• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combination of Domination

-Googs

Smash Lord
that would be nice. I'm probably hosting one in montreal around september, you should bring a carpool up or something, a 'bus' pool

swordgard

Smash Hero
Don't worry mprime I already knew.

Gi, everyone else from mtl is going to be housed at Mr L's. I am the only one in need of housing, or worst case just travel companions to mississauga. I would still get there on my own, just going to be a boring bussing time.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Pools benefit the bottom ~60% of players, aka pot monsters, aka the people who give top players money. You come to a tournament to play smash, it might as well in pools, right?

Not an argument for pools this tournament, just in general.
this game is 3 years old. 3 years ago, i can understand pools. the game was new, people wanted to flesh out and get a feel for the game. now? its useless. if, after 3 years, you arent coming expecting to win or trying to test out how good you are compared toe veryone else, you are wasting your time entering the tournament. if you want to come to just play, come, pay only the venue fee, and just play casual matches with other players all day long, meet everyone, etc.

I will make sure Chibo will have the time of his life. ;)
biiiggg no homo needed here, i mean unless ur into that im not judging u guy

Cruxis

Smash Lord
you know, i never liked the argument in favor of pools where people say "you can play more matches"

if you wanna play more matches, go and get in some friendlies, instead of holding up the entire fucking tourney with pools and dragging it on.
at least with friendlies you can play them even after the tourneys done, or during with any free setups, and not interfere with anything. not to mention with pools, you are stuck playing only those people in your pool. friendlies you can play anyone you want.

personally i dont give a flying eff about playing more matches, especially with randomers in pools. ive had enough matches in this game to last me a god damn life time.
all the people that i want to actually play, they are in separate pools from me, so i meet them in brackets. and even if i dont end up meeting em in brackets, i can just friendly them after.
and to people who say "what about newcomers they need pools," in MY first tourney ever there were no pools, and i still made an impact on the scene. if newcomers feel the need to improve, like i said, get in a bunch of friendlies, that way they can play all they want while the tourney actually progresses.
fuck pools they need to be permanently scrapped from now on

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
you know, i never liked the argument in favor of pools where people say "you can play more matches"

if you wanna play more matches, go and get in some friendlies, instead of holding up the entire fucking tourney with pools and dragging it on.
at least with friendlies you can play them even after the tourneys done, or during with any free setups, and not interfere with anything. not to mention with pools, you are stuck playing only those people in your pool. friendlies you can play anyone you want.

personally i dont give a flying eff about playing more matches, especially with randomers in pools. ive had enough matches in this game to last me a god damn life time.
all the people that i want to actually play, they are in separate pools from me, so i meet them in brackets. and even if i dont end up meeting em in brackets, i can just friendly them after.
and to people who say "what about newcomers they need pools," in MY first tourney ever there were no pools, and i still made an impact on the scene. if newcomers feel the need to improve, like i said, get in a bunch of friendlies, that way they can play all they want while the tourney actually progresses.
fuck pools they need to be permanently scrapped from now on
The thing about pools is that those matches count and friendlies do NOT. If you can manage to beat some PR members in friendlies then ok sure but it doesn't mean anything at all. If you beat them in pools, money matches, or in brackets, then it means something.

I wasn't critisizing how retardid the host is for abandoning pools.....but yes, pools are good. Pools actually give us matches that count, unlike friendlies. ....but I love friendlies too, so I really don't mind at this point.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The thing about pools is that those matches count and friendlies do NOT. If you can manage to beat some PR members in friendlies then ok sure but it doesn't mean anything at all. If you beat them in pools, money matches, or in brackets, then it means something.

I wasn't critisizing how retardid the host is for abandoning pools.....but yes, pools are good. Pools actually give us matches that count, unlike friendlies. ....but I love friendlies too, so I really don't mind at this point.
The issue with pools is that they serve no actual purpose in terms of of a tournament compared to other systems. A tournament is made in order to determine the ranking of each players, but the amount of accuracy needs to increase towards the top end of the tournament. Pools are fun because they give you multiple opportunities to pull off upsets, but all this does is basically try to force "play until a top player messes up" mindset, which is not really that useful as pools will not influence how accurate the top 8 in a tourney will be or very little. On the other hand we could run triple elimination bracket which would make it more accurate overall but especially at the top end while still giving a chance to lower players. The amount of accuracy you gain is minimal compared to the amount of time wasted on this. The issue with pools is at worst you'l have one player who won't have top seed, and someone will be happy about it, but then he will come back in bracket and beat players in the same way only placing 1 spot lower, as you have only tested him against a few specific people who were chosen in a fashion to not be in the same level as him(in theory). All of this cost you an extra 3 hours minimum.

Yes, getting 10 matches is fun and all, and yes you get to have more chances at making upsets vs pros. But the point of this game is not to make top players play everyone until they mess up, when they can come back in bracket. Thats why your point is flawed, most top players actually don't try as hard in pools, a lot of them actually troll in pools, defeating the purpose of "making it count" and only ****ing up the seeding of the bracket.

Straight bracket, double/triple elim/swiss format are all good. Pools are only useful when you don't know the seeding of each player, and swiss format does a better job at it.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
The issue with pools is that they serve no actual purpose in terms of of a tournament compared to other systems. A tournament is made in order to determine the ranking of each players, but the amount of accuracy needs to increase towards the top end of the tournament. Pools are fun because they give you multiple opportunities to pull off upsets, but all this does is basically try to force "play until a top player messes up" mindset, which is not really that useful as pools will not influence how accurate the top 8 in a tourney will be or very little. On the other hand we could run triple elimination bracket which would make it more accurate overall but especially at the top end while still giving a chance to lower players. The amount of accuracy you gain is minimal compared to the amount of time wasted on this. The issue with pools is at worst you'l have one player who won't have top seed, and someone will be happy about it, but then he will come back in bracket and beat players in the same way only placing 1 spot lower, as you have only tested him against a few specific people who were chosen in a fashion to not be in the same level as him(in theory). All of this cost you an extra 3 hours minimum.

Yes, getting 10 matches is fun and all, and yes you get to have more chances at making upsets vs pros. But the point of this game is not to make top players play everyone until they mess up, when they can come back in bracket. Thats why your point is flawed, most top players actually don't try as hard in pools, a lot of them actually troll in pools, defeating the purpose of "making it count" and only ****ing up the seeding of the bracket.

Straight bracket, double/triple elim/swiss format are all good. Pools are only useful when you don't know the seeding of each player, and swiss format does a better job at it.
triple elimination??? ... lol I never heard of this... that's pretty cool. lol

Ya well I personally enjoy pools for other reasons too. Such as playing certain top players I would normally NOT play in friendlies. In other words, Pools give me the opportunity to play those players. ...but again... this isn't really the case around here.. What I mentioned mostly matters if I went to USA or something.

Yes though, it's true that lots of pros don't play at their best and sometimes troll in pools. I may not be a pro....but I do this sometimes too... UP-B SPAM WITH FOX!!!! lol

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
oh i also need a doubles partner soooo
MR L ME LOVE YOU =D dooo eettt me must represent gfaqs! if not thenn
somebody love me im lonely

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
>.> Finally I can Post.
Razor is busy so not going to bug her again.. >.>

Anyway! Mprime. Do not forget our Money Match.

Oh and just a hint.
Leaf's Rob scared the hell out of me the Other Day. Just Saying.
Last Tourney.
Leaf - 13/42.
Poke - 17/42.
I predict..
Poke - 13/XX.
Leaf - 7-9/XX.

buenob

Smash Lord
Confirm me for singles brawl and maybe MVC3 if I feel like being super free again. I would like to do doubles but don't have a partner. Also I can give a ride to Tinman and 2 others if they can reach to his place.

:phone:

swordgard

Smash Hero
Also, anyone MM, willing to MM most people with most of my secondaries(snake/diddy/falco/marth/sheik). Joe don't forget that 5$!

snake23

Smash Cadet
whitby is a better region than hamilton right now, we beat them in a crew battle last tournament, you can look for the match in mprimes sig.

:D
You can also find the crew battle whitby vs hamilton matches on XTinXManX's main youtube channel or through Esc Champ's youtube channel.

snake23

Smash Cadet
Gichan i have a question for you so the prizes will they only be given to the winners of the mississauga tourney for ssf4 arcade edition 1st place winner mvc3 1st place winner and brawl 1st place winner?

Mr_L

Smash Journeyman
Still don't know who I'm teaming with yet. Got a few people i got in mind

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Triple elimination doesn't work ppl. I tried it out on paper a while ago. Its impossible to finish dat format.

Thanks a lot Buenob! Dis *** finally got a ride ^-^. Kongmetal, imma try and hook u up bro. Might bring a full setup. Depends on Buenob's car space.

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
hmm i wonder who Mr k.. err i mean mr l ...
i wonder who....
i guess ill have to team with poke.. oh snap pro team!

swordgard

Smash Hero
Triple elimination doesn't work ppl. I tried it out on paper a while ago. Its impossible to finish dat format.

Thanks a lot Buenob! Dis *** finally got a ride ^-^. Kongmetal, imma try and hook u up bro. Might bring a full setup. Depends on Buenob's car space.

Uh?

It works lol what are you talking about?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Do you really want it to be triple elimination when you can't even win a single set vs me? :troll:

*Edit
Oh **** Buenob coming, hype!
Do you really want to enter a tournament when you can't even win a single game against my ice climbers.

Or would you rather have me not sandbag you when you claim you will break your controller if you lose this game?

The choice is your's, freenightmare.

Mikey7

Smash Lord

2 options:
1) get better then ull have enough chacnes at every tourney to beat them
2) money match them

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Not coming anymore :/

kind of scared to
Trust me, a machine need not to fear a furry. You just have to burn him down. :)

Do you really want to enter a tournament when you can't even win a single game against my ice climbers.

Or would you rather have me not sandbag you when you claim you will break your controller if you lose this game?

The choice is your's, freenightmare.
You know when you say I should stop giving people false hope? Well that's what I do when we play.
At this tournament I will show you that you don't actually block well at this game. :troll:

fUddO

Smash Ace
You forgot another reason why pools are great for new people - they get to actually meet people in a much simpler setting. Not everyone understands or has the courage to just walk up to a setup where two top level players are duking it out and ask for friendlies.

buenob

Smash Lord
I unfortunately don't have a tone of time so Tin has say as to who he gets to cuddle with in the back seat. We have a station wagon sp we can fit us + a setup or two depending om the size of the TVs.

@holy: oh ***** lol, we gotta have some mad friendlies... Maybe u can teach me how to play MK before the tournment starts so I don't John my character sucks.

@chibo: you gotta come! Then at least someone can rep. the robot properly lol

@raidos: I herd u need a partner? Is this true and would you want to play with me?

Top Bottom