• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compendium of Lucas Advanced Techniques - 4/9

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
so I'm lazy and didn't read everything and this isn't exactly an "advanced technique" and I'm sure a lot of Lucas mains know this but I figure I'll post it anyway...there may be like one or two people who don't know about this so why not help at least those people: I absorbed ZSS's dsmash. to add insult to injury...er.....injury to insult?, whatever, but you can easily get the hit off of the Psimagnet release after getting your health back ^_^

EDIT: please, don't be an a**hole and say "jeez toasty you're such a noob, everyone knows that", like I said...hopefully this will help at least one person out there because, while I haven't been keeping up with the posts and such here or on the Lucas forums in general, I haven't really seen anyone do this or heard about it

prOAPC

Smash Lord
yesterday, i had some friendlies, and i was practicing lucas' at.
i used the magnet pull to recovery, is good, but i didn't like it that much because i get vulnerable for a while.
i used the magnet pull as an attack and is awesome!!! A lot of mindgames with that technique. For example, double jump just above the opponent's head, wbpkf, and then pull magnet foward, best kill you can get with Lucas :D. Also, i double jump wbpkf of the stage, and then i used a reverse magnet pull and hit the enemy :)
also, for those people that say that lucas' dash attack is bad, well, try to use the psi magnet while running, i use b-stick, and i can get a little momentum foward or backward :)

Nokes

Smash Rookie
I don't know if you want to add this, but it applies to the magnet pull. After you do the wavebounce for a full hop, instead of just using down b, you can press the opposite direction Lucas is facing on your joystick and diagonally downward in the other direction. This makes Lucas magnet pull in the opposite direction then you normally would and returns to the spot he orginally wave bounced.

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you want to add this, but it applies to the magnet pull. After you do the wavebounce for a full hop, instead of just using down b, you can press the opposite direction Lucas is facing on your joystick and diagonally downward in the other direction. This makes Lucas magnet pull in the opposite direction then you normally would and returns to the spot he orginally wave bounced.

yeaa isnt that called reverse momentum magnet pull or sth? :p
here's a video > http://youtube.com/watch?v=-PTvwXjMBsg

Levitas

the moon
You can wavebounce in either direction. That goes for pk fire, too, but is far less pronounced due to the fact that the attack itself shoots you backwards.

Pennzoil

Smash Rookie
I dont know if its been posted and been called useless yet. I dont see it on page 1 and im not reading all 11 pages to see if its mentioned buuuut.

When running to an edge with Lucas hit your up B and time it just right so you slide off the ledge while you're floating then pretty much as soon as your pk thunder happens hold down on the control stick and the PK thunder will almost instantly hit you and spike you down at an angle back towards the ledge... Its pretty much instant death on most levels but on any level with a ledge and a bottom under it you can instantly up-B2 or whatever its called right into someone.

Ive only used it in a fight once (on a built stage) but it made me rofl and actually hit the guy i was fighting, good stuff. im sure it would work in New Pork City on any number of the ledges, or on the mario sunshine level with the platform setup in a certain fashion, or Battlefield.
(id try to see if its possible but im at work and not able to play my Wii, and ill forget about posting this 2 minutes after work GO A.D.D.!)

if i am the first to figure this out and it becomes useful i want it to be called "Reretardinged"

Edit: or maybe call it "Bacon Fat" they're both pretty sweet names

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
Known for a while now. Thundersliding. Use the search function for my thread on it.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol tell it to Earthbound360. He came up with it in Melee because a similar thing was possible with Ness. Just makes sense to keep the name between games to avoid confusion.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I found out that you can magnet pull forwards. Its weird, cause it works differently whether you zap jump or just wavebounce off of your second jump. in the case of the latter its not really going forwards, you just can turn around and then use it, making you go forward. For the former you smash the stick in the direction your facing as you use psi magnet. I successfully did it like 3 times plus a couple times in matches by accident.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
I think this is what cause Dapcool's momentum: Lucas jumping backward combind with the force of lucas doing a PK Fire the oppisite way makes Lucas go farther backward as the momentum of jumping backwards still caries Lucas farther back while doing a PK Fire, thus creating a waveland.

I really hope that made sence.

Levitas

the moon
lol, "inventing" a technique isn't that important. The real important thing is that we collectively find all the useful exploits in lucas's nature and are able to take advantage of them.

Swervytown

Smash Rookie
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read in this section so far. Very informative and useful, thanks.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Wow! Lucas is my secondary main, and I never realized just how many ATs he had.......

IDK

Smash Lord
which is why he WOULD be higher on the tier list if it weren't for that stupid chain grab.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Since I don't see this mentioned here, and I haven't seen a video of it, I guess it's either not an AT, no one knows about it, or no one cares about it (since it only works on certain stages).

It's actually very easy to do and doesn't require precise timing, but what it does require is ICE. So only Pokemon Stadium 2 or The Summit can really support this move, unless you play on a lot of custom stages like I do.

To do this, all you have to do is run in one direction on ice (with enough room ahead of you to slide), then do your Up+B and send it pretty much directly in the direction you'll be sliding. The only trick here is that Lucas slides faster than the Up+B sphere, so he actually slides into the sphere immediately and shoots back in the opposite direction.

I don't have a video. If this isn't totally old news, someone could pretty easily post a video of it. Unfortunately, this is also a good way to get yourself killed if you aren't careful. :) That's pretty much how I discovered it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I found something about zap jumping that involves B-reversing. Normally, zap jumping will lose height if you do it facing backwards. This means we only get diminished zap jumps facing backwards. However, we CAn get the full height. If you want a full zap jump facing backwards, start a zap jump moving forwards, then quickly B-reverse it.

So that's
Hold forward
Jump+B
Tap backwards immediatly after the zap jump.

You can even do the wave zap with this, just using the C-stick.

I also think PKT ledgestalls should be in here. They are awesome. While hanging on the edge, tap back, and use PKT. Direct it into the stage to make an attack that pushes people away from the edge and lets you return safely. Lucas will also regrab the edge very quickly. Also, if you drop down a bit before using PKT, you can make it hit the underside of the lip to regrab it faster.

What else now? The tether thingy where you repeatedly grab the edge with Lucas' rope snake for invicibility frames. Link and Samus players do it, so why not us?

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
if all of these tshniques are here, why do people put lucas at low tier rankings?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
lol because 90% of Lucas's "advanced techniques" are situational at best and completely useless at worst. Unlike for instance Snake's Mortar Slide, none of them give you any real advantage except as possible ways to dodge attacks and even that is pushing it. Lucas's strengths lie in the details of his simple moves, not his pointless little quirks. I guarantee Lucas will remain low tier because he is both unpopular and has a whole lot of disadvantages working against him. And no it is not because of the grab release chaingrab on him. It's because he is fundamentally a worse character than some of the high tiers. Play against some good players and you will very quickly learn why he will never ever be high tier.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
i have been gone for quite some time... but i figured out something about the magnet pull. after you do pk fire, hold the opposite direction on the control stick and then do psi magnet and you will go back the way you came. i dunno how this would be useful... perhaps a fake out or something... just thought i'd point that out.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
That's a magnet pull
ya i know i was just saying you can make yourself go in either direction after the pk fire.

also, i don't know where i should post this so i guess i will just post it here. has anyone had any really strange things happen to them with Lucas like an attack going right past you and doing no damage? it is really weird... my bro plays yoshi and it usually happens with him. not always yoshi though. like once i did a forward smash the wrong way and when he tried to grab me (as yoshi, it was a running grab) the tongue passed right through me. i know yoshi's grab will go right past you even when you are standing still if he does a running grab when he is already touching you but he didn't do that. he placed it right and it should have grabbed me, but it didn't. most of the time this happens when i am using fsmash. i am not aware of any SA frames during the fsmash, if there are any. i thought super armor frames meant you got hit and took damage but weren't knocked back. this was different, like invisibility frames or something lol. i have had fsmashes, projectiles, pretty much everything pass through my lucas with no affect at all and it is really weird. it really pisses off other people too. i just was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it has, please be kind enough to enlighten me. keep in mind i have not visited the boards for a couple months so if it has already been discussed please explain... i just wanna know wth is going on...

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
It's still a far more accurate representation than "I think Lucas is mid tier so he must be." Ankoku just says that to avoid the arguments. There are plenty of people who think Mewtwo shouldn't be bottom tier in Melee but he still is because he can't perform well in tournaments. Lucas currently is not performing very well in tournaments and will therefore most likely be ranked low tier.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
i don't know where to post this either... can someone please make a combo thread? i would, but i am not very diligent about updating stuff so please somebody make a combo thread! it would make things a lot easier! please...

DARKHOKAGE

Smash Rookie
If this was already discovered I apologize. I guess then I suck at lurking. However I looked and found nothing.

I basically found a way to manipulate the magnet pull by going in different directions.

I made a video to demonstrate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJReqsR_ox4

Discuss.
lol great minds think alike!! i was messing around with that. i just dont see how it would work to my benefit in an actual match though yet

S.D

Smash Master
I've used the reverse magnet to edgeguard. If you jump out and use it (single jump) magnet pull towards a recovering opponent you can get aerials off on them and recover pretty easily with second jump PKT2. You can even catch them with PKT when you loop it around to hit yourself as a pretty reliable KO method. It's very situational though, your opponent has to be fairly low down for this to work, you also have to be pretty quick.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
There's really a lot of stuff you can still add in here if you are still updating it. Floorblasting, thundersliding, reverse aerial PSIM, PSIM cancel, and PKF lag cancel (even though Lucasdoesnt really need it).

Omis

my friends were skinny
There's really a lot of stuff you can still add in here if you are still updating it. Floorblasting, thundersliding, reverse aerial PSIM, PSIM cancel, and PKF lag cancel (even though Lucasdoesnt really need it).
Could you explain what those are? I've trying to fing new trick to confuse my friends with.

Top Bottom