• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I'm just trying to figure out what's turned Ferrish into a puffer fish. :applejack:
You're a mod. You have a red tag and the word "Moderator" underneath your name. Is it so unreasonable for someone to believe that you speak from a position of authority? Is it so unreasonable for someone to believe that you have some sort of jurisdiction over this thread? Is it so unreasonable for someone to believe that, by saying, "No" to Steam's post, you were expressing some sort of official SWF disapproval of SPLAT? Is it so unreasonable for someone to be, say, behind on or new to this thread or SWF and not want to read who knows how many pages of this thread trying to track down some possible alternative meaning behind the "No?"

You are in a (perceived) position of authority. Take more responsibility for what you post. And it certainly wouldn't hurt to stop acting so ****ing condescending.

(Honestly, maybe I was overreacting. But nothing pisses me off more than people who can't take responsibility for their own actions, especially condescending people or people in authority.
In fact, that's exactly why Mikezor pisses me off so much: he tells other people that I am a horrible person/abusive boyfriend/terrible at Melee/etc. then condescendingly tries to justify his actions with "trolling lol." Not to mention all his backhanded comments about his "friends" that he flat-out blames me for.
)

Also, before this becomes the norm, I much prefer "Ferrish" or "Fish" over "Fishy." I'll give you three guesses why, but you'll only need one.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
A simple "what do you mean ""no" would have sufficed dude. ._.

Being a mod doesn't mean your not allowed to crack a joke here or there and that sure as hell doesn't make ya unfit to be a mod. Its a way of humanizing the man that enforces the rules. I understand how it could be easy to misunderstand espy if ya don't know his position as a mod, or his personality. But pleeeeease don't jump the gun like that and be so passive aggressive about it. This whole thing could've been solved without eating up 3 pages of thread if we didn't jump to conclusions.

And can I keep calling you fishy? it sounds like, 10 times cuter~! <3 Either that or Mr.fish.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
@Sunny "Mr. Fish" works, but I don't know why you'd want to bother with the "Mr." Although since I've changed my gamertag to "Lazyfish," I suppose "Lazy" would work as well. It certainly describes my work ethic about changing my account name.

@Zaj Hint: "Fishy" sounds kinda ... con__________.
Answer: condescending. A little bit.

@Espy Yeah, I'm sorry for overreacting like I did. Friends forever? :applejack:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Mr fish just feels more catchy (not a pun I swear.)
Besides, I wouldn't know what to call fishbait then.

@espy: I don't get any espy? <333~s :<

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Also it's really weird seeing another guy being called Fish.
Same to you. "Fish" is my legal name, so people have been calling me that forever. How about people just call me "Ferrish" and make life simpler for everyone?

"Mr. Fish" just sounds so oddly formal. I haven't been called that since my first employer went out of business almost 4 years ago (no fault of my own, I swear). My grandpa insists on calling me "Dr.," but I think he's just trying to push me into getting my doctorate.
I am also known as "Chevalier Baron Sir Ferrishable Thesaurus Fishalot" fore ye off the Olde Englishe bent, and fore ye educated inn titles off nobility, my property is Ye Olde Clowne Tavern and mine goode deeds inclewde serving drinkes on the house whilst wareing red wiggs and overlarge shews.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
some random posts from out of staters
I lol'd

Well I check both places often, so I can repost crap from one to the other.
Thanks Detta :D

Well, good that everything's cleared up now. :) I'm glad this has brought some people back here and I hope it can stay that way.

If anyone doesn't understand why people refuse to get facebook in general, I can explain it some. If not, just skip. :p

[collapse=Why no facebook]Facebook is a social tool used to connect with people, and just about everyone uses it. But there are serious issues with privacy and tracking that have come up time and again with Facebook. Generally speaking, it tracks what sites you visit even when you're not logged in to it and it is probably going to start using your personal information for ads that target you (Think Minority Report style- anyone with an fb can check this in their Account > Facebook Ads section and I can post pics). Some people are unsettled by this and would rather keep their information to themselves.

I know that privacy was the reason I initially shunned it, but I gave in in order to help someone out with likes. I don't really mind that my information is being tracked as much now, but it is a legitimate concern. And as long as Facebook still delivers, they will be able to breach more and more privacy in the future (Such as forced location tracking similar to what Google does in searches). It's pretty sad, so I can completely see and agree with people who refuse to use facebook. There are other reasons than this, but this is the main one that I can see.
[/collapse]

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yes, I am serious, but it was a one time thing. A friend was opening up a business and wanted to get more likes in order to help it spread to potential customers (it's a food place) and what you like shows up on your Wall, so it made sense.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If it's likes for a business, then it's a justified thing to do. There was something similar to that for San Antonio when we set up a tournament for a local restaurant. :applejack:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
[collapse=Why no facebook]Facebook is a social tool used to connect with people, and just about everyone uses it. But there are serious issues with privacy and tracking that have come up time and again with Facebook. Generally speaking, it tracks what sites you visit even when you're not logged in to it and it is probably going to start using your personal information for ads that target you (Think Minority Report style- anyone with an fb can check this in their Account > Facebook Ads section and I can post pics). Some people are unsettled by this and would rather keep their information to themselves.

I know that privacy was the reason I initially shunned it, but I gave in in order to help someone out with likes. I don't really mind that my information is being tracked as much now, but it is a legitimate concern. And as long as Facebook still delivers, they will be able to breach more and more privacy in the future (Such as forced location tracking similar to what Google does in searches). It's pretty sad, so I can completely see and agree with people who refuse to use facebook. There are other reasons than this, but this is the main one that I can see.
[/collapse]
That's one of the reasons why I don't want to join facebook, yeah.

But not like anyone really cares whether I have one anyways. :079:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Heh, never heard about the surveillance of other websites, even while logged off.
Gives me more reason to dislike Facebook, lol. :applejack:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I hate Facebook because anyone with a Facebook demands I get a facebook. and then gets pissed at me for not helping them with there farm. :l Theres a destructive blackhole nature about that site. ._.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
The "Facebook surveillance when you are logged out" is a load of bull, because the Facebook cookie is machine-specific, not user-specific. It doesn't create a new cookie for every user who uses the machine to log in to Facebook. It doesn't try to come up with ads targeting you because it doesn't know that you are the only one using the machine. The only sites the cookie recognizes are sites that have the "Like" plug-in, and then its only purpose is to allow a secure log-in if you want to "Like" something but are not currently logged in. All the lawsuits against Facebook on account of this supposed "surveillance" have been thrown out by courts who recognize them for the bull**** they are.

/rant

PS I'm not trying to demand that anyone get a Facebook. And I hate that stupid Farmville game.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Facebook's surveillance isn't illegal, that's why the lawsuits are getting thrown out, not because it doesn't exist. And they don't use cookies for it either, I don't even see how that would work. :dizzy: Cookies are for keeping you signed in and things like that.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
What Spelt said. Also,

Take it as you will. They say they don't sell your information to advertisers, but that doesn't mean they don't just give it to them. Maybe that's going a bit too far and I'm wrong, but I'm pretty suspicious that they could easily change this later without notifying people.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
@Spelt Yes, they do use cookies for it. The Facebook cookie remains in your machine when log out, although it behaves differently between when someone is logged in and when nobody is logged in. The only other way they could do it besides a cookie is a virus.

Also, when I said "the surveillance is bs," I meant that it does not compromise your privacy. Because the Facebook cookie is machine-specific and not user-specific, there is no connection between the cookie and your personal information when you are logged out. The "logged out" cookie is basically a tool to help Facebook stay secure: by providing you with a secure log-in, it prevents a third-party site from designing a fake "Like" icon that links you to a fake Facebook log-in screen where they can steal your username and password (phishing). Another cool thing the "logged in" and "logged out" parts of the Facebook cookie can do in tandem is detect suspicious behaviors, such as logging in to many different accounts from the same machine in a short period of time (possible spammers/hackers), or being logged in to one account for a long period of time but occasionally logging into a different account for a short period of time and then immediately logging back into the first account (possibly a minor creating a fake account with a fake age to access mature content).

@Sapphire All that stuff is what the "logged in" cookie does, and it's what cookies have been doing for a long time now. The lawsuits and complaints have to do with what the "logged out" cookie does. If they change their third-party policies later on without notifying people, then they are total scumbags, but that's not the issue at hand.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, I know how cookies work. How are cookies machine specific? If one person signs in and out then another person signs in they're gonna get a new cookie. There might be multiple user friendly ones that don't change between accounts, but the ones that handle your personal information are definitely user specific, and if they aren't that's just a huge privacy violation right there. and a virus isn't the same thing as spyware.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I can't explain it to you if you're not willing to listen or do some research of your own ... **** this thread. I may have disagreed with you, but I never mocked you.

Top Bottom