• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cliché Thread: Best Film I've Ever Seen

Kira-

Smash Champion
Scott Pilgrim must have done really really poorly, didn't get picked up by any smaller theaters at all (I really wanted to see it at my local dollar theater).

Closest one showing the movie is in Brea. Guess I gotta wait for the dvd

Brian

Smash Journeyman
It's not underrated, it's just kind of a niche film. For the most part, it's going to interest people (mostly men) that are like 13-30. And it got really good critical buzz for the most part. It's just that it's not going to be for everyone.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Thoughts on Scott Pilgrim:

- SO sick, I can definitely see why it didn't do well in theaters, but it's so adrenaline filled that it's good entertainment no matter how you see it

- Wouldn't be nearly as good on a tv.. so I'm glad I saw it in theaters. Probably going again this weekend

- Not like any movie I've seen before- really really different, but also FUNNY, the gay roommate and Pilgrim's sister were awesome

- Worst part was Michael Cera doing the same act for the 10th time. Also after all that crap I did not want the girl anymore.. probably woulda looked for someone who didn't get thrown around so much

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
yeah, the only bad thing about the film was cera.

but **** the movie was so smart. like i expected all the jokes / sense of humor from the comic
but they like already outmindgamed me for expecting that and hit me with new hilarious jokes (that were a little different sense of humor)

idk. im glad u went

Brian

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the Michael Cera hate. He's good at what he does, and I don't care if I've seen it 10 times before, it usually makes me laugh. I also can't really blame him, because he gets hired for movies because he's Michael Cera and then is expected to be Michael Cera. [Plus I don't think the character Scott Pilgrim is really all that much like his character in SuperBad other than they're both played by Michael Cera.]

I think like 10 years from now Michael Cera is going to be one of those guys that has a big come back doing serious dramatic roles when no one expected him to. I have a feeling he's a really good actor that's being asked to play everything in one sort of way, and when he get's old to be doing that he'll get a chance to show his chops doing real parts.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i like him. but i really feel like SP could have been cast a lot better.

like michael cera doing his thing is not similar to how scott acted in the books
even though it still kinda worked in the film

idk it took a few minutes for me to be like, yeah ok

Brian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, he comes off as just dumb in the books, which is different than how he is in the movie.

But really, I just feel like I need to defend Michael Cera because everytime him or a movie he's in is brought up everyone goes "UGH MICHAEL CERA JUST BEING MICHAEL CERA" yet when Jesse Eisenberg plays Michael Cera in Zombieland no one says ****.

bbb

Smash Champion
\But really, I just feel like I need to defend Michael Cera because everytime him or a movie he's in is brought up everyone goes "UGH MICHAEL CERA JUST BEING MICHAEL CERA" yet when Jesse Eisenberg plays Michael Cera in Zombieland no one says ****.
honey, I didnt see that movie almost exclusively because I thought that WAS cera

I even got in a big argument with someone about it

imagine my surprise

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
Yeah, he comes off as just dumb in the books, which is different than how he is in the movie.

But really, I just feel like I need to defend Michael Cera because everytime him or a movie he's in is brought up everyone goes "UGH MICHAEL CERA JUST BEING MICHAEL CERA" yet when Jesse Eisenberg plays Michael Cera in Zombieland no one says ****.
i wouldnt call it 'just dumb'
to me it was more like blissfully unaware but also kind of an idiot

idk i could relate to sp in the books, if not only for the fact that i got kicked out of my house too at about the time of reading. and scott really does see his world in terms of video games, which is funny

cera did a good job. but i still would have preferred someone else fleshing out the sp from the books rather than cera being cera. (even though i am also a fan. superbad was hilarious)

Kira-

Smash Champion
I don't get the Michael Cera hate. He's good at what he does, and I don't care if I've seen it 10 times before, it usually makes me laugh. I also can't really blame him, because he gets hired for movies because he's Michael Cera and then is expected to be Michael Cera. [Plus I don't think the character Scott Pilgrim is really all that much like his character in SuperBad other than they're both played by Michael Cera.]

I think like 10 years from now Michael Cera is going to be one of those guys that has a big come back doing serious dramatic roles when no one expected him to. I have a feeling he's a really good actor that's being asked to play everything in one sort of way, and when he get's old to be doing that he'll get a chance to show his chops doing real parts.
Thats probably the difference, his character isn't funny to me, he's not the one that got me laughing. I agree with everything else you said though

agree here too, Eisenberg was the worst part of Zombieland lol. The twinky dude was the best, forgot his name but he's a great actor

Also I thought SP was cast really well, good performances dude

Brian

Smash Journeyman
did you watch arrested development? I watched that show when it first came on the air, when Michael Cera was still a little chubbo and loved his character then. i think that's probably the main reason i like him.

the real problem is that he's been in some bad movies (nick and norahs infinite ****list, etc) that detract from the fact that he has really good natural comedic timing that really make his performances great.

i think if you showed someone who had never heard of/seen Michael Cera a few episodes of Arrested Development, SuperBad and then Scott Pilgrim they wouldn't think negatively of him. It's just that he got over exposed after SuperBad and now there's a backlash.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
**** michael cera is really funny lol
i kind of forget sometimes

also SP dvdrip is up if you know where to look

and jegus christ that move was SO SMART
like the scene where he washes his hands

fuccccccccccccccccccccck

also every other character was cast really well IF YOU ASK ME

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Youth in Revolt was pretty painful to watch.

But Michael Cera does have his moments, despite his Morgan Freeman-like ability to be the same character in every movie.

debaser

Smash Lord
I like jesse eisenburg. seemed a bit more 3d than cera in adventure land. zombieland is a different story, but he just had an annoying character.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i stopped watching adventureland because of eisenberg. his performance seemed so mannered. it was like he was pausing between each word to emphasize how awkward he was. i couldn't stand it after 20-30 minutes.

he was good in the social network because he broke free of the awkward teen/young 20s mold. he played a character with some cajones and it showed.

literally i felt like he was playing michael cera in zombieland though. it was like they wrote the part for cera and he turned it down so they found the "next best thing" in jesse eisenberg.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
**** michael cera is really funny lol
i kind of forget sometimes

also SP dvdrip is up if you know where to look

and jegus christ that move was SO SMART
like the scene where he washes his hands

fuccccccccccccccccccccck

also every other character was cast really well IF YOU ASK ME
you **** for revealing to me how a dvd quality rip is up. its dling right now. ****

Brian

Smash Journeyman
just watched the dvd rip on my xbox with my roommates
movie is pretty good, i still think there are some lines that fall flat. if this wasn't such a week year for movies i'd honestly think it was fairly forgettable.
(and i hate the
"ciao, knives"
line)

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffff
uck

me too that is probably the worst line in the movei LOL

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i literally cringed the first time i heard it
plus it makes it sound like
her name is only knives chau so he can say that. which makes me mad, because it's probably true. (for the record, i can't remember if it's in the books but it seems like it would be)

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Actually Scott Pilgrim was almost completely awful.

Terrible acting by almost everybody in it. They tried way too hard to make it "cool" by overdoing the **** out of video game references. Ramona was a whiny emo attention *****, she reminded me of the main character from Twilight. Knives was completely normal until Scott Pilgrim meets Ramona, and all of a sudden Knives is a completely different (insane) character.

There's no real emotion or consistency in a movie with no interesting characters.

Garbage.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I don't think I could ever get bored of watching Kill Bill part 1, the movie is so amazing.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Le Roi et l'oiseau is very good. If you want to see it, make sure you watch the 1980 version rather than the one from 1952.

Top Bottom