• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Aww spelty. If thats true, then you are the most lovable lump of cancer ever~! <3

I thiiiiink bee's was joking, yet, know theres some truth behind it that I talk too much about nothing. hm. I need someone to talk about nothing with that enjoys my nothing. I miss arizona and my minions friends.
emo.jpg

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Wow. and that means something when it comes from a dood that watches a show about ponies, rainbows and the magic of friendship.

No romance, just bromance dood. <3

Bees!

Smash Ace
I thiiiiink bee's was joking, yet, know theres some truth behind it that I talk too much about nothing.
Yes I was joking, just about everything I say in here is joking. And no you don't talk to much about nothing. there wasn't any truth there. I just seize the moment to post something funny whenever I can.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, how about instead of complaining about the thread's quality, try to make it better?

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Ok, here goes my attempt at it then:

I think science fiction is the hardest genre to write, because of keeping the universe believable. The genre is defined by a new scientific breakthrough and showing how it changes life for the person or people that interact with it. Really, science fiction isn't supposed to show just humanity in space, it's supposed to be a genre about coming to terms with something never before experienced.

With that said, it is fiction, or the plot device isn't usually real, at least at the time of writing. Whether it's a submarine capable of going to the bottom of the ocean and revealing to humanity ancient beings that are beyond our experience, or meeting an innocent extraterrestrial being and being forced to defend them, you have to leave behind your grasp of the world and reach into the unknown. The difficulty in writing it comes from keeping the rest of the universe in tact and real to the reader. Humans are still humans, so you can't just focus on one character. Interactions with new things change everyone, for good or bad. The first humans at sea for more than a month likely went mad from the experience, and every new scientific achievement of comparable scope will cause such things. I'm going in circles here, but just imagine being on the first shuttle to mars, being with the same group of people for years, no where to separate yourself from them and come to terms with everything.

I guess what I'm saying is that science fiction requires an amazing understanding of humanity, and incredibly in depth character creation abilities. More so than any other writing, in my opinion.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
One of my favorite books is probably Sphere by Michael Crichton. It's mostly a psychothriller, but the syfy elements that make the plot turn is the craziest ****. Which is why it worked so well - it was about the people dealing with this completely unearthly thing.

Plus it combined my worst fears: underwater, and girls dying.

The movie is terrible, but the scene where Queen Latifah gets attacked by a mob of jellyfish haunted my childhood.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh lol. I was expecting talk of videogames but that works to. Everyone in this threads got a megabrain. :D
Really. You guys are so smart I feel kinda outta my league here.

Science fiction takes a special kinda mind to write. Most people are classified as either a left sided brain (logical thinker, breaks apart situations to analyze) or a right sided brain (artistic, imaginative, looks at things as whole) science fiction combines those two, so it would have to be someone that has both an imaginative and logical brain to right a truuuly good one~! It also seems like a type of genre that you'd have to be inspired to right. Like for example in school if you were assigned to write a short science fiction story you'd be pretty stumped at the time because you're put on the spot. But lets say you were researching something like, space. We do know quite a few facts about it, but theres still alot thats unexplored. If something about history or science is unexplored or can't be explained by anyone you can sorta innovate you're own ideas into it.

Ha, sorry if I sound dumb. Just my thoughts. I actually have to write a science fiction story for a school report over next week and i'm pretty stumped. ._. I was thinking about making a story about religion and its possible relationship to the "apocalypse" that was said to be in 2012. Theres surprisingly a lot of links between the two. Not that I believe they are linked, but they can be linked.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think you need to be borderline insane to write a good science fiction novel.
Like JK Rowling.
If i knew her IRL i would be scared.
But i guess you could say that they're just so beyond our intelligence level, they seem scary because they comprehend things we could never understand.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ha, its just an intelligent gap spelty. =p My best friend has ambitions to be a writer, and he shares all his ideas with me. Hes FAAAAR smarter then me too. The thing that makes intelligent writers so intimidatingly smart, is not because there intelligent. But because they use there intelligence and knowledge to make fictional worlds, lifes, and scenarios with it. Its kinda like if you met god, and god started telling you about his visions of how he created the world in his image!

Bees!

Smash Ace
goddammit no ****in ****. I ****ing hate life right now. Rather than it ****ing me over and over again it can go **** itself. ****!

Bees!

Smash Ace
just getting older ****. And **** that is getting older and just fed up with.
No disrespect Sunnysunny but since I am still on the fencepost about you being an alt I would rather not share my feelings with you as if you are an alt then I question your motives on this. You could be mocking everyone in Colorado. So sorry but no. I tend to not trust people to that extent until I see them in person.

Just understand that before I share with someone I would like to verify that their very existence in the thread, or site isn't a farce.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh...

I thought you guys were just joking about that. Thats cool though. No ill intentions just trying to be friendly. :D Its fine though. This is stuff you discus IRL anyways.

I guess I can give more about me.

16 years old
real name "anthony brunengo" AKA MANthony
Student at connections academy, moved to peyton around saaaay 3/4ths of a year ago.

At the risk of being hunting by some child abductor I can send pics in private. Oh also getting my drivers license on tuesday ooor next tuesday. If I pass. So it'll be easy to get around. Hurr I can kinda relate with you though bees. I'm getting kinda fed up with a house full of 7 people and 5 dogs. >w> It gets seriously exhausting. Its like my whole house has just lost personality lately out of exhaustion. mm anyways we should totally wallow in self pity together when we meet. C:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Is harry potter really science fiction? I don't consider it to be.

My favorite science fiction books have been Ender's Game by Card and Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke.

I'm in the middle of 1984 right now, and I really enjoy it. Before I started this book, I almost forgot why I loved reading.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I can't wait for the future to happen so we can all have wands.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Ender's Game is an amazing book. And fantasy is sometimes considered a part of science fiction, for reasons that I forget.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Ender's game is definitely an amazing book. It turned me on to Orson Scott Card. The ender's series is okay imo, but I loved the Ender's shadow books.

SO I finally got a friend from school to tell me what's wrong with my desktop computer. Apparently my dad cheaped out on the wireless card and I needed to upgrade my drivers. So now I have a 30ft long ethernet cord running from under the TV in the living room to the desktop in my bedroom. I can now play games like Bioshock 2 and Crysis on my computer.

Playing LOL first.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
So I've overheard a lot of conversations this school year at CU and overall I'm pretty disappointed in my peer group. Nearly ALL the conversations I hear between girls are cold, mean gossiping sessions about dormmates or "friends". Honestly, I don't believe most girls are even friends with their friends and are just using them to increase their popularity/emotional support. From the guys, all I hear is about them getting "****ed up", their amazing promiscuity, or how much of a ***** their teacher is for assigning homework.

These people suck. I miss my IB friends. And I want to find a group of friends that don't have to get high before ****ing everything. Honestly, sometimes it's ok to see a movie sober. ****.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
You could try joining a club/sport. Then they would have that to talk about.

science fiction 
–noun
a form of fiction that draws imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc.

I still don't get why books like Harry Potter are science fiction, but my teachers all said it was...

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Honestly, sometimes it's ok to see a movie sober. ****.
Hahaha

It's becoming more and more difficult to avoid becoming one of these people, considering how much I'm exposed to it now.

I still don't get why books like Harry Potter are science fiction, but my teachers all said it was...
"Fiction" is the only thing it has in common with science fiction.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Hahaha

It's becoming more and more difficult to avoid becoming one of these people, considering how much I'm exposed to it now.
Too be honest I'm completely one of these people. I just wouldn't be if I could find more friends who aren't ridiculous with smoking.

Steam

Smash Hero
IB frandz.

I'm going to miss it purely because IB at my school is like 75% girls. most of my actual friends are non-IB :/

but I'm not going to have to deal with dylan's crisis at mines... because it's mines...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So I've overheard a lot of conversations this school year at CU and overall I'm pretty disappointed in my peer group. Nearly ALL the conversations I hear between girls are cold, mean gossiping sessions about dormmates or "friends". Honestly, I don't believe most girls are even friends with their friends and are just using them to increase their popularity/emotional support. From the guys, all I hear is about them getting "****ed up", their amazing promiscuity, or how much of a ***** their teacher is for assigning homework.

These people suck. I miss my IB friends. And I want to find a group of friends that don't have to get high before ****ing everything. Honestly, sometimes it's ok to see a movie sober. ****.
Thats the coolest ****ing thing someones heard in this thread for awhile~! This is one of the reasons I became homeschooled. It felt like everyone became really one dimensional in highschool. Heck the first person I talked to when I went to CO's highschool only talked about getting baked and how awesome it was. Thats cool if its his thing but im not really into that stuff. It was the same thing at my old school too. But it was awesome because my best friend lived right next to me, so I could hang out with him whenever I wanted. Hur and yea, the amount of gossip that went on amongst the girls was rediculous. Everytime my girlfriend wanted me to hang out with her friends it was all gossip talk. Highschool girls can be so judgmental and fake. =/

Top Bottom