• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cliché Thread: Best Film I've Ever Seen

Brian

Smash Journeyman
kira just watch the wire you ****ing philistine
for realsies. in fact, i'd say that watching the wire should take priority over everything else for anyone who hasnt seen it yet. it's soooo good.

on Black Swan:
I remember liking it in the theater, but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. It's a really thin movie (thematically), but it has beautiful cinematography (I thought that this would win the Oscar because the dance sequences are amazingly filmed). It's worth watching, but it's not something to run out and drop your money on. I should probably watch it again...

Brian

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully I wont get infracted for this DOUBLE POST but I got a new hot recommendation for y'all

I SAW THE DEVIL
I Saw The Devil is a Korean revenge film from Jee-woon Kim, the director of A Tale of Two Sisters and The Good, The Bad and The Weird. The basic premise is that a serial killer/rapist murders the fiancee of a secret agent. The secret agent (played by Byung-hun Lee of The Good, The Bad and The Weird and GI: Joe) sets out to take revenge on his girl's murderer. But he isn't just looking to kill him, he wants to inflict the maximum amount of pain and suffering as possible.

This is an incredibly violent and often hard to watch flick. Jee-woon Kim is almost too proficient in portraying the horrific violence. It's a grotesque film, but it never feels like it's that way needlessly.

It's impossible to watch it and not compare it to Oldboy. Especially since Choi Min-suk, star of Oldboy, has an excellent turn as the serial killer in I Saw The Devil. But tonally and thematically, they are very different pieces. This is a film about the evil in all of mankind and what happens when humans are pushed to the limit of their existence.

It's a little bit more style than substance, but it's a really well made movie about the horrors of humanity.

I think it's getting a limited release in theaters (it might be out now in your area!) and you should be able to find around for download.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Just watched Howl's Moving Castle.

Its themes were so dense that I felt like th movie left a lot of elements to the viewer's interpretation. The Alice in Wonderland of Japanese animation.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The only thing I remember about Howl's Moving Castle is that I disliked everything about it except for the animation. I haven't liked any of the few Miyazaki movies I've seen, for that matter, although I still need to watch Spirited Away.

Hopefully I wont get infracted for this DOUBLE POST but I got a new hot recommendation for y'all
I don't mind if there's a lot of time between the posts. I know that's a bit vague, so let's say that "a lot of time" means at least a couple days.

bbb

Smash Champion
yea thats a good one

also worth watching is dead leaves, I'm pretty sure I've said that before, but it's ****ing sick

Kira-

Smash Champion
I saw Blue Valentine. Definitely a great movie, but not without its flaws. The biggest one was that the relationship is pretty one-sided; Michelle Williams is rarely at fault for the failure of the relationship. I loved the realism and accuracy a LOT, it was very refreshing to see something that was so close to home. Definitely could feel the frustration and despair that the characters felt, it was good.

Am I the only person who disliked Oldboy? Wasn't that great imo

I don't remember much about Howl's Moving Castle except that I loved to look at it, and that I hated the ending.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
I saw Blue Valentine. Definitely a great movie, but not without its flaws. The biggest one was that the relationship is pretty one-sided; Michelle Williams is rarely at fault for the failure of the relationship. I loved the realism and accuracy a LOT, it was very refreshing to see something that was so close to home. Definitely could feel the frustration and despair that the characters felt, it was good.
I think the relationship isn't really one sided, it's just that the each side is at a different place in their lives.
He's an alcoholic working a **** job with no ambition or 'future', but he still loves her 100%. She just doesn't love him anymore. It's harder to portray that side of it because it's such an intangible thing. I thought there was kind of a nice duality between love at first sight and falling out of love.
I want to watch it again, but it's not something I can just pop-in whenever I want.

I think you're kind of alone on not liking Oldboy. It's not perfect, but I really liked the, uh, "high drama" of it. It's kind of an operatic movie, with big grandiose plans at work. It's really well shot and Choi Min-sik is just amazing in it (I'm gonna have to start seeking out movies he's in, because after Oldboy/I Saw The Devil I'm realy impressed).

Kira-

Smash Champion
I think the relationship isn't really one sided, it's just that the each side is at a different place in their lives.
He's an alcoholic working a **** job with no ambition or 'future', but he still loves her 100%. She just doesn't love him anymore. It's harder to portray that side of it because it's such an intangible thing. I thought there was kind of a nice duality between love at first sight and falling out of love.
I want to watch it again, but it's not something I can just pop-in whenever I want.
He still loves her because she doesn't frustrate the **** out of her and she doesn't blow him off and refuse to understand anything he's trying to say. He still loves her because she tries her best to be a great wife and make him happy even when she doesn't feel like doing it. I can't say the same the other way around.

I always wondered, for those who haven't been in a serious relationship like that, what do they think of films like this? I obviously haven't been married or had kids but there's been enough to relate rather well to some of the more subtle parts of the movie. Is it the same for others?

Brian

Smash Journeyman
I've never been in a serious relationship. While there might be subtleties that are lost on me (it wouldn't be the first time), I feel like I'm pretty good at understanding emotions and interactions so I'm not missing much. (But at the same time, this could totally be Dunning-Kruger effect in action).

I really need to watch Blue Valentine again. I don't recall the paths of communication being that one sided. But then again, there's a possibility that I didn't see it that way because I don't have that same experience you do.

Kira-

Smash Champion
it has matt maconahay

Who knows why I noticed the one-sidedness, point is the movie rockedddDDDdddd

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
is anyone going to see paul this weekend?

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i might go catch a matinee at some point
it's getting mediocre reviews so i might save my money and wait for a home release

next movie i see in theaters will probably be sucker punch

CableCho57

Smash Lord
so I watched this free screening of Limitless today and it was pretty entertaining. The actions scenes were pretty cool, the visual effects of the "pill vision" were pretty innovative and Bradley Cooper showed a lot versatility in his performance. Although the trailers portray De Niro as the main antagonist, he didnt really play much of a role, and his character had little development, but besides a few random unanswered details, the movie was pretty good, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a thriller you dont have watch with a grain of salt

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
sucker punch

well right out of the gate, the music choice is horribly cheesy. the story line is whatever, but the main problem is that the movie is really depending on sex appeal and raw action to keep the viewer immersed, and it doesnt really aim to keep your suspension of disbelief. like, wait, what? happens enough times for it to be written off as a ****ty movie.

ok so now imagine everything you have ever thought was cool in any way shape or form. especially the stuff that was awesome, but cliche, but cool despite itself. now combine every single one of those things together. all the cool anime cliches and video game effects. its cheesy, and cliche, and embarassing to watch

BUT

it is pretty fukken cool despite itself. the girls are pretty hott and there is a lot of action. pretty god damn funny at times too.

so if you dont mind feeling really lame for liking something OH SO CLICHE
and dont mind waiting like 20 minutes for them to cut the ****
and the ending was ****ING LAME JESUS CHRIST

youll probably like it
i dont like regret my purchase, but i still would have rather seen rango

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
REALLY DAVE
hm
all the animation students have been raving about rango

also the protag was like my second least fave
that chink and vanessa hudgens
AND the short hair girl

dayum

Brian

Smash Journeyman
ive heard rango is good from people i trust.
everyone should watch SUSPIRIA if they like horror movies. the score is just as scary as anything in the movie. totally loved it.

and ill throw out some recommendations for stuff i watched recently on netflix watch instantly:
THE THIRD MAN
Film-noir, stars Joseph Cotten (from Citizen Kane and other ****) and features an amazing supporting turn by Orson Welles. The score for this movie is unique and totally awesome.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON
Taking place during a scorching summer day in NYC, three men walk into a bank to rob it. **** goes awry, and they struggle to get out of their predicament. Manages to weave social commentary into a heist gone wrong. Features Al Pacino and John Cazale in the main roles.

Kira-

Smash Champion
So I am trying to watch The Graduate, but I got so pissed off watching I couldn't finish, man that kid is sooo ********. I mean "naive" or "sheltered" would technically be a better word but ugh, I gotta do something to renew my manhood like watch a Captain Falcon combo video or box a gorilla.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Coincidentally, I watched the Graduate a couple days ago. I thought some of the examples of his naiveté were pretty funny, like the boob-grab. I think overall the movie is a little over-the-top with some things, but really good nonetheless.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Win Win is probably in my top 3 now. Genuinely funny. I think everyone would enjoy it

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Recently saw Crash.

It sucked. How did this movie win best picture?

Probably the most overly exaggerated racist situations ever to be put in a movie. Not believable at all, stupidly stereotypical characters.

It's like, a movie about racism made by white people, for white people. Why does it even need to exist?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I watched that movie a few months ago, and it's intense as ****. It also has the Tetris music during the wedding! I wasn't 100% sold on the ending though and overall the movie I think was too long, but still a great movie.

The movie also brings up something I was thinking about lately. Michael Cimino's (the director) next film was a Western called Heaven's Gate which had the same kind of style and ambition as The Deer Hunter (and Cimino also had more control over the movie), but it flopped hardcore. Now, I haven't seen Heaven's Gate, but my question is, should one reinterpret a director's older movie in light of the newer one? The reasoning is that you have a better idea of what the director was 'going for,' and if the new movie is excessively melodramatic, then maybe the old one wasn't actually as good in the first place?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deer_Hunter#Revisionism_following_Heaven.27s_Gate

I actually started thinking about this after watching the Plinkett reviews of Star Wars I-III for the 3948th time, and thinking about the comments he made about how the new trilogy is what happened when Lucas had basically total control, and it leads you to wonder how much he was really responsible for the success of the old trilogy.

bbb

Smash Champion
idk, I've thought about that too

imo there are some movies/things that people created that were just TOO amazing, like it's impossible to follow it up. Some people may wonder why whoever is responsible was never able to duplicate it, but there are some things that just kinda stand alone, and don't need to be followed up. Actually some things lose their edge if there are a lot of similar movies or whatever.

but I never really think about directors, movies are big compilations of efforts, sometimes it's easy to tell who's responsible for why it's good, sometimes it's impossible to tell.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yeah, I don't know much about film theory and I've only really started trying to understand it in the last ~1.5 years. From what I have read in that wiki article, it used to be that directors in general had a lot of control compared to now, and Heaven's Gate was one of the movies that started a trend going away from that.

One of the things I've been trying to understand about movies is just what you brought up, how do you tell if X good/bad thing was a result of good/bad direction/editing/acting/producing/writing or some combination?

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i saw x-men first class
it's uneven, but FUN
and it feels like a comic book movie which is cool, not everything needs to try and be the dark knight
the cast is really good, especially michael fassbender as magneto.
i'd give it a B

WHA?

Smash Ace
the guy playing prof x stood out to me the most, at first it was cause he looked like a guy in early 20s and acted wise, which i thought was done well (but then learning hes close to 40 messed it up for me)
am i dumb for thinking he was that young?

also mystique looked weirdly chubby when she was blue...... n beast looked crappy compared to the x-men last stand version

but yea twas fun

CableCho57

Smash Lord
super 8 was aight. The mysterious supernatural phenomenom was not what I expected but it sure was thrilling(and funny) many times. Elle fanning continues to amaze me

xmen was pretty good too

Brian

Smash Journeyman
The kids in Super 8 are way more interesting than the "mystery" of the movie. Elle Fanning is really good in it. I was going to say something about how I'd hit that, but apparently she's 13.
Too old for me

I'd give it a B+, great summer flick. But not something I'll be buying on DVD or anything.

Top Bottom