• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinx

Smash Journeyman
To the OP (& others I guess):
"DLX hit cancel" or w/e it's being called was first posted here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140343 by Noir a week before DLX's thread was posted. Since it seems like whoever posts **** first on SWF "must have discovered it," thought it was relevant.

you can fastfall aerials w/ cstick.
I noticed this a few days ago & couldn't figure out how to NOT FF aerials with the cstick (on a jump's descent). :confused:

about "hyphen smashing"

it's a really really horrible name

as stated by hugs

"That's not hyphen smashing, thats up smashing"
Yeah, it is. I still call it JC'd up smash & am fine with that.

I posted this before and Adi didn't add it. It's on the big Ike guide. I found a new trick to it as well.

Reverse Jump Cancelled Hyphen Smash

What it does: While running in one direction, you can do your upSmash in the opposite direction. This is useful for characters like Ike who have different range on the back part of their upSmash
How do it: This is a jump-cancel. If you have Up mapped to the analog stick it's easier since the jump is automatic.
Dash Right, Pull Left, Slide from Left to Hold Up (or jam Up) and Press A
With Tap Jump disabled, you have to do it like this:
Dash Right, Pull Left, Slide from Left to Hold Up, X/Y and then IMMEDIATELY press A (or press X/Y + A at the same time)

That's pretty much it. **** useful for Ike and I found out how to do it without having to map Tap Jump, just yesterday.
Pretty sure that almost anyone who learned that you could run & turnaround grab probably tried this "new AT" immediately after (I know my roommate & I did). =P

aho43

Smash Lord
just let it be known that you can cancel dash w/ 5* things besides turn around and stop. usmash, shield, grab, dashattack, edit* and b-moves. if you REALLY must name it, just call it dashcancel usmash, or DC usmash. Cuz thats what it is. The ones you do out of shield are JC usmash, jumpcancelled usmash, if you didn't know :p. NOT EVERYTHING needs a name, its a lot better just to make a list of things that work. hyphen smash makes no sense. Calling a pivot smash the hyphen smash actually does make sense, but why call it hyphen smash when pivot smash makes even more sense.

Also fyi, pivot is when you cancel an initial dash animation into a standing animation, also known as DA dash, named after phillybilly who discovered it. However, initial dashes in brawl are extremely small so this isn't as useful as it was in melee. Seriously, for whatever reason I feel like people are dying to give everything a name when you could explain what it is much better by saying exactly what it is.

Neat thing, you can buffer attacks for IASA frames, if you input close enough to the frames, an IASA window if you will. :p Try it w/ ganon usmash. You can do them sequentially pretty fast. Ganon aerial overB does 3% more damage than the grounded one! Doing it out of shield is really useful. SH-overB, grab face and slam into ground, woot.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
why should it be called Dash canceled when you're maintaining the momentum of your dash? isn't dashing Usmash a better name? that's what I call it anyway, and it was in Melee as well, just it wasn't doable with the stick.

I think that it should only be named Dash canceled if the dash's momentum is completely canceled on the spot, Like in SSBM, which is not the case here.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Like ITP said, you're not canceling anything.

Not to mention, you smash kids are way into canceling everything. cancel cancel, god, mix it up. You're eventually gonna get all tied up.

Hence also: jab FAKING.

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this hyphen smashing stuff is bull. It's just a running up-smash, and it was in Melee. It doesn't even need to be mentioned.

freetyme

Smash Cadet
Absoloutley fantastic! I love the diminshing attacks, it adds a whole other element to the game that reduces the emphasis on spamming and makes some more annoying ways I die (often) impossible. Maybe I'll get spammed to death a little less. This also means I, and everyone, may have to learn to use weaker moves before using a good KO attack.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
you should update the thread title to have the date of the most recent addition.
He's right. It's a good idea. I check this thread all the time, but it's seldom been updated. It's would be way nicer to be able to glance at it to see if there's an update rather than having to open it up.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
does continued grabbing help restore power to spammed moves?

Magus420

Smash Master
Multiple grab hits as well as the the throw afterwards are all counted individually on the stale moves list of the last 9 attacks or so, and chars with fast grab hits can almost fully restore all of their weakened attacks with a single grab if they are at a decent percent.

Doval

Smash Lord
Yeah, this hyphen smashing stuff is bull. It's just a running up-smash, and it was in Melee. It doesn't even need to be mentioned.
For the last time, it's not the same as in Melee because in Melee the only way to Up Smash while running was to Jump out of the dash and cancel the jump into the Up Smash. Hence, jump cancelling. If you try it with the C-Stick it doesn't come out. In Brawl you can Up Smash out of the dash even if you turn off jumping with the Analog Stick, so there's clearly a difference. (For that matter, you technically can't down smash out of a run in Melee either, you cancel the run to a crouch and the crouch to the down smash.)

Now, the name "Hyphen Smashing" is indeed stupid but it's worth pointing out the difference.

onlinenow25

Smash Rookie
Dont know if its already been said but, Air-Momentum Cancel is usable. If you do it right it cancels out the momentum of your flight, ill try and find the match that proves this.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
It may just be me but it seems the SWF members who have signed up since 2005 are really really dumb.

Damax

Smash Lord
Ichor I think it has...but maybe not Ive seen a few vids of that...do you know how 2 do it?

-Ciao
so far you can do it with snake, falco and ??? only

you have to do the dash attack and tap the C stick upwards real fast.

the timing is very early in the dash attack's animation. the timing isn't as you hit the enemy its usualy before that.

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
Thats not what im saying but i do know what you are talking about .... if you take a close look at the spot i tag in the note above you will clearly see that TL catches his bomb while swinging his sword on the run.

aho43

Smash Lord
you catch items w/ dash attack the same way you pick them up. you just dash attack through the item. you can catch items during aerials also.

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
Yea thats exactly what i mean... and aho this time around you might wanna come with Black Rain you see what we did in Melee ? Lolz

aho43

Smash Lord
Come w/ Black Rain? You mean join your crew? I dunno what you guys did in melee :p. i'll stick w/ OMG + TA. Fonz is gonna be best in MD, if I'm not :p.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I've been keeping this to myself for a while, but Brawl uses the Havok physics engine. Look at the credits for it's label. I find that odd since that physics engine is used primarily in FPSes like Halo 2 and Half Life 2. Also, It was used in GHIII for the characters' hair. I guess this explains why the body flipping resembles other games that use the engine(to me). I wasn't sure if this constitutes a new thread, so I put it here.

Aesir

Smash Master
Absoloutley fantastic! I love the diminshing attacks, it adds a whole other element to the game that reduces the emphasis on spamming and makes some more annoying ways I die (often) impossible. Maybe I'll get spammed to death a little less. This also means I, and everyone, may have to learn to use weaker moves before using a good KO attack.
Yeah cause we all wanted to be FORCED to use moves that sucked.

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
Cant be but so bad you figure..... But dont get it twisted im not going to be one of those people to flame people for having an opinion. "Get used to brawl its a new game" "Go back to melee" I could care less if everybody hated the game. Me and my friends will still enjoy what we have been given for our 7 year wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom