• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
It simply stops your running animation but is slightly faster than tapping down or the other direction (which causes the character to brake). So it's not a wave dash, it's the opposite. Sorry for being unclear and get your hopes up lol.

For instance: Run->tap shield lightly->jab
The shield will prevent your character from performing a dash attack.
Haha, okay, I figured it wasn't what it sounded like at first. Still cool though.

Teej

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMmsMb_8xA&NR=1

1:07-1:08

I admit that I didn't try anything advanced in melee, nor did I ever play with Jiggs, but the fact that by attacking her while singing causes Falcon to go halfway across the stage is interesting...not much use I can think of at the moment (Other than maybe doing this in Mushroomy...) but...I dunno. >__>

Dunno if this has been brought up...I'm assuming the first post constantly updates....either that or this was in melee and I just never ntoiced since I never used Jiggs. <_________<

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMmsMb_8xA&NR=1

1:07-1:08

I admit that I didn't try anything advanced in melee, nor did I ever play with Jiggs, but the fact that by attacking her while singing causes Falcon to go halfway across the stage is interesting...not much use I can think of at the moment (Other than maybe doing this in Mushroomy...) but...I dunno. >__>

Dunno if this has been brought up...I'm assuming the first post constantly updates....either that or this was in melee and I just never ntoiced since I never used Jiggs. <_________<
Probably just because of the momentum from the raptor boost that made him slide.

On the other hand

SNAKE'S BOX CAN HURT PEOPLE!?!?!?!?!?!?

Edit: 1:55 Snake's box falls on Captain Falcon and HITS HIM for 2% and surprising knockback!

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Adi, about the running reverse up smash thing I said before. It's actually a jump cancel. If you don't have up on analog stick mapped to jump, it won't work. I found that out yesterday. Makes me think what else can be jump-cancelled

I.T.P

Smash Ace
And I'm pretty sure power shielding is still in.
Power shielding is in, and it's easier to do, but the effect is much smaller, it doesn't push your opponent and it doesn't bounce the projectile, it just blocks the knockback and damage that's supposed to be caused to your shield because of the attack.

so basically it's much less helpful than it was in Melee, and the sound is a loud Bass sort of sound.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, I've been pretty **** busy with school lately n' ****, but I found out something pretty interesting with Metaknight's Up B on ledges. Its sort of along the lines of Sheik's Up B ledge stall, but different of course.

First off, regularly on any ledge and given the space, you can get off the ledge and fall down a bit(about 3-4 metaknights), then Up B. This hits anyone near the ledge and depending on how low you fell, you can either glide back onto the stage or grab the edge again. Easily spammable. Not hard to do.

Another thing, on stages like FD, Battlefield, and Smashville where the side of the ledges are like the old FD, you can go very low from the screen(as in the circle is showing the character because you are off screen) with the ledge above you and up B. If done right, the wall should push Metaknight toward the edge and make him instantly grab it. You can also reverse up B and still grab the ledge. Possibly a very good recovery technique, as you can go very low in the stage then Up B, safe from interceptions. Not to mention edge hog timing is very strict in brawl, so if you are getting edge hogged, chances are your Up B will hit them. The next paragraph shows another alternative.

If you fall into the stage and reverse up B, you can land regularly in front of the edge(not on it) with no landing delay. Depending on the timing though, you may have to glide cancel your landing. This method also hits anything around the ledge. I've also landed on the side platform of battlefield, but it's not exactly easy to do(frame perfect crap probably). So again, if you're getting edge hogged, you can easily get into the safe zone like this. Not to mention that if you hit them with the Up B while they're on the ledge, they get wall spiked and that's a free stock.

Even though some of these scenarios are probably less frequent due to brawl's general game mechanics and Metaknight's ability to just fly anywhere instead of being pressured by edgeguarding, these are simply just means to give him more options. Usually, the more options, the better.

I'll have a vid up in a while.

PS: I name it the MetaNoirXX Up B glide cancel dash AKA the MNXXBGCD [/sarcasm]

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
EDIT:

I'm starting to get the timing for the shortest of the three. It seems to be right before launch (activate the move, hear Wolf make his first grunt), you can push B again and you get the short one.

During a botched one however, I found something akin to the peach bomber ledgehog mentioned on page 1. Due to the new 'auto ledge grab' mechanic in the game, from just off center, you can Wolf Illusion and grab the ledge on FD. From what I can tell so far, it's a hell of a lot faster than dashing to the ledge and doing a normal edge-hug.

Does someone want to put this on page 1, or should I?

I've never had a problem with doing Falco or Fox's alternate Side B (the shorter version).

For the life of me, I can't do Wolf's consistently. I got the shortest one with the pseudo-waveland once, but I can't continually do it.

Any help?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Power shielding is in, and it's easier to do, but the effect is much smaller, it doesn't push your opponent and it doesn't bounce the projectile, it just blocks the knockback and damage that's supposed to be caused to your shield because of the attack.

so basically it's much less helpful than it was in Melee, and the sound is a loud Bass sort of sound.
Oh really...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1VncLplv5A

4:59

Now unless Lucario's shadow ball bounce off shields, powershielding does indeed reflect projectiles.

And powershielding never pushed opponents in the first place. Don't know where you got that idea.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I dunno why that was reflected, but that's probably just a special trait for that projectile, trust me, I play brawl regularly.

I'll be uploading some vids into my youtube account today, dunno how long it'll take, since I no longer have the OMFG upload I had in Japan. no game sound - we talked too much in it so I replaced it with MP3s from brawl's soundtrack.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, just shoot a shadow ball at a shield and see if it bounces. If it doesn't then powershielding is still up for debate. It could've just been changed so that it only reflects projectiles under certain conditions. After all, powershielding in melee didn't have the most obvious conditions either (we had to use AR to figure out exactly how it worked).

NE.Flava

Smash Rookie
King Dedede's chain grab for life! And that Dashing shield grab sounds real good :_).

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Its definitely not a new effect. Id question whether Ic's ice blocks bounce off of shields too. Someone needs to test this out extensively.,

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I requested that my "discovery" be put on the first page, but if anyone could do some research on this, that would be great.
Take a look at about 1: 33 in this video. Bowser does a down smash which is normally very low in lag but instead falls backwards off of the ledge in the middle of the down smash.

So, what does this mean? Well, for one thing it's great for smashes with high lag time afterward. And something else is that when combined with the new waveland feature recently discovered, it can be used by almost anyone, anywhere.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143405

What I'd really want to see tested is if this can be done on every ledge, or if there is some special property about the Summit's platforms (other than/related to being slippery). Also, can it be done facing towards the ledge or only backwards? I'd assume only backwards but it wouldn't hurt much to try.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Actually, with brawl's new auto-sweetspot, and considering the whole "walk off and grab the ledge" thing, I'd wager that tech could be used regardless of what direction you're facing. It just needs to be tested to make sure it actually works.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
It is edge canceling, but in Melee, you would always stay on the ledge for the duration of the smash unless the was land was destructable (like Green Greens blocks) or disappearing (Onett platforms, various platforms on Rainbow Cruise).

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Tripping isn't completely random! It's only when you dash or do a smash attack. Walking, running, and other attacks won't cause a trip.

So it seems that there is indeed a method to this tripping madness. Through the tests that I did I was so focused on ruling things out like tripping while turning, recoil from the joystick causing a slight turn around, the angle that I was pressing the joystick. Because of all of this focus I forgot to rule out the posibility of acceleration.

It seems that if you only run (not dash) you cannot trip. When testing the Ice Climbers I discovered that Nana could indeed trip without Popo doing anything. This was useful to me because in future tests this would give me a 2% chance to reproduce a trip. When testing the run I used Ice Climbers and ran back and forth 500 times; his would account for 1000 times on a normal character which is around 3 times the amount of the maximum dashes it took me to trip.

So, what we now know at this time is that running and more importantly pressing the joystick forward does NOT make someone trip (slamming it forward does, aka smash attacks and dashing). We also know that going into a dash from a standing position does at a 1% chance. However, we do not know if Dashing from a run rather then a standing position will cause tripping. Also, people have made claims of tripping from doing smash attacks using the joystick.

I apologize for missing something so obvious and I will go test some of the unknowns I mentioned now.

Edit:

You can drip when starting a dash from the running animation.

You can trip from doing a smash attack with the control stick. I assume this is because to do the smash you first need to slam the joystick forward (similar to dashing). Just in case I also tested the C-Stick to make sure that it wasn't inputting the same command. After 300 (600 due to the fact that i am using Ice Climbers) smashes I did not trip. I can safely assume that this will not cause it.
Earlier Gimpyfish said only some characters can do hugging. Can someone make a list?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Rhyfelwvr...I tested today on FD...Wolf doesn't seem to be able to hug, but if you check my post on this page, he has a viable alternative...no one seems to give it any notice though.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Regarding question #4
(Originally Posted by Witchking_of_Angmar)
"Are reverse neutral b moves still in?"
Yes, you can reverse all projectiles to my knowledge, im not 100% sure about other ones so i wont say yes/no

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> I have some stuff in my Lucario Guide, and I'm **NEARLY** positive that using Lucario's DAir when being sent off grants him what the "AMC" would have, although I called it a "BMC" for Blue Momentum Cancel, as AMC had not yet been Debunked at that time. =P.

-DD

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Rhyfelwvr...I tested today on FD...Wolf doesn't seem to be able to hug, but if you check my post on this page, he has a viable alternative...no one seems to give it any notice though.
If you want it to be noticed, then you should make a thread about it in the Wolf forum. To get the technique on the front page of this thread you'll need video proof first, then PM Adi.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I actually did PM Adi, but I don't have the materials to capture video atm. Later in the week, I'm building a new PC, but someone is more than welcome to try it out and video tape the Wolf-hug in the mean time.

On FD, it's just off center to the side you want to do it to. On Battlefield, it seem to be barely off center to the opposite side you want to go to.

the reQuest

Smash Rookie
I heard in a Falco-specific thread that he has a chaingrab (his D-Throw). Does anyone know if this is true for Brawl, and if so, are there any videos of this being done?

Zek

Smash Ace
The Dojo has got another AT for the list: Eating While Reclining! This one is really going to turn the tier list on its head!

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Advance technique not so advance confirmed for Brawl... Also comes with some better names than those who like naming things off the blue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom