• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Also discovered what I dub the Bomber Cancel....if you space correctly you can peach bomb to the edge of a platform and bounce off cancelling the animation.

Vid soon.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I don't remember you asking to take all my adv techs out of my thread? I'm gonna go ahead and say you didn't ask Noir either. I don't mind, but **** kid. Respect.

Edit: Make sure you credit all of Montage for the three that I'm listed as.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Thank you very much for using my information, and the new format is great. just wanted to point that DDD's chaingrab works on everyone, and not only the "heavier characters", you can even do it to pikachu.
I assume that means the grab physics are the same as Melee's, then. Weight only affected the length of the throwing animation, and falling speed affected the distance (why light, fastfallers like Fox were so easy to u-throw chaingrab). In Brawl all characters fall around the same speed. Hence, grab combos will work on every character (assuming it is still by falling speed and not weight).

Edit - At least vertical height... Wait, nevermind. Is throw knockback set (same for all characters), but fastfallers would quickly act against the upwards knockback? Just as forward throws usually throw the same amount, but fastfallers would fall and tech quicker. Gah, ignore this post, I guess my point was weight doesn't affect distance.

NintendoFan963

Smash Cadet
Just to let everyone know, Wario's Motor Mouth technique has been debunked, so it can be taken off the main page.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember you asking to take all my adv techs out of my thread? I'm gonna go ahead and say you didn't ask Noir either. I don't mind, but **** kid. Respect.

Calm down there buddy, I know you're eager to be famous on the internetz, but no need to psuedo flame him.
The purpose of this is for a reference for any interested person to check up on the development of the Brawl metagame
He's not taking credit for your finds, infact you'll notice he quotes the source and founder, this afterall, is a sticky. It helps for people who don't want to look through pages of "ZOMG WAVEDASHINGZ", "CHARATA ROOSTER SUX!!!" and so on.

K1T3

Smash Lord
I don't know if anyone has addressed this or actually tested it at a slower speed in training mode but from what I can tell in the bit that I played and the vids I've seen Smash DI and Auto Smash DI appear to be out... At least I havn't seen any instances of it working. If I'm wrong please let me know.

So what this would mean if it's true is that you wouldn't be able to get out of the laser lock with DI because there is no S or AS DI. This also corresponds with the fact that you can now trap people by a wall with rapid A attacks. You could not do this in melee because of S and AS DI, but could do it in 64 where there was no DI. Also that I'm pretty sure the Laser is a non techable move like Fox or Peachs dair in melee so you can't get out by teching.

If S and AS DI are out I wouldn't be suprised to find several other ways of trapping people on walls even floating them along the ground like the laser trick with other non techable moves.

I had posted that in another thread but thought I should put it here also.

Also just saw the Bananza thing. If it's inescapable it could be due to a similar reason.

Also as for Dedede's chain throw in instances where you are able to roll out you can also grab Dedede before he can grab you. I believe you can only do either when he doesn't time it just right though. I would think you could probably jab him before he could regrab in such an instance but havn't seen that done yet so I don't know.

Edit: Ignore S/AS DI stuff it's still in. Thanks Magus =)

Magus420

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baox5gZn-eE
2:45 and 3:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDOo7n3vvDI
1:21 and 5:43

Zelda's smashes are very A/SDIable and easy to escape.

With laser lock you're basically trapped forever in the bounce part of the missed tech animation which is before you can roll/stand/attack, and since taking a hit no longer forces you to stand like in Melee (like the Thunders combo) you continue to get hit repeatedly. From the sound of things, I think the DI on this is restricted either completely or just that you can't A/SDI upwards because you are still technically grounded and the attack doesn't have an upward trajectory (forbidden SDI).

Trapping people with rapid A attacks works because it no longer pushes the attacker away from them when doing it. You CAN, however, ASDI into them when pinned in it so that you yourself push them away from the wall, and then ASDI back towards the wall where the attack no longer reaches and you can escape.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
New technique: Shield-Cancel Grab. It's simliar to the Jump-Cancel Grabs in Melee.
There are two ways of doing it:
While running, let go of the analog stick and press and shield for as little as one frame and press A. If you don't let go of the analog stick you'll get the full running grab.
You can actually do it without letting of the analog stick but for that you have to shield for a bit longer. Probably 3-5 frames.

New technique: L-Cancel Grab. It is basically the same running grab animation but sped up, similar to how attacks were sped up by L-Cancel.
THIS IS THE FASTEST GRAB IN THE GAME!!!
Basically use Z or L/R+A in a pivot. Press one side of the analog stick and immediately press the other side with Z or L/R+A. Notice it's a running grab but REALLY fast. . This is basically the Reverse Grab minus all that C-Stick nonsense. You don't have to press the other direction immediately but if you want to be standing still, do it 1 frame. You don't have to push the analog stick all the way to one side either, just make sure you start dashing and not walking.
New tactic: Reverse Short Hop Edge Grab (RSHEG). Basically while running you tab the opposite direction and short hop. You'll be facing away from the edge and easily grab it.

New tactic: Reverse Running UpSmash. Same as above but while running tap the other direction and do an uSmash. (Useful for Ike)

I'm thinking of maining Ike so all these techniques I find benefit Ike since he is so slow.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman

He never asked, but he gave us credit and doing the community a favor(which includes us). I think it's great that he's keeping things like this up to date in one thread. Don't worry.

K1T3

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baox5gZn-eE
2:45 and 3:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDOo7n3vvDI
1:21 and 5:43

Zelda's smashes are very A/SDIable and easy to escape.

With laser lock you're basically trapped forever in the bounce part of the missed tech animation which is before you can roll/stand/attack, and since taking a hit no longer forces you to stand like in Melee (like the Thunders combo) you continue to get hit repeatedly. From the sound of things, I think the DI on this is restricted either completely or just that you can't A/SDI upwards because you are still technically grounded the attack doesn't have an upward trajectory (forbidden SDI).

Trapping people with rapid A attacks works because it no longer pushes the attacker away from them when doing it. You CAN, however, ASDI into them when pinned in it so that you yourself push them away from the wall, and then ASDI back towards the wall where the attack no longer reaches and you can escape.
Thanks Magus. I was wondering if it was still in. Do you know if you can get a Smash DI off of every frame of hitlag still?

AnorieN

Smash Rookie
Hm.... I'm really confused. Is L-cancles in or not? I thought if you FF'd, you'd automatically cancle your lag, thus L-cancle? Or was this an E4A-exclusive or something?

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I assume that means the grab physics are the same as Melee's, then. Weight only affected the length of the throwing animation, and falling speed affected the distance (why light, fastfallers like Fox were so easy to u-throw chaingrab). In Brawl all characters fall around the same speed. Hence, grab combos will work on every character (assuming it is still by falling speed and not weight).

Edit - At least vertical height... Wait, nevermind. Is throw knockback set (same for all characters), but fastfallers would quickly act against the upwards knockback? Just as forward throws usually throw the same amount, but fastfallers would fall and tech quicker. Gah, ignore this post, I guess my point was weight doesn't affect distance.
I understand what you're saying, but all of this is irrelevant because of how DDD's chain grab works, he sits on the opponent and then the opponent gets sent sliding on the ground, and you're chasing that slide with a dashing shield grab, which will work even if your opponent didn't get up, he does have the choice of rolling backwards or forwards, which you can forsee and pursue accordingly, but it takes good prediction to skills to do that, because of the lack of quick dash dancing.

you might be able to use the reverse grab to chase a forward roll, haven't tried it.

basically it's like this

DDD grabs Opponent
=================OD=========

DDD throws opponent, throw advances you by a bit.
============O===D===========

and now, when you start chasing, it's either

opponent rolls towards DDD and gets grabbed.
===============OD===========

opponent stays and gets dashing shield grabbed
============OD==============

opponent rolls backwards and gets dashing shield grabbed from a prolonged dash
========OD==================

In order to do the first and the last, you must it coming in time. the middle is the easiest one,
the problem is the whole thing goes so fast, most opponents wouldn't realize they have the time to do a wakeup roll.

other grab moves work Like Melee as far as I've seen, some have better knockback and some have worse, while others have set knockback. most usefull dashing shield grabs i've seen are DDD's,Zelda's, Squirtle's and basically anyone with a ranged grabbed(Lucas,olimar,Samus,Zamus,Ivysaur etc') has a very good range with dashing shield grabs, cause the hitbox actually moves while the animation is running.

can anyone verify whether yoshi can do a dashing shield or not? his egg shield might not allow it.

Shortfuse, your shield cancel grab is the same as dashing shield grab, but i think dashing shield grab is a better description, cause you are shielding during a dash momentum, and grabbing from it actually has a moving grab hitbox, something never before seen in smash.

I'm not sure I understood your other technique, and calling it L-Canceled will confuse people, isn't it just an instant dash grab from a pivot's direction change?

about reverse short hop, isn't hugging still in? isn't it more usefull?

Adi

Smash Lord
dmbrandon said:

I didn't ask, but unlike you no one else really gives a **** because A) They have the reading comprehension to realize that I clearly quoted them, as well as provided a link to their original thread, indicating I had no part in making the technique and B) They care more about the development of the Brawl metagame more so then their 5 minutes of E-fame. Seriously, get over yourself, you posted information on a public and free network, if you don't want the information to be used I'm not sure what your intent was.

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
Laser locks and bowsercide both look potentially game breaking, and may force a return to Melee if no workaround is found. I wonder if Nintendo would patch games, actually...

Tripping looks absolutely ********, but since you can roll out of it instantly, it isn't a big deal.

Damax

Smash Lord
Did you notice you can't turn around while running and continue to run like in melee? instead it just makes the character stop?

however I found out with Sonic yesterday that you could actually do it. all you have to do is smash the control stick twice, as if you tried to run twice in the same directions. once it is done if you try to turn around it will WORK!

I don't have brawl, I played at a friend and I doubt I'll be playing it again. however it might be a new type of run which could brings in new techniques (Maybe you can ''crouch cancel'' that type of run for exemple.)

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Holy **** the Laser Lock worries me. There's got to be some manner of escape though, DIing out of the trajectory of the Laser before it goes off should work.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
why is everyone so concerned about the laser lock lol

the only way for it to land is you missing a tech and falco predicting you miss a tech, if you tech you get to punish him for mashing b

just tech, it's not like every time you miss a tech falco is in the perfect position to do this, everyone just calm down omg

the way people talk about bans in brawl is ridiculous, if we had this attitude in melee half the cast would be banned lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
why is everyone so concerned about the laser lock lol

the only way for it to land is you missing a tech and falco predicting you miss a tech, if you tech you get to punish him for mashing b

just tech, it's not like every time you miss a tech falco is in the perfect position to do this, everyone just calm down omg

the way people talk about bans in brawl is ridiculous, if we had this attitude in melee half the cast would be banned lol
This is what I was going to say, but Gimpy is a mind-reader, and stole my idea.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Melee had very few infinites and they required skill/rhythym. This one requires a single missed tech, and someone to HOLD the B button. From what I remember you don't need to press the B button for lasers according to the DOJO. Or is that just jabs?

skrach8

Smash Lord
it seems like alot of animation can be canceled simply by hitting shield. whoever has the game should probably try pressing R/L/Z after every animation including arials.

And has that air dodge counter attack been filmed yet?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
saying that an infinite is ok because it requires skill and ONLY because of that is just about the dumbest thing i've ever seen online

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
saying that an infinite is ok because it requires skill and ONLY because of that is just about the dumbest thing i've ever seen online
Seriously. People are going to master infinites no matter how hard they are.

Adi

Smash Lord
Niko said:
Also discovered what I dub the Bomber Cancel....if you space correctly you can peach bomb to the edge of a platform and bounce off cancelling the animation.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9VRiRwV2s
Isn't that just an edge-cancel and the momentum sends you off. I added your edgehog though because it's a nice mindgame.

Shortfuse said:
New technique: Shield-Cancel Grab. It's simliar to the Jump-Cancel Grabs in Melee.
There are two ways of doing it:
While running, let go of the analog stick and press and shield for as little as one frame and press A. If you don't let go of the analog stick you'll get the full running grab.
You can actually do it without letting of the analog stick but for that you have to shield for a bit longer. Probably 3-5 frames.
Already mentioned.

Shortfuse said:
New technique: L-Cancel Grab. It is basically the same running grab animation but sped up, similar to how attacks were sped up by L-Cancel.
THIS IS THE FASTEST GRAB IN THE GAME!!!
Basically use Z or L/R+A in a pivot. Press one side of the analog stick and immediately press the other side with Z or L/R+A. Notice it's a running grab but REALLY fast. . This is basically the Reverse Grab minus all that C-Stick nonsense. You don't have to press the other direction immediately but if you want to be standing still, do it 1 frame. You don't have to push the analog stick all the way to one side either, just make sure you start dashing and not walking.
I really don't understand what you're saying, clarification + video?

ShortFuse said:
New tactic: Reverse Short Hop Edge Grab (RSHEG). Basically while running you tab the opposite direction and short hop. You'll be facing away from the edge and easily grab it.
You can just walk off and hug the edge.

ShortFuse said:
New tactic: Reverse Running UpSmash. Same as above but while running tap the other direction and do an uSmash. (Useful for Ike)
Once again already mentioned, might want to check the thread before making posts lol.

DamaxDid you notice you can't turn around while running and continue to run like in melee? instead it just makes the character stop? however I found out with Sonic yesterday that you could actually do it. all you have to do is smash the control stick twice said:
Already touched upon.

Anything I missed?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
The more important part is that there were fewer infinites. Either way, any infinite is broken. If nothing else it bans walk off edges because falco can laser you off the KO zone. And walls do look broken in this game. Sorry, but it's true.

Niko_K

Smash Master
ShortFuse, discovering techs doesn't make you famous...Why dont you look around the boards before posting these amazingly new techs.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Adi, the shield cancel thing wasn't mentioned. It's not the same thing. What's mentioned on the first post is the 3-5 frame shield cancel while running (pressing the analog stick).
I'm talking 1frame. You just see one frame of the shield, a little white flash and you can grab. You HAVE to let go of the analog stick to do it. This was never mentioned before

You can't "Edge Hug" any more. That was E4All. The retail game doesn't have it (at least for Marth and Ike). You can't if you try. You can't even grab with a bAir off the ledge. You have to backflip or returning Up+B which takes longer.

As for the Reverse upSmash, that's not on the first post.

Besides, those aren't technique and I just was throwing out some tactics I discovered via other techniques.
The reverse upSmash, Reverse Backflip Edge Hog and "Speed Grab" (since ITP said L-Cancel Grab was confusing for some) all built off pivot/turning while running. The Speed Grab is the only one one that different since it's plays the animation faster like L-Cancelling did for attacks in Melee. Maybe it's a glitch though.

Later on tonight, I'll record some videos showing the different with Running Into rhield and grabbing and the 1frame shield grab if you return the analog stick to neutral. I'll also show a video of the speed up "L-Cancel Grab". Works great for Ike.

ShortFuse, discovering techs doesn't make you famous...Why dont you look around the boards before posting these amazingly new techs.
Don't act like an *** just because I found some things that sound similar to other ones (and aren't the same). It's not like I'm calling one of The ShortFuse Grab

Niko_K

Smash Master
Im not, Im just saying before you post saying youve discovered NEW techs...you should check around first to confirm they are infact new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom