• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealssjlink

Smash Apprentice
I have one that I sorta discovered but perfected thanks to another accidental discovery on youtube.

I am going to make a topic about it later today (with a video compilation).

Damax

Smash Lord
powershielded pits arrows and refected them upwards. This happens at 4:38 in the video. Someone needs to test powershielding out extensively so we know exactly how it works.

Powershielding In?
it only bounced off the shield. Reflecting projectile has been debunked by sakurai himself imo with his advanced techniques update.

anyway it will never bounce back toward the sender and will never be hostile to him. if you remember welll in melee missiles could bounce off shield to hit a flying opponent (like a teamate, an enemy or no one.)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im getting so sick of people finding and naming tons of techniques, its getting, is ridiculous.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
The Craq Walk is actually the Money Slide. I tested it out today: If you b-air right as you land, you get the same effect of sliding with momentum.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
The DLX cancel can't hardly be IASA frames. It's something far different. It's too fluid and quick to be IASA, especially on something like that. Marth's IASA on his down tilt to fsmash isn't anywhere near that quick. Notice that in Marth's animation canceled downtilt, there's enough time for the opponent to get stunned by the hit before getting fsmashed. In the DLX video, the opponent was upsmashed immediately after getting hit by the kick. I'll doubt right now that there's no IASA-allowed attack that can be cancelled that quickly.

Oh, and I'm also not a fan of naming techniques after people, not even the DLX or Craq Walk. It should be a reward to intense skill in that technique, just as Wobble earned his name for IC's infinite in Melee. These amateurs didn't earn anything, and discovering what would soon be discovered anyways by someone else doesn't merit them any decade lasting technique name. Give the general public 2 more weeks and someone else would've discovered DLX cancelling or Craq Walk (in this case, multiple people discovered it, some named it Money Slide). Should you get a record-lasting technique name just for discovering that technique a week before someone else did? Sensibly, a week of Brawl's existence is minor, considering the fact we may have the same game for a decade before SSB4.

In pure honest truth, a week longer of having knowledge of an advanced technique is minor. Wiping the floor abusing it at major tournaments is forever.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^That would be the DLX everyone's been talking about. Well, it doesn't look like IASA frames to me anymore, and apparently you could do it with more than just Falco.

Damax

Smash Lord
^^That would be the DLX everyone's been talking about. Well, it doesn't look like IASA frames to me anymore, and apparently you could do it with more than just Falco.
Yeah maybe anyone can do it... Also I saw in the comments: FishyFist Reply: Don't go naming well established fighting game mechanics after yourself. This is called Gatling. Certain moves Gatling into other moves. Fighting games use this all the time. While it's good to know it's in Brawl, you shouldn't name it after yourself.

Well I'd really like it to be called Gatling, it sounds nice. Gatling someone of moves sounds pimp lol. hmm but seriously gatling gun is fast so is this technique. well I dunno about you but in my melee tournaments year I've met many dudes from other fighting games, it would be cool if they'd understand brawl easier than they could understand melee, it might even attract them. (more player the better)

I don't really play other games but I'm definitly gonna call it gatling haha. No offense there DLX but I think techniques shouldn't be name after someone since it doesn't change a **** if you suck. wouldn't making this thread gives credit to the finder on every technique better? like

Gatling by DanteLinkX

Iasa marth frame by XXX

moonwalking by WXY

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
in street fighter its just called canceling. You cancel normal attacks into super. Ive never heard of gatling.

Kagutsuchi

Smash Cadet
The DLX hit-cancel will probably be called Linking or Gatling (I know GGXX players use this term. <__<). And I always thought it was called buffering in Street Fighter. D=

Like, sweep buffers into a fireball...

... I don't even like Street Figther. =|

Edit: Nevermind, Shoryuken Wiki says canceling, my friend's just crazy...

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
This news really upsets me. I actually thought that only strategy and skill would exist in brawl. Not all this advanced tec crap we got in meele. Isn't it more fun playing the game the way it was meant to be played instead of counting frames and tapping L?

I just hope all this crap gets fixed before we get it in the US.

Damax

Smash Lord
This news really upsets me. I actually thought that only strategy and skill would exist in brawl. Not all this advanced tec crap we got in meele. Isn't it more fun playing the game the way it was meant to be played instead of counting frames and tapping L?

Death to the disbelievers!

Kyuusoku

Smash Cadet
Isn't it more fun playing the game the way it was meant to be played
To me it isn't. I dont like game's that rely on chance. I much prefer brute skill instead. Items aren't skill because there random, and they appear randomly. I don't like the fact I could be owning you the whole game, I'm up 2 stock to your 1. You throw a poke'ball making Ho-Oh appear, then the smash ball appears in his attack breaking it... long story short, thats a free stock from Ho-Oh and a free stock after I reappear and you release the FS that you have been holding this whole time waiting on me. This actually happened to me in a tournament for $300 that if items were off I would have won (not being cocky, but I'm sure). Experiencing something as gay as this, only backs my decision that if you ever want to take this game seriously on a competitive level, there has to be something in it that actually makes it competitive...being random does not fall into this category.

Fastest

Smash Ace
I didn't read the mass of posts, but I'll just throw this out there. The GayLX thingie can only be done by Snake, Wario, and Falco.

"DanteLinkX is a great Devil May Cry 3 player, but a terrible Smash player." - Tapion

With that said, it can also be done on hit or block.
It also can be done within the very first frames of the dash and doesn't require a hit, though this is pretty useless for Falco/Wario as they may as well just do a jumpcancelled upsmash. However, with snake, he'll still get he benefit of scooting his mortar launcher across the level.

So:

1) On hit/block it's useful for Wario/Falco and helps make their dash safe as the usmash pushes blockers away.
2) Snake's is useful anytime. Given how ridiculous his upsmash is, you can block the dash, but get smacked by the mortar launcher.
3) Falco/Wario natural combo to upsmash on hit at low percents (~less than 50%) Snakes will combo (and may K.O. ^^) at high percents.
4) It's VERY hard to do the cancel without a hit. Since it's useless for Falco/Wario, this is left to Snake to worry about.

Fastest

Smash Ace

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You're an idiot if you think that these techniques subjugate skill in any way. You have no business playing a competitive fighting game if you can't press buttons or do advanced techniques without having to think about them. :laugh::laugh:

The more tools at your disposal, the more potential strategy and skill.

It's difficult for people who suck to understand this- as they get stuck on pressing buttons or the speed at which the game moves. You must know though, that pros don't think about techniques or buttons when they play- they just play. It's advanced for a reason.

Stop whining and go into training mode until you can do things in your sleep. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I have trouble with an AT here and require assistance, albiet its nothing too tricky I would hope.

The Jab Cancel is something I've been consistently unable to do without actually showing the shield no matter what frame by frame timing I put into it and its very frustrating; everyone keeps saying shield is the button to cancel it with but its not really giving me any results.

However, if I crouch - you can even buffer a crouch in after you jab a little bit into it, it'll crouch the second its done - then jab the second I see or 'feel' a duck, the jab comes out very rapidly. I can even cancel this into a shield, d tilt, or even a b move quicker than normal.

Sometimes, the crouch after jab doesn't show, in the same manner of notion I'm told the shield isn't meant to for the 'traditional' - as I'll call it for the sake of discussion o.o - way of jab cancelling. Its obscure, though I find my way of getting what I believe is a jab cancel out also helps Ike and other stated characters in the same way I'm told jab cancel is meant to, ala, mindgaming, quick moveswitch versatility, etc.

Help a guy out here? ^^; Is my copy of brawl just slightly weird or what? I don't know, but I've used this fine online against some here - Hitaku, a few others, etc - and its fine for me. But, I'd like to know how to do it a traditional way, maybe.

Weird post I know, as its both a question and a possible discovery in one, but likely its just the former to you guys and you have an answer for me.

Any help?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure that after MetaKnight hits your shield with his forward b, he has frame advantage. I tested it a few times against Magus420's Captain Falcon, and when I used forward b on his shield, I was able to grab him before he could shield grab me.

S623

Smash Apprentice
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You're an idiot if you think that these techniques subjugate skill in any way. You have no business playing a competitive fighting game if you can't press buttons or do advanced techniques without having to think about them. :laugh::laugh:

The more tools at your disposal, the more potential strategy and skill.

It's difficult for people who suck to understand this- as they get stuck on pressing buttons or the speed at which the game moves. You must know though, that pros don't think about techniques or buttons when they play- they just play. It's advanced for a reason.

Stop whining and go into training mode until you can do things in your sleep. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.
You're right. They don't subjugate skill. It's just that a lot of times ATs are the primary focus of players and they end up being the only thing that matters. Also, you sound like a *******.

Back-On Topic: Snake's Bomb Recovery seems a little bit pointless. I mean despite being able to recover with it, he'll end doing massive damage to himself (Not including damage already on him) and once he does get back on the stage he'll be at a pretty big disadvantage. Gatling and Ice Climbers chain grab seem pretty fun though.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Advanced techs will always exist. If you don't like it, I don't know why you are even in the thread. Don't use em and play your game, meantime don't tell us how to play ours. What's so hard to understand about that? Strategy and skill do exist and are part of how you use these advanced techs. There is a certain amount of skill and strategy to pull them off and to know when to use them so... These strategies are not some auto-win button, but some of us are just choosing not to limit ourselves. I don't know what the big deal is.

But seriously good stuff in this thread, bravo, keep it up, etc etc etc. I won a brawl tourney over the weekend. I used some of the advanced techs in this thread so good **** guys keep it up. Running shield grabs I noticed are extremely useful especially with Metaknight, his grab game is sick. Running shield grabs are better than Jump canceled grabs. Turn around grabs are good too. I don't have any new techniques to add really, I just started playing the game. I did try out a lot of the stuff in the first post and it works great so good shiz.

I did notice some weird things with some characters Side Bs, maybe some of you guys have too. What's the deal with some of the characters side Bs? (particularly the ones that turn the character into a missile, so to speak) Like with wolf and Luigi, those two I've noticed this happen frequently. I saw a Luigi side B into the level right near the ledge, and he stalled there for a good couple seconds stuck in the animation before eventually grabbing it. I've also seen wolf side b aimed near the ledge but instead of grabbing it, he just falls, but he does not go into a free fall, as he can up B to the ledge after this. I guess it's counting as him landing on the stage or something. I don't know, seems to happen quite a lot with Wolf's Side B.

Also, has anyone been able to turn from zero suit to samus in the middle of a game, or vice versa? What's the deal with that?

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Advanced techs will always exist. If you don't like it, I don't know why you are even in the thread. Don't use em and play your game, meantime don't tell us how to play ours. What's so hard to understand about that? Strategy and skill do exist and are part of how you use these advanced techs. There is a certain amount of skill and strategy to pull them off and to know when to use them so... These strategies are not some auto-win button, but some of us are just choosing not to limit ourselves. I don't know what the big deal is.

But seriously good stuff in this thread, bravo, keep it up, etc etc etc. I won a brawl tourney over the weekend. I used some of the advanced techs in this thread so good **** guys keep it up. Running shield grabs I noticed are extremely useful especially with Metaknight, his grab game is sick. Running shield grabs are better than Jump canceled grabs. Turn around grabs are good too. I don't have any new techniques to add really, I just started playing the game. I did try out a lot of the stuff in the first post and it works great so good shiz.

I did notice some weird things with some characters Side Bs, maybe some of you guys have too. What's the deal with some of the characters side Bs? (particularly the ones that turn the character into a missile, so to speak) Like with wolf and Luigi, those two I've noticed this happen frequently. I saw a Luigi side B into the level right near the ledge, and he stalled there for a good couple seconds stuck in the animation before eventually grabbing it. I've also seen wolf side b aimed near the ledge but instead of grabbing it, he just falls, but he does not go into a free fall, as he can up B to the ledge after this. I guess it's counting as him landing on the stage or something. I don't know, seems to happen quite a lot with Wolf's Side B.

Also, has anyone been able to turn from zero suit to samus in the middle of a game, or vice versa? What's the deal with that?
you can only turn from samus to ZSS, and you're stuck that way.
it's really hard and annoying to do, but get good enough in it, and you can play a match and switch to ZSS in the middle(preferably after a KO).

S623

Smash Apprentice
I think that it's supposed to be pretty hard so we'll have to wait for people to get in some more practice with Samus.

Also, was that comment about not liking ATs directed at me? 'Cuz I don't dislike them, I just think the game occasionally gets too focused on them.

EDIT: ^ You sure about that? Well, that sucks a little bit.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Tourny/competitive players are going to use friend codes to play each other anyway so you wont have to worry about us. Even in vs everyone where a small minority so you wont come across us too often. The majority of us cant be bothered with split second two minute matches with items on(competitively speaking that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom