• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: maybe something with a special form of shielding where you can take the damage but not knockback, and then allowing you to respond intantly
Wouldn't that be anything but crouch cancel on steroids though ?

But yeah, I kinda understand the concern. That's why I suggested reversals on the other forum, though I haven't put much thought into that and just threw the idea out the way you do in brainstormings.

D

Deleted member

sort of, that's why the damage penalty, and using the "other" shield button (since most only use L, we could use R for this)

Finns7

Smash Ace
We should make tether grabs be able to grab people in the tumble animation..........

Well personally I just think we should just try and make brawl an enjoyable playable competetive game first, brawl+ isnt done yet.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I can not wait until all the jumping and gravity codes. High speed, not floaty action without gimping recoveries? Sounds too good to be true. Question though, will people be able to make their own settings or will we be confined to the preset ones by the people in the back room?

Just thought of something I need to ask. How stable are the alloys? I know that it is possible to use them w/o messing up your save, but do they freeze the game? I kind of want to put them in my own personal code set.

Edit: I figured out my question regarding the Alloys

shanus

Smash Hero
I can not wait until all the jumping and gravity codes. High speed, not floaty action without gimping recoveries? Sounds too good to be true. Question though, will people be able to make their own settings or will we be confined to the preset ones by the people in the back room?
Of course you can make your own. The goal though, is to make our codeset the most desired set as possible which is competitive, fast, and balanced and unifies the community to using 1 codeset for tournaments, etc. So using our codeset is highly encouraged, and remember, the current set is a BETA.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Of course you can make your own. The goal though, is to make our codeset the most desired set as possible which is competitive, fast, and balanced and unifies the community to using 1 codeset for tournaments, etc. So using our codeset is highly encouraged, and remember, the current set is a BETA.
Yeah I was just concerned because when someone asked if they HAD to make their own values, they were told that the Back room would make one and have testing done. Default settings are good, I was just afraid they would be the only settings.

D

Deleted member

yay for the useless posts.
anyway, what do other fighting games have that brawl(+) doesn't? of the top of my head:
blocks, mid/high/low system, reversals and guilty gear has like 3 bars which I can't remember what they all did
well, those are the ones I can think of now and the first 2 are obviously not going to be in brawl+, the second would be very hard to code, but the third might be possible like the stale moves but then a bit different

peachfvl

Smash Apprentice
we need to find some sort of footstool jump thingy then to put in the game.

EDIT: maybe something with a special form of shielding where you can take the damage but not knockback, and then allowing you to respond intantly
like having a super armor power shield?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
hi guys! what can i do to help out?

what are asm codes?
Are you a hacker? I think that a code to turn off ladders would be a great code, but I doubt anyone else agrees (I've requested this many times with no response bar one exception which I think may have fell through). It would think it will be easy and no one else will finish it and steal your thunder, but it won't help the tourney scene.

zxeon

Smash Lord
How about this?

Focus Charge

Press Shield while charging any attack (Smash or B move or possibly any move with start-up time like Warlock punch) to make it happen immediately and in the case of charge moves also come out at full power. In exchange your sheild is reduced to nothing and you lose the ability to use your block buttons for three seconds and you only get one per stock.

Revven

FrankerZ
How about this?

Focus Charge

Press Shield while charging any attack (Smash or B move or possibly any move with start-up time like Warlock punch) to make it happen immediately and in the case of charge moves also come out at full power. In exchange your sheild is reduced to nothing and you lose the ability to use your block buttons for three seconds and you only get one per stock.
That really isn't technical and honestly adds nothing to the game. =\

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
How about this?

Focus Charge

No disrespect but I do not like that idea at all. It just isn't a feature that Smash should have.

GPDP

Smash Ace
yay for the useless posts.
anyway, what do other fighting games have that brawl(+) doesn't? of the top of my head:
blocks, mid/high/low system, reversals and guilty gear has like 3 bars which I can't remember what they all did
well, those are the ones I can think of now and the first 2 are obviously not going to be in brawl+, the second would be very hard to code, but the third might be possible like the stale moves but then a bit different
Hit levels, for one. Some traditional fighting game fans feel this is precisely the reason why Smash will never have the same level of depth as other fighting games. In case you all don't know, by hit levels I mean the low punch/high punch game, which incorporates standing blocks and low blocks. I mean, you can sort of direct your shield upwards and downwards to block high hits and low hits, but it's not quite as refined as in other games. But that's just something we'll have to live with.

I have been vocal in the past about separating powershielding and normal shielding to create a parry system a la Street Fighter 3. R would bring up the shield, but the shield would not allow powershielding. L would do nothing if a hit is not incoming, but if it is, and you press it at the right time, you would powershield. This would also have the benefit of eliminating random powershields, and you would only PS whenever you consciously attempt it.

The problem is, everyone would have to learn to shield with R only, and many use L instead. But then again, there are some who use the nunchuk, and I believe even kupo started using the GC controller eventually, so I dunno lol. I would still love to try a code like this out.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Personally I agree with Project-05. This game needs some more technical depth to be more thrilling and satisfying in the long term.

Yea you could say it's more about strategy blah blah blah. But really, it has no more strategy than Melee does (arguably even less), and it's just slower. I love Brawl+, I really do, but it's nowhere near as satisfying or exhilarating as Melee is, and I think that will hurt in the long run.

By no means am I suggesting replicating Melee specifically. I'm just saying that this game needs Melee's sense of accomplishment if it's truly going to stand up. This game is already so many leagues above vBrawl, but it's still missing that special something, that let's you play for hours and days and weeks on end, even when you're already familiar with it.

that's my two cents, and why I think Melee is still better than Brawl+
That special something has to be air momentum
Kupo, what is the stand alone dash speed code?
Its not here, that would refer to a code with just the dash speed not merged with other stuff
Complex and really unneeded in my opinion. Is there a particular reason we're coming up with these ideas?
Yea, why are we trying to add stuff when the game isn't even ready for it? This isn't really the thread for crazy ideas

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
That special something has to be air momentum

Its not here, that would refer to a code with just the dash speed not merged with other stuff

Yea, why are we trying to add stuff when the game isn't even ready for it? This isn't really the thread for crazy ideas
Yeah I agree. Also, if we are making a Brawl the true sequel of Melee, shouldn't it play similar to it? I feel we shouldn't be trying to make it Melee 2.0 just for the sake of doing it, but the fact is that good sequels do borrow lots from the game before them.

Is anyone even still working on air momentum?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Pw hasn't given me any word :(

Im waiting for the air speed which iggly says he might be able to help with and the true spikes code that iggly also says he can look into. I hope they come soon, these meteors make me sick...

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
One thing that Melee had was good platform interaction. Wavelanding kind of brought a certain flow to platform stages that hasn't been replicated in Brawl. I don't really know anything that could emulate this flow since it seems like most people are against MAD/Wavelanding. I do admit when I tried it it did feel a little out of place.

Making more jump-cancelable moves might make some attacks more practical and add some tech skill. Yoshi's side B, Ice Climbers' side B, Falcon kick, shines, Bowser's grounded fortress and fire breath (lol), etc.

Just throwing stuff out there...

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
IASA: Interuptable as soon as -
meaning that an attack can be canceled into another attack after frame X

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
It's "Interruptible As Soon As".

Some moves let you interrupt their animations part way through with another attack. Think of Ganon's Usmash. Even though the animation isn't completely finished, Ganon can cut of the remaining frames and go straight into another attack. Many other moves have this feature.

Edit: Beaten to the punch twice over. yar.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
One thing that Melee had was good platform interaction. Wavelanding kind of brought a certain flow to platform stages that hasn't been replicated in Brawl. I don't really know anything that could emulate this flow since it seems like most people are against MAD/Wavelanding. I do admit when I tried it it did feel a little out of place.

Making more jump-cancelable moves might make some attacks more practical and add some tech skill. Yoshi's side B, Ice Climbers' side B, Falcon kick, shines, Bowser's grounded fortress and fire breath (lol), etc.

Just throwing stuff out there...
Well Brawl actually does have platform canceling, but its applications are really...hardly there. It only works on a few stages and the timing isn't exactly easy. I was hoping we could change that but I don't think many people have been interested in it. Also I'm betting its a result of the physics engine and not a real mechanic we can change.

I'm still hoping for more options with DAC though. :bee:

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
So I was thinking about the whole tech skill thing, and I agree that adding more options adds the tech skill that I really like about B+. Nothing arbitrary like wavedashing or L-cancelling, but something to extend my options farther. So I came up with this idea:

I like the idea of being able to jump out of the helpless state you are in when you are on the stage and miss a tech. Make it use your double jump too so if someone predicts it you get punished even harder because you don't have that extra jump to recover from combos and the like.

I also feel if that's what we do then we don't need to mess with the tech timing. With the option to roll left, right, attack, stand up, jump, or even hit the tech as your options to escape on the ground, I think we have lots of escape options for that situation.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I think it would be rather OP to be able to tech straight into the get up animation. Tech should put you back into neutral, not suddenly shift you into an advantageous position.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
It would probably be a bad idea, but a way we could do a hit level system would be to create a smaller shield that comes out in front of the player, that can more easily be moved up and down. Of course, it would take a lot of coding and probably wouldn't be worth anything at all. I'm just throwing it out there.

Top Bottom