
  • There's no standard for Super Moves; Not every Tier 3 has to be a cinematic, for example.
Your submission needs to include a super move for each tier, and they will be voted in batch (meaning that all three of your super moves will go against all three of another user's).

If there are any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Boss voting and super move submissions close tomorrow night, which will also see a new character/stage job.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Photoshop Flowey
2. Marie

I'll see if I can come up with super moves for either of them some time tomorrow; I've only beaten one Shantae game, though I have beaten Cave Story.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Quote Super Moves

1. Nemesis - Quote pulls out the Nemesis weapon, firing long-range lightning bolts straight ahead. Quote can move around while the weapon is firing. However, when it hits someone, it gains experience, weakening it so that it fires thinner lightning bolts that don't go as far. If it hits someone with the thinner bolts, it fires rubber ducks instead, which deal pitiful damage.

2. Blade - swinging his sword, a ghostly Mimiga flies out of It, shooting across the screen and filling the area in front of Quote with spectral slashes.

3. Life Pot - restores Quote to full health. (In the games, it's a one-use item reserved for emergencies, but I suppose the time taken to build up to level 3 would balance it)

Not sure if this is the right set-up; let me know if anything needs to be changed, and I'll change it.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Quote Super Moves

1. Nemesis - Quote pulls out the Nemesis weapon, firing long-range lightning bolts straight ahead. Quote can move around while the weapon is firing. However, when it hits someone, it gains experience, weakening it so that it fires thinner lightning bolts that don't go as far. If it hits someone with the thinner bolts, it fires rubber ducks instead, which deal pitiful damage.

2. Blade - swinging his sword, a ghostly Mimiga flies out of It, shooting across the screen and filling the area in front of Quote with spectral slashes.

3. Life Pot - restores Quote to full health, but it can only be used once per life.

Not sure if this is the right set-up; let me know if anything needs to be changed, and I'll change it.
The only thing that I think really needs to be changed is having the Level 3 Super be usable more than once. Having the Life Pot in of itself is fine, but having a Level 3 Super shouldn't be completely useless after one go.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay; I wasn't sure if having a full life refill on command would be too unfair, but I can get rid of that restriction if that would work better.

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting/submissions will close in around two hours. We are still missing a Shantae super move list, but if none show up within that timeframe, I’ll just make it myself to keep the thread moving.

Top Bottom