• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compendium of Lucas Advanced Techniques - 4/9

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Not always. I don't know why but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I think if everyone gets slowed it goes slow but if everyone but the person who got it gets slowed it goes regular speed. No idea why. Not that it really is going to matter for most tournaments. Another fun fact for PK Thunder is that if you use it while sliding on ice you can hit yourself immediately straight down and keep sliding on the ground. Hilarious when you slide off the edge and can attack suddenly.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Not always. I don't know why but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I think if everyone gets slowed it goes slow but if everyone but the person who got it gets slowed it goes regular speed. No idea why. Not that it really is going to matter for most tournaments. Another fun fact for PK Thunder is that if you use it while sliding on ice you can hit yourself immediately straight down and keep sliding on the ground. Hilarious when you slide off the edge and can attack suddenly.
i was actually on random wifi when it happened. i was against a ness and he used it and it went the normal speed so i tried it with Lucas and the same thing happened. i think the stopwatch had slowed down everyone but i am not sure. it was on Pokemon Stadium 2 if that makes any difference...i don't know if i should have posted that here but i couldn't find a better place to post it. i was on the online practice stage when i posted it XD. the match started without me and i still won!

Skoox

Smash Cadet
Sorry if it's been asked before, but is it possible to Zap Jump using b-stick? I've tried both, and only side B works. Maybe it's just me.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if it's been asked before, but is it possible to Zap Jump using b-stick? I've tried both, and only side B works. Maybe it's just me.

it is just really hard to time right. i had the same problem but a little practice did the trick. you just have to tap the b-stick really fast. i used to time it so that the b-stick was hitting all the way to the left/right when i jumped. but the b-stick works when you just barely tilt it. so you just have to press it faster. sorry if my explanation was wierd... just do it really fast and it will solve your problem.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
I Have Some new findings that arent mentioned in the firt post about Wave Zapping. It is possible to get even more distance and protect yourself as you return to the stage (Assuming your using it for recovery). Perform a Zap Jump with Bsticking THEN Perform ANOTHER PK Fire Using the B Button You will be pushed back still further from the PK fire recoil. For some reason it isnt possible to use the Bstick twice for this so you have to switch. Additionally You can also still use PsiM after the second PKF for distance and by holding the opposite Down-Diagonal Direction your facing you'll turn around when performing PsiM giving yourself an attack at you opponent if your lucky, its also possible to turn around w/o the 2nd PKF or Zap Jump.

To perform the Double Zap Wave with PsiM Reverse controls are as follows:
L = Left on Control Stick, DR = Down Right On the Control stick

L -> Y+R-Bstick -> L+B -> DR+B

Using this You can actually clear from one side of FD to the other. Hope this helps some and isnt... Old XD

EDIT : My Bad, You CAN use the C-Stick for the 2nd PK fire you just have to use it in the direction your facing However its still conveniant to use the B button as it allows you to be ready to Reverse Air your PsiM

EDIT 2: You can still go even FURTHER with Wave Zapping by Wave Zapping then alternating PKF and PsiM and get the same wavedashing effect each time :

Bstick Zap Jump -> PsiM -> PKF -> PsiM -> PKF Just keep repeating the two Its actually possible to go from one side of the screen to the other on FD.

ok we need a youtube video of this.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
So lucas is ridiculous. I just went under FD. Why does this work? What kind of sick joke is sakurai playing?

coolguy75

Smash Cadet
Okay magnet pull questions:

I thought that wavebounce was only with shorthopping? if not where does the double jump come in?
To execute the magnet pull right after the PK fire does the PSI magnet need to be released? Or does it just need to come out?
Which way does Lucas face as he does the magnet pull? in the direction of the wavebounce or the direction the PK fire goes?
and If it faces the direction the wavebounce goes is it at all viable for a PSI magnet attack if the entire thing is reversed? Or does it just take way too long for it to be a workable PSI magnet attack strategy?

Sorry I have a lot of questions

cyTO

Smash Rookie
I Have Some new findings that arent mentioned in the firt post about Wave Zapping. It is possible to get even more distance and protect yourself as you return to the stage (Assuming your using it for recovery). Perform a Zap Jump with Bsticking THEN Perform ANOTHER PK Fire Using the B Button You will be pushed back still further from the PK fire recoil. For some reason it isnt possible to use the Bstick twice for this so you have to switch. Additionally You can also still use PsiM after the second PKF for distance and by holding the opposite Down-Diagonal Direction your facing you'll turn around when performing PsiM giving yourself an attack at you opponent if your lucky, its also possible to turn around w/o the 2nd PKF or Zap Jump.

To perform the Double Zap Wave with PsiM Reverse controls are as follows:
L = Left on Control Stick, DR = Down Right On the Control stick

L -> Y+R-Bstick -> L+B -> DR+B

Using this You can actually clear from one side of FD to the other. Hope this helps some and isnt... Old XD

EDIT : My Bad, You CAN use the C-Stick for the 2nd PK fire you just have to use it in the direction your facing However its still conveniant to use the B button as it allows you to be ready to Reverse Air your PsiM

EDIT 2: You can still go even FURTHER with Wave Zapping by Wave Zapping then alternating PKF and PsiM and get the same wavedashing effect each time :

Bstick Zap Jump -> PsiM -> PKF -> PsiM -> PKF Just keep repeating the two Its actually possible to go from one side of the screen to the other on FD.
I discovered this today too while practicing AT's, yeah its an awesome recovery, but a very complicated one. I did it against my friend and he was like WTF aha! But yeah I was practicing DI waveland and wavebouncing and decided to practice some Zap jumping and did a PKF and saw it push me then i added the PsiM. Lucas is the most awesome character ever! :psycho:

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Hmm Well I gave away most of my GCN controllers to my siblings who have bought a Wii, so now I'm stuck with a single GCN controller, who my other sibling uses when I play with. Now i have to use this cruddy SideWays Wiimote, but i'll be using the nunchuk later. I can perform the zapjump with default controls on wiimote, but it's quite complicated, so anyone have some tips on doing it? Also need tips for doing the Magnet Pull and Wave Zap :3
Thanks - By the way, am I the only one who thinks that the PK Thunder in online mode is less responsive, it doesn't form as tight circles as it does when you don't play online?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
By the way, am I the only one who thinks that the PK Thunder in online mode is less responsive, it doesn't form as tight circles as it does when you don't play online?
I just got my Wii yesterday and played online with Lucas for the first time last night [against Anther's Pikachu and Lucario of all people].............so many suicides just because of the lag [Virginia to Michigan] when I try to do PKT. The thing is that the time in the game keeps going but the transmission of your button input into the actual game is delayed. Thus you will shoot out PKT eventually...but the thunder will receive the input to move little by little [it seems], causing wider circles...and many more deaths X_x

lag or not, I got ***** and I got a couple good victories myself. I say he was sandbagging though haha. I did feel bad though because we would both taunt to see the text, but it would look like he wasn't going to taunt but he was approaching, so I'd shoot him with PKfire just as he was taunting..... >_> it wouldn't have mattered if it didn't happen severl times haha. oh well. Anther's Lucario is nasty and his Pika is scary as usual...HOWEVER. If you see him [or any Pikachu] trying to mindgame you with his upB all over the stage and into the stage, just throw out a downsmash and he'll either retreat or eat it because of the several hitboxes. Don't rely on that often though, just do it early to set the mood, if you will, so that he doesn't do it as much.

SoulTrigger

Smash Rookie
I've posted a video of several (though not all) of the techs listed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjNswHpHGU

1st: Zap Jump
2nd: Magnet Pull
3rd: Wavebounce
4th: SH RAR Bair (Short Hopped Reverse Aerial Rush Back Air)
5th: RAR Dair (Reverse Aerial Rush Down Air) <- Probably too much lag time after the landing
6th: Sweeping
7th: Tether

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Soultrigger, add the thunderslide. I have a thread on it in here and it could really use a fresh video, especially one that shows the thunder cancel. Nobody seems to be paying it much attention here but it has a lot of unexplored uses. I'm really disappointed in how little people have been paying attention to Lucas's PKT2 considering how useful it can be when used correctly.

Famous

Smash Champion
Then what is it? I wouldn't really know since I barely see a Marth/Lucas matchup. The only thing I really seen in those matches were the F-Throw F-Smash combo.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
Mind games
dunno if anyone mentioned this already
but i found out a good mind game using pk fire, sometimes whenever lucas is in the air and does pk fire it doesnt go off, maybe this is due to a short hop or something, anyways he says pk fire but nothing comes out of his hand. When i was fighting my friend i tried this lil mind game and just by hearing pk fire my friend rolled out of the way. Sometimes out of panic he would rolled towards me allowing me to get a clean hit with fsmash. idk sounds kinda lame and simple

Levitas

the moon
The only question about that is whether or not getting the Pk fire out there and the extra distance between you and them that the full wavebounce gets you is strictly better than the faked pk fire or not. I'm thinking that although it's possible that the faked pk fire can work out situationally, the extra distance and cover that the normal wavebouce gives you is almost always better.

SoulTrigger

Smash Rookie
Soultrigger, add the thunderslide. I have a thread on it in here and it could really use a fresh video, especially one that shows the thunder cancel. Nobody seems to be paying it much attention here but it has a lot of unexplored uses. I'm really disappointed in how little people have been paying attention to Lucas's PKT2 considering how useful it can be when used correctly.
I haven't been able to do it very well. I'll try posting a vid up if I get better.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
The only question about that is whether or not getting the Pk fire out there and the extra distance between you and them that the full wavebounce gets you is strictly better than the faked pk fire or not. I'm thinking that although it's possible that the faked pk fire can work out situationally, the extra distance and cover that the normal wavebouce gives you is almost always better.
i agree with the wavebounce, my mind game idea was just a way to mix up a lil. wavebouncing> fake pk fire.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
hey guys i dont have time to read everything...i skimmed and didnt find this....i was messin around and found out that Lucas can throw out his snake...and it will come back quicker than normal....i havnt mastered it....i press left right left right really fast(dash dance) and then throw....i get lucky and do it sumtimes....i was wondering has anyone mastered or know how to do this for sure?

-Mekos

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
hah, arrowhead is probably just used to [and spiteful of] nubs who want to look for the glitches and either think that mastering those will make them "pro" or they'll ***** about those things for being "cheap" because they're "not supposed to be in the game" [plenty of kids who complained about...WAVEDASHING of all things @_@]

EDIT: at least he answered your question :) If they challenge you at the tournament for using it, remind them that it's possible to wavebounce without changing your control scheme, it's just wayyyyy easier to do it with B-sticking

Levitas

the moon
hey guys i dont have time to read everything...i skimmed and didnt find this....i was messin around and found out that Lucas can throw out his snake...and it will come back quicker than normal....i havnt mastered it....i press left right left right really fast(dash dance) and then throw....i get lucky and do it sumtimes....i was wondering has anyone mastered or know how to do this for sure?

-Mekos
You're talking about the pivot grab. Try running through someone, turning around quickly, and pressing z. If you miss, the snake goes away quick. There are other applications.

yes, it matters, next saturday i have a tournament, and one of the rules is "no glitch", so i don't know if i can use wavebouncing
Don't risk magnet extending or zap jumping, but if you explain to them that wavebouncing is a control shortcut for a turnaround pk fire aerial controlled fully away (which it is), they should realize that it isn't a glitch.

Levitas

the moon
While it's certainly not advanced, has anyone found out exactly what differentiates a spike bair from the other hits? I imagine that at different points in the animation, it changes from being a outward to downward hit, but it would be so much easier to tell when and where the spike hits if we had a debug mode like in melee.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Has anyone been able to incorporate psi magnet wavedashing effectively into their battles?
lol Azen sort of did to my friend. I wish I saw it, but Azen explained it to him like this:
(non-wavebouncing I'm sure) SH toward opponent, reverse PK Fire(Lucas goes through shielding opponent backward and opponent whiffs grab...almost guaranteed), psi magnet "to unstick him from the ground", fsmash

other than that, I guess I've jumped out of shield (used the shield to bait someone into charging) and basically did the "wavedash" psi magnet. It was a Wolf, if someone thinks that matters.

KuroiNeko

Smash Rookie
Pretty much every part of his bair is a spike. Only exceptions being when it is starting up (can't spike if it doesn't hit), and the last part, both when Lucas is vertical (I don't even think the last little bit hits at all, despite there being some magic still coming out of his foot, or at least it's pretty hard to time). Lucas can be angled upwards, downards, or completely horizontal. It'll all spell your opponent's doom.

Anyway, the distance between the two characters is key. It's easiest when the two are about level, although Lucas can be taller by the length of his outrageous hairdo, or kick them in the gut (practiced on Ike), but the tip of his shoe has to graze them (or more specifically, his fairy dust is inside of them). Just practice in training mode in a slower motion to get the specifics.

GofG

Smash Champion
I'm skeptical, KuroiNeko. I've never been able to get the spike to hit that often. I will test, however.

Top Bottom