• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
COSMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TAKES THE LEAD. Bloshi fails to make it out of pools, shoulda stuck with brawl. ITS OVERRRRRRRRRRR
This is the best post here.

also i'm about to buy MvC2 since i got off the computer for a sec and set up my xbox live finally. Does anyone have a 360 stick i can borrow or know of a cheap *** one i can buy and i mean cheap but GOOD. ill get the 100$+ ones later

also, looking around i found this C3 GGXXAC upload by Don check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOB5GUAtTDM

pretty fun watching year old videos of us paying GG

im being forced to play LoL for now so ill do shouts and venue review in a few hours

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
If'n Lyn and I end up not hanging out after I jorb hunt (notlikely), then I'd be up for it. I'll letcha know via TEXXXXXXXT MESSAAAAAAAAAAGE!

EDIT: Ferdi, I can make ya one. It's the same layout as my stick, but a little smaller. I'll bring the box sometime. You just hafta get the parts you want, and it'll treat you as well as (if not better than) a $100+ stick.

Underload

Lazy
Yessssss, I have a partner for FF!

And speaking of EFL.

I'm still with the idea experimenting like all hell with the Brawl ruleset for this (Meno knows all about it), since it's a tiny local and everything. Big change would be 7 starters. I see why people complain about FD, but it'll still be a starter (against my first intentions). The starter list would be:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Frigate Orpheon

But, I've been kind of forcing the idea down everyone's throat. And even though I technically CAN, because I'm running the ****, if people really despise the idea of experimenting for one tourney, I can just go with a regular ruleset. Regular ruleset would be FD, BF, SV, YI (PS1 if you wanna go by "Colorado standard"), with a few omissions from the CP list. Yeah yeah?

Here's the important part. I'm all for Melee at EFL, especially since Dan is a nice enough guy to bring a crap ton of TVs to the venue for me to use. (And any doubt about me running the tourney incorrectly would be eliminated since Tony would be there for BB) Buuuuut, I'm not gonna make it my responsibility to advertise it, because I don't know the Melee scene. The whole Melee event is still on, but there better be some people that show up. I'm leaving it up to the in-touch Melee players to spread the word. If they want to be lazy about it, well, I'm fine just running Brawl.

Melee ruleset will the Smashboards standard. That one's 8 years in the making (unlike Brawl), so it's really unnecessary to make any drastic changes. Might only be singles for Melee, though, since EFL can only run until about 5 PM. Brawl singles, Melee singles, and Brawl doubles might even be pushing it.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Here's the important part. I'm all for Melee at EFL, especially since Dan Z is a nice enough guy to bring a crap ton of TVs to the venue for me to use. (And any doubt about me running the tourney incorrectly would be eliminated since Tony would be there for BB) Buuuuut, I'm not gonna make it my responsibility to advertise it, because I don't know the Melee scene. The whole Melee event is still on, but there better be some people that show up. I'm leaving it up to the in-touch Melee players to spread the word. If they want to be lazy about it, well, I'm fine just running Brawl.

Melee ruleset will the Smashboards standard. That one's 8 years in the making (unlike Brawl), so it's really unnecessary to make any drastic changes. Might only be singles for Melee, though, since EFL can only run until about 5 PM. Brawl singles, Melee singles, and Brawl doubles might even be pushing it.
Fix'd that for you.

On another note, I wouldn't mind helping you run the melee thing if you think you got your hands full with brawl. I'm planning on getting another TV heresoon (yes, one that is bigger than my awesome portable 1v1 screen). In terms of spreading the word, it's pretty much spread already (us on the forums). I don't know of many others who do melee who aren't on the forums.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
So it looks like BESS is coming over, if that changes anyone's minds about also coming to Tim's house of dog hair.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so how many TVs can you bring? I'm confused as to the numbers :/
2 x 1v1 TVs and a 2v2 quality TV. Grant it the 1v1's could be used for teams.. but space is an issue and visibility. That's for smash.

I'll be bringing my BB setup as well, but that's irrelevant.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yessssss, I have a partner for FF!

And speaking of EFL.

I'm still with the idea experimenting like all hell with the Brawl ruleset for this (Meno knows all about it), since it's a tiny local and everything. Big change would be 7 starters. I see why people complain about FD, but it'll still be a starter (against my first intentions). The starter list would be:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Frigate Orpheon

But, I've been kind of forcing the idea down everyone's throat. And even though I technically CAN, because I'm running the ****, if people really despise the idea of experimenting for one tourney, I can just go with a regular ruleset. Regular ruleset would be FD, BF, SV, YI (PS1 if you wanna go by "Colorado standard"), with a few omissions from the CP list. Yeah yeah?

Here's the important part. I'm all for Melee at EFL, especially since Dan is a nice enough guy to bring a crap ton of TVs to the venue for me to use. (And any doubt about me running the tourney incorrectly would be eliminated since Tony would be there for BB) Buuuuut, I'm not gonna make it my responsibility to advertise it, because I don't know the Melee scene. The whole Melee event is still on, but there better be some people that show up. I'm leaving it up to the in-touch Melee players to spread the word. If they want to be lazy about it, well, I'm fine just running Brawl.

Replace Frigate with Delfino, or something. Frigate is madd gay to too many characters. Like... unplayable for most tether characters. No way it can be neutral. Other than that, I'm down to experiment.

When is EFL, btw?

Underload

Lazy
Last Saturday of every month. I think it's the 30th.

And I could go into detail about Delfino vs. Frigate, I already did with Meno. The conclusion was:

- Delfino gives some characters HUGE advantages, and very few have specific disadvantages.
- Frigate really doesn't give characters distinct advantages, although it gives significant disadvantages to about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cast because of their bad recoveries. Falco's the only high tier that's really affected by it, and he can **** characters over twice as bad on that edge with a CG-spike.

- Delfino has huge differences between its various transformations (layout-wise), and gay ledges on the in-between hovering thingy. Messes up Wario, Falco, and Marth a lot.
- Frigate transforms also, but the differences are minor. Only one of the transformations gets people angry, for the lack of a right ledge.

- Don't get caught in the dozens of infinite and walkoff spots on Delfino?
- Well, don't be stupid enough and learn to DI so you don't get caught below ground level on the right side of Frigate, and don't get caught in the one wall that lasts for 10-15 seconds.

Delfino's pretty gay. Frigate has its problems, but I see it being a much better starter stage to try out. Siege has been suggested, so has PS2 and even Halberd. I think PS2 would be half bad, tbh.

And yeah, I'm doing all of these wonky rules just to settle different arguments and discussions on Smashboards. The only rule I really put in for myself was the 7 minute timer. :/ Just to clear things up.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
EDIT: Ferdi, I can make ya one. It's the same layout as my stick, but a little smaller. I'll bring the box sometime. You just hafta get the parts you want, and it'll treat you as well as (if not better than) a $100+ stick.
how much would that cost me, also yea bring the box sometime so i can see it and play on it cause that's big on me wanting to buy customs. and by me getting the parts i want you mean me ordering them online or something? or just me making preferences and you ordering them(like the sanwa buttons/square gate/button layout blast city/etc)

ferdi edit: and how good are you in relation to making it wireless and play on both ps3 360 as well as having a USB for PC use. OH and WII use. I know theres not a lot going on the wii but i remember koikaze has a wii arcade stick and i found one on amazon so i know they're possible. and by wii use i really meant for melee use so maybe GCN compatability

and i was looking through SRK and found a thread on new HORI sticks

this V3 for ps3 is beautiful

http://grokinfullness.com/tgs2009/DSC_0889.JPG

and in order VX(360), V3(PS3), HRAP5

http://grokinfullness.com/tgs2009/DSC_0906.JPG

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
how much would that cost me, also yea bring the box sometime so i can see it and play on it cause that's big on me wanting to buy customs. and by me getting the parts i want you mean me ordering them online or something? or just me making preferences and you ordering them(like the sanwa buttons/square gate/button lazyout blast city/etc)

ferdi edit: and how good are you in relation to making it wireless and play on both ps3 360 as well as having a USB for PC use. OH and WII use. I know theres not a lot going on the wii but i remember koikaze has a wii arcade stick and i found one on amazon so i know they're possible. and by wii use i really meant for melee use so maybe GCN compatability

and i was looking through SRK and found a thread on new HORI sticks

this V3 for ps3 is beautiful

http://grokinfullness.com/tgs2009/DSC_0889.JPG

and in order VX(360), V3(PS3), HRAP5

http://grokinfullness.com/tgs2009/DSC_0906.JPG
ferdi if u don't feel like ordering custom parts, amazon.com is still selling the street fighter 4 tournament edition sticks for 100$. Yeah you might have to hurry soon though.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighte..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263072447&sr=8-1

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
lol @ Frigate as a starter.

@Tony: lolwut? I didn't insult you, so why get so defensive? I'm not going to bother retaliating to your thoughts on you being as good as me, but again, I never said you're bad...

It was clear there was no attempt at advertising the tournament, which = lame. You always gotta get new people in.
And yes, I'm pretty sure everyone was sandbagging the entire day. I don't get why people complain about me sandbagging if they are going to do it just as much.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Double post

I would go to Tim's if I had a ride. Takers? Bloshi?

Just saying about the tourney, even if it was a sandbagfest, going all Tink was satisfying. I was getting REALLY bored of him though for some reason...Well, not really bored of Tink as much as bored as the characters I was playing against...meh.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Tony: Poor people suck. Be less poor. You're also cool and chill as always. Sonic is terrible. Learn to not SD as MK and play him > : 0 Yours was good when you played. ZSS is pretty legit though.

Refering to this? Let's see...I told him Sonic is terrible...fine so far...I said learn to not SD as MK because we were talking about that. Seems fine still...Then I said his was good and so is his ZSS.

Have you like become our dedicated troll now? Lately you've even expanded from me. Good ****!

edit: Maybe you were talking about the actual tourney part? If so, I might have been too supportive before due to making money. It wasn't run that poorly IMO; it was just not set up correctly. There should have been some form of spreading the word.

Underload

Lazy
Still completely missed the point. Didn't even answer my question, just called me a troll. What's up with that?

Well, gotta leave the coffee shop I'm at, sp no more iPod "trolling" for me. I'll leave you with this:

I'M THA TAXMAAAAAN

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I didn't watch your sets vs Tim or Ferdi. I know you didn't vs me and I didn't vs you. I kinda just assumed when you lost to Ferdi. I know he's smart, but you're definitely better. At least you gave me much more trouble. Good **** vs Timotim though.

Also, can somebody PLEASE clue me in to what UL is saying? At this point I'm honestly interested.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I figured out turtle first thing against Dave and he kinda stopped after that. And then Ferdi comes along months later, turtles everything, smashes me in my "lol whut" shock, and I lose. :p

He also knows I like to roll.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
The thing is...
Meno is about the same as me in skill. We really are about the same...
Ferdi was good, no doubt, but he really didn't pose as much of a threat as Meno or Tim to me. I mean our first set was 2-0 me, with the second being a 2 stock. Finals were 3-1 me. 1st match 2 stocked GaW. 2nd Match lost to his Marth (1 stock). 3rd game beat his Marth (one stock). 4th game 2 stocked his DK.

He isn't bad by any means, but he just isn't a brawl player. I can promise that Meno is better. This might be different if Ferdi actually cared about Brawl, but as it stands I know Meno is the bigger threat in Brawl.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Tony here

Last Saturday of every month. I think it's the 30th.

And I could go into detail about Delfino vs. Frigate, I already did with Meno. The conclusion was:

- Delfino gives some characters HUGE advantages, and very few have specific disadvantages.
- Frigate really doesn't give characters distinct advantages, although it gives significant disadvantages to about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cast because of their bad recoveries. Falco's the only high tier that's really affected by it, and he can **** characters over twice as bad on that edge with a CG-spike.

- Delfino has huge differences between its various transformations (layout-wise), and gay ledges on the in-between hovering thingy. Messes up Wario, Falco, and Marth a lot.
- Frigate transforms also, but the differences are minor. Only one of the transformations gets people angry, for the lack of a right ledge.

- Don't get caught in the dozens of infinite and walkoff spots on Delfino?
- Well, don't be stupid enough and learn to DI so you don't get caught below ground level on the right side of Frigate, and don't get caught in the one wall that lasts for 10-15 seconds.

Delfino's pretty gay. Frigate has its problems, but I see it being a much better starter stage to try out. Siege has been suggested, so has PS2 and even Halberd. I think PS2 would be half bad, tbh.

And yeah, I'm doing all of these wonky rules just to settle different arguments and discussions on Smashboards. The only rule I really put in for myself was the 7 minute timer. :/ Just to clear things up.
Okay, so, just to clear things up:

- Delfino gives some characters advantages, but no characters specific disadvantages
- Walk-offs are gay, but completely avoidable (parasol, jump around like a re-re, only position yourself on a decline so cgs don't work)
- Frigate Orpheon gives some characters impossibly strong advantages (falco CG into spike off an edge you can't grab, ROB's massive camping/gimp tactics, D3 CG into edgeguard off an edge you can't grab), AND huge disadvantages (tethers can't grab edges), as well as a flip transformation that sometimes doesn't make sense and can completely **** a lot of characters
- Delfino has a lot of forms, preventing some gay strategies from dominating the entire match

...How is FO more neutral, again?

Underload

Lazy
*sigh* If you wanna hate, at least hate everything, not just parts.

If it's so easy for you to avoid grabs / walk-offs and walls on Delfino, then why do you insinuate it's impossible to do the same on Frigate?

You were quick to mention advantages on Frigate, but omitted this:

Tim's Lost Post said:
- Delfino gives some characters impossible strong advantages (Falco insane camping tactics and potentiall CG kill on walk-offs, Dedede's unfathomably large advantages on multiple parts of the stage, easier kills for characters with throws that kill because of smaller side blast zones, stage fall-through glitches that occur at random, terrible ledges for Wario, Falco, and Marth (just to name some high tiers, there's a lot more), and water throughout to mess up Olimar's whole game and give ~1/2 of the cast an opportunity to do **** like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqA0adrFepc#t=4m04s) Do you want that breed of abuse in a starter stage?
And did you forget that the right ledge on form 1 moves up (and more importantly) down, totally getting rid of your potential situations 2/3 of the time?

Did you also forget that Frigate has different forms also, all of which (minus 1) have absolutely nothing "gay", according to smashers? True fact.

Since I don't like arguing, I'll finish by saying:

By your logic, it's impossible for characters to avoid "gay tactics" on Delfino, yet possible for them to do so on Frigate. Sounds fishy.

edit: Maybe I should just argue for PS2.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I should mention that the post you're referencing mentions that TONY posted it, not me.

I vote for halberd.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
The thing is...
Meno is about the same as me in skill. We really are about the same...
Ferdi was good, no doubt, but he really didn't pose as much of a threat as Meno or Tim to me. I mean our first set was 2-0 me, with the second being a 2 stock. Finals were 3-1 me. 1st match 2 stocked GaW. 2nd Match lost to his Marth (1 stock). 3rd game beat his Marth (one stock). 4th game 2 stocked his DK.

He isn't bad by any means, but he just isn't a brawl player. I can promise that Meno is better. This might be different if Ferdi actually cared about Brawl, but as it stands I know Meno is the bigger threat in Brawl.
its only because i didnt know toon link has an OHKO and i didnt know hes a good spammer. i quit playing brawl ages ago i would've been more careful in the marth matches if i knew, which again comes back into the fact that i just dont care enough about the game to learn whats going on

Lmfao just further proving what I said to be true...

Ferdi's good, but no one should be losing to him. Really, call Colorado one of the worst Brawl states in the country if you do it consistently.
lol no one should be losing to me? really? i read people like a book guy its not that hard especially when playing in basically 1/4 the speed of most 2D fighters out there

yeah well i've only played Ferdi in melee, and he ****ing ***** me in that game
now that doesnt count cause you're relatively new, tim beats me with his ganon a good number of times and not because i just **** up he knows how to space. if he played a gayer character im sure he'd beat me more

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I don't think there is anything wrong with the starters as is.
Don't rage over this.

edit to Ferdi's ninja: The thing is, I didn't camp you. Only focusing on your Marth, I played you differently. If I ever go against other Marths, I camp my *** off (see me vs Sinz in our MM). I was consistently approaching you. I by no means went easy on you, but I am saying that the way you play doesn't force me to play more by the Brawl metagame like playing Meno or Tim does.

But to what Peter said about you, no, he is wrong. Many players should and would lose to you. I just don't understand why Meno and Tim were two of them.

Top Bottom