• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
If it was a sonic that three stocked someone, it was probably interim.

Or me, I do have the BEST sonic in the NATION

Edit: Do you hate people bringing up tiers because you're a tier *****?
Well if I remember the guy had blonde hair and he seemed like he was a person that was helping to run the tournament and he was a really friendly guy who gave us some tips and pointers. Also we don't llike tiers because of being justified as a bad player because we play some characters that are low tier. Yeah i play snake but I play him when I its going to be a tough match other than that i play lucas and DK alot and have fun with them so nothing pisses me off more when a person says I suck before we even play because I chose to play as Lucas. Seeing that persons face after he loses does feel awesome tho.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you, or the guy that made that slogan, really understands how tiers work.

People like low tier players. They're cooler to watch. Plus, a good chunk of CO players main low tier.

Edit: Yeah that's tony.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
I know how tiers work they are list of characters overall potential in relation to other characters but maining a character just because they have a more likely chance to win is unacceptable and I have seen it happen to players where they change characters because they got beat brutally by someone playing a high tier character. So I say why have tiers, what clear use do they have? They give the audience a chance to predict the outcome of the game but why do you need that? The name TR4Q stems from the annoyance of seeing a tournament with only Metaknights and of being underestimated before you play because you play a low tier character.

Ravin

Smash Lord
I don't think you, or the guy that made that slogan, really understands how tiers work.

People like low tier players. They're cooler to watch. Plus, a good chunk of CO players main low tier.

Edit: Yeah that's tony.
I do.

I agree with tiers to a point, once it crosses the "Its based on tounry results" I kinda ignore it.. Too early to say tounry results are the facts.

People think its the bible...

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
The sonic player's name is Tony. I am going to have to contact him so next time we head down we can have my friend play him cause we would all like to see how much we have improved. Also we probably should not go too far with the debate about tiers cause it would suck to make another tier war. So has the best members of CO ever gone to a really big tourney and if so how far did you place?

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Well if I remember the guy had blonde hair and he seemed like he was a person that was helping to run the tournament and he was a really friendly guy who gave us some tips and pointers. Also we don't llike tiers because of being justified as a bad player because we play some characters that are low tier. Yeah i play snake but I play him when I its going to be a tough match other than that i play lucas and DK alot and have fun with them so nothing pisses me off more when a person says I suck before we even play because I chose to play as Lucas. Seeing that persons face after he loses does feel awesome tho.
Hmmm, so you play Snake when the going's tough, but switch to Lucas and DK when you want to mess around. Why not just own with Lucas and DK regardless? I thought I remembered you said that you play Snake cause he's like your favorite character or something, not because

"Yeah i play snake but I play him when I its going to be a tough match".

When has someone serious ever say that you suck simply because you play a low tier character?

I know how tiers work they are list of characters overall potential in relation to other characters but maining a character just because they have a more likely chance to win is unacceptable and I have seen it happen to players where they change characters because they got beat brutally by someone playing a high tier character. So I say why have tiers, what clear use do they have? They give the audience a chance to predict the outcome of the game but why do you need that? The name TR4Q stems from the annoyance of seeing a tournament with only Metaknights and of being underestimated before you play because you play a low tier character.
Tiers is simply a measurement of how the metagame has evolved. But here's my hate on this post, this specific line,

"but maining a character just because they have a more likely chance to win is unacceptable."

Are you joking? What's so unacceptable about playing a good character? Maybe people have fun playing top tiers, is there something wrong with that? Maybe that person's downright competitive, and doing what they can to improve their chances of winning is a bad thing? And again you said that you're being underestimated by playing non top tiers. So what? Just prove them wrong by owning them. They won't underestimate people again.

And have you seen melee's tier list? It changes(barely lolz) as the metagame progresses, and it'll be the same for brawl. Here I'll put them up(they're formatted for Gfaqs and since im lazy im just going to color them instead of removing html tags):

<B>1st Tier</B>
Sheik
Falco, Fox
Marth
Mario
Zelda, Samus, Luigi
Peach
Dr. Mario
Ice Climbers, Ganondorf
Pikachu, Link
Captain Falcon, Young Link
Jigglypuff, Ness
Yoshi, Donkey Kong
Roy
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Pichu, Bowser
Mewtwo

<B>2nd Tier</B>
Sheik
Fox
Falco
Peach
Marth
Mario
Dr. Mario
Samus
Luigi
Ganondorf, Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers
Zelda, Ness, Link
Pikachu
Yoshi, Young Link
Roy, Donkey Kong
Mr. Game and Watch, Kirby, Bowser
Mewtwo
Pichu

<B>3rd Tier
<I>Top Tier</I><B>
Sheik
Fox
Falco
Marth
Peach

<I><B>Upper Tier</B></I>
Mario
Dr. Mario
Luigi
Samus
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

<I><B>Middle Tier</B></I>
Ice Climbers
Yoshi
Ness
Pikachu
Roy
Link
Young Link
Zelda
Donkey Kong

<I><B>Bottom Tier</B></I>
Mr. Game & Watch
Kirby
Mewtwo
Pichu
Bowser

<B>4th Tier
<I>Top Tier</I></B>
Sheik
Fox
Marth
Peach

<I><B>Upper Tier</B></I>
Falco
Samus
Mario/Dr. Mario
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Luigi

Pikachu
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Ness
Link/Young Link
Roy

<I><B>Lower Tier</B></I>
Donkey Kong
Mr. Game and Watch
Kirby

Mewtwo
Pichu
Bowser

<B>5th Tier
<I>Top Tier</I></B>
Sheik
Marth

<I><B>Upper Tier</B></I>
Fox
Peach
Falco

<I><B>High Tier</B></I>
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Mario
Dr. Mario
Jigglypuff
Luigi

Yoshi
Link
Roy
Pikachu
Young Link
Ice Climbers
Zelda

<I><B>Low Tier</B></I>
Ness
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Mewtwo

Mr. Game and Watch
Pichu
Bowser

<B>6th Tier
<I>Top Tier</I></B>
Sheik
Fox
Marth

<I><B>Upper Tier</B></I>
Falco
Peach
Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff

<I><B>High Tier</B></I>
Ganondorf
Mario
Dr. Mario
Luigi

Link
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Roy
Zelda
Young Link
Yoshi

<I><B>Lower Tier</B></I>
Ness
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Mewtwo

Bowser
Pichu

<B>7th Tier
<I>Top Tier</I></B>
Sheik
Fox
Marth

<I><B>Upper Tier</B></I>
Peach
Falco
Captain Falcon
Samus

<I><B>High Tier</B></I>
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Luigi
Link
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Zelda

<I><B>Low Tier</B></I>
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Bowser

Mewtwo
Pichu

<B>Current Tier
<I>Top Tier</I></B>
Fox
Falco

<I><B>High Tier</B></I>
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Dr. Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

<I><B>Low Tier</B></I>
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Yoshi,
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Finalized Tier
Fox 9.9
Marth 9.9
Sheik 9.7
Falco 9.2

High
Peach 8.4
Captain Falcon 8.0
Jigglypuff 8.0
Ice Climbers 7.9

Middle
Samus 6.8
Dr. Mario 6.2
Ganondorf 6.0
Luigi 5.8
Donkey Kong 5.4
Mario 5.3

Low
Link 4.7
Pikachu 4.3
Young Link 4.2
Roy 3.6
Zelda 3.0
Game and Watch 3.0

Bottom
Ness 2.5
Yoshi 2.5
Bowser 2.2
Mewtwo 1.8
Kirby 1.5
Pichu 1.2

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
The main reason I play snake when I think the match is going to be tough is because I have the most experience from day one I had played snake because I love explosions lol. I still have a ton of fun with him but I like to mix up and play DK and Lucas.Yes its unacceptable if you only play a character cause he is high tier. If you are playing a character that you don't like his moveset, think he is boring and generally dislike him then why are you playing him. When it comes down to it even if you lose the tournament but you had a fun time with the character you like to play as then its a pretty good day. Also you could have just posted that as a link instead of filling in a full screen.
Edit: I understand the point you are trying to make and when it comes down to it some people like tiers and some don't and you probably are not going change their minds so like I said before lets not have another tiers war that's reserved for another section and 100,000 pages.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Last tournament I held we just did pen and paper but I was checking around and was going to try Tio. What software do you use? Also the FFA is just best of 1 cause like you said it would be ******** to have anything longer.
Edit: Also Interim do you remember a team coming to CCC Ranbats over the summer and calling themselves Team Tiers R 4 Queers cause that was us.
Tio is pretty good, and I remember you guys. Didn't know you hailed from Junction. Also, the tournament WAS in the Springs.

lol it was fun but im looking for a sonic player who three stocked my friend when he played Ike and Marth because whenever my friend gets cocky we also use that moment as a beating stick to stomp on his ego lol.
I'm your huckleberry.

I'm pretty terrible at Brawl now, mainly because GG has made me play more rushdown than is advised in Brawl, and my perfect shielding talent is all but gone. D:

Still, I'll play and own him any day of the week. Sonic is tight as hell. :D!

I want to get in a quick word with the whole "tier" thing:

I see nothing wrong with tier-whoring. Ferdi does it, and I don't think any less of him. Yeah, I give him ****, and say he can't win with characters that aren't easy mode, but it's really just me messing with him. Ferdi is a solid player, and at the end of the day, he wins because he outplays us. Simple as that. If he wants to play a character with more options, power to him. I picked up a few side characters to use against scrubs so I don't have to think so much when playing people that suck anymore. One of them is D3. I really don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Also, even if you have more exp with Snake than the other two, you switch to him when the going gets rough because he's a better character. He gives you more bang for your buck, so-to-speak.

If you're going to play competitively, you have to throw away these concepts of "honour", "right", and "wrong". Do what makes the game most fun for you, but don't look down on people who do what makes the game most fun for them. Even if it's tier-whoring and playing to win.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
People will play who they play, regardless of the tier system. If they see people doing good with a character, they'll try, and find out if they do good with them, or they'll decide they don't want to. Tiers don't change that fact.

Also, tony = interim. Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

Oh, for brawl tourneys, the only one we've gone OOS for is AZ12step, and I got 7th there with Ness and Wario.

Side note: Ok, with Sam out, what do we want to do about driving to OK? I could get the suburban, but I'd love if we could do 2 cars with another fuel efficient one. Also, one less likely to break decorative walls.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Cool well I will definitely pm u interim when we go down to one of CCCT tournament and maybe next tournament we throw we can convince the college to hook us up and we make a Team and Singles tournament and you guys can head down.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty terrible at Brawl now, mainly because GG has made me play more rushdown than is advised in Brawl, and my perfect shielding talent is all but gone. D:
Aww Tony lost his Brawl technicals.....

Also, even if you have more exp with Snake than the other two, you switch to him when the going gets rough because he's a better character. He gives you more bang for your buck, so-to-speak.

If you're going to play competitively, you have to throw away these concepts of "honour", "right", and "wrong". Do what makes the game most fun for you, but don't look down on people who do what makes the game most fun for them. Even if it's tier-whoring and playing to win.
Switching to snake when it is a tough match because he is easier to win with is almost the definition of tier-whoring. Now it gets the job done, and when it really comes down to it you need to play for yourself, not anyone else.

kyoshiro1221

Smash Rookie
I wish i could go to OH SNAP... but my mom will never let me go out of state right now and i dont has the moneys

EDIT: oh and if sam doesn't go to fighter frenzy i might need a doubles team mate so yeah

Aww Tony lost his Brawl technicals.....

Switching to snake when it is a tough match because he is easier to win with is almost the definition of tier-whoring. Now it gets the job done, and when it really comes down to it you need to play for yourself, not anyone else.
wow your soooo ****ing gay you dont even know srsly people brawl has no technicals how can you get "bad" at a game with no technicals ? its just mindgames and you can only train them so much
srsly your only good becouse of mindgames play El_LoVo he will own with link

wait whats link on the tier list ??

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
NYAPPY BIRFDAYS Tonies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to play some melee or GG...but I dont have gg..

But tony, asnwer your phone! I could give you there Address and Phone numbers. But yea, they think Playing the game with techskills is stupid. like....its " its a joke" T.T And they ended up beating me. 3/4 of the time. T__T. BUT I DONT HAVE THE GAME ( JOHNS!)

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Heyo. New to the CO smash scene. I've been wanting to get into a tournament for awhile, but due to different restrictions (class, work, etc.) haven't been able to. Buuut, I thought I would look into it just to see if there's anything going on right now/soon.

*continues to read past pages*

EDIT: Oh, and I know of a store that's opening up around Nov. 15 across the street from Kennedy Golf Course (Two points of reference: Where Hampden turns into Havana, and right next to Centerfolds Show Club, pick your reference :) ) that's willing to host Smash tournaments, among other tournaments.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Stores are kind of a bad place to host tournaments mainly because it will be loud, hard to get the attention of everyone because there will be other people in the store and so many other things going on around you because of the store still having customers and other games going on.

Yes its unacceptable if you only play a character cause he is high tier.
No it's not. If someone wants to actually make money and not just play the game for kicks and giggles (like you), there is no reason they should have to stick to some ****ty low tier character that has practically no chance of winning, even if they hate Snake or Metaknight.

Ravin

Smash Lord
dammit now that i think about it l canceling might make sheik worse on the tier list :(
and ganon too good
Wait?

WHAT?

Ganon too good?

coming from the person who swore up and down Ganon sucks in brawl? And I proved you wrong?

I wanna hear it again.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
No it's not. If someone wants to actually make money and not just play the game for kicks and giggles (like you), there is no reason they should have to stick to some ****ty low tier character that has practically no chance of winning, even if they hate Snake or Metaknight.
So let me get this straight you play a character cause he can win but you hate to play him. SO you don't play this game for fun you play it to win money and be better than everyone else? Let me guess your the kind of person who if you lose a match you throw your controller at a wall and storm off cause you just played a character you hate, had no fun and wasted time. Ok you play the game your way and I will play my way cause I thought thats what the definition of game was.
Game- a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules,for their own amusement.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I think we were planning on giving the L-cancel and other such mods a try at the end of november, when things simmer down, if anyone is interested in messing around with them.

Edit: But if that's how he wants to play, lusiris, who are you to judge his decision? Really, just play how you want to play, and let others play how they want to play. That's why TR4Q is a stupid slogan, because it just means you want to meddle in things that aren't your concern.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
The thing is I'm not meddling in things that aren't my concern I don't like the word tiers and the things its associated with so I express my discomfort with it and thats TR4Q's. Now I'm not the one attacking anyone for liking tiers (its funny to say the slogan but if I actually hit someone with a controller I'm pretty sure he would kick my ***) but now I wasn't the one who said I was a TR4Q ***** now was I. So who seems to be the one meddling.

i fyou want to play for fun then might as well get off smashboards and never enter a tournament

and tiers will always be associated with this game and will never stop so might as well not play it either

Edit: i spelled as with to s's

ferdi edit: i dont mean to disrespect you you want to have fun i get it

Top Bottom