• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Back-On Topic: Snake's Bomb Recovery seems a little bit pointless. I mean despite being able to recover with it, he'll end doing massive damage to himself (Not including damage already on him) and once he does get back on the stage he'll be at a pretty big disadvantage. Gatling and Ice Climbers chain grab seem pretty fun though.
In the video that demonstrated it, Snake wasn't DIing at all. Considering that Snake will probably already have damage when he starts bombjumping, he will gain height with each one, and can DI the explosion towards the stage, meaning he will only need to do it a few times. Then, his up+B gives him super-armor, which makes it much harder to knock him back off afterwardsf. I think the technique is pretty useful, and definitely makes his recovery game a bit better.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Ahhh... I thought he was DIing and the grenade was just extremely random.

Well, that just changes my whole opinion.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
every character in this game has a mediocre dash dance through dash sheild dash sheild, its not really anything to exciting but it can be fairly tricky

something i discovered with metaknight like quite a while ago but never posted about (i figured it was pretty minor)

you can dash forward, turn around, then cancel your turn around with a dash in the other direction, so its sorta like a stall when you turn around

you can cancel any slow turn around motion with a dash in the direction opposite of your turn, it can be pretty useful with some characters

it MIGHT be in a couple videos i'm uploading soon, if it is i'll link them here

nothing to exciting *shrug*

its really cool looking with metaknight though haha

Kyuusoku

Smash Cadet
Tourny/competitive players are going to use friend codes to play each other anyway so you wont have to worry about us. Even in vs everyone where a small minority so you wont come across us too often. The majority of us cant be bothered with split second two minute matches with items on(competitively speaking that is).
This is the truth no matter how you look at it, whats the sense of arguing? The majority are gonna play with items, but the tournament seen most likely will not... my point? If you ever want to try and make money off this game, play the way people play in tournaments. If you don't plan on making money play however you want.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
This is the truth no matter how you look at it, whats the sense of arguing? The majority are gonna play with items, but the tournament seen most likely will not... my point? If you ever want to try and make money off this game, play the way people play in tournaments. If you don't plan on making money play however you want.
You are aware that tournament players don't play the game to make money, yes?

pirin

Smash Rookie
Considering this is my first post and I haven't read through this whole topic here are a few discoveries.

1) Sheik's over b (chain) grabs ledges now.
2) During a team battle, King Dedede pulled out a final smash ball, and two capsules, one containing a freezie block and the other a pokeball. We had items off.
3) You can actually recover from that stupid Jungle Japes River, hahahaha.

Probably nothing new but I didn't exactly go through 24 pages >_>

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
When I play these a brawls, i will crush you like i do gypsy and knife. Snake will blow you up with many bomb. These a cannons will crush you gypsys.

lilsquish89

Smash Rookie
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this thread would work because it already had referenced tripping. Basically, Virus66 at IGN did some tests on tripping, and it turns out it's not as random as we all thought:

Tripping in brawl explained.

Many attacks in the game can cause a character to trip, but it just seemed to be happening randomly in videos. Well, a couple people did the research and finally figured it out.

1. Your chance of tripping is extremely low, less than 1%, on a slippery surface like ice it rises to around 1-3%

2. You have a greater chance of tripping the more damaged you are, at extremely high percentages it becomes more likley.

3. Certain moves increase your chance of tripping temporarily, lucas's downtilt, stunning moves (like electricity) and so forth do this. (PS Also elemental damage actually matters in this game, and effects how characters move, how likley they are to be knocked off, and so forth, though not enough to be outwardly noticed)

4. You can only trip if you tap and immediatley release the control stick. So normal moving is fine, but dashdancing, or foxtrotting (repeatedly tapping forward to move instead of dashing) gives you a chance to trip. The trip is triggered upon the release, and it can only happen if you do it more than once in succession. So if you simply reverse direction or dash tap once, you won't trip.

5. When you trip you are invulnerable for the entirety of the trip animation, so tripping cant leave you open to an attack, it just kills your momentum so to speak.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
I think that it's supposed to be pretty hard so we'll have to wait for people to get in some more practice with Samus.

Also, was that comment about not liking ATs directed at me? 'Cuz I don't dislike them, I just think the game occasionally gets too focused on them.

EDIT: ^ You sure about that? Well, that sucks a little bit.
No, my comments were not directed at you. They were directed at the folks that are against the discovery and implementation of new ATs for brawl. (I won't name names, and I shouldn't have really said anything on the matter to begin with because this subject only really leads to pointless flaming and bickering, but whatever). I have nothing against what you said in your posts and respect the points you make.

I hope this thread stays on the subject of making discoveries and sharing them, there's some really good stuff in here already. Especially considering the game hasn't even officially come out over in the U.S.

Also, thanks I.T.P. I'll give that at a try.

S623

Smash Apprentice
It's nice that tripping isn't completely random. But I don't like that it punishes you for getting to higher percentages.

Thats actually a good find. I never thought to try that...
That's probably 'cuz we're all too scared of the Klap-Traps to try.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Yo, since I'm almost positive it'll be pushed back with the rest of the posts can I have a bloody answer to this from a knowledgable (well, as much as there can be from a new game like this) player? My inability to pull it off the traditional way is madly pissing me off.

I have trouble with an AT here and require assistance, albiet its nothing too tricky I would hope.

The Jab Cancel is something I've been consistently unable to do without actually showing the shield no matter what frame by frame timing I put into it and its very frustrating; everyone keeps saying shield is the button to cancel it with but its not really giving me any results.

However, if I crouch - you can even buffer a crouch in after you jab a little bit into it, it'll crouch the second its done - then jab the second I see or 'feel' a duck, the jab comes out very rapidly. I can even cancel this into a shield, d tilt, or even a b move quicker than normal.

Sometimes, the crouch after jab doesn't show, in the same manner of notion I'm told the shield isn't meant to for the 'traditional' - as I'll call it for the sake of discussion o.o - way of jab cancelling. Its obscure, though I find my way of getting what I believe is a jab cancel out also helps Ike and other stated characters in the same way I'm told jab cancel is meant to, ala, mindgaming, quick moveswitch versatility, etc.

Help a guy out here? ^^; Is my copy of brawl just slightly weird or what? I don't know, but I've used this fine online against some here - Hitaku, a few others, etc - and its fine for me. But, I'd like to know how to do it a traditional way, maybe.

Weird post I know, as its both a question and a possible discovery in one, but likely its just the former to you guys and you have an answer for me.

Any help?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Adi, Milos has discovered that you can jump cancel any attack you want out of shield. His thread's title should give it away.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I want to more than anything know why I have trouble doing it with the shield. *points to my question~?* An experienced Smasher lending me their aid here would be infinitely appreciated. x.x

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you dont have to jump cancel attacks out of your sheild it drops much faster so you can just do whatever attack you want out of your sheild as long as its fast enough to punish

i dsmash out of sheild with metaknight its too good

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'd still like to know an answer to my jab cancel problem, its on the previous page. Anyone experienced. Aa~ I don't want to be trapped using crouch to do it all the time x.o~

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
You people are animals don't you understand your ruining another smash bros game wth your advanced crap! You all have no honor your just mindless drones jumping at the next big way to hak a wonderfull game. This is how people get bord of smash. They hak and hak and hack and eventually thers only like 5 charicters who make sense to use and everyones stuck with those 5 unless they want to lose horribly.Am i the only one who has any self respect? JUST play the game and stop picking it a part frame by frame hit by hit. I garantee you'll have more fun. And if u think im wrong then youv forgotten what smash is really about.... wow i feel a bit like criss crocker ranting like this.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
RAAR please go away. We're gonna pay 50 for it and play it the way we want. If sakarai doesnt patch it then its fair game. If you dont like it you can leave SWF. This is a community for the competitive. Im not sure what your doing here but please dont make an @$$ of yourself.

codemonkey85

Smash Rookie
Double Sticking still in?

Hello... for those of you unaware of what "Double Sticking" is:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/ac...how_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-37242284&pid=516492 - "Double stick DI: this is extremely interesting, and it astounded me when I first saw it. You can actually DI with both the control stick and the c stick. You can pull off 2 different DI's at once, allowing you to greatly influence your flight trajectory. We were testing it with peach's F-throw. We were able to survive an f throw right near the right edge of Final Destination to about 196% and still live. One certain pair of directions made this (I think it was n up left, and left). But other ones made some pretty weird flight patterns. An up left on control stick and left down on the c stick caused the fox to actually go straight up from the U-throw. Very... very interesting."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-iOIN32i4 (View all comments for full explanation)

Magus - "Before or as you're getting hit hold perpendicular to the direction you're sent normally towards the ground/wall/etc on the control stick, and hold the c-stick directly towards the ground/wall/etc. Then hit L or R to tech before you're hit (I think it's within 1/3 of a second before you get set flying). So for marth's f-smash on level ground, if you go diag up/left, hold down/left on control, down on c-stick, and then tech."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFxdYCr5yAI&feature=related

Could anyone tell me if "Double Sticking" is still in Brawl?

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
for the dashing shield grab, do you think it's useful for every character? meta knight's dash grab looks faster to me than when he does the dashing shield grab.... not sure though.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
I just think these moves distract from the core game witch can be fun and comppetitive without all this crap. But I suppose people will play how they chose to play. In the end the better fighter always wins so none of this really matters. ill shut up now.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I just think these moves distract from the core game witch can be fun and comppetitive without all this crap. But I suppose people will play how they chose to play. In the end the better fighter always wins so none of this really matters. ill shut up now.
Good. Besides, people can find things that the creators never intended that make the game more interesting to play. It's great for creativity. :)

Doval

Smash Lord
Regarding DLX Hit Cancel:

There's a good chance it's valid. It can't be IASA frames; if it were, you could interrupt the dash attack with walking, dashing, jumping/small jumping, or ANY attack. Moreover, this would be possible regardless of whether or not the dash attack connects.

It's been confirmed that Snake can cancel his Dash Attack to an Up Smash (see this thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142759 ). However, it only seems possible if the Dash Attack connects, and it seems that only the Up Smash can be used. This probably isn't a Jump Cancel either, because then you'd be able to jump out of the Dash Attack.

In that same thread they mention that Wario can perform this trick as well (though I've yet to see it.) It would be worth checking this with other characters, since it's starting to look like anyone is able to do it. Whatever the case, for the love of God don't call this tech a DLX Hit Cancel, it's lame and nondescriptive =P

EDIT: By the way, you couldn't DI with the C-Stick in Melee.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Ive heard somewhere on these boards that the dash attack can also be cancel without hitting anything. The timing is real tight and difficult to do. Ill see if I can find the post and ill link it here.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
New technique: Canceling ledge jumps

Normally if you use the jump button while hanging on the ledge you jump off of it and it seems as if you cannot do anything until a specific amount of time during the jump. But I've found (with Kirby's Stone) that I could cancel the jump right into my Down Special. I tested it out with other characters and yes, you can perform a Special Attack right out of a Ledge Jump.

This might be intentional to make "Ledge Hopped Attacks" more accessible and less technical, but it seems to only work for Special Attacks. For instance, you can Ledge Jump and cancel right into a Counter with Marth/Ike and it looks like it's a Ledge Hop -> Counter from Melee, done perfectly. Obviously this will work much better for some attacks (Ike's Up Special) than others (Kirby's Stone).

The Original Poster needs to update the front page with all these new techniques before they get lost in the rest of the messages. >_>

Kyuusoku

Smash Cadet

Normally if you use the jump button while hanging on the ledge you jump off of it and it seems as if you cannot do anything until a specific amount of time during the jump. But I've found (with Kirby's Stone) that I could cancel the jump right into my Down Special. I tested it out with other characters and yes, you can perform a Special Attack right out of a Ledge Jump.

This might be intentional to make "Ledge Hopped Attacks" more accessible and less technical, but it seems to only work for Special Attacks. For instance, you can Ledge Jump and cancel right into a Counter with Marth/Ike and it looks like it's a Ledge Hop -> Counter from Melee, done perfectly. Obviously this will work much better for some attacks (Ike's Up Special) than others (Kirby's Stone).

The Original Poster needs to update the front page with all these new techniques before they get lost in the rest of the messages. >_>
Nice find! ^_^, is there anyway you could mabey try and put a video up?... or somebody?

shanus

Smash Hero

Very nice find, can you try and see if you can edge stall Ike's over b (quick draw) using that technique?

Snakeee

Smash Master
edit..... this was shadow 111 not snakeee... just putting it because i don't want snake mad at me.. x_X
are you guys only talking about doing the up smash out of the dash attack? because up tilt works out of dash attack too. well i know it works with zss and mk.... if i'm being stupid and that is already known don't make fun of me lol

Doval

Smash Lord
A bit more on the DLX Hit Cancel. I only got to play about 2 minutes today (long story, involving the fire alarm going off at my university >_>) but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't cancel Ike's Dash Attack to his Up Smash (and no, the dash attacks weren't whiffs.) This may just be specific to a couple of characters.

Also, VERY nice find T!mmy. So it works with any B move?

Damax

Smash Lord
EDIT: By the way, you couldn't DI with the C-Stick in Melee.
go back to the kindergarden.

Best exemple: Use link, get 40%, grab a bomb, throw it down on the C stick and hold it down, you will be able to tech immediatly. It can be used to make you roll GREAT distances with link if you hold the control stick left or right.. like a super roll. unless crounch canceling isn't DIing -_-

Doval

Smash Lord
go back to the kindergarden.
Learn to communicate without flaming.

Take a Samus. Take a Fox. Go to FD. Mash AA on Fox 'til he's at 68%. Place Fox in the center of FD. Shoot him with a fully charged Charge Shot. Watch him die.

Kill Samus to reset the damage reduction on her. Repeat the above process, except that this time, hold up on the analog stick before shooting Fox. Watch his trajectory curve significantly higher, and he survives (just barely.)

Kill Samus once more, repeat the process, except this time use C-Stick Up. You'll get the same results as the first time (a straighter path, and a KO.)

Moreover, when you shoot Fox with a Charge Shot, if you rotate the Analog Stick rapidly, you'll notice that Fox jerks around rapidly during the hit lag before he actually gets sent flying (i.e. you Smash DI the attack multiple times.) Try that with the C-Stick, and you get nothing.

Moreover, I highly doubt the C-Stick does anything for your roll distance. Regardless, at the very least it does nothing for DI on its own. Unless it has some magical property where it enhances the Analog Stick's effect on DI, Double-Sticking seems like a hoax.

And by the way, Crouch Cancel is NOT DI. Crouch Cancel is taking a hit while crouched, which makes it have significantly less knockback. If you continue to hold down as you're hit, you'll do an Automatic DI downwards. However, it's possible to take a hit crouched yet DI in another direction, and it's possible to take a hit standing, and DI downwards when you're hit, without having CC'd the hit. Moreover, you MUST be crouching to Crouch Cancel, so you're obviously not CC'ing the bomb, you're just Auto DI'ing it downwards.

Just because you can do both things together doesn't mean they're the same thing. Regardless, this isn't the thread for this discussion. Let's try to keep this on-topic and focus on Brawl.

Damax

Smash Lord
bla bla bla flame.
go back to kinder garden : go back to melee

It was more of a question, I didn't really know if crounch cancel was a DI or not. look at my post and I doubted. I never ever tryed to DI with the C stick. My friends said it was possible but didn't add to the stick DI, others said smash DI works (thus Link's bomb). Either way it was kinda useless.

and yes I do think doing the bomb roll with the c stick is easier and prolly makes super rolls happen more often (I once rolled 3/4 pokemon stadium)

and no I'M not a noob, melee was soo bugged : phantom hits, invisible celling makes you crash down (the inverted V)etc.. I hope brawl doesn't have such suprise for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom