• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

TKD

Smash Lord
He's not ranked. The TJ rank is pretty much a joke. We all know TeBeo would fit right into the amateur bracket, for example. If not all of our ranked players are "pro" then the rank itself is a joke. ...Completing my idea, if the TJ rank does not count, AC is not a ranked player. He's just a %@$#ing good "amateur".

PS: Future ranked player does not equal a ranked player. Not letting him in would be bias from knowing him.
EDIT: Unless you were joking, which I haven't considered.

.AC.

Smash Lord
we no hay rank de tj.lo borraron cuando quitaron todos los temas en los que habia spameado,solo stan los rankings de hace varios meses.

ps:mogx were you joking?

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
TKD, AC belongs in the Pro bracket. He's done pretty well at the weekly(weeklies?) he's been to. Perhaps he can enter both? I just think he's a little more than an "Amateur". If only rankers joined pro bracket it'd be 10. That's why it also says "Honorable mentions" or something along those lines.

Unless I'm totally misinterpreting which could be entirely possible. Don't mind the bidoof.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
@ TKD: I think Marco said something like "We'll also take players from out of town into consideration" (not a direct quote, as I'm obviously too lazy to go look for it). If that's the case, AC would be seeded into the pro bracket.

The TJ rankings aren't a joke, man. Give yourselves more credit. You guys are really good at this game :)

TKD

Smash Lord
This is my logic. Rankings are not subjective. Personal opinion is. Excluding AC from an Amateur bracket is only from personal opinion.

.AC.

Smash Lord
i havent placed well in the weeklies XD,nor have i beaten good people consistently.

ps:i am not amazing

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Honestly, it shouldn't be a big deal. I just personally think AC belongs in "Pro" bracket because he could give alot of the rankers a run for their money. Just sayin'.

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
we no hay rank de tj.lo borraron cuando quitaron todos los temas en los que habia spameado,solo stan los rankings de hace varios meses.

ps:mogx were you joking?
Yes, I was joking your still have a long way to go. But if you keep it up like that, your going to be in next San Diego Power Rank for sure.

Edit:
Just like A.C said, hes havent beat much people, and havent place so well. But he still was able to pull out some good stuff, like beating me for example, and some other ranks. But still keep lossing randomly.

And don't worry guys, in my ranking system i not only ranking the top ten. but as well, some other SD players.
Pretty much i qualifing 22 players from all san diego. This way i will be able to determine, who is going to be at the pro bracket.

TKD

Smash Lord
EDIT: I just understood the Amateur/Pro bracket thing. Pretty good concept. But LOL will people seriously play for 5 dlls, just because there's a better chance of winning?

Even amongst unranked people, there's a couple that are not bad, which will still discourage the others. And again it's just 5 bucks lol...maybe they'll be more encouraged to play, even with a lack of chances to win, only because they get to pay less...?

TKD

Smash Lord
El Cucuy, that it's some kind of mexcican demon, that parents used to mention when you didnt wanted to go to sleep.

Go to bed or the Cucuy in the closet will eat you. its kinda **** up to say that to a 5 years old. :laugh:
lol!
@MogX: Ya duermete antes de que te salga el cucuy o la llorona!
lo001l10l010l1010ol10ol1
I was Metaknight'd haha.
No wifi johns offline please. I hate wifi ppl.
lol cellphones,who needs them?
u do

PS: sorry for 2ble post i guess
super PS: I like Rickety. Introduced me to smash, kind of. =)

Awex

Smash Lord
TKD: I think the rules of this thing are pretty subject to change. Top 2 splits pot 70/30 in addition to free entry into Pro Bracket is what I picture being the prizes for Amateur Bracket.

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
I can see this gaining more tournament entries, but after the first couple tournaments, the people going may diminish due to financial reasons.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
EDIT: Oops... Meant to post in the NorCal thread.

Whatever.

Bone, if you still play, I want a MM at Genesis. I was the guy from CO that played Peach/Fox/Sheik at OC3, whooped on Boss, and then let you steamroll over me right after. I'd like to have some matches with you again, either way.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
It's 9 AM and I'm wondering what the weather is like in San Diego.

I've barely touched my Wii the last few weeks. I'll be honest. I've been feeling like I should quit the game. Like I've stopped improving and I'm never going to reach the players above me. I've always tried to avoid ever thinking I'd have hit my limit, but, well... it's kinda hard.

It'd be simple to say that the only reason I haven't just up and quit by now is because I'm too stubborn. But you know what? Let's give some credit where it's due. Namely you guys.

Yeah, I'm not afraid to say it. I love playing with you guys, nohomo. (maybe homo for a couple of you) I haven't been looking forward to a summer break this much since I was in grade school, just because I miss playing with all of you that much.

Well that's just about a month off now. You stay classy til then San Diego. Your favorite Lucario will be back soon enough.

It's 9 AM, and I'm going to go grab some caffeine and play some Brawl.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Stauffy, you're too good, man! Come back this summer, rock that denim jacket, and whoop some ***!

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
<3 Stauffy. Do it for Vincent Price and Freddie Mercury!

Back to the Discussion of the Pro/Am Nature:

At $4 an entry into the Amateur Bracket (including Venue Fee) I don't see financial reasons hurting as much as the current tournament pricing at nearly double that. We're essentially cutting the price in half for people that are not as confident about their skills.

And @ TKD: $5 has always gone into the pot for the singles bracket. Unless I'm sadly mistaken and Carlos has been putting more into the prize pot than I realized. And even then, the motivation shouldn't be to win money as much as it should be to play the game, have fun, socialize, and get better. If you want money, get a job. It's a bonus, not a priviledge. (Anyone else is more than welcome to disagree.) Paying to enter a tournament is to imply how serious the matches are; money is at stake, but it's not the end-all for our scene or why we all play the game.

And about the Issue of AC: I honestly don't think AC should be able to enter the amateur bracket considering how well he plays and what he has done. Not consistent, but well enough that it warrants merit, and he deserves the recognition of being in the Pro Bracket. But like Mog said, he'll plan for future rankings to consider Pro/Am discussions, and once I'm out of my rut, I'll try to get the blog active again.

Awex

Smash Lord
Nezumi: What Rickety said. San Diego Love all around. <3

Stauffy: Don't quit. I know being limited to wifi and non-San Diegans must be hard, but you'll be back in the summer. =)

Oats: I've been thinking about the blog for awhile. We've all been neglecting it. Once there's a final ruleset and post about the pro/am brackets I'll make a post about the upcoming CV29.

Havok: Details for tomorrow's tournament? Time/gas price/final carpool? =)

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
IS BONE ALIVE OR DEAD?!? OMGOMGOMG!

Sorry, guize, had like... an hour of sleep.

FAKE EDIT: I lied, I slept like... 7 hours, so I'm fine. I'm just bored.

TRU EDIT: You guys don't have anyone that mains Ness in SSBB, do you? Cuz I'm pretty sure our Ness main is looking to **** face at Genesis, and he'd love to see something resembling a challenger. He also might MM MetaKnight players with his Ness, but you'd have to PM him about it. Name is Timotee.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
@Nezumi: You're awesome, too. You actually laugh at my horrible puns and jokes. :p

@Stauffy: If you quit, I'll stay outside your window at night and continually drone, "Bidoooooof."

Any update on tommorow, Havok? If we end up canceling I have a speech workshop I want to go to. ;)

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
I really want to go to that tourney tomorrow, but I made plans to hang out with this girl I'm trying to start dating...

She's amazing :)

**Havok**

Smash Lord
k, the status:

me
awex
nyjin
fierce
i can fit another two ppl, nyjin bring a pillow if we do get moar ppl lol

i need to know TODAY who wants to go.

costs:
gas 5, food 10, tourney 14 total, 30 usd again.

i want to leave at 9am. awex at nyjins again?
writin on a ps3 sucks. i think i have a rough idea on the am bracket. will write later bout it.

$BONE$

Smash Ace
IS BONE ALIVE OR DEAD?!? OMGOMGOMG!

hey. i'll play you, but i really dont do money matches unfortunately. i don't play this game seriously unless, im in a corner i have to get out of.. i hope you haven't lost respect for me in that sense. i fair only for my friends. not c0cky a$$holes who play metaknight, who RUIN ALL the fun for everyone else by being unnessicarily competitive and overly opinionated about **** nobody really cares about.

if this is melee, then i am all for it. brawl on the other hand just raises my blood pressure unfortunately (as you can tell), i'll most likely pass on that.

Top Bottom