• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Usually when I see people list their bad MUs Pikachu is always listed. I think Pika is really good obviously but like I can’t imagine Ness, G&W and Peach (usually the only characters I see people say Pika doesn’t beat) are the only characters in this game that can both make Tjolt not safe/neutralize it with trivial effort and be able to box out Pikachu. Pikachu doesn’t necessarily have much range, and usually has to resort to quick attack to get out of the situation above which loses to just about any body coverage hitbox.

I really think people just aren’t good at fighting Pikachu. Like I said Ness, Peach and G&W cannot be the only characters that can both play around Tjolt without much commitment and simultaneous box out Pikachu’s non-Tjolt neutral. I don’t think the character should be close to the top five.
Oh most definitely, I think Pikachu has been overrated since Smash 4. While Pikachu's ability to kill has increased and Tjolt is better as block pressure the same range issues apply and with the level of disjoints characters have now I believe most can either force Pikachu into a poor jump or hit a Tjolt, extend a hitbox, and hit the character in endlag.

Tjolt in general just gets a lot worse once you stop shielding it

Damned1

Smash Cadet
I should've clarified that the disqualifications were decisions made by the brothers. I imagine they either didn't feel like fighting, or they just wanted to share the victory together. For anyone who cares, Meme :ultyoshi: was on the Winner's Side of GFs, while Joker was on the Loser's Side.

Pfffftttt, that made my day XD

But yeah, here's the archived stream of the tournament for whoever's interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/515293753

These are the timestamps for when Joker used :ultkrool:. On stream, he only switched to :ultsamus: when fighting Ang :ulttoonlink: and :ultridley: only after he lost a game against Meme :ultyoshi:.

1:02:30
10:56:48
12:43:08
One interesting thing i've noticed is that Joker seems way more agressive than many :ultkrool: players. A lot of ppl play him very passively, even if they aren't thoughtlessly spamming projectiles for no reason, sometimes not even trying to edgeguard or get close. Joker constantly tries to mess opponents with his movement and tries to get in the opponnet's face quite often. Hell, he even got shield break in the 1st game on stream, and this is something K. Rool usually has a lot of problem with despite DSmash huge Shield damage. Not to mention all "easy stuff" that a looooot of people seem to forget (Gut Check, Up Air for recovery etc.). It basically looks like he is playing on the fast forward. :D

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
One interesting thing i've noticed is that Joker seems way more agressive than many :ultkrool: players. A lot of ppl play him very passively, even if they aren't thoughtlessly spamming projectiles for no reason, sometimes not even trying to edgeguard or get close. Joker constantly tries to mess opponents with his movement and tries to get in the opponnet's face quite often. Hell, he even got shield break in the 1st game on stream, and this is something K. Rool usually has a lot of problem with despite DSmash huge Shield damage. Not to mention all "easy stuff" that a looooot of people seem to forget (Gut Check, Up Air for recovery etc.). It basically looks like he is playing on the fast forward. :D
Can you even use up air to recover? Is there any net gain with the air he gets vs the end lag?

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Can you even use up air to recover? Is there any net gain with the air he gets vs the end lag?
You can move somewhat horizontally while doing it, and since it a) increases your height for a moment and b) has belly armor, this can let you get closer to the stage so you don't have to use his jump or Up B prematurely (for example) or somewhat stall your fall (you can actually see Joker doing that a lot on this stream). Also, keep in mind they somewhat reduced the end lag on Up Air long ago, not by much, but it's enough to let it be used offstage and not lead to SD.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'm gonna go ahead and use the Pika discussion opportunity to ask something fairly off-topic (sorry Thinkaman Thinkaman ): how many people here would appreciate a video series from me talking about the meta and teaching high-level concepts and matchups? This is the only thread series I've basically ever posted in since I joined smashboards years ago, so I'll do it based on your opinions. Thanks for your time (p.s. if you don't want to clutter the thread with off-topic posts please message me directly or just hit Like).

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I'm gonna go ahead and use the Pika discussion opportunity to ask something fairly off-topic (sorry Thinkaman Thinkaman ): how many people here would appreciate a video series from me talking about the meta and teaching high-level concepts and matchups? This is the only thread series I've basically ever posted in since I joined smashboards years ago, so I'll do it based on your opinions. Thanks for your time (p.s. if you don't want to clutter the thread with off-topic posts please message me directly or just hit Like).
I think you'd be great at it! Go for it!

One thing content-wise that I've always thought would be cool would be a 'threat-zone' screen dedicating where characters seem to be best at. Similar to this:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Yeah it's mostly just to gain some extra horizontal distance and stalling potential, but that's about it.
It's not recommend you do it close the bottom blastzone of Smashvile and Town, or out of hitstun since it won't lunge up.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I guess technically you could chase thunder jolt across the stage but it's a f19 move with 51 total frames and little hitstun. I agree Pika is one of the better zone breakers.
It doesn't need to be across the stage, as long as it's a proper buffered FH jolt and doesn't hit in the air it will confirm.

While the move itself is reactable, it's a superb mid-range+ zoning tool which directly punishes spot dodges/stuffing options/dash aways, and still pressures shield and jump.

Similar to mario's fireball, combos and shield pressure become more real the further away you get. So it's effective both at mid, and long range. But does require more spacial commitment as opposed to traditional zoners who can maintain a position.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be in the same boat with Pikachu :ultpikachu:. People do tend to overrate some character for some time and then switch to another one, but it is still likely in my top 10 (at least for now). But at the same time, I'm glad that's the thing. No one has a definite answer for the meta / tier list. It makes discussions and this whole thread one of more interesting to read.

Daisycakes

Banned via Warnings
Hi, I noticed you had some issues with the OrionStats thing. I think your characterization is a bit hostile and I'm free after some stuff I needed to do with my dad, so I'll respond to this and a few messages you had directed to this a while back (I'm rarely active here, I generally just lurk.)

For one, you can definitely argue otherwise, and people have. My work is inherently amateur and serves to give a "general" idea of who is doing well in the metagame. I do like to represent it like this, but the idea that I'd only represent it like that is wrong. I've drug my feet a bit at a few points in the year, but I've made larger projects known - I intend to do a lot after Kongo Saga to analyze the first year of Ultimate to the best of my ability. This includes looking at character presence in a number of ways, not just the regional+national scores.

For two, the lack of a public results sheet is a matter of time commitment. The google sheet I use links directly to the smash.gg pages. I intend to probably have a text tab for results so they can be publicly looked at since I often do the job of looking through VODs of recent events. This is good in the sense that my database now links to the actual events, but bad in the sense that it removes the characters.

I do have a word file with the characters that I will probably make public once I start releasing year 1 data and for 2020 I'll be more active in relaying results since I think I can manage to copy & paste from my word file week-to-week.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the info given is pretty clear. Point values are determined by placements with a lot of meandering about on details. Co-maining, secondaries, etc. The methodology tab is most incomplete in relation to the TTS itself, as in, player values getting updated when people top 4 majors. This'll be more clearly relayed since part of the reason it isn't clear is player values by power rankings external to the USA change a lot. My fix for this was to have a stable 6 month long PR for many of the 11 "super-regions." Canada has one, Middle East has one, but areas like AUS, MX, AP, EU, etc. don't.

To address earlier messages you posted, you seem to take issues with how echoes are handled. This is a consequence of the "Echo" term being very inconsistent even from the development staff. In this case, I separate based on the metagame rather than what the developers laid out, because Smash history in general rarely adheres to the intentions of aforementioned staff, wherever they exist.

Echoes:

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: > Merged

:ultryu::ultken: > NOT Merged

:ultroy::ultchrom: > NOT Merged

:ultpeach::ultdaisy: > Merged

:ultpit::ultdarkpit: > Merged

:ultmarth::ultlucina: > NOT Merged

:ultrichter::ultsimon: > Merged

For some mergings, the justification is very simple. Simon & Richter are effectively the same character outside of property differences. Daisy & Peach are merged for similar reasons. The Dark counterparts are slightly more sketchy because differences exist. However, in the case of the Samuses, these are very minimal, and both iterations are regularly played by top mains of the character.

The Pits were merged after July because the character's results are near nonexistent and most people who use one use the other. Here, we run into situations where if a player co-mained both, I'd need to count both, but that'd be kind of silly to double the value of a character when that character is so similar to their counterpart that it really only matters for specific matchups (if at all, since Pit's core doesn't revolve around electroshock arm.) Arrows are the most MU dependent aspect of Pit, to my knowledge. I don't see the point in separating what is essentially a different mode-select for same-tiered characters nobody uses, especially when their separation in Smash 4, something I had public documentation over for years, yielded nothing of interest.

Marth and Lucina weren't merged because there is a very public and acknowledged understanding - at this point - that they are very different due to Marth's tipper mechanic. This is more stated than it was in Smash 4, to the extent that Marth is a much worse character and sees very little use. This is attested by MKLeo and seemingly every notable Marth from Smash 4 going into Ultimate, and MKLeo's attempts to make Marth work individually were very mixed at Summit and led him to essentially drop the character.

Lucina is almost objectively more consistent and reliable across the majority of her moveset. This is distinct from individual move differences or small quirks seen in the Pits or Samuses, respectively, and warrants a separation both to see how Marth operates by himself and because he's just noticeably different.

Roy/Chrom aren't merged because there is nowhere near enough playerbase crossover to reasonably justify it. There are a set of Roy mains, and there are a set of Chrom mains, with limited overlap to my knowledge.) I am doing a PR analysis by the start of 2020, and I'll take this back if there's a serious overlap, but among top Roy/Chrom mains the overlap has thus far been limited. Adding this to the similar major differences between the two swordsmen seen with Marth/Lucina (only without a viability gap), it again seems reasonable to keep them separate.

Ken/Ryu are again emblematic of the inconsistencies seen in what even defines an echo, but not to belabor the point, they are often separated by entire tiers. While there is actual overlap between shoto mains, this could reasonably be seen as the result of many former Ryu mains keeping him around while playing Ken, the generally agreed superior pick between the two.

The criteria is context dependent on the metagame and that's probably how it should be (instead of a total adherence to what the staff intended) since it means I'm operating a TTS for the metagame in the boundaries of that metagame. Keeping them separate by principal introduces problems in case of merged instances for reasons I brought up with the Pits - you're risking the inflating of results. Like, if Samsora woke up one day and decided he'd main both Peach and Daisy, and every subsequent result was to count both of them separately, I'd be inflating that individual entity's results based on nothing besides what amounts to an alternate costume slot.

It is far less headache inducing to just go with what people generally determine to be in the case in the context of the meta when it comes to merging echoes in results. Some warrant it, some don't, and it's easier to understand the reasons why than to go in blind on merged echoes when counting results.
I think there is more of a simple solution to it.

For the next season, let us see what splits the echoes and who is more popular ourselves by doing a table where they are split, and another where they are merged. That way people can see how much popularity they have.

For the whole Marth vs Lucina debate, have we actually seen a situation where a player switches to Lucina and does significantly better in the long run? Mr E seems to be stuck at 17th or so with Lucina and frequently runs into “Marthritis” with her.

There aren’t many or any notable Lucina players, MKLeo for example outright doesn’t play Lucina anymore, likely because she’s not strong enough to justify it, and he got much better results with Joker.

For Chrom and Roy I would really want to see how the outcome would be like if their results were merged, because let’s be honest here, they really are identical in every way besides Up B (which is less different that you think) and sword properties which essentially matter just as much as a Custom Balance check. Counting their results together would put them in the upper echelon.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Rage :ultbayonetta: did get 4th at Dreamhack, which is a very good result for a solo :ultbayonetta:.

Although it wasn't exactly a stacked tournament, he had wins on Armada :ultinkling:, VinS :ultlink: and PEW :ultness: off the top of my head.

With that being said, the character's results compared to her playerbase and how skilled / dedicated they are to the character are absolutely awful. If the opponent has good enough adaptation and don't give her the few things she really wants (jump in neutral to get an ABK opening, not shielding her smashes attack, falling for the WTi at the few % ranges where it's worth going for, not hard punishing her endlag, not edgeguarding her which is really free if you have a disjointed smash attack...).

At a high enough level, I have absolutely no doubt that she is Bottom 3-5 in the game. Not even mentioning SDI.

Fun fact : on his stream, Glutonny used her for a few Elite Smash games and got kicked back into regular quickplay due to losing too many times. While obviously not representative of anything, it's still very surprising to see a player of that caliber lose to the lower level players of Elite Smash, especially since he had a decent :4bayonetta2: in Smash4. He also said that she can't do anything if the opponent doesn't jump and has a very bad opinion of her.

______

I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the hardest character, there isn't ANY character who comes even CLOSE to :ulticeclimbers:.

New techs keep being found every week even after a year, there are some techs that no one have implemented to their gameplay (even though they'd be really good), they have loads of tech that require difficult inputs or tight windows : desyncing off of a hard landing lag - which you get after autocancelling an aerial - is a 1 frame window, there are some turnaround desyncs that I can't even do despite having learned almost every advanced technique since Brawl.

And don't even get me started on their conversions, it requires both knowledge (everything is character specific) and execution (there are some unique inputs). The D-Throw (Roll) [N-air] (SideB) [Regrab] + (any follow-up from cheerless D-Throw)* that you all saw on Twitter is very easy in comparison but very inconsistent due to Squall Hammer having an atrociously bad hitbox, so it shouldn't really be done most of the time.

It also doesn't help that :ulticeclimbers: is a really bad character so you're not allowed to make any kind of execution error (even if they were good, it would be very punishing to miss something).

*[ stuff ] means Popo does it, while ( stuff ) means Nana does it.

:ultrosalina:would probably be the second hardest character in my opinion due to having Luma to control and everything it implies (desyncs with attack cancelling, for instance), with :ultshulk::ulthero::ultolimar: being very close (the last 2 not being exactly mechanically demanding, but requiring TONS of knowledge).

Then we start to have pretty technical characters that aren't as demanding as the 5 characters above, such as :ultlink::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultryu::ultken::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsnake:...

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
There aren’t many or any notable Lucina players[...]
ProtoBanham is very good.

Rage :ultbayonetta: did get 4th at Dreamhack, which is a very good result for a solo :ultbayonetta:.

Although it wasn't exactly a stacked tournament, he had wins on Armada :ultinkling:, VinS :ultlink: and PEW :ultness: off the top of my head.
Also Oryon, who was #4 on the last French PR. The tournament was two entrants away from being a C-tier on the PGR, poor Leffen, his one tournament win and it was so close to being PGR but not quite.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I think there is more of a simple solution to it.

For the next season, let us see what splits the echoes and who is more popular ourselves by doing a table where they are split, and another where they are merged. That way people can see how much popularity they have.

For the whole Marth vs Lucina debate, have we actually seen a situation where a player switches to Lucina and does significantly better in the long run? Mr E seems to be stuck at 17th or so with Lucina and frequently runs into “Marthritis” with her.

There aren’t many or any notable Lucina players, MKLeo for example outright doesn’t play Lucina anymore, likely because she’s not strong enough to justify it, and he got much better results with Joker.

For Chrom and Roy I would really want to see how the outcome would be like if their results were merged, because let’s be honest here, they really are identical in every way besides Up B (which is less different that you think) and sword properties which essentially matter just as much as a Custom Balance check. Counting their results together would put them in the upper echelon.
MkLeo has been playing Lucina a fair amount actually, often using her against Joker's worse match ups, and he does think that Lucina is Top 10, which is perfectly reasonable considering the consistency of the character, and we can't forget about ProtoBanHam, he got 5th at EVO and is very very good at the game.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I've seen quite a bit of discussion about the hardest character, there isn't ANY character who comes even CLOSE to :ulticeclimbers:.

New techs keep being found every week even after a year, there are some techs that no one have implemented to their gameplay (even though they'd be really good), they have loads of tech that require difficult inputs or tight windows : desyncing off of a hard landing lag - which you get after autocancelling an aerial - is a 1 frame window, there are some turnaround desyncs that I can't even do despite having learned almost every advanced technique since Brawl.

And don't even get me started on their conversions, it requires both knowledge (everything is character specific) and execution (there are some unique inputs). The D-Throw (Roll) [N-air] (SideB) [Regrab] + (any follow-up from cheerless D-Throw)* that you all saw on Twitter is very easy in comparison but very inconsistent due to Squall Hammer having an atrociously bad hitbox, so it shouldn't really be done most of the time.

It also doesn't help that :ulticeclimbers: is a really bad character so you're not allowed to make any kind of execution error (even if they were good, it would be very punishing to miss something).

*[ stuff ] means Popo does it, while ( stuff ) means Nana does it.

:ultrosalina:would probably be the second hardest character in my opinion due to having Luma to control and everything it implies (desyncs with attack cancelling, for instance), with :ultshulk::ulthero::ultolimar: being very close (the last 2 not being exactly mechanically demanding, but requiring TONS of knowledge).

Then we start to have pretty technical characters that aren't as demanding as the 5 characters above, such as :ultlink::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultryu::ultken::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsnake:...
  • I agree that :ulticeclimbers: are the hardest character to play in this game and I also agree that they aren't very good characters. Most people seem to think that they have hidden top tier potential and while I will say they aren't extremely horrible characters (not :ultlittlemac: or :ultincineroar: levels of bad), I think people aren't considering that Ice Climbers have other weaknessses in this game other than just being difficult to play. Their hitboxes are mediocre, their combos require precise setups that may be character specific, Nana is stupid and unreliable, and they can be extremely easy to combo and separate for a lot of characters. Their matchup spread is also pretty bad with several mid/low/bottom tiers having Ice Climbers as one of their best matchups such as :ultvillager::ultjigglypuff::ultsimon::ultlucas: while a lot of top and high tiers can be nearly unwinnable like :ultlucina::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultpeach: who have the options to run away or outrange the Ice Climbers at almost any time. Maybe in a year or two :ulticeclimbers: will be a high mid tier or a high tier but for right now, my opinion of them isn't very high.
  • I agree with most of the characters you listed as being the hardest/most technical. I'd probably throw :ultbayonetta::ult_terry: on there as well and maybe take :ultsnake: and :ulttoonlink: off but that's just my personal opinion here.
  • Also, on Reddit, there was a list made a few months ago with a lot of people participating where people voted on the hardest character that can be found here. I'm putting the image below as well. I mostly agree with this list but you can tell it's a few months old based on where :ultmarth: and :ultinkling: are though.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Going to go against the grain a bit and say that I don't think Ken, Ryu, or Terry are that much harder than any of the other technically demanding characters, at least in terms of execution. People often cite the input commands as this massive wall to overcome, but is it really any different from getting the muscle-memory of other technical combos? I don't think it is, frankly, at least if we're assuming some actual competitive effort from the player.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd definitely still have them near the upper echelons of difficulty, but mainly because their neutral demands much more nuance than most other characters. There's an argument to be made that understanding that kind of neutral is just as valid a claim for "difficulty" as technical execution (perhaps even moreso), but it's definitely a different sort of thing than what most people gravitate towards in this community...

[By the by, I do support the notion of including "neutral difficulty" into the discussion, but that gets muddy really quick...Pop Quiz! Which is more "difficult," a neutral with a plethora of specific options (Terry/The Shotos), one which demands multitasking (Duck Hunt/Rosalina), or someone who's simply really bad at neutral (D3)?]

I'm also going to take some hard exception to the Belmonts being easy, or at least if we're assuming optimal play. If you want to give those two the best chance at success, you need to be able to consistently space angled fair/bair, of which fair is active for one single frame and bair is active for just two. These two moves are non-trivial for optimal play either, as the Belmonts rely quite heavily on these as a core piece of their kit...and it gets even worse if you try and expect them to get tippers consistently at that! Couple that with a recovery featuring very finnicky tether angles, and I really fail to see how these guys could be considered anything easier than average at best.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Samus and Zelda are average to play?

Talking about character unfamiliarity.
Yeah, the lower you go down the list, the worse it gets. Again, it's outdated by a few months, a lot of people voting probably aren't very into competitive play some characters have new tech associated with them, and some matchups are considered worse or better than before, but it's interesting to see how hard a lot of people think characters are to play.

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Question: was that list made for the hardest character to play (as in pick up and learn the very basis), or the hardest to master (aka knowing and being able to perform advanced techs and setups)? Seems weird either way, but especially if it's the latter.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Question: was that list made for the hardest character to play (as in pick up and learn the very basis), or the hardest to master (aka knowing and being able to perform advanced techs and setups)? Seems weird either way, but especially if it's the latter.
Pretty sure it's the former based on what I'm seeing here. If it's hardest to master then it definitely seems less fitting.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
From reading the description from the author, that survey doesn’t take into account responder competency. “Difficulty” was intended to reflect “ease of use” rather than “effective difficulty,” and was aimed at a general audience, rather than competitive audience.

Basically, that survey probably skews more casual and/or quick play dabbler than tournament goers.

It at least explains why say, the Belmonts (big projectiles, a dash attack and dtilt that cross up) are ranked easier to play than Palutena (teleporting recovery failure, committal ground options). It also more likely incorporates perceived ease of use rather than actual ease of use.

Pokemon Trainer is overwhelmingly popular, but is one of the most difficult characters to use. Probably not a surprise, if a good portion of responders are also PT mains.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that using Mac well is probably actually very hard. Might be a poor example, but, yeah, spamming smash attacks might be easy and even effective at some levels, it's not going to go very far against better opponents..

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
LOL Sheik is definitely harder to play than everyone in that tier tbh. Easily the hardest character in the game imo.

:150:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah, Pokemon Trainer best showcases the folly of trying to map "difficulty" to a single, linear measure. All 3 Pokemon are relatively straightforward and require (compared to most characters in the roster) relatively little precision, technical expertise, or esoteric memorization. It's really just the basics, except you have to learn 3x as much basics + the meta question of when to change.

Ryu is sort of the opposite. He's very clear-cut in his objectives, but has oddles of inputs that are not just esoteric, but require precision. More importantly, Ryu is unforgiving of inadequecy.

Rosa, ICs, Shulk, Link, DH, Hero, all have very large barriers to both adoption and mastery. These barriers are so diverse that comparing them seems aimless.

And then you've got someone like Banjo, who has basically zero barriers but in practice suffers the cognative load of having a dozen good options and no great ones. How does that fit into any characterization of difficulty?

Little Mac and Lucario require unusually high capacity to thrive under pressure; that's a rare and stressful skill, many people would call that "hard to play."

Many of the factors that make Kirby super-forgiving for new players make Kirby tricky and nuanced at 99th-%.

tl;dr, the conversation on character difficulty is dumb.

----------

Speaking of dumb conversations, K. Rool's belly armor has de facto 28.02% HP. (Breaking in one hit if it takes more than that.)

So, sure, I guess in the exact scenario that K. Rool accidentally bellies a 29%+ attack that wouldn't already kill him or a character of ordinary weight then he suffers even more. Given that K. Rool has no excuse to be nairing into a Falcon Punch, this seems like a trivial price to pay for K. Rool's single most redeeming quality.

I think K. Rool is probably still one of the worst characters in the game (insofar as someone has to be) and is probably one of the hardest to properly address. But belly armor edge cases don't register in my top 10 list.

----------

Still speaking of dumb conversations, it's entirely possible for OrionStats to both be the best existing data project anyone is maintaining, and also not the be-all-end-all of every perspective and data point of the game. We can argue if people in this thread are starting to emphasize it too much, but I have trouble finding the motivation to care since any alternative is worse.

BTW, Wolf, just passed Joker again. Let's riot.

----------

Can we all agree to stop talking about Corrin until someone actually plays 'em? It's becoming a dead horse, we all know the score.

----------

Very glad to see more WFT success. Long been my vote for most underplayed secretly-top-half character. With this pace of results, WFT could actually reach top half in results plausibly soon.

It was also nice to see Nicko win the thing, just because he's always fun to watch.

Surprised to see negative vibes on Incineroar. I might not go so far as to say big kitty is being slept on, but, well, the tools all seem to be there. There are few characters I'd be particularly upset to fight as Incineroar.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Seeing as Ryu is being mentioned multiple times, I continue to have an interest in the character's meta even as Momochi (multi-time Street Fighter champion currently dabbling in Ultimate) expresses the sentiment that Ken is clearly leagues above Ryu.

For me, what's fascinating and difficult about Ryu is that he's a character who can fight well at multiple ranges but he can't necessarily force the fight to be right where he wants. Against rushdown, he has a strong and versatile projectile, but it's not like Mega Man or the Links. Against projectile characters, he has terrifying up-close frame data and power, but not the speed to get in easily. Contrast with Ken, who just uses Hadoken to harass and then get right in the opponent's face.

But this is probably why Ryu does well in certain matchups like vs. Snake. It's not just that Shakunetsu explodes bombs but that his ability to vary the speed while having attacks that can contend with Snake's CQC means he can answer Snake no matter what distance the fight is taking place. And Ryu isn't designed to force the issue either, so a good one won't charge in frivolously and get blown up.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Samus and Zelda are average to play?
Talking about character unfamiliarity.
I get the impression it's from a relatively low level player perspective. There's a big difference between entry level elite and playing at a tournament level or the higher end of the GSP spectrum where the tournament players and dedicated mains reside.

As for Ken this character is way, way, more complex and interesting then a grab bag of bread and butter combos. Ken is Sakurai's attempt to bring the larger FGC game play into smash. I will have a detailed video on the subject at some point over the holidays.

In essence to master Ken you need to master the "close fight". And that's really not trivial let me sketch it here:

Fox: unsafe jump in on shield - likely punished by OOS option then eventual neutral reset.

Ken: unsafe jump in on shield - Decision tree: cancel to DP? What height is closest platform to make the DP lesss punisheable (light med or strong DP)? How healthy is their shield? Can DP break it? Cancel to Tatsu? What is their fastest OOS frame 6 or more? Cross up or escape to neutral reset? Cancel to Focus? B-reverse for footsie spacing attempt? Do they have a multi-hit? What is their grab range?

Fox: Safe hit on shield. Jab, uptilt, shield, jump again, maybe a grab mixup or yolo option like fast up-smash. Major concern of their OOS options has passed. You get your one option and then the game continues from there. Pass or fail, you work with and try to get more pass then fail on the opponent.

Ken: Safe hit on shield. Say you start with light d-tilt true blockstring. Now after your first light d-tilt, now you have your mega important decisions tree.
You can either d-tilt again and beat every OOS option except for a tiny handful of the cast or go into a special cancel crescent kick. You are pressuring the opponent to then go into crescent kick. The crescent kick, Nata Otoshi Geri, is your life, it's the only real reason to play Ken. The crescent kick is -7 on shield. If you were to simply stop light d-tilt on shield and transition to a jab you would be at -9 and then add -2 = -11 before the jab lands. Every character has an OOS option that is -11 or lower including more then half the grabs OOS. Awful. But with crescent kick, you can literally crescent kick -7 then jab 1, -9 hitbox out, and beat every single grab in the game. In some matchups Ken can literally just lock the opponent into shield, they are stuck. They have jump OOS and roll as options (and only when fresh!) and the likelihood of getting tagged into full combo is very high as the jab can clip the rising hurtbox of a jump or stale roll easy. No other character in the game can do this, it's why you play Ken.
But let's say instead that they have an option that's frame 7 or 8 OOS. So now your decision tree is to bait that option. Classic would be Ness Nair. You *want* that option to come out. What you do is crescent kick and then tap the shield button. It will be a parry. From that parry jab-jab, crescent, full combo..
So now let's say they have a frame 6 or faster option OOS. Decently fast and there are a lot of these, it will in principle beat out your jab and your parry shield (not always in practice). Let's say the opponent is very good, knows the matchup, and knows all the timings intuitively and reactively. So now you Inazuma, or hold down the button in your crescent kick and you push him back. But you want to use your initial d-tilts to have the push back be just enough, barely enough, to have their option whiff or be sufficiently delayed so that you can get the shield up and/or parry, ideally, parry.

So that in a nutshell is the "close fight", to play Ken well you need to know every cancel layer, every character's OOS options, all the frame data, understand the spacing of everyone else's options not just your own, the shield pushback, the whole deal. Essentially you need to know the entire cast well. It's really not trivial but it's damn fun.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Pokemon trainer is ridiculously difficult to use not just because you're juggling three characters who have different attacks, ranges etc. They also have different battling styles!
Squirtle is a lightweight, comboer who can do aerial rushdowns, ivysaur is a middleweight semi-zoner with excellent kill power but who has to put their opponent in a position to even use that and charizard is a super heavyweight tank with an excellent dash speed and OOS options but has to hard read to get kills and is easily comboed not to mention can easily be read due to it's horrific aerial speed and attacks making it easy to juggle.

What does all this mean? Well if you're a player who prefers a specific playstyle only one pokemon is going to fit that playstyle and you have to readjust every single time you switch up. This might not be as complicated as frame perfect setups but it is more difficult on the fundamental level.

Nearly every player has a playstyle they prefer, and not being able to use that style or the fact that the style simply doesn't work from one pokemon to the next is headache inducing.

Last edited:

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Speaking of dumb conversations, K. Rool's belly armor has de facto 28.02% HP. (Breaking in one hit if it takes more than that.)

So, sure, I guess in the exact scenario that K. Rool accidentally bellies a 29%+ attack that wouldn't already kill him or a character of ordinary weight then he suffers even more. Given that K. Rool has no excuse to be nairing into a Falcon Punch, this seems like a trivial price to pay for K. Rool's single most redeeming quality.

I think K. Rool is probably still one of the worst characters in the game (insofar as someone has to be) and is probably one of the hardest to properly address. But belly armor edge cases don't register in my top 10 list.
I think you've focused too much on the "one hit break" aspect and ignored what it actually implies.

First of all, you talk about something like Falcon Punch, a move that is obviously slow, so you most likely won't throw your belly at it. However, that isn't the only case. There are moves that can break armor very easily - the last clip form BeefySmashDoods shows :ultbowser: breaking through dash attack with flames. Situational? Maybe, but i don't think it would be that unlikely if people knew about that and K. Rool would be more common. Not to mention many attacks of other heavies or heavy hitters, like :ultganondorf:, which you could see in the Twitter post the at the previous page of this thread. Also, right after release of Ultimate, there was a clip showing :ultfalcon: breaking :ultkrool:'s belly at the very start of the match. I can't find it at the moment, but i believe that was Up Smash (or maybe Neutral Air after some hits? Although im pretty it was the first hit on belly armor, i might remember it wrong after a year or so). Needles to say, Falcon got a free stock very early. Just because you tried to land with a move that was designed for it (not counting its landing lag, but that's a completely different topic).

Secondly, you say like belly armor break is only a problem versus single attacks (which actually is in certain MU's). But what if you, say, try to land with your nair and eat something like :ultfalcon:'s Knee or :ultbowser:'s UpSmash? Now you can only take like what, 4% dmg not counting regeneration? This means almost every attack those two have will break it now. And this is disregarding all the other damage you might take in previous trades. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if that just meant you got hit and lost that interaction. But no, you get basically a shield break that gives your opponent all the time in the world to hit you with whatever they want. So if your opponent feels like landing a fully powered FSmash near the ledge to kill you at 70% or so, you can't do much about it.

So when you face those characters that can break your belly armor easily, what do you do? You try to not throw your moves that have belly armor, even in situations when every other character without any super armor would try to at least trade if not win that interaction. Do i even need to explain how much that limits :ultkrool: options, in addition to risking instant stock loss if you ignore it? Nair, FTilt, Up Smash, Upair, Down Smash, Dash attack, even Dair - all those moves use Belly Armor. Which means if you tank any huge dmg with it, you might hestitate to use them, playing far more passively than it is optimal.

What these means is that even though Belly Armor should be your main advantage, it actually hinders you in some MUs simply because there is too much risk involved. And the only thing you can do to get it back is to wait for quite some time. Imagine if the same applied to gimmicks of other characters: you play as :ultolimar: and have to wait for Pikimins to come back without performing attacks that use them, go with :ultinkling: and you can't get all your ink by charging, but you must wait for it to slowly get to acceptable levels etc. And none of these would be as severe as "you get shield break because you tried to use your moves".

With that being said, im not against the whole shield break mechanic. Belly Armor is still an amazing tool and :ultkrool: should definetely be punished for overrelying on it. But in it's current state, you can get punished by many characters not for abusing it, but just for using it. Not gonna go with numbers, but the easiest solution would be to simply make it scale with 1v1 like moves. I believe someone said that the whole idea behind 28% + 0,2% is actually to let :ultkrool: survive the Falcon Punch, which makes a lot of sense. That would also mean that you can basically tank every regular attack once and still have some HP to take weaker moves. With that, :ultkrool: could actually throw his moves in every matchup without the risk of instant death for just using them. You know, like basically every other character in the game?

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I get the impression it's from a relatively low level player perspective. There's a big difference between entry level elite and playing at a tournament level or the higher end of the GSP spectrum where the tournament players and dedicated mains reside.

As for Ken this character is way, way, more complex and interesting then a grab bag of bread and butter combos. Ken is Sakurai's attempt to bring the larger FGC game play into smash. I will have a detailed video on the subject at some point over the holidays.

In essence to master Ken you need to master the "close fight". And that's really not trivial let me sketch it here:

Fox: unsafe jump in on shield - likely punished by OOS option then eventual neutral reset.

Ken: unsafe jump in on shield - Decision tree: cancel to DP? What height is closest platform to make the DP lesss punisheable (light med or strong DP)? How healthy is their shield? Can DP break it? Cancel to Tatsu? What is their fastest OOS frame 6 or more? Cross up or escape to neutral reset? Cancel to Focus? B-reverse for footsie spacing attempt? Do they have a multi-hit? What is their grab range?

Fox: Safe hit on shield. Jab, uptilt, shield, jump again, maybe a grab mixup or yolo option like fast up-smash. Major concern of their OOS options has passed. You get your one option and then the game continues from there. Pass or fail, you work with and try to get more pass then fail on the opponent.

Ken: Safe hit on shield. Say you start with light d-tilt true blockstring. Now after your first light d-tilt, now you have your mega important decisions tree.
You can either d-tilt again and beat every OOS option except for a tiny handful of the cast or go into a special cancel crescent kick. You are pressuring the opponent to then go into crescent kick. The crescent kick, Nata Otoshi Geri, is your life, it's the only real reason to play Ken. The crescent kick is -7 on shield. If you were to simply stop light d-tilt on shield and transition to a jab you would be at -9 and then add -2 = -11 before the jab lands. Every character has an OOS option that is -11 or lower including more then half the grabs OOS. Awful. But with crescent kick, you can literally crescent kick -7 then jab 1, -9 hitbox out, and beat every single grab in the game. In some matchups Ken can literally just lock the opponent into shield, they are stuck. They have jump OOS and roll as options (and only when fresh!) and the likelihood of getting tagged into full combo is very high as the jab can clip the rising hurtbox of a jump or stale roll easy. No other character in the game can do this, it's why you play Ken.
But let's say instead that they have an option that's frame 7 or 8 OOS. So now your decision tree is to bait that option. Classic would be Ness Nair. You *want* that option to come out. What you do is crescent kick and then tap the shield button. It will be a parry. From that parry jab-jab, crescent, full combo..
So now let's say they have a frame 6 or faster option OOS. Decently fast and there are a lot of these, it will in principle beat out your jab and your parry shield (not always in practice). Let's say the opponent is very good, knows the matchup, and knows all the timings intuitively and reactively. So now you Inazuma, or hold down the button in your crescent kick and you push him back. But you want to use your initial d-tilts to have the push back be just enough, barely enough, to have their option whiff or be sufficiently delayed so that you can get the shield up and/or parry, ideally, parry.

So that in a nutshell is the "close fight", to play Ken well you need to know every cancel layer, every character's OOS options, all the frame data, understand the spacing of everyone else's options not just your own, the shield pushback, the whole deal. Essentially you need to know the entire cast well. It's really not trivial but it's damn fun.
But this is also why Ken's existence is puzzling to me.

His skill floor is so high. Just to hit the ground running can take a month.

Does his damage output or ability to seal stocks outdo other characters that are easier or have easier neutral?

Pikachu is the perfect example. Comparable damage output, but pika out does him virtually everywhere else.

Nonsense imo.

A character that takes that much investment but with a limited neutral should do 45% minimum every time. Not 45% IF they get a jump in and IF there combo linkers don't drop.

We won't get into Ken's SRK still dropping.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
But this is also why Ken's existence is puzzling to me.

His skill floor is so high. Just to hit the ground running can take a month.

Does his damage output or ability to seal stocks outdo other characters that are easier or have easier neutral?

Pikachu is the perfect example. Comparable damage output, but pika out does him virtually everywhere else.

Nonsense imo.

A character that takes that much investment but with a limited neutral should do 45% minimum every time. Not 45% IF they get a jump in and IF there combo linkers don't drop.

We won't get into Ken's SRK still dropping.
This goes into the issue with Smash as a whole - going for characters that require mastery/focusing on a wide option tree is really only for esoteric means.

Most top tiers can just use a few options as a swiss army knife that catches a bunch of options at once.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

In a nutshell, it's a much bigger risk then it needs to be on a (bottom 10 at best) character who already has very limited options due to his frame data and other unnecessary gimmicks like Krown and Gut Check...

The cons just outweigh the pros to not giving Belly Armor more health...
Like would 40 HP really hurt the game's balance and/or fun factor.

Last edited:

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman

In a nutshell, it's a much bigger risk then it needs to be on a (bottom 10 at best) character who already has very limited options due to his frame data and other unnecessary gimmicks like Krown and Gut Check...

K Rool never needed to be nerfed to begin with. I would be completely fine with this buff.

Sorry for the accidental strep.
Edit:In fact, I feel like K Rool wasn't buffed enough to start with, and is still debatebly low tier, I feel as if every character that wasn't Jigglypuff and maybe DK could really need some more touches.
That being said the buffs are still nice.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Am curious about something: by the time patch 6.1.0 rolled out, :ultjigglypuff: was very hyped up to be a character that break out of the bars of bottom five, and many of us saw that Puff may potentially break out of low tier.
However, ever since the patch came out, Puff hasn't really done anything notable in tournaments at all. :ultkirby:, in the other hand, is reaping up the benefits of the 6.1.0 buffs much more effectively, with improved results across the board and even a few very impressive showings at bigger events for a character previously perceived as bottom 5, maybe even the worst character, prior to 6.1.0.
Even :ultkrool: is getting more instances (albeit still very limited, especially in comparison to Kirby) of success after the update, with Tweek fooling around with him and Joker using mostly K. Rool to semi-win a Mexican regional.

So here is the question, is Puff's buffs from 6.1.0 overhyped? Because right now, it sort of seems that way in my eyes.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
But this is also why Ken's existence is puzzling to me. (,..)
Pikachu is the perfect example. Comparable damage output, but pika out does him virtually everywhere else. (,,,)
Don't get me wrong, I don't always agree with Sakurai, far from it. His design decisions are not always my favorite, as many well know I authored the "Buff Samus in smash4 video" with the members of this forum when she was literally bottom tier in 4.

But to answer your question directly: I don't think Ken's damage output is the reason to play Ken. Pika is a good example, but many characters can get 40% or more with combos and my main girl in power armor can pick up 35% and/or a kill with single read.
You're playing this character for the close fight, specifically the ability to pressure shield continuously into full combo, shield breaks and parry situations (which lead into full combo) as I described. He's specifically tailored to do that and only that, singularly focused.
You're not going to get the trivial zone breaking neutral of the electric rats, because the rats don't have the close fight. All that trivial zone breaking doesn't give you guaranteed shield pressure, breaks and parries.
Is the underlying engine in *favor* of the close fighter vs the zone breakers or zoners themselves?
I don't have an answer for that yet, it's not obvious yet.
I *think*, theory craft, that yes. With enough skill and knowledge the close fighter is superior. I want to push the meta of the character and we'll see. My theory is given the present tools, Ken will be top tier. There's no guarantee, but with my knowledge of the engine as it stands, I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Welp, to be fair: that much HP would make breaking Belly Armor basically impossible for lighter characters like :ultmetaknight: or :ultpikachu: (can they even inflict 30 damage on it, leave alone 40 with regeneration?). Not that they have much trouble with the current :ultkrool:... but if he gets other buffs (like we hope so), this might be a completely different matter. Although i admit part of me just wants to slam "50 HP on Belly Armor!" and care not for anything or anyone.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
A Orion-Chart like chart that focusses on the European tournaments (held in November)

And over the time span from August to November:

Last edited:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Its interesting seeing the differences in the meta.

Inkling, pichu, ike, WFT are all significantly more relevant.

Whereas olimar, sonic, zero suit samus and peach/daisy seems far less relevant.

I suppose that's fitting though. I dont know any Sonics or olimar and the only ZSS I know is sir jon , and only peach is meru.

Edit: added a few more that stuck out

Last edited:

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting seeing the differences in the meta.

Inkling, Pichu, Ike, WFT are all significantly more relevant.

Whereas Olimar, zero suit Samus and Peach/daisy seems far less relevant. (Fitting as the only European peach main I'm familiar with is meru)

Edit: added a few more that stuck out
I agree with what you're saying, except for WFT, I see them more as a niche counterpick that is also played normally if you catch my drift. In a tourney setting I'd expect to see Inkling, Pichu, Ike, etc, I never really expect to see a WFT in my bracket. Though that could just be my experience.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what you're saying, except for WFT, I see them more as a niche counterpick that is also played normally if you catch my drift. In a tourney setting I'd expect to see Inkling, Pichu, Ike, etc, I never really expect to see a WFT in my bracket. Though that could just be my experience.
Ah that would make sense. I was wondering because outside switzerland (whom has two) I dont know of any PR wii fits. And I dont think Sinogara is PR in France and hes probably the most notable one in europe. So I was wondering where the gap came from.

There are a few other players out there...
France has Zenryukhan (sp?)0
Germany has Hirschulat and Uninsolos.
Sweden has Bambi and Mint
And I think both Poland and spain have 1 but that's all I know of.

Edit: King DDD is another one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom