• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
First tourney I ever went to, I got d-air spiked over and over and over in the water between two of those pillars on Delfino by (I think) Nite playing as Ness.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Another thing to Ferdi:
Tink doesn't have a OHKO on Marth >__>
That was just me exploiting your lack of Brawledge. <--My term. I think. I like it.

Besides, the were gimps. I hit you with Dsmash, you used your jump, I HIT YOU WITH MY BOOMERANG, then edge-hogged. Two hits followed by avoidable edge hog if use use your Side-B correctly.

Underload

Lazy
Everyone's an overstatement, whoops. I meant, like, our good-er players.

And Dylan, I love 5 starters, it's pretty much perfect. But, eh, that's boring, and Meno wants me to experiment. Blame him!

That, and Tony was the only one who replied to my question, he said he was alright with some experimentation. 1 to none :/

Underload

Lazy
@ The Melee peeps:

Jan. 30th, Starz Film Center behind the Tivoli, 900 Auraria Pkwy, Melee tourney. 5 dollar entry, 10 dollar venue. Or 10 dollar entry, 10 dollar venue if you want. Probably only singles, sadly.

Who's down?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I'm not against it lol
I'm just fine with things as they are. Actually I'm a little biased to keep things as they are because I want to start Tink. If we have **** like Orpheon, one of Tink's worst stages, as a neutral, I sure as hell don't want to start Tink.

Underload

Lazy
Strike it.

Yoshi's and PS1 are the main "anti-Meta" stages, from my experience and deductions. I've also heard Delfino's really good for MK, but I've never tested it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
But I need that strike to get other things out of the way, like YI or BF. PKM1 should never have been a neutral though lol
Lylat isn't either, but eh. I've always thought it should be BF, FD, and SV but I'm biased.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
lol Anything that doesn't help MK doesn't centralize. If MK gets Orpheon as a starter, there will be a very happy MK.

And yeah, MK is stupid good Delfino.

Underload

Lazy
God ****it Metaknight.

Without you, we could have a bajillion starters with no problem.

Without you, Snake would be the best in the game.

Without you, I would hate the Kirby franchise less.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes. And you can pretty much spam all you want in there.

There's a thread devoted entirely to spamming and upping your post count. You can even double post. :D:D:D:D:D

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Three is sad.
Five is good.
Seven is great.

The more stages we add to a starter list, the more even the first match is going to be. Seven works especially well since it removes any issues people have with Lylat and PS1, since it gives the option to strike both. We're gonna have to choose a seventh for that to happen, so basically all we're doing is deciding which stage will offer the largest amount of even first matches.

The stage strike system with seven options allows this stage to be a little bit more "out there", so there's gonna be a pool for us to choose from. Delfino works, Halberd works, Frigate even works. This is because, through stage striking, those stages usual CP aspects won't really come into play. No one is going to start a set against Diddy on Delfino - same principal that allows us to avoid a first match against Ice Climbers on FD.

So all this talk about "that stage gives too much of a disadvantage", or "that stage interferes to much in the first match to be a starter" is really moot. With stage striking, there is not a single match-up in the game that will end up on that seventh that won't be fair. (As long as that stage isn't completely wild, like say, Jungle Japes or something).

In the end, we just need to decide which of these is "neutral-er". According to the SBR, they suggest Halberd or Castle Siege.

Starter/Counter

Lylat Cruise (16-9-0)
Halberd (18-16-0)
Pokémon Stadium 1 (16-14-2)
Castle Siege (5-9-0)
Here's something I wanna ask, considering stage striking, name a single match-up in the game that will end up on an unfair stage with seven starters. I can name a few for five starters, and a ridiculous amount with three. That's the only reason I support seven starters, not because otherwise it's over centralizing, or because I want variety (lol terrible reason, but still nice), but because it's ultimately more fair.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I support 7 stages, btw.

I really shouldn't though, seeing as how I play Diddy, and fewer stages makes him **** harder.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm still kinda uncertain what the seventh stage should be though. Like, a lot of stages work, but there's gonna be a stage which is more preferable.

We're technically looking for the stage that is going to offer the largest amount of fair starting matches. I think Delfino is going to offer more than Frigate. Halberd and Castle Siege more than both I think.

We can't really go wrong with Frigate, but I'd prefer something less controversial. I think I still like Delfino best, and then maybe Halberd and Castle Siege.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Strike it.

Yoshi's and PS1 are the main "anti-Meta" stages, from my experience and deductions. I've also heard Delfino's really good for MK, but I've never tested it.
I beat Dojo on Delfino, it's not Z0MG AMAZING for MK, people just don't know how to handle sharking.

Delfino is better as a neutral than CS.

CS is NOT a ****ing neutral. Seriously, how could you argue that? Also, to add to its ***********, it is THE ABSOLUTELY MOST BORING STAGE TO PLAY AGAINST A D3 ON. In order to not get walked off due to his retardedly easy chaingrab, I must run away... and run away... and run away... and run away, for a good 45 seconds every 2 minutes. That's boring as hell.

Frigate is good minus the edge that doesn't have a ledge to grab onto (right side of the stage while it's in it's first transformation, for those of you who don't know what that stage is ;))

PS2 is not a neutral. It's so stupid that it doesn't even deserve to be a counterpick, but lo' and behold- it's legal for FF for some stupid reason. Oh well.

Halberd has an abnormally low ceiling for a neutral, but I'd prefer it over CS or PS2 (despite the nasty advantage it gives Snake).

Then again, after all is said and done, most matches will occur on Battlefield and Smashville anyway, so oh well.

So pumped to win FF ;)

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea what you're talking about zaj. Also you might as well call me by my real name on the forums. It's kinda weird having you call me that, tbqh.

I can't sleep. Relaxing is hard when your body can't decide between peaceful sleep and throwing up. It was definitely that 2 lbs. of salmon I ate today.

so the next smashfest, who wants to bring instruments?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'll say it again, the points being tossed around against some of the seven stages are moot. It does not matter that playing against Dedede is dumb on Castle Siege, or MK's sharking is effective on Delfino, or whatever.

THOSE MATCH-UPS WILL NEVER HAPPEN

NO ONE IS PLAYING DEDEDE ON CASTLE SIEGE IN THE FIRST MATCH

COLORADO DOESN'T EVEN HAVE DEDEDES

Stage striking with seven starters dilutes those CP aspects MASSIVELY. What we need to concern ourselves with is the matches that will happen. Will the walk-off matter in Peach versus G&W? Will the missing ledge matter in Wario versus Meta Knight? Basically, do these horrible CP traits matter, when they aren't even considered CP traits?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have no idea what you're talking about zaj. Also you might as well call me by my real name on the forums. It's kinda weird having you call me that, tbqh.
Sure thing Theodore.

I can't think of any more Teds off the top of my head.

Underload

Lazy
If CS is the worst stage to play D3 on, then Delfino's probably 2nd. >.>

But if we can't agree on one stage, then maybe I'll just run the boring old 5 stage ruleset.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
meno, they aren't necessarily moot. By giving a character a stage they will almost always win on as a starter, you give them an advantage in the form of them getting to more-or-less pick the starter, because character X has to eliminate that stage, on top of others.

At least Brawl doesn't have any stages that lag with 4 players on them.
Nope. Just has more stages that are outright banned than it does playables. Doesn't it have more banned stages than Melee has stages, period?

Don't go dissin' my FoD, son. D:<

I can't sleep. Relaxing is hard when your body can't decide between peaceful sleep and throwing up. It was definitely that 2 lbs. of salmon I ate today.

so the next smashfest, who wants to bring instruments?
Heyyyyyyy

We were like

Throw up buddies

Without realizing it!

---

I'll give better replies when I'm more alert. We should Melee/Barwl today, tho, cuz I didn't really get to after dinnar. =(

I think it was the soap water, Tim. At like... 2 AM after I finished getting rid of the last of that bitter stuff, I felt better. Startin' slow this morning, wif bread. No problems so far.

EDIT:

I vote Halberd. It's more neutral than the rest of the stages, and more entertaining, to boot.

Top Bottom