• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm in the "Interesting Threads" list ! I'm doing a high 5 to myself !

Repryx

Smash Champion
To Everyone Scared.....LAAAAAASSSSSEEEERRRRRR LOOOOOOOOCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!

Gimpy good point BTW

*Laser Lock*

Adi

Smash Lord
I still don't really understand what you're saying Short Fuse, but it could be because I'm completely blazed out of my mind right now.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Shortfuse is
Naming stuff already there
and is getting called out on it and he aint liking it......lets watch.

Adi stop smokin!

Niko_K

Smash Master
Shortfuse is
Naming stuff already there
and is getting called out on it and he aint liking it......lets watch.

Adi stop smokin!
QFFT...except the smoking part, I figured out all the stuff I know while Stoned.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Technique quoted from another thread:

Hello. I am a pro Melee player, and I got Brawl a few days ago, I've been looking for tecniques and whatnot, and I found something really interesting and useful. I've called it DLX (DanteLink X) Hit-cancel What is it about? it consists on cancelling certain moves after you land them on your opponent (it can be both, direct hit or shield).

The easiest character to do this is Falco, just do his running kick (press A while running) then the exact same moment it lands on your opponnent, press up+A (can be both, smash or non-smash and it will work, it only does his Upsmash anyways).

It looks really awesome, because its like 2 moves right after the other, if done correctly you will hit your oponent with the running kick then the upsmash in one smooth looking motion. Really useful in combos. (Throw your opponent down, running kick, into DLX-hit-cancel).

Also, a sound will confirm that you did it ok. It takes timing, but after a while you will see its really easy to pull off. Enjoy. I will post video links later.
It's been confirmed by one other person. I'd like to know if anyone else can pull this off and if it's a viable technique. Barring the name, this guy could have something.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I take it no one's got anything to add about the "land cancelling" video from the OP? I'm really curious here!

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of something.
Could be a discovery, and must know the answer to my long search
Upon unlockment, when playing VS Matches, does this include 'WiFi with anyone' Matches.

Thank you
-Mosssk

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
can we get this added for the gw section?

On a platform, if you begin to fall through and then down air, gw will move up slightly before he shoots down, but this brings him back on to the platform. because this happens early in the key animation, it gets l canceled better then normal. Thus you can VERY quickly bring out keys and keep doing them in succession.

i have a guide with gw here i don't know if this link belongs at the end of the first post or not
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3840506#post3840506

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
can we get this added for the gw section?

On a platform, if you begin to fall through and then down air, gw will move up slightly before he shoots down, but this brings him back on to the platform. because this happens early in the key animation, it gets l canceled better then normal. Thus you can VERY quickly bring out keys and keep doing them in succession.

i have a guide with gw here i don't know if this link belongs at the end of the first post or not
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3840506#post3840506
This happens with any dair that sends the character down fast. Zamus, Sheik, Toon Link, etc.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
"Land Cancelling" was in melee and referred to as Auto Platform Cancelling. Also, Yuna posted a thread (possibly locked) about Up-B in the wrong direction will still grab an edge (hugging). Except for kirby and ddd.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
on question nr 2

Originally Posted by Witchking_of_Angmar
Can you still dash attack cancel or "boost grab" (it was called both names) like in melee?

no, jumpcancelling is out, which means you can't jump and then grab or usmash. this is not a big deal however because you can usmash out of a dash at any given time (withóut JCing) and because the dashed grab doesn't have (much) more lag than a standing grab

(someone should measure the frames of standing grab, dashed grab and dashed shieldgrab)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
on question nr 2

Originally Posted by Witchking_of_Angmar
Can you still dash attack cancel or "boost grab" (it was called both names) like in melee?

no, jumpcancelling is out, which means you can't jump and then grab or usmash. this is not a big deal however because you can usmash out of a dash at any given time (withóut JCing) and because the dashed grab doesn't have (much) more lag than a standing grab

(someone should measure the frames of standing grab, dashed grab and dashed shieldgrab)
when you do a Dashing shield grab, the shield cancel's the dash animation, so a dashing shield grab is exactly the same as a standing grab, except the fact the character is sliding while doing it, so the Hitbox(the range of the move) moves along with the character, giving it an even wider grab range than ever before.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I don't mean jump cancel grabs, I mean dash attack cancel grabs. You dash, press a to start your dash attack, but press shield fast enough to cancel the dash attack and turn it into a grab. With fox in melee, it like doubles your grab range because he makes a huge leap forward.
Never heard of that, but wouldn't that be useless now that you can slide while shielding and shield grab out of it?

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
The animation of Wolf jerking out his gun has a hitbox of its own and does damage (there's a bayonet on his gun). On both light and heavy characters it knocks them back and they get hit by the laser while in the air for up to 10% damage altogether. (The laser does 5% damage on its own)

It's rather situational and seems unpractical at first glance. May be useful in the future though.

EDIT: On second thought: the move actually has decent knockback and may not be so situational after all. I've successfully used it today as an attack in itself. It can possibly combo into other moves.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Never heard of that, but wouldn't that be useless now that you can slide while shielding and shield grab out of it?
It was pretty useless in Melee as well, but if dash grabs don't lag as much anymore, it might be more useful, because the distance is HUGE for some characters.

It's most commonly known to shiek players, I think.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
reverse neutral b moves are in yes

and is it just theory that eating makes wario charge his waft faster? I dont think we have any actual proof of that, so lets hold off on making every wario main waste their amazing bike recovery to try and increase their waft

RDK

Smash Hero
The animation of Wolf jerking out his gun has a hitbox of its own and does damage (there's a bayonet on his gun). On both light and heavy characters it knocks them back and they get hit by the laser while in the air for up to 10% damage altogether. (The laser does 5% damage on its own)

It's rather situational and seems unpractical at first glance. May be useful in the future though.

EDIT: On second thought: the move actually has decent knockback and may not be so situational after all. I've successfully used it today as an attack in itself. It can possibly combo into other moves.
It's really not as practical or useful as you might first think. There's a myriad of other moves you can use in its place, so using that particular attack is ludicrous when you could use something less odd and with better put-out.

Even for a situational move, it's not the best for that situation.

Adi

Smash Lord
Hello. I am a pro Melee player, and I got Brawl a few days ago, I've been looking for tecniques and whatnot, and I found something really interesting and useful. I've called it DLX (DanteLink X) Hit-cancel What is it about? it consists on cancelling certain moves after you land them on your opponent (it can be both, direct hit or shield).

The easiest character to do this is Falco, just do his running kick (press A while running) then the exact same moment it lands on your opponnent, press up+A (can be both, smash or non-smash and it will work, it only does his Upsmash anyways).

It looks really awesome, because its like 2 moves right after the other, if done correctly you will hit your oponent with the running kick then the upsmash in one smooth looking motion. Really useful in combos. (Throw your opponent down, running kick, into DLX-hit-cancel).

Also, a sound will confirm that you did it ok. It takes timing, but after a while you will see its really easy to pull off. Enjoy. I will post video links later.
Isn't this just IASA frames, post video links to elaborate.

@ Shortfuse: submit videos displaying what you're talking about and I'll put it up.

@ Witchking_of_Angmar: Hmm, I thought it was more of a fox technique, whatever =p.

I'm not going to be able to update the thread over the weekend don't get too mad at me, Gimpy or any other mod if you want to edit it to add various stuff go ahead, it's fine with me.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i think somebody back there said you cant hug, you certainly can, and there is plenty of video evidence for it. my metaknight does it all the time, its just harder with certain characters.

you can see morb's luigi doing it also

i had troubles wiht bowser, but metaknight just slides right off haha

with ganon you can side b off the stage into auto edgehog too, it's pretty cool

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
reverse neutral b moves are in yes

and is it just theory that eating makes wario charge his waft faster? I dont think we have any actual proof of that, so lets hold off on making every wario main waste their amazing bike recovery to try and increase their waft
I believe it's in this video (Wario eats the bike, and sometime later releases a full waft).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotBPZiimSA

Edit - He dies in between though. Did I miss the charge?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
i've tried it with almost everyone else's fast falling dair, and gw's is the only one i can get it to work with so im pretty sure its gw specific
This is the most untrue thing said today.

It works with everyone who has a Dair that sends them down.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
do you follow what im saying?

im pretty sure only gw's dair brings them up first enough to land on the platform again

edit: ok i checked everyone elses and only sheik, toon link, and gw can do this BUT only gw's is fast enough to even bother, maybe sheik could do it but her foot barely sticks out from below the platform and probably has little priority. reguardless don't call me out saying that i make untrue statements when your clearly wrong as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom