• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Well, the Denver scene doesn't feel like driving all the way to Yucky Junction for a tourney with strange rules, strange pot distro, and no teams. For people out in butt-****-nowhere-ville this seems like a fine tourney that I would encourage those people to attend.
Dude whats your problem with Grand Junction its a gorgeous town full of nice people that actually have fun outside, breathe clean air, have a giant supply of water, and can walk around outside without getting killed. What if I said that Denver is full of gangbangers, killers, and politicians who want nothing more than your money.Now that sounds ******** doesn't it basing stereotypes on the condition of a city but seriously be respectful. I don't insult denver or any other big city so don't bash on mine.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
It's the fact that you didn't take the time to write out your rules in a cohesive way as well as the fact that you're presenting yourself and your tournament horribly.

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
It's the fact that you didn't take the time to write out your rules in a cohesive way as well as the fact that you're presenting yourself and your tournament horribly.

He's presenting himself just fine. We're being pretty negative to the tournament.

But I agree with the tournament presentation. It's very hard to comprehend the rules, let alone the reason for such a complicated rule set, FFA, or anything.

We're too serious/professional to really be appealed to, I can understand that. But let's be more civil about it guys. We're ripping on a town here, and not just talking about a tournament.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
I took the time to write out to the best of my ability this is my second tournament I have ran and the tournament is like this to try out a different way that will speed up things and still provide a fun environment to everyone. I would do it like most other tournaments and have both singles and team. We just don't have 9 hours and 8 T.V.s we have only 5 hours and room for 3 T.V.'s Also if you have any experience in running tournaments and presenting I'm willing to take advice if you want you could PM me and I could try to explain whats going and you could give me tips. I'm trying to make a fun tournament that could run in the time allotted. Also anyone else can do the same cause if we get a big enough turnout and get some good players we can train and maybe head down over to one of CCCT and learn some things from you guys.

Ken just ♥s talking ****. He can prolly back it up most times, but more often than not, it's for funsies.

...I think.

I got cannonball combo'd by the stage, and it really was my own fault. I figured I'd be invincible for longer. D:

I still won. And hit you with dsmash.

WHICH REMINDS ME!

I KILLED WITH JIGGZ DSMASH! **** IS TOO GOOD!

Ravin, don't act like you're hard to grab. You're not.

EDIT:

Allow me to save Denver some time. For the Junction tournament, this is all you need to know:

Until that shapes up, we're a no-show. Especially if teams isn't going down.
yes, yes it is for the lulz

Everyone should go. I'm not going though.
WTF MINDGAMES !!!!!!! (he is going btw)
Well, if Ferdi's not going, that means I can win 1st place...
get mindgamed
That means I can move up to 4th!
wow get mindgamed he is just going to take your money
Dude whats your problem with Grand Junction its a gorgeous town full of nice people that actually have fun outside, breathe clean air, have a giant supply of water, and can walk around outside without getting killed. What if I said that Denver is full of gangbangers, killers, and politicians who want nothing more than your money.Now that sounds ******** doesn't it basing stereotypes on the condition of a city but seriously be respectful. I don't insult denver or any other big city so don't bash on mine.
no your pretty much right i almost got stabbed the other day
He's presenting himself just fine. We're being pretty negative to the tournament.

But I agree with the tournament presentation. It's very hard to comprehend the rules, let alone the reason for such a complicated rule set, FFA, or anything.

We're too serious/professional to really be appealed to, I can understand that. But let's be more civil about it guys. We're ripping on a town here, and not just talking about a tournament.
we have ripped on wayyyyyyy bigger things pretty much the country
ahh ken call me gay one more time
and ill show you trash talk
oh **** dont mess with this guy

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i don't know why i thought it was 400 miles its only 300 but still like a 4 hour drive and through those hellish mountains where it snow 7 out of 12 months and a avalanche happens once a month. Still thanks for the advice guys its way better to hear from the pros about the negatives of my tourney before a person comes to my attention about it in the tournament. So any tips are appreciated.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
It's an interesting idea, I'll give you that. I'm still a little fuzzy on how it works, do you choose to be in the FFA side or the 1v1 side, or what? And I realize I'm being lazy, but what day are you planning it on? We could maybe throw a carpool together if the date works and people aren't being lazy/cheap, which we usually are.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Hey Colorado, I'm a huge scrub but I'm looking to get better. Does anyone wanna Brawl over the weekend (or any other weekend for that matter)? I live in Fort Collins. If you live near, maybe we could arrange something? Drop me a message!

Yeah i don't know why i thought it was 400 miles its only 300 but still like a 4 hour drive and through those hellish mountains where it snow 7 out of 12 months and a avalanche happens once a month. Still thanks for the advice guys its way better to hear from the pros about the negatives of my tourney before a person comes to my attention about it in the tournament. So any tips are appreciated.
yeah i know well see its just that people dont like ffa and i get it that your just trying to cut the time but people would rather take the time to play all matches..... wait now that i think about it you said that even if you lose the ffa you can still be in the singles is this correct ????
It's an interesting idea, I'll give you that. I'm still a little fuzzy on how it works, do you choose to be in the FFA side or the 1v1 side, or what? And I realize I'm being lazy, but what day are you planning it on? We could maybe throw a carpool together if the date works and people aren't being lazy/cheap, which we usually are.
maybe, maybe

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
Hey Colorado, I'm a huge scrub but I'm looking to get better. Does anyone wanna Brawl over the weekend (or any other weekend for that matter)? I live in Fort Collins. If you live near, maybe we could arrange something? Drop me a message!
ZOMG YES I'm not the freshest noob anymore!! and I only went to 2 tournies :(

Not many people play bralw consistently around here, but its still a good game to get better in general. 'specially mindgamez.

welcome dude.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Yep if you lose the FFA you go on to a single 1vs.1 where its the usual 3 stock and Standard SBR rules for Singles except its single elimination if over 40 contestants if less than that then its double elimination.

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
yep If You Lose The Ffa You Go On To A Single 1vs.1 Where Its The Usual 3 Stock And Standard Sbr Rules For Singles Except Its Single Elimination. I Might Change The Single Elimination To Double Elimination Depending On The Tournament Turnout.
I"m Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Connnnnnnnnfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd. what if u win then...

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Oh man finally another Fort Collins player. When during the weekend are you free? I ussually work fri and sat nights.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Oh man finally another Fort Collins player. When during the weekend are you free? I ussually work fri and sat nights.
I'm usually always free. You can give me any time you want, and I'll see if I can make it (which I most likely will be able to XD).

BTW, I can't drive myself anywhere.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Oh, there might be the smash tourney at Gamestop on that Saturday...dunno, whatever happened to that, izzy?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I have no idea what's going on with that. Greg hasn't contacted me yet. =/

I understand your sentiment but know were making pretty much nothing on the tournament so were not trying to steal money from you guys. The cost of reserving the room for that many people and the cost of flyers was over $200 and I understand if you don't want to drive 400 miles for a 40 person tournament. Thats the main reason were throwing this one so we don't have to drive 400 miles cause if we really wanted to go to a professional tournament we would of just gone to one of CCCT (We have once before and it was a blast it just ended up draining our wallets.) So if any player is looking for a fun Brawl tournament and is in the area of Grand Junction at the time head over.
Okay, here are some tips:

1) Never use a venue that can't hold more than 3 set-ups.

2) Never pay $200 for said venue. If you're paying, it should be a convenient location with lots of space and nearby food. This is why I've been getting on DFG for hosting our RanBats at crappy-*** GameSwirl. Worst-case scenario, $200 could rent you like... 6 motel rooms to run out of for a day, or 3 for two days.

3) Never ever EVER take money out of player pots. If you need money to sponsor your events, charge a "Venue Fee". It's even better if you can show them what all it is going to.

4) Try not to hold events at game stores. They're just looking to take your money, and are VERY rarely good for high-quality tournaments.

5) Explain the ruleset as clearly as possible. Key points are whether something is single or double elimination, round robin, if there will be pools or not, how many days the even takes, estimated winnings, estimated attendance, esteemed players attending, bonus prizes (sponsorship, etc), and what characters/stages/techniques/tactics are banned or limited.

Now, it seems to me like your tournament is an FFA tournament with a 1v1 loser's bracket, right? You should probably bill it as such. Also, let us know how many people from each FFA will make it out. Is it best 2/3 for 1v1? Time? Stock? Items?

There's a few things you can start with. Get your stuff organized, and I'm sure we can find a time to run over to Junction and play with you guys.

Don't take our bashing of GJ to heart. We've insulted practically the whole country, like Ken said. It's just how we are.

If you're actually expecting 40+ people, $5 should cover your venue fee. Get rid of the crappy gift cards, and just promise people percentages of the pot. Seriously, no one wants "money" that they have to give back to the store. It's lame.

What if I said that Denver is full of gangbangers, killers, and politicians who want nothing more than your money
Two things to this:

First off, you'd be getting into the Colorado mindset. We're all about the trash talk, especially when it pertains to other regions of Colorado. Ask Durango about Denver sometime. It's great.

Second, you would be half right. We have a bunch of wanna-be gangbangers, killers, and politicians. But most of them suck at their jobs, so you can't consider them the real deal. D:

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
Two things to this:

First off, you'd be getting into the Colorado mindset. We're all about the trash talk, especially when it pertains to other regions of Colorado. Ask Durango about Denver sometime. It's great.

Second, you would be half right. We have a bunch of wanna-be gangbangers, killers, and politicians. But most of them suck at their jobs, so you can't consider them the real deal. D:

YEA COLORADO SUUUCKS!
Wait...

Off topic: I found these GGXXAC players. They think there badass, of course. I WILL SEE. If I do win, PFFT. They are a joke, cause I suck anyways D:

Baiken?
Orrr Souuul BAddddDude?

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
In reply to Interim:
1. What kind of places does CCCT usually run there tournaments at? We tried our college but they are being major *** holes so thats why it came down to this place.
2.If only $200 could get 6 motel rooms the cheapest one we have here runs $60 a night but I totally understand your sentiment.
3.Venue Fee, I like that and I could just make a sign detailing where the costs go so no one could ***** cool.
4.Yeah the first tournament I held was at a gamestore and it was pretty bad especially since we had no room and it was extremely loud and hard to speak to everyone.
5.Ok losers bracket 1vs.1's sounds pretty good and I will clearly state SBR rules for the singles and its 2/3

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
YEA COLORADO SUUUCKS!
Wait...

Off topic: I found these GGXXAC players. They think there badass, of course. I WILL SEE. If I do win, PFFT. They are a joke, cause I suck anyways D:

Baiken?
Orrr Souuul BAddddDude?
Soooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllar Flareman

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
YEA COLORADO SUUUCKS!
Wait...

Baiken?
Orrr Souuul BAddddDude?
Where are they? I wanna play as many people as I can. Baiken is better if you're better, Sol is easier to play on low levels, since that upper beats everything.

Hey guys whats going down. And i hate being sick.... **** THE FLU.
Get better, and come play with us.

In reply to Interim:
1. What kind of places does CCCT usually run there tournaments at? We tried our college but they are being major *** holes so thats why it came down to this place.
2.If only $200 could get 6 motel rooms the cheapest one we have here runs $60 a night but I totally understand your sentiment.
3.Venue Fee, I like that and I could just make a sign detailing where the costs go so no one could ***** cool.
4.Yeah the first tournament I held was at a gamestore and it was pretty bad especially since we had no room and it was extremely loud and hard to speak to everyone.
5.Ok losers bracket 1vs.1's sounds pretty good and I will clearly state SBR rules for the singles and its 2/3
1. Well, you already know about the Tivoli (the college area). You could check around at other colleges, or you could ask your local hotels about conference rooms and how much it costs to rent one for a day or two. House tournaments are fine, as long as you don't have too many people/trust everyone that shows up.

2. Look for your local Lazy 8, Motel 6, anything really low-class as far as motels. I'm sure you can find something under 60. You could still rent 3 rooms for 180, which should be enough.

3. Or you could just keep it recorded, and show it to anyone that asks. No need to detail to those that don't care, since they'll try and say things like "Well, I don't want to pay for this part of it, so can I get a venue discout?"

4. Yep. That's how all game store tournaments in CO go down. D:

5. So, FFA is winner's, and 1v1 is loser's? I'm assuming the FFA is best of 1, because otherwise it would take ******** long in most cases.

Also, if you have a teams+singles tournament ever, ALWAYS run teams first, or people ditch out. Collect all the money for all of the events simultaneously, with a no-refund policy. Also, what tournament software do you use?

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Last tournament I held we just did pen and paper but I was checking around and was going to try Tio. What software do you use? Also the FFA is just best of 1 cause like you said it would be ******** to have anything longer.
Edit: Also Interim do you remember a team coming to CCC Ranbats over the summer and calling themselves Team Tiers R 4 Queers cause that was us.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
So, to add on to everything I was pulled over by the cops last night with my friends.

Fortunately I didn't get a ticket, but just wow my luck =/

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
So, to add on to everything I was pulled over by the cops last night with my friends.

Fortunately I didn't get a ticket, but just wow my luck =/
No ticket + you're male = **** *****, YOU ONE LUCKY MOTHA ****A! Seriously, when I get pulled over it always equals ticket.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
Ya well, my best friend got a ticket for possession and my other friend who was driving got a weed dui, however, we were all drinking so the cops could easily have also ticketed me and my friend for underage drinking as well as giving my driver friend a dui under both weed and alcohol not to mention he was driving his girlfriends car who luckily was in the passenger seat. Mouthful, but thankfully the cops weren't pricks.

Last tournament I held we just did pen and paper but I was checking around and was going to try Tio. What software do you use? Also the FFA is just best of 1 cause like you said it would be ******** to have anything longer.
Edit: Also Interim do you remember a team coming to CCC Ranbats over the summer and calling themselves Team Tiers R 4 Queers cause that was us.
Are you the snake player who used the ps2 controller?

hey you can just be cool like Darkrain and get a super nice venue like 20 times nicer than the Tivoli and only charge 5 $ venue fee

it was huge had nice marble floors and stairs and well you can just look at the

pics

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Are you the snake player who used the ps2 controller?
Nah I was one of the TTR4Q member we wore Black T-shirts with our characters logos on the name and yelled at anyone who used the word tier. I only beat like 4 people in the singles before versing one of my team mates and losing in a close and then versing a really good wolf and getiing my but beat. lol it was fun but im looking for a sonic player who three stocked my friend when he played Ike and Marth because whenever my friend gets cocky we also use that moment as a beating stick to stomp on his ego lol. He plays pikachu now so you definetly taught him.

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
Nah I was one of the TTR4Q member we wore Black T-shirts with our characters logos on the name and yelled at anyone who used the word tier. I only beat like 4 people in the singles before versing one of my team mates and losing in a close and then versing a really good wolf and getiing my but beat. lol it was fun but im looking for a sonic player who three stocked my friend when he played Ike and Marth because whenever my friend gets cocky we also use that moment as a beating stick to stomp on his ego lol. He plays pikachu now so you definetly taught him.
I remember your silly TR4Q crew. And the Sonic was probably Zeal's.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Lol even I remember you guys. You had a song...or...something. Dance?

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Lol even I remember you guys. You had a song...or...something. Dance?
Yeah we did King DeDeDe's big gay dance(his final smash dance) to say our good byes it was awesome lol

Also I wonder if CCCT will have a tournament around March 27 to the 29th but its probably to early to guess if they are.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
If it was a sonic that three stocked someone, it was probably interim.

Or me, I do have the BEST sonic in the NATION

Edit: Do you hate people bringing up tiers because you're a tier *****?

Top Bottom