• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators at EVO 2013

clowsui

Smash Legend
This will get asked sooner or later so I wanted to take the initiative to make the thread and ask now.

Since we're a main game we're going to get some great exposure on stream at some point. This means that our top8 will be up on stage (or top 4, depending on time constraints I'll bet), and that we're going to need some stellar commentators to go along with the play up on stage. That is, seeing that EVO averages even 30k during the "down-times", we have a huge chance to expose a lot of people to competitive Smash.

So here's the question: if you could choose two people to commentate Smash at EVO, who would you select?

Personally, I would select Wobbles and Prog. Both have a lot of personality behind the mic, they know how to accomodate another commentator, and they're also both very knowledgeable about different aspects of the game (Prog is pretty knowledgeable about players while Wobbles has pretty deep insights in terms of mechanics/interactions).

What about you?

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I think Wobbles + Prog is a spot-on team you've come up with.

Good alternates to either would be Dogysamich, D1, Lovage, or Bob$. Dream team IMO would be any of these guys + Wife.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
we need some low tier experts in case people play them on stream. I'll commentate if that happens

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
This will get asked sooner or later so I wanted to take the initiative to make the thread and ask now.

Since we're a main game we're going to get some great exposure on stream at some point. This means that our top8 will be up on stage (or top 4, depending on time constraints I'll bet), and that we're going to need some stellar commentators to go along with the play up on stage. That is, seeing that EVO averages even 30k during the "down-times", we have a huge chance to expose a lot of people to competitive Smash.

So here's the question: if you could choose two people to commentate Smash at EVO, who would you select?

Personally, I would select Wobbles and Prog. Both have a lot of personality behind the mic, they know how to accomodate another commentator, and they're also both very knowledgeable about different aspects of the game (Prog is pretty knowledgeable about players while Wobbles has pretty deep insights in terms of mechanics/interactions).

What about you?
i agree with that pairing, but if we could get wife that'd be optimal. my secondary commentators would be D1 and bob$

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
You chose the two I'd pick haha. They definitely know how to accommodate other commentators and they both give insightful and un-biased commentary.

I also think they're both entertaining, and both in different and interesting ways at that.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I feel like D1 has a good sense of getting people new to smash and its terms acclimated to what is going on, and I like his commentary, so it would be nice to see him. Has wife been keeping up with the metagame and new players? If not, I don't really know if he would be the right man for this job, despite his legendary status. Prog, Bob$, and Wobbles are all good commentators, and it would be good for Bob$ to be on or at least someone from Cali/WC who knows the scene there a little more intimately considering it will be in Las Vegas and there for have a higher concentration of players from that area.

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm not sure about Waffles. If he could not curse, he would be fine, as he'd be the Yipes equivalent. But otherwise... yeah, better to have Wobbles, prog, D1, and Wife (if it's possible to get him lol).

MVP

Smash Ace
There better be Waffles... The hype he generates is memorable, exciting, funny, and gets people involved. It would make EVO 10x better. But i do agree he can't cuss. But i also think he's capable of commentating without cussing.

Hype people....Hype

Engo

Smash Ace
We should get commentators from other games to commentate our grand finals to promote and strengthen relationship between the communities and finally get the respect we've always wanted!! Make sure to use FGC terminology!

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I think someone with a lot of knowledge of the game like Wobbles plus someone who is good at hyping **** up like HMW would be a good combo.

Not only would that be an awesome combo, but people who are watching competitive melee for the first time would get good analysis from Wobbles and HMW will make everything super exciting. Plus they are both awesome people who would appeal well new players.

I also like Dogy + Prog, cause they are each good at both hype and analysis

unknown522

Some guy
I think prog + Dogy would be the best choice. If not then prog + D1.

If there has to be someone from west side (like mandatory), then wobbles I guess (if he's not in the matches obv)

Or prog + Mango cuz he's gonna get wuuuuuuuuuped :troll:

:phone:

Scythe

Smash Master
pretty sure waffles is incapable of commentary without cursing

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Wait, why aren't you allowed to curse on Evo commentary? Is it for the 8 year olds or something?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wait, why aren't you allowed to curse on Evo commentary? Is it for the 8 year olds or something?
I mean even if it wasn't allowed we're trying to get melee into the spotlight and we're not going to do that by cursing and alienating people.

Melty Venus

Smash Cadet
D1 + Wobbles

Lovage + Wobbles (seems like a pretty good pair)

I think we are good as long as we have any of these guys:

Lovage, Wobbles, Prog, D1, Ken (:troll:)

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
This is a world event, and we are professional.
the man has spoken!

i didn't think waffles would be an EVO commentator anyway. that's why we have genesis 3 dawg =]

I think HMW needs Phil though. Alone, they are alright. Together, it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen with regards to hype commentary.

Also, I don't think waffles + wobbles would be a good idea. I feel like they'd trip over each other too much trying to do two radically different things lol

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
I think everyone who has been mentioned except for Dogy is a good idea.

Most likely it will be Prog+???

I think Lovage + Wobbles would be the best

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Any combination of prog, d1, lovage, and wobbles.
This right here. Also if swiftbass wanted to commentate, I'd add him; I remember him + D1 being possibly the best combo. Prog + D1 would be ideal for GFs imo. Wobbles and lovage are good commentators as well as having a lot of game knowledge.

Beat!

Smash Master
Wobbles, D1, Wife, Prog. Maybe Lovage as well.

Waffles and Phil are completely fine when they don't do that stuff they did at Gen2, but as some have mentioned, their commentary wouldn't be very well suited for a large, professional event anyway.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'd honestly think it'd be interesting to have a smash commentator like Wobbles paired up with an FGC commentator like UltraDavid for some parts of the event, where we'd have Wobbles help explain to David many of the subtle aspects of the game because not many of the viewers will know what's going on in it.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'd honestly think it'd be interesting to have a smash commentator like Wobbles paired up with an FGC commentator like UltraDavid for some parts of the event, where we'd have Wobbles help explain to David many of the subtle aspects of the game because not many of the viewers will know what's going on in it.
I think this would be good idea if anyone from the Ultrachen pair is available/down for it.

Revven

FrankerZ
I would love to see this happen. James Chen tried to commentate Melee at Evo 2007 apparently (before he became as good as he is today) so it'd be a really nice throwback for him in a way. And I don't think Ultradavid or James Chen would be opposed to it assuming the time Smash is on doesn't conflict for one of them.

prog/Wobbles with either James/Ultradavid would be so cute. LOL

And also viewers who watch the other games would feel more welcome to watch Smash if their favorite commentator is watching/commentating as well.

I know it's not often you see James Chen or Ultradavid commentating for the other FGs like Persona or Tekken or Soul Calibur but here it feels like it needs to happen. Obviously not both of them commentating it, but one of them with a Smash commentator right beside them to explain when necessary etc. Wobbles, D1, or prog paired with James Chen or Ultradavid would be a sight to see.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Why's dogy get no love? He's as good a candidate as any of the other names that keep popping up (wobbles, prog, etc), and as others have stated for an event like this I'd rather have him on there than waffles or someone else in that vein (nothing against waffles as his stuff is hilarious, but this really isn't the place).

He's also (I think) pretty into other traditional fighters and as such might be a good person to pair with an ultradavid or someone to that effect since it'd be easier for him to draw comparisons to other games (falco's lasers let him control space similarly to X character in Y game, etc).

clowsui

Smash Legend
Why's dogy get no love? He's as good a candidate as any of the other names that keep popping up (wobbles, prog, etc), and as others have stated for an event like this I'd rather have him on there than waffles or someone else in that vein (nothing against waffles as his stuff is hilarious, but this really isn't the place).

He's also (I think) pretty into other traditional fighters and as such might be a good person to pair with an ultradavid or someone to that effect since it'd be easier for him to draw comparisons to other games (falco's lasers let him control space similarly to X character in Y game, etc).
I don't like Dogy's attitude about the community. It's probably bad to judge someone by their twitter but I don't get the feeling he has any love for Smash any more. Having someone who loves other fighters but ALSO is knowledgeable about the community/game is necessary imo. If Dogy didn't appear to hate the living guts out of Smash (or came here to set the record straight, one of the two), I think he'd be a good candidate.

I think UltraProg/WobblesChen/ProgChen/UltraWobbles would be a good combo (Wife would do it too for the record) but the issue is avoiding an Adam Sessler situation lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also, I loved his commentary and how thorough he was during Links vs Stinks, Strong Bad would be a pick of mine.
I'd be down. It would be an honor.
And, I think I'd dress up if I were to commentate. =)

Top Bottom