• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
This is pretty **** prideful here Ferdi. How many tournaments have you hosted? How can you do a better job? Please explain.

I'm gonna defend Tony here. Seriously, Tony puts a lot of work into the tournaments and then sometimes they get hijacked and the rest of the time they get screwed over, and it's only partially his fault that things turn out this way. Look at DFG's success rate with his smash tournaments, tell me how many have been perfect.

Also, when Tony says, "I'm looking for staff", it's pretty obvious that it's an open invitation. He may not be directly asking you, but you have the ability to say "I would like to help."

I honestly doubt you can do better at a C3 event unless you and/or some of your staff do not participate and put your full effort into running it .
EXACTLY, why not put our efforts into running our own tourneys? Not only that but I've run some tourneys, they may be online but they're tourneys no less(note that I did not participate in it, just ran it and set up brackets/rules/where to meet and awarded medals for winners). I already noted on that open invitation thing, I ****ing addressed this in the sentence right after it, that it was partly my fault by not volunteering.

I think what we need to do is run some event w/o Greg this month or maybe next, see how it goes.

I already mentioned the deal I can get on the rooms at my work. I will need to know in advance though, and also be warned that we dcant override any other meeting scheduled in these rooms.
This. Not only that but I'll look at them thrift stores for cheap TVs, cables, etc.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
He sold his 360 to me over 4-5 months ago.

*edit*
I've hosted online ones too.............big deal. We should keep Tony since he has experience in real tournaments, and if you want to host one yourself, do so. We'd support it.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Sorry Sam, sold that to Clark a while back.

Next, when were you guys thinking of doing this self run tourney, September / October seems open to me. I was thinking at least for the first one not trying to bring out of staters but I would be up for it if you guys wanted to.

I need to know so I can talk to the Sales lady at my work, I would like to give her a relatively accurate estimate of how many people we are going to have show up cause im not going to get a room for a 100 people then have 10 show up.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
I'll be on wifi for a bit if you care to join me. If nobody is on in 40 minutes, I'm playing Halo.

*edit*
I played halo

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
You've never asked me, whenever I hear you talk about it its always "oh yeah, well I'm just thinking about who to get as my staff". Maybe if you actually asked me personally about it I'd be able to, hell a simple PM would've sufficed.
I have asked you before. About 2 months ago, when I was going for my initial batch of people. I wanted it to be Heibrahi and either you/Rafa/or Tim. Tim declined, unless everyone else bailed, someone suggested to not ask Rafa, and so I didn't, and you straight out said that you didn't want to. It was in Tim's basement, if you don't recall.

I guess this is partly my fault considering I don't go forward and offer to run the tourneys and instead let you guys decide what happens. Now what I'm wondering is why you mention this now, instead of a long time ago? Why didn't you tell us we should ***** to greg about venue fees? Why didn't you tell us not only does Lance screw us over and takes a ton of money?
I figured *****ing to the guy who runs C3, you know, the guy ABOVE me that sets all the prices, might be common sense. Just maybe.

And I've talked about Lance so many times it's not even funny. Ask Heibrahi. Ask Steve. Ask anyone who has paid attention, even halfway, to how things go when we deal with C3.

Now, I'm completely behind our Smash (and possibly Guilty Gear) scene being able to operate large-scale tournaments without using C3 as a crutch. I would be more than willing to chip in some money for a community fund that would go towards getting us TVs, VCRs, and capture cards/venues/whatever. I'd be more than willing to try out different staff for different events. As is, just talking to Greg made it so that FF is only $10 venue, and $10 for tournament. NVGA SuperCon/C3T will be $15 venue, and game dependant for pot.

People need to voice their concerns when they have them, not get super pissed over a period of time, and just take it out on people that don't deserve it (Nite or Steve, they've both busted their ***** at different times). Also, they need to talk to Greg. Don and I have talked to him numerous times, but until he sees that he is losing the key demographic, he won't really budge.

If we really want to do this, though, we need to start thinking about how we can go about it. And I would suggest we not completely ditch C3T, because we may be able to craft it into what we want/DFG is going to have the events with or without us. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see some large scale non-C3T events, mind you. We need hype, we need drama, we need a reason to keep playing these games aside from habits and (for some of us, I would gather) wanting to just take people's money. Our scene is hella strong, but we haven't done anything for Brawl, SSBM, OR GG in a LOOOOONG time. We need to start doing **** to change that.

Which brings me to something I've been thinking about for a while, and actually briefly discussed with Tim somewhat recently:

I'm considering moving out next semester, whether it's necessary or not. I could keep living here for free, and do whatever I want with the money I get, but I'd really like to start doing stuff on my own. This got me thinking to the first time I left living with my family, and the environment.

Of course, anyone who is even semi-vet to our smash scene knows what I'm talking about:

Nite and Chaps.

People could come over at any given time and play GOOD competition. Midnight on a Tuesday? Who cares! Come over to Tower and Mexico, and remember to BYOC.

New player?

We'll drive out to meet you and play you.

We NEED something like this if we're going to see the growth we did for Melee. Because of this, I would REALLY like to rent a house or something with some people from our community, and have it open to everyone else. I know it seems a bit overboard, but if we can really establish a place for constant play and improvement, I think Colorado could really become something special again.

Let's not kid ourselves. Right now, we're **** at SSBM and Brawl. Yeah, we have one or two players that can do decent against good competition, but the second we hit someone on DSF's level, or even Dai-A's (don't get me wrong, cool kid, good player, but we shouldn't have lost in Melee, seriously), we fall to pieces. Our GG scene isn't looking too hot, either.

I would really really REALLY like to get a community place of sorts. Obviously, we'd have to have at least 4 dedicated and reliable individuals, and we all do have lives outside of video games (lulz, jk), but if we can establish something like this... Well, I think the results would speak for themselves.

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
He lives with me.

Wth, if I owned the games you guys are talking about, I would gladly help out. But since I dont have the games , its kinda pointless.. :/ Sorry guys.

HOLY CRAP! MIKE! Happy b-lated b-day boi! I didnt know, you can come to the strip club with me now! Bring Ferdi, I think he needs it. LOL.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
And I've talked about Lance so many times it's not even funny. Ask Heibrahi. Ask Steve. Ask anyone who has paid attention, even halfway, to how things go when we deal with C3.

If we really want to do this, though, we need to start thinking about how we can go about it. And I would suggest we not completely ditch C3T, because we may be able to craft it into what we want/DFG is going to have the events with or without us. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see some large scale non-C3T events, mind you. We need hype, we need drama, we need a reason to keep playing these games aside from habits and (for some of us, I would gather) wanting to just take people's money. Our scene is hella strong, but we haven't done anything for Brawl, SSBM, OR GG in a LOOOOONG time. We need to start doing **** to change that.
I dont think we need to ditch C3 at all, I love hanging out with Greg and hes a good guy however its clear we have some issues with the tourneys he runs. From venue fees / whos running brackets / location, I think we should still attend his **** but also try to set up something of our own.

I talked to the Sales Rep at my work today and she mentioned that the schedule is relatively open for about 2-3 weeks from now if you guys wanted to try to do something then. I would need approximate numbers on attendance tho, so I can choose a decent sized room / book anything else we need. I also need to go into work before said event and set the whole thing up (tables / power strips / projector if we want).

Tony im also looking for a new place to live come this October, and I would be ok with a house like that. Let me know.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
Well, honestly I would be completely down with rooming if it could be somewhat close to where I live right now. I do know of a lot of nice and yes cheap places up here that are for rent and such, but I am going to school and need to maintain my job otherwise I can't even think about doing such a thing.

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
o_O Are talking about finding roomates and then using that new place we got as a local tourney spot?

I live on E. Colfax too.. <.< Near Saterdays Strip club.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Well, I would like to keep living downtown near where I am now, I think the Cap Hill / Congress Park areas are some of the best in Denver. At the very least I need a place where I can get to work on the bus / Light Rail without too much trouble.

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
Well, I would like to keep living downtown near where I am now, I think the Cap Hill / Congress Park areas are some of the best in Denver. At the very least I need a place where I can get to work on the bus / Light Rail without too much trouble.
Awesome! I'm looking for a place around that area too. Though I don't need to move just yet, but if you ever need a roommate , let me know.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
The pic in your signature has just removed you from the acceptable roomies list lol.

On a more serious note, this place would have to be a house, so we could be loud and obnoxious at all hours, and the people living there would have to be ok with it being a flop house. Anyone not ok with that going in isnt going to be able to take it after a little while.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Alright, if we're serious about doing this, then there are a few things:

I'd like it to be between Metro and CCA, if we get it before next semester. This is so that I can go to whichever one with relative ease next semester. This would probably be a downtown/ish location, similar to mine or Tim/Steve's place.

We'd need people that we can be POSITIVE will pay. That means that, before we even consider getting one, everyone has to have a job that would be able to cover at least 1/4th the rent. I am aiming for a 4 bedroom place, or something very close to it.

This includes myself, of course.

Whoever moves in has to be cool with it being a place that will be open at all hours, as Steve stated before.

Whoever moves in has to get along at least neutrally with everyone else (obviously). Also, even though it will be an all hours place, we have to respect each other and give each other breathing room. Despite the fact that this is to further the community, we have to recognize each other as individuals. Also, most of us are students, so we have to recognize the need for breathing room and not force each other's company on one another. This is probably more for my benefit than anyone else's, because every once and a while, I become almost hermit-ish, and like time alone. This isn't to say that I won't want anyone at the house: Everyone is still more than welcome to come. Just don't expect me to play when I'm studying for finals, or roomie #2 to do it right after a 12 hour shift, or whatever.

Whoever is interested, start posting here, or shooting me an e-mail at mana.master.genis.sage@gmail.com. I'll start looking over everything, and try to figure out what would work best. Ultimate goal is to have 4 strapping young men by January, possibly earlier.

Oh, if we can get something right next to light rail/bus station, that would be *****in'. Then no one would have an excuse for not showing up.

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
Haha..I would luagh harder if it was funny.

Lol jk

So yea...let me know. My name is Roman if your wondering.

I might be able to do it around feb,march. I'm looking for a student loan to pay for college and living expenses, aswell I get that " i dont live with my Mommy check" ( ty nite)intill I finish school. High school only I think.I'll see if I can get that intill I'm done with college as well....... that one check should be able to cover my rent. its like 500.00..but I'm saving up now, plus I can get a job too.

money money!

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Ahh if only I also got checks from peoples to cover my rent lol.

On a separate note, does anyone want to do anything Sunday night / Monday? Its labor day so some of you might have it off, I would like to play some more smash / GG with you kids again.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Haha..I would luagh harder if it was funny.

Lol jk

So yea...let me know. My name is Roman if your wondering.

I might be able to do it around feb,march. I'm looking for a student loan to pay for college and living expenses, aswell I get that " i dont live with my Mommy check" ( ty nite)intill I finish school. High school only I think.I'll see if I can get that intill I'm done with college as well....... that one check should be able to cover my rent. its like 500.00..but I'm saving up now, plus I can get a job too.

money money!
Roman, did you change your account? Or is this a diff Roman?

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
Honestly i'm down for either next semester or summer semester ((figuring it out during the break in between)) as long as it's not TOO far from Front Range, i mean i can always take the bus instead of driving but i'll need it to not be like 30 minutes drive or something from Front Range, but anyways I am definately interested and even though I used to be good at life and stuff, I think i'm pretty chill with everyone in the community.

Ravin

Smash Lord
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

calisucks
xD I believe it.

SO basically, my friend Slan, Blue, and Pink got disqualified.

Slayn got disqualified because they said his name wrong, so he didn't hear them.

Then pink got disqualified because he didn't hear his name being called.

Then blue got disqualified because they confused if he was in the winning or losing bracket, they guy he had beat said blue had lost, so then when blue got called for the losers bracket, he complained, they disqualified him and gave him a 10 dollar gift card as a "sorry."

Lol, I dont think im going to Cali anytime soon.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I have asked you before. About 2 months ago, when I was going for my initial batch of people. I wanted it to be Heibrahi and either you/Rafa/or Tim. Tim declined, unless everyone else bailed, someone suggested to not ask Rafa, and so I didn't, and you straight out said that you didn't want to. It was in Tim's basement, if you don't recall.

I figured *****ing to the guy who runs C3, you know, the guy ABOVE me that sets all the prices, might be common sense. Just maybe.

Now, I'm completely behind our Smash (and possibly Guilty Gear) scene being able to operate large-scale tournaments without using C3 as a crutch. I would be more than willing to chip in some money for a community fund that would go towards getting us TVs, VCRs, and capture cards/venues/whatever. I'd be more than willing to try out different staff for different events. As is, just talking to Greg made it so that FF is only $10 venue, and $10 for tournament. NVGA SuperCon/C3T will be $15 venue, and game dependant for pot.

People need to voice their concerns when they have them, not get super pissed over a period of time, and just take it out on people that don't deserve it (Nite or Steve, they've both busted their ***** at different times). Also, they need to talk to Greg. Don and I have talked to him numerous times, but until he sees that he is losing the key demographic, he won't really budge.

Which brings me to something I've been thinking about for a while, and actually briefly discussed with Tim somewhat recently:

I'm considering moving out next semester, whether it's necessary or not. I could keep living here for free, and do whatever I want with the money I get, but I'd really like to start doing stuff on my own. This got me thinking to the first time I left living with my family, and the environment.

Of course, anyone who is even semi-vet to our smash scene knows what I'm talking about:

Nite and Chaps.

People could come over at any given time and play GOOD competition. Midnight on a Tuesday? Who cares! Come over to Tower and Mexico, and remember to BYOC.

New player?

We'll drive out to meet you and play you.

We NEED something like this if we're going to see the growth we did for Melee. Because of this, I would REALLY like to rent a house or something with some people from our community, and have it open to everyone else. I know it seems a bit overboard, but if we can really establish a place for constant play and improvement, I think Colorado could really become something special again.

Let's not kid ourselves. Right now, we're **** at SSBM and Brawl. Yeah, we have one or two players that can do decent against good competition, but the second we hit someone on DSF's level, or even Dai-A's (don't get me wrong, cool kid, good player, but we shouldn't have lost in Melee, seriously), we fall to pieces. Our GG scene isn't looking too hot, either.

I would really really REALLY like to get a community place of sorts. Obviously, we'd have to have at least 4 dedicated and reliable individuals, and we all do have lives outside of video games (lulz, jk), but if we can establish something like this... Well, I think the results would speak for themselves.
I really like this idea. Because I really want to get into the scene more but a big problem for me is that smash fests and stuff often occur when I have work or something. If there was an established place I could just come to hang out after school or even late nights I would probably be able to do stuff more often.

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
So when will the next smashfest be? Also, that one guy I always bring with me, he will also be sharing this account. His name is Vincent.

Top Bottom